Boatmad.com

Old 15-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #41

A northerly wind in Poole Bay never produces a snappers delight.

Mr.Ciao honoured us with his presence amongst the helter skelter and candy floss stalls on Pier Head.I think his role as race observer flagged a bit during the procedings with talk of a Liverpool v Arsenal match rivalling the observer bit.

Needles - Going Lean,Silverline ret
Camden - Circle Express 1st (62.32mph),TT Graphics 2nd (38.34mph)
Basic - B Project 1st (68.86mph),NWJ Services 2nd (58.23mph)

Unoembassy did not start (was taken back to Drivers on lorry after engine problems on route to Poole)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B PROJECT.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	25779   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIRCLE EXPRESS.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	25780   Click image for larger version

Name:	GOING LEAN.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	25781   Click image for larger version

Name:	SILVERLINE.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	25782   Click image for larger version

Name:	TT GRAPHICS.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	25783  

FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #42

Interests: photography, powerboat racing, motogp, anything that goes fast!

Needles

Just a couple of shots from the 'Needles Race'.
I beleive that Dave is doing the 'Midland Navy Salute'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	needles 1.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	25784   Click image for larger version

Name:	needles 2.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	25785   Click image for larger version

Name:	needles 7.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	25786  

snapper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #43

Shame for all those who made the effort to go and watch. I guess a lot of folks are saving the equipment for the event of the century..............
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #44

Interests: Racing Rubber
Boat name: Comfortably Numb
Boat make: SR9
Engines: Yanmar
Cruising area: Over there

Well a disappointing weekend for voomvoom.com as we ran down to Poole our port gearbox got rather hot. Jon changed the oil several times and we put the smaller wheels on so to give the gear box an easier time. Unfortunately it bit the dust on the way out to muster leaving us with no drive on the port motor.

Not looking forward to a slow run back to Southampton we decided to try and organise transport but to no avail. Thankfuly one call from Gordon McMath and he nipped out borrowed a lorry and we were back at base by 5pm big thanks Gordy your a star!

Even though we had a pooh weekend at least it didn't shit itself on the start run for CTC. Thanks to Bob and his team at the RM for a smooth weekend.
Numb Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #45

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Needles/Camden Races

Well, undoubtedley a disappointing day for A42, A47 & B110, & their shore-bound supporters.
But, as stated, better today than in two weeks time !
Well done to the 3/c, 3/b & Basic boats that attended.
I say - Well Done to Bob & The RMYC for staging the race.
Its not their fault, but IF we have a CTC next year, maybe a review of dates, & possibly questions to the key players in Marathon Racing, as to which dates they think best, for this race, would possibly help ?
(Must keep up my record of daily postings, Dean !!!)
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #46

Goinglean Race report

Zipped the boat round on the Saturday... no problem

Travelled out of Poole and on to the practice lap... all good,

Mustered ..... shot out from the start well , after about 3 miles had a small lead when the boat filled with a acrid smell of melting/burning wires, normally we would carry on but with 1100litres of petrol under my bum thought we would be best to stop & investigate.... nothing found. restarted & decided to do Lap 1 steady.... no smell... great.... lap 2 full speed, no smell but decided to invent our own course and went over a lobster pot...... vibrations soon after.

Stopped the boat, bit of reverse/forward/reverse...... restart... only to have the vibration really bad after 80 mph, decided to retire & save the boat from further damage.

After investigation in the pits we found an exhaust bracket rubber had melted on to the exhaust due to the heat of a sustained max speed start run (4 miles ish), the rubber had become molten & dripped in to the boat Hence the smell.... the bracket then became loose & the vibration is what we could feel through the hull

We removed the bracket & travelled back to Southampton @ up to 95mph.... all fixed..... a minor item that is best found now rather than as we approach Hurst on the Cowes 100

Again thanks to Bob & all involved for putting the event on even though numbers were down..... with out this dedication powerboating would struggle in 2010.
Goinglean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #47
Aged Member

Boat name: Savannah
Boat make: Princess 415
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: SOLENT

After Ol Beardy's send off in Cornwall, which was astonishing really,the last thing Brian or me really wanted was to do a race straight after, but we knew Ian would get the right hump if we didnt because of him. So we joined the crawl out of the west country, and made it to poole finally and set up C-13 to be safe and easy to drive and trundled round the Camden course yesterday. It was quite emotional at the end I have to say, and we were glad to get back and get the boat back on the trailer safe and sound.
Others werent so fortunate in terms of breakdowns and stuff and it was a very subdued prizegiving to say the least. But for us, it was back in the saddle and job done, and maybe we can look more positively ahead.

