Boatmad.com

Old 19-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #1

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

P1 Usa

Interesting news coming out of P1, makes me wonder if all the problems in the European series and the smallish last season fleet of 7ish boats Evolution and not many more in SuperSport class are expected to either remain the same or shrink, and should the Americans pull out of the European series it would loose the gloss and probably most of the money

Article From P1 site ...

Quote:
. London-based Powerboat P1 Management Ltd. announced today that it plans to export its successful powerboat racing series to the United States with the formation of a North American subsidiary, Powerboat P1 USA.

"The United States market is critical to any multi-national company involved in motorsports marketing," said Asif Rangoonwala, Chairman of Powerboat P1. "We view participation in the USA as an essential element in our growth as a World Championship and as a business."

Powerboat P1 has successfully spent the last two years raising its awareness in the US market and communicating the unique opportunities it has to offer to the Powerboat P1 World Championship, which has held events on three continents, all sanctioned by the international governing body, the Union Internationiale Motonautique (UIM).

With the recent evolution of powerboat racing in the USA, Powerboat P1 determined that its considerable resources and unique racing format could best be used to help refine the sport in North America, with sanctioning from the USA representative to the UIM, the American Powerboat Association (APBA).

"The APBA represents 107 years of powerboat racing heritage, and is the oldest powerboat federation in the UIM," said Rangoonwala. "The APBA provides a high level of credibility to the sport, and we look forward to producing world class events with its sanctioning."

In December, APBA President, Mark Weber, hosted a meeting at the APBA headquarters in Eastpointe, MI, where he invited all of the US organizations to attend and discuss the future of the sport. The outcome was a positive exchange, where the APBA expressed its desire to embrace offshore racing and bring the sport back together under a common nationally and internationally recognized entity.

A central theme of the meeting included a sentiment that the autonomy and individual identities of the current racing series are important to maintain. However, the credibility and growth of the sport would still rely on a single governing body that can offer prestige and heritage, internationally recognized records and titles, as well as APBA 'Hall of Champions' recognition and speed record validation. Due to the size of the US market, the existing regionally based series could operate under a single national authority [APBA], just as the individual national federations operate with the UIM as the international authority.

The Powerboat P1 USA events will build on the very effective "power to weight ratio" format that has been utilized throughout the European series. Initial plans for the Powerboat P1 USA series include three v-bottom classes. Powerboat P1 USA would then represent a sub-set of other existing classes offered within the APBA offshore category, focusing on a limited number of classes for a Powerboat P1 USA Continental Championship.

The initial two-year plan includes intentions to work with the existing organizations in 2010 to more fully develop their regional races, laying the groundwork for joint productions of key race events in a 2011. Powerboat P1 USA will also work on a focused marketing and promotional campaign to inform potential teams, venues and sponsors of the opportunities and value that a Powerboat P1 event generates on a global scale; but, stresses that it is striving for strong relationships with all of the current racing organizations and event producers.

"Powerboat P1 brings a respected level of professionalism to a series within the APBA," said Weber. "As an
APBA sanctioned series, Powerboat P1 will enhance the event value to local producers and to our current organizations."

"With strong regional organizations running their local series and hosting specific P1 USA series events, there's an opportunity for a genuine unification of the sport here that the vast majority of the racers support," said Powerboat P1 USA Director of North American Operations, Martin Sanborn. "APBA has been the backbone of powerboating in the US for over 100 years, and it represents the credibility and consistency that offshore powerboat racing needs to finally bring the sport together with common purpose and internationally compatible rules," he added

Old 19-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #2

Also perhaps the Honda Tie up is not going to pay the kind of returns they are looking for, plus joining into the US series could kill off the USA teams coming into Europe to race after all they mainly do this to show off their boats abilities to the American market and as I mentioned before it appeared to me that the Americans were waning of P1 by the drop in posts and interest on the American forums, so this was probably the only way P1 was going to make any headwave if it wants to survive

Old 20-01-2010, 06:45 AM   #3

Boat name: The Rock - 66
Boat make: Doug Wright 32
Engines: Merc EFI 280s
Cruising area: Middle East

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfun View Post
Also perhaps the Honda Tie up is not going to pay the kind of returns they are looking for, plus joining into the US series could kill off the USA teams coming into Europe to race after all they mainly do this to show off their boats abilities to the American market and as I mentioned before it appeared to me that the Americans were waning of P1 by the drop in posts and interest on the American forums, so this was probably the only way P1 was going to make any headwave if it wants to survive
The Honda acquisition has been a disaster as there is little interest in the F4SA/P1 tie up. IE from teams. Four Nations were invited to meet the chief at the Boat Show and a deal is being discussed between the two. Four Nations represents the interests of over 20 Honda team owners who are largely disenchanted with F4SAs management.

