BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinautic View Post
Any news, is it still happening?
The postponement of RB12? I haven't heard anything and I would be surprised to be honest.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #3

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinautic View Post
Any news, is it still happening?
A Round Britain Race will never happen again. Two excellent guys tried, Dean Gibbs in RB11 and Neil McGrigor for RB12 and they threw sheds loads of money at it but failed for five simple reasons.

1. Lack of entries - VERY IMPORTANT,
2. Difficulties with the RYA & officials - extreme is the word.
3. The Greens threatening death & destruction ("you might hit a basking shark and you are frightening the birds on the islands") - I'm serious, that's what they are saying. Now, even the French and Spanish are saying this so watch out LMC!).
4. Lack of Finance - you know - that thing called money!
5. Who the hell is going to spend two years of their lives - unpaid - to try to overcome those obstacles?

The environmental problem is progressively getting worse everywhere as more and more "zones" are being put in by the Greenies.

And don't tell me that I am being negative, because I've been there!
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #4

Such a shame, because as I see it, after the success of RB08 it could have, and should, have lead to a regular RB race.
A large amount of logistics would be in place as same venues used time after time, saving organisers time and effort
I believe previous entrants would buy new boats wanting to do better is time
it would be easer to attract new entrants, as easy to show what it involved last time.
The Green issue might be less intense, as proven from the last RB
It might be easier to raise ££ as can show and prove media exposure from last time round.

If you look at motor racing it is generally the same tracks/courses every year, no one feels the need to do something different.

Bring on a regular RB every 3 years says me !!!!!
wickedtopspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedtopspeed View Post
Such a shame, because as I see it, after the success of RB08 it could have, and should, have lead to a regular RB race.
A large amount of logistics would be in place as same venues used time after time, saving organisers time and effort
I believe previous entrants would buy new boats wanting to do better is time
it would be easer to attract new entrants, as easy to show what it involved last time.
The Green issue might be less intense, as proven from the last RB
It might be easier to raise ££ as can show and prove media exposure from last time round.

If you look at motor racing it is generally the same tracks/courses every year, no one feels the need to do something different.

Bring on a regular RB every 3 years says me !!!!!
I believe that the RB12 organisation thought that if they put on a race the competitors would enter in droves regardless of how they handled the race, with money lost on that and the original Cowes to Monte race it would take a lot of benefits and guaranteed sponsors to get any decent numbers entering again - IMHO!

Old 11-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #6

Interests: sailing ribing
Boat name: llyn raider
Boat make: 7m xs rib
Engines: 200 merc opti
Cruising area: n wales

Why they hell would anyone try and arrange another distance race when you see the stuff in the other thread! the spray hasn't even settled.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #7

Boat make: Nothing fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
[B]
5. Who the hell is going to spend two years of their lives - unpaid - to try to overcome those obstacles?
Errr, you?

"If it has tits, tyres or a transom, it will have issues"
PhatFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxs View Post
Why they hell would anyone try and arrange another distance race when you see the stuff in the other thread! the spray hasn't even settled.
Look at it from another point of view

Check out other threads it has been said that certain organisers thought that just by putting on a race entries would come flooding in. The shit that has been on other threads and the lack of entries proves that was a load of bull.
Maybe had others been more honest in the past about how they felt about the reasons for racing these organisers may of done things differently.

The guys I want to listen to are the ones who put there money where there mouth is and the teams who may race in the future.

If you can't take comments on a forum you sure ain't going to sit in a boat for 5 hours a day and get smashed around day after day.

In RB8 some teams nearly came to blows and they were mates at the start. Thats how tough it can be. What's written on here is just words.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #9

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

So how will you race when no one wants to organise a race because of all the aggr. And negativity?
Old 11-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
So how will you race when no one wants to organise a race because of all the aggr. And negativity?
Added to that is the constant threat of litigation and visits to coroners courts if the worst does happen.

For those that do attempt to put on races and the officials who get involved there appears to be very little benefit at the moment.
PKJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxs View Post
The original poster was (I think) asking the question as the RB12 race was officially "postponed" until 2014 - they blamed the Cowes Monte race for scuppering the entries in their race. History now tells us that the original Cowes Monte was under subscribed for whatever reason that isn't worth going into here.

You don't have to make a big leap to understand that the RB12/14 organisers wouldn't even bother now that the London Monte race is scheduled for next year on the basis that you can't do both (unless you're Gordon Compton as he would just go round Britain and carry on to Monte).

Much of the negative stuff on the Venture Cup is written by people who have issues with either the organisers or teams on it and not by people who are either potential real entrants or current racers - they may have some stories to tell after the spray has settled but that's for another thread and day.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Quote:
A Round Britain Race will never happen again. Two excellent guys tried, Dean Gibbs in RB11 and Neil McGrigor for RB12 and they threw sheds loads of money at it but failed for five simple reasons.

1. Lack of entries - VERY IMPORTANT,
2. Difficulties with the RYA & officials - extreme is the word.
3. The Greens threatening death & destruction ("you might hit a basking shark and you are frightening the birds on the islands") - I'm serious, that's what they are saying. Now, even the French and Spanish are saying this so watch out LMC!).
4. Lack of Finance - you know - that thing called money!

The environmental problem is progressively getting worse everywhere as more and more "zones" are being put in by the Greenies.

And don't tell me that I am being negative, because I've been there!
ML.
I'll apologise up front for saying this Mike but that makes for sad reading, it reads like a man beaten into submission. Of all the people, you know that a can do attitude is the only way to get anything off the ground.

Of course all of those items you list are hurdles to be overcome, and there are many more as both you are aware and maybe Barry alludes to, but it appears to me that we spend more time slagging each other off rather than collectively attacking the issues for the good of the sport.

I certainly don't have all the answers anymore than any individual here but collectively we could. As I said on the other thread the competitive element is best left to those behind a set of throttles as that is what the sport is about. A punch up between Marcus and Ole is going to sell a lot more tickets than one between Blimp and Ciao albeit the latter one could be funnier!

I and others had the most fantastic time in London / Southend and I was asked this morning by a well known South Coast man whether I would be coming down for CTC, I have to say the thought left me feeling rather cold after watching some of the bile spouted here.

Just consider, as I did afterwards, how ridiculous that is but it is the effect that it has and I have no doubt that it also affected attendance at VC.

Lack of entries / Lack of finance? Think about it.

So if we could have a discussion about the difficulties without it falling into another bitching session then I and others would gladly help out with that last bit on your list absolutely free of charge. However I would say that the offer is based upon promoting a sport we all have a passion for, not for making someone into the next Bernie Ecclestone.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #13

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorvator View Post
I'll apologise up front for saying this Mike but that makes for sad reading, it reads like a man beaten into submission. Of all the people, you know that a can do attitude is the only way to get anything off the ground.

Of course all of those items you list are hurdles to be overcome, and there are many more as both you are aware and maybe Barry alludes to, but it appears to me that we spend more time slagging each other off rather than collectively attacking the issues for the good of the sport.

I certainly don't have all the answers anymore than any individual here but collectively we could. As I said on the other thread the competitive element is best left to those behind a set of throttles as that is what the sport is about. A punch up between Marcus and Ole is going to sell a lot more tickets than one between Blimp and Ciao albeit the latter one could be funnier!

I and others had the most fantastic time in London / Southend and I was asked this morning by a well known South Coast man whether I would be coming down for CTC, I have to say the thought left me feeling rather cold after watching some of the bile spouted here.

Just consider, as I did afterwards, how ridiculous that is but it is the effect that it has and I have no doubt that it also affected attendance at VC.

Lack of entries / Lack of finance? Think about it.

So if we could have a discussion about the difficulties without it falling into another bitching session then I and others would gladly help out with that last bit on your list absolutely free of charge. However I would say that the offer is based upon promoting a sport we all have a passion for, not for making someone into the next Bernie Ecclestone.
You are probably right on all counts, too beaten into submission to argue. Good luck!
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
Engine tester

Quote:
You are probably right on all counts, too beaten into submission to argue. Good luck!
ML.
The last thing I would want to do is argue with you Mike, I can relate to all your frustrations. Discuss for the better good I can do though.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #15

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

First things first !! Join the Venture Cup Offshore Racing Club and offer your help. Talk to Simon Woodpower.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #16
Engine tester

That's the whole point Bob we don't all need to be members of every new club that comes along to offer united support to an event. The sport should not be disjointed further than it is already.

I'll stick with my membership with a certain gin swilling Welshman for the moment as a primary focus, SWP and the team already know where to contact me, as indeed they have been, if there is anything I can do to help them along with a particular event.

Unpaid, free and costly to my own pocket, just support to anyone that hosts a powerboat race over here as it is a sport I would very much like to see back where it was.

Now if I could just talk the association that I have recently resigned my 40 odd year membership from in protest for charging to support our sport and get them to think the same way maybe that would go some way to solving another one of Mike's problems up there.