Dave
C-13
Old 16-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #48

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Really good to see the RMYC putting the event on trying their best to support racing. Just such a shame to see the poor level of support from the competitors. The season / sport cannot survive on just a good turn-out for Cowes - support the clubs and their events or the sport will die.....

The Needles (and Camden) has so much history and was such an important race once upon a time.
Old 16-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #49
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Maybe as mentioned elsewhere there could be some liaison with the dates between the clubs in future?

Apart from the obvious proximity to Cowes, it's nice for those of us that have wives and families to spread things about a bit - I would think this should be the RYA's job to oversee that .................

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #50

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

But the Needles used to be the week before Cowes so all the foreign boats could some over and have a shakedown. Really the two events were pretty much linked - then some complained that it too close and if there were problems there was not enough time to get ready for Cowes.

As many work around Cowes and are barely ready for that - then if the Needles is moved even futher timewise will that just make things even worse?
Old 16-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #51

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

the numbers on that phantom dont look legal to me
Carl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #52

Just a quick couple of lines for now, will be back with more details from the weekend later.

We were talking with John Moore at the end of last year about a 3 race series for the Needles and Cowes, but then found out that the 4 day Bournemouth airshow was the weekend before Cowes, with up to One million people and 1,000 boats in the bay it would not be possible to run our event, we had a chat with the BPRC on Friday night about next year, and it's possible we could hold the final's the weekend after Cowes, as the airshow is planned the weekend before again.
But all of this is another year (and another set of rules !!!) away.
RMYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #53

Race Dates

All this talk of back to back races to improve the entry list in the future ,seems to be based on when International races were moved to August.
The Needles ,CTC & and Torbay were weeks apart until the lack of international competitors made the organisers think to change to a back to back format.
I would have thought the major concern from now on would be,who would travel to the UK to race.The U.S. are not interested,Buzzi has been lured by the 50th CTC,and difficult to see the Italians showing further interest after this year.Not a promising outlook.
Like it or not,from the weekend scenario it`s nose diving fast.Whether it`s a Round Britain or UK National racing,it seems `stability` and `commitment` are going to be words often heard.(Gawd,it sounds like Pompey Football Club).
Strikes me a central body needs to get all the likely competitors together and say,if we don`t commit moneywise to a series of all class races you will all suffer the consequences of no races being able to be organised.
There are people out there who are prepared to do the hard work of organising,provided they have a credible amount of backing.
No good saying I`m a special case and will commit later,that`s the very thing that`s killing it.
Use the websites to advertise race details even more,so people know what`s planned and that guaranteed entries are there.Stability again.
Once a hard core of commited racers are evident it will start to grow again.
Beardy was crying out for help to keep his class alive,so his dedication to the sport should be held up as an example to those who are undecided about committing.
Maybe this is all pie in the sky stuff,but the truth is in there somewhere.
Old 16-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #54

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

As one of the few that had gone to spectate I was very pleased to see some boats had turned out to support the RM event, however I still could not help feeling really disappointed at the overall turnout especially as their seemed even less boats than last year with the 3 fastest boats all racing in a class of their own. I did not expect a big turnout of class 3 boats as they have suffered in numbers for many years (with vary sadly one less) but I had assumed wrongly that with all the marathon talk quite a few would take the opportunity to have a shake down before Cowes, surely if Deans fountain had developed that problem on the way down to Torquay it may have resulted in their demise but as they now know this problem exists it's something else they have eliminated, surly