If P1 had done a proper diligence first we would not be in this position but I think P1 will realise that you simply cannot throw money at an organisation and expect teams to rock up - especially in a recession and Honda is not full of rich people at the moment

What I have experienced is a desperation using PR to create a gloss but there is a cancer underneath as despite team surveys to P1 (Pity they didn't do that with Honda teams before the crazy tie up with Warsash and Co.s).
The initial attempt to force 225 people to buy 300 mercs from Cougar (IN A RECESSION???) and now they are back-tracking and P1 are quite rightly trying to get Four Nations to support - but making Four Nations feel they are not really needed?? The classic "I am weakening but I am not going to face up to it and maintain the tough exterior despite paddling underneath" Seems to be the order of the day.

The sad thing is that P1 is very sexy and beautiful on top but I, as a team owner, I am suspicious that like an iceberg, there is plenty of hidden stuff underneath which is covering issues - as I have done some research and the word on the street is that some P1 team owners are not that chuffed with the Honda deal.

Like I said before elsewhere they have done plenty of effort on marketing the events but not marketing to teams needs and after all surely an event with diminishing teams is not sustainable?

But this can be turned around but this would necessitate very close support of teams and that requires a little tap on the head, and a reality check by their management.

Actions, surveys are good actions but recognition of the real situation by getting as close as possible to customers in these times is key to the future of all series. But as usual egos and control get in the way.
Scream-it.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #4

Interests: Powerboat racing & Rallying

Just which American’s are you talking about?

To the best of my knowledge, the only American’s who raced last year in P1 were Nigel Hook, (who is British by birth) and Joe Sgro in the Lucas Oil Outerlimits team. This year Nigel has joined the Swedish driver, Michael Silfverberg, to race an Ocke Mannerfelt designed Vector 40 hull, in the Lucas Oil Scandinavian Offshore Challenge Team.

The other Outerlimits team which raced last year was owned by the Italian Giancarlo Cangiano. The Cigarette Smash Poker Team was owned and raced by Italians. The Fountain Lightning 43, Furnibo, was owned and raced by the Belgium team. Cranfields Wine was a German Team and last but not least Silverline was a British team.

If you check the SuperSport entry list, yes like Evolution, there is plenty of American products being raced, but no American teams. The way the rules are set at the moment means you are at a disadvantage by not racing something brought from across the pond, hence why Drew Langdon is going down the Fountain route for the coming season.

Whilst I have never been P1’s number 1 fan, to say ‘should the Americans pull out of the European series it would lose the gloss and probably most of the money’ is not correct.
Chris Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davies View Post
Whilst I have never been P1’s number 1 fan, to say ‘should the Americans pull out of the European series it would lose the gloss and probably most of the money’ is not correct.
Sorry, yes I apologise for that sweeping statement I did think of re-writing it after I posted it as the wording did not convey what I really meant to say, which was this ...

Whilst the runners and riders are European I have always felt P1 caughted the Americans, their PR machine aims towards the American's and their boat manufacturers it just seemed to aim that way and although I have no idea how much of an influence all that plays out in the financing of machinery etc to the teams and subsequent cash flow within the series I did feel that should the Americans completely cold shoulder P1 it would take their shine away and yes P1 is trying to be the F1 of the pretty coastlines, and brings a pretty good show to seafront towns and like many I really did enjoyed the P1 razz when it played out in the UK and hope perhaps one day it will return

Oh and I still think the SuperSport rule speed limits are well just that, limiting to the appeal and yes it's all about safety ... I feel if it was to be safe then they missed a trick when Drew turned up with his Buzzi in Supersport
Old 02-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #6

Well I may have been wrong in presentation but right in essence as we now know the outcome with P1 ... I would like to say again how much I enjoyed the P1 events attended and I am very sorry for all involved in the sudden pull out from Evo and Supersport in Europe, however what is someone's loss is often somebody else's gain and that could be the further rush to Endurance or more commitment back in the USA and talking of the USA where I first started this thread, P1 appear to really really want to court the Americans so much so they are in effect dumping the Euro series and running off to the USA to join in theirs ... the question is do the USA organisers who have kept it all going really need P1 at all, perhaps they may utilise the odd idea but they only needed P1 to showcase their wears in Europe they are quite capable as they always have been of presenting their wears over in their homeland

Always said the SVL series was well supported and one to watch at least they got that right

STATEMENT BY P1
A key element of that direction and strategy moving forward is the expansion into the North American market, where there are greater commercial and racing opportunities

The simple fact is, the USA and European markets are substantially different, particularly in the marine industry. Europe, a year behind the US, is now experiencing what the US did in 2009. The US also has a great advantage as we have the venues, the racers and the fan base.

The technology of the US manufacturers has revolutionized the sport, and is proven by the competition in both classes for the past several years. Donzi, Outerlimits, Fountain, Cigarette…they are indeed dominant in the sport and have seen their numbers in European sales grow as a result. The US changed the face of European racing and European racing impressed the Americans involved.

From a practical point of view, there are far more offshore racers, fans, and marine manufacturers in the USA, and that makes the Powerboat P1 race model a viable and sustainable platform. That is especially true when the additional Powerboat P1 principles of parity and competition rules are incorporated.

Powerboat P1 Management will continue to invest in the growth and development of powerboat racing in Europe and is projected to invest significantly in the USA this year; working toward the plans that we have discussed with teams and organizations for 2011 and beyond.

Powerboat P1 USA will continue to work with teams and organizations to expand the Powerboat P1 race platform, focusing on limited classes, professional teams, and an event format that is world class in nature. It will also work to incorporate the other platforms outlined in the statement provided by Rangoonwala, including SuperStock and Aquabike, providing event producers and organizations opportunities to benefit from multiple disciplines and an ocean-friendly festival format over multiple days.

We look forward to a great season of racing with the SVL class, and hope to be able to incorporate a similar contingency prize program for the twin engine boats as well.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #7

P1 asked for this ... they kept growing and growing and growing , increasing technology increasing rules , increasing B.S. these were pushing the sport's spirits backwards , it was not a matter of spirit and passion but a matter of money... eventually this left no choice to themid class private owned teams but to quit and leave , costs to finance a team in 2005 and those to do that in 09 ... TRIPLED. The sports golden years were 2003-2007 ... 08 and 09 were just clutch and reverse... should they have left it just a simple sport they would be booming with entries...
ufix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufix1 View Post
The sports golden years were 2003-2007 ..... should they have left it just a simple sport they would be booming with entries...
Lets just hope this line of thought will be present when the P1 influx to Marathon happens, along with all the rule change demands that I think are inevitable.

I'd rather see the rules in Marathon stay put `(or better still revert to a single C class as originally intended) even if it means the fleet doesn't grow as a result of the P1 meltdown. (once the ex P1 lot realised they wouldn't get their way, they'll probably conform and join in anyway)

Marathon must retain rule stability, if it does, it will continue to grow organically without the need for funding, unlike the highly financed type series such as Honda, & P1, where it's proved that when the cash tap is turned off, it dies overnight.

Failing all that, as P1 already have a set of rules, and a race style, the racers could just set up a club, and organise races of the same type, distance, course type etc, and continue as they are. (without the cash cow, glitz & dolly birds, which they wouldn't get with Marathon anyway)

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #9

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

I have to say, the last thing the apba needs is 2 more classes. I honestly could not work out what was what in key west and after some reading I found that alot of the classes only had 1 boat in it! But then again they could have some more world champions!
Old 03-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufix1 View Post
... 08 and 09 were just clutch and reverse... should they have left it just a simple sport they would be booming with entries...
Must admit last year I just did not have the enthusiasm for listing live or video watching as I have done in previous years and as I have always been a fairly avid powerboat follower something was just missing

Back to the UK based teams that have spent a lot of time and money on their boats to campaign for what was to be the coming season ... were they ??? ...

