Boatmad.com

Old 22-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #1

Interests: Powerboat racing & Rallying

P1 Meltdown?

When the 2009 calendar for Powerboat P1 was announced it looked as if the team, which took over after the sudden departure of CEO Jim O’Toole, had something to be proud of.

But now if you look beyond the smoke and mirrors, all is not what it seems, which is something of a shame.

Today I'm told that the ever changing venue of Bahrain has now been moved from season opener in March to maybe taking place in October. With no sponsor currently in place the Bahrain Government looked like stepping in to cover the shipping costs, but that still left a huge amount of money to find. Malta could kick off the championship in mid May, though there is on going discussions as to who is picking up that bill and how much it will be.

That leaves Turkey in mid June, which looks likely to be round one, and with the driving force of the German Searex Racing Team's Siegfried Greve behind it I expect the competitors will receive a hot and sticky Istanbul welcome.

Portugal was to be next but rumour has it that Portimao has decided that after being blown-out for the last two years by huge downpours, enough is enough and has thrown in a rather damp towel.

Sweden according to Asif Rangoonwala's blog will help the series grow as Scandinavia is an essential market for P1, and Goteborg should be an excellent new race venue at the start of August.

The end of August has a venue yet to be announced, and even an English venue could make a surprise appearance, one normally associated with Gold medal winning teams has been mentioned as a possible venue.

That just leaves Italy with a mid September race, and if you believe some of the stories, then the teams would be wise to leave their raceboats in the birth place of Pleasure Navigation for the 2010 season.

Only time will tell.

Then I did it to please others.
Then I did it for Money.
Chris Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #2

In the present economic climate i'm not surprised.

All racing this season and next needs to be on a shoe string.

This is only my very humble opinion

hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #3

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

"The end of August has a venue yet to be announced, and even an English venue could make a surprise appearance, one normally associated with Gold medal winning teams has been mentioned as a possible venue" - Quote..

Interesting run down on their season this coming year, looks pretty shaky to me. However, it would be extremely disappointing if they do as they say they are going to do and put the race on the same weekend as the CTC. That will do no favours to either the Cowes Powerboat Festival racers or P1 themselves as it could effectively split the two fleets. It makes no sense.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #4

And probably the wisest thing ever written on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
In the present economic climate i'm not surprised.

All racing this season and next needs to be on a shoe string.

This is only my very humble opinion
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Thats a first for me
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #6

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

And probably a last.
Old 23-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #7

Interests: finish the race
Cruising area: ww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davies View Post

That leaves Turkey in mid June, which looks likely to be round one, and with the driving force of the German Searex Racing Team's Siegfried Greve behind it I expect the competitors will receive a hot and sticky Istanbul welcome.
Cant think about a better venue racing on the "Bosporus" 2 continents at the same time ... Looks like it will be a top venue indead. It's better like this and gives us some more time .. also "we" struggled to get ready in time for Bahrain.
The new Searex is almost a fact , it's just about deadlines engines Dyno - pre season scrut - and shipping to Bahrain etc... let's say we are more relaxed now...as time was the worst enemy
ForTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Misery loves company
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #9

Whatever you say.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #10

Interests: Boats, design, advertising, music, movies, boats, boats, boats ;-)
Boat name: Speedy Canoe
Boat make: Aero 21
Engines: Mariner 150
Cruising area: Stockholm archipelago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davies View Post
Sweden according to Asif Rangoonwala's blog will help the series grow as Scandinavia is an essential market for P1, and Goteborg should be an excellent new race venue at the start of August.
The deal with Gothenburg has not been finalised yet. And even though it's a fantastic opportunity for Sweden to host such a great series as the P1 series, the choosen date for the race in Gothenburg is the same as the greatest swedish race of all times, the Roslagsloppet from Stockholm to Oregrund Archipelago race. Also, the same weekend is the European Championchips in Thundercat Racing beeing hosted i Oregrund. This is a great shame for the Swedish racing society but hopefully the P1 race i Gothenburg will be a success nontheless.

Best regards from Stockholm, Sweden // Jon Palmqvist
jonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
The deal with Gothenburg has not been finalised yet. And even though it's a fantastic opportunity for Sweden to host such a great series as the P1 series, the choosen date for the race in Gothenburg is the same as the greatest swedish race of all times, the Roslagsloppet from Stockholm to Oregrund Archipelago race. Also, the same weekend is the European Championchips in Thundercat Racing beeing hosted i Oregrund. This is a great shame for the Swedish racing society but hopefully the P1 race i Gothenburg will be a success nontheless.

Best regards from Stockholm, Sweden // Jon Palmqvist
Powerboat P1 continue to make the same mistake.

I have made posts on here against the ex-CEO who eventually admitted it was all about money.

When will P1 learn, that this is a small sport, followed by a small amount of people -and it will never compare to Formula One motor racing.

Didn't anyone tell Asif that in the early '80s Bernie Ecclestone was looking at offshore powerboat racing (and involved due to the Toleman connection) and F1?

I will never forgive P1 for the way they took on the 2008 CTC, and then dumped it 3 weeks before the intended start of the race.

Through this forum, and with a multitude of help, the CTC race proved what a broken idea P1 was.

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote