Boatmad.com

Old 22-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #1

Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Here is our article on the Venture Offshore Cup

https://www.luvmyboat.com/news/view/...-gained/12765/

Or Check it out under Powerboat News on the site.
www.LuvMyBoat.com
Ciao Geoff.

LuvMyBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #2

Geoff - with respect, if you're going to put "quotes" around things, at least use them for things that were actually said, and not some nonsense that fits the story you wish to write.

blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyBoat View Post
Here is our article on the Venture Offshore Cup

https://www.luvmyboat.com/news/view/...-gained/12765/

Or Check it out under Powerboat News on the site.
www.LuvMyBoat.com
Ciao Geoff.
As always there are at least two sides to a story and I'm sure that this story will live on for a while yet.

I doubt anyone wished this event ill but the fact remains that ii will be a shadow of what it could have been.

I was inspired to build a Marathon boat on the back of the success of RB08 which will probably live on in memories as the last great race unless things change, the boat was to be ready for RB12 but that got canned fairly close to the start and despite everything we got round Britain on our own missing out quite a bit due to dreadful weather (race organisers would have ended up with a trailer race if it had gone ahead) and contributed a bit to charity in the process. If people remember there was competition as to who could put on the next race - doubt there is a queue anymore!

When the Cowes Monte race came along I thought I had finally got a use for the boat but speaking personally when it came to payment number three after having paid two deposits I felt I had lost confidence in the event as to my mind not enough had been done and it seems I was not the only one. Collectively those that pulled out were blamed either wholly or partly for the cancellation.

I put my boat up for sale in January as I was unable to persuade my sponsors to part with sufficient cash to help me get the boat to Monaco, at that point like many others I believed that the race, being so close and still being supported by the RYA would still run, as luck would have it the new owner of the BananaShark Stirling had intended to race in the event but subsequent business pressures (in a very good way) meant he wouldn't have sufficient time to compete, as a result the race boat built for Marathon racing may have Cowes Torquay as the longest race in it's history, a great shame for those who made it possible, Kevin, Jeremy, Graham and all those who wished us well with the project and to them I thank you all very much indeed. As things stand with the state of marathon racing and the state of the high performance business in the UK it will probably be the only boat out of those moulds, at least for a while.

I wish all of the entrants in the trip to Monte all the very best and I hope it is a great adventure for you all and the event exceeds all expectations and is a source of inspiration for bigger and better events in the future.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimp View Post
Geoff - with respect, if you're going to put "quotes" around things, at least use them for things that were actually said, and not some nonsense that fits the story you wish to write.
Hello I am not sure who you are but I guess you are entitled to your opinion and if you are someone who I interviewed then I am confident that we got the quotes correct because I have the audio stored from every conversation, this audio was reviewed prior to printing.
My guess is that you are one of the VC people and as I predicted are attempting to justify your position, which is your right.
The amazing thing about putting an article out in the public domain is that we have had many emails form other people and several close to the organizers supporting our article as well as adding further proof to the evidence we had already collected.
I don't propose to discuss this event further on this forum should you wish to contact me please do so at the following email geoff@luvmyboat.com. Thank you for your reply, Cheers Geoff
Old 22-05-2014, 10:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Hello I am not sure who you are
My guess is that you are one of the VC people
Blimp is Foley!!!
Worsforwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 04:59 AM   #6

Hi Thanks for that, I made an assumption as to the identity which was confirmed by an email from Blimp. We have answered the email and the story stands. Thank you for your input I appreciate it.
Kind Regards Geoff Davies, LuvMyBoat.com
Old 23-05-2014, 06:32 AM   #7

Great read.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #8

Interests: Boating/4x4s/Fast Cars
Boat name: Namotu
Boat make: Extreme 24
Engines: 383 Mag Stroker
Cruising area: Channel Isles

Quote:
Hi Thanks for that, I made an assumption as to the identity which was confirmed by an email from Blimp. We have answered the email and the story stands. Thank you for your input I appreciate it.
Kind Regards Geoff Davies, LuvMyBoat.com
Cracking research you did then...
Old 23-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #9

Interests: Boats, skiing pets
Cruising area: wherever there is work!

Thumbs up

Brilliant read Claire

Mrs Smillie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
venturecup, ventureoffshorecup