EVO

The newly imported Phantom 39' with Ilmors

Drew's new Fountain

what about goingleans new boat besides the CTC was this destined for Evo class

and in Supersport ...

The Donzi SW1 Capital

Martin Lai new 39' Pantera Racing Team

and also perhaps Martin Lai old boat the 39' Formula being redone
Old 03-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
numbskull

Quote:
and also perhaps Martin Lai old boat the 39' Formula being redone
For Marathon.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 03-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #12

Boat make: Cyclone/ Cyclone/Rinker
Engines: Merc 2.5 efi's/300XS/5.0 v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
For Marathon.
Yep for Marathon
Wacky Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #13
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:

The newly imported Phantom 39' with Ilmors
I think Vee's new boat was always intended for Marathon anyway.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #14

Goinglean's new boat

Our new boat was only purchased for Marathon..... well actually it was only purchased to beat Vee's new boat ......
Goinglean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #15
numbskull

So there we have it. Some new 'big hitters' for Marathon, plus some completely new designs, plus the old folk who've been with it since it started 3 years back, plus probably a few more.

If it can grow like this without the monster cash injections that other failing classes / concepts have had, we HAVE to maintain what is obviously a winning & attractive series formula.
I sincerely hope all the existing Marathon racers & interested parties will stand together if we're faced with pressure to change things to 'others' who want to come play in our game. We can't let Powerboat racing commit it's usual suicide scenario, just as things are looking up. I'd rather think of the redundant teams from P1 as a bunch racers (as in people) with the where-with-all & desire to race, rather than the actual boats. Those people can alter, or replace the boats. The people are harder to find than the boats.

Name another class (other than Zap/Thundercat) in the last 10 years that's grown in this way, without big money promotion being thrown at it (temporary glory every time)? This Makes Marathon pretty unique in my eyes, and a bit sacred. Certainly essential to the future of racing in the UK, and possibly Europe.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #16

I think if you were sitting in front of a P1 computer reading this you would have to say well done Marathon guys/girls ... GAME SET AND MATCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinglean View Post
..... well actually it was only purchased to beat Vee's new boat ......
As Jeremy Clarkson would say ....... and on that bombshell ... HAPPY EASTER boaters
Old 04-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #17

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

I've just completed a triple step 40' RIB design for Technohull - and hopefully we will see one racing Marathon (Round Britains anyway) with big power in the future, if all plans come together.

Will be very happy if it is calm or rough!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #18

Our super sleuth Cookee has the story in the bag ... see Cookee post ...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/p...7556-p1-2.html
Old 06-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #19
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Our super sleuth Cookee has the story in the bag ... see Cookee post ...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/p...7556-p1-2.html
To save people the trouble here's what I said:
I have had a 1 hour interview with Robert Wicks the CEO of P1, for the magazine I write for in England, and he said that the Superstock series that they acquired together with the the RIB World Championship and the Jetsport UIM Championship will all benefit from the budget they would have spent on P1, so if you believe what he says then it isn't financial - he also laid the blame on the venues and the teams not being professional enough and there not being enough boats and too many breakdowns leaving somewhat less of a spectacle making the sport "not sustainable".

I know that there are a large number of people who spent Easter on the phone trying to sort this out so that the teams have somewhere to race the boats. P1 are insisting they will be back in the big boats in two years ..............
In addition I really wish all of the crews the very best in getting what you deserve this year for all of the investment, hard work and effort into what became a dead series, and I look forward to maybe even seeing a race in UK waters featuring these boats - good luck!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #20

Cookee any idea what this statement means on OSO ...

Quote:
according to Daniel Cramphorn from Team SW1 they have already / should manage to run a championship with 19 boats in 2 classes and 5 confirmed GP venues so far.
... does it mean the teams have got together and decided to race at venues they can come to some agreement with here or overseas, would be great if one was in the UK, although I realise we have the ever growing marathon series with some really interesting boats entering but it is not so spectator friendly, although hopefully with the teams commentary's and video posting's it will not be totally hidden from the spectators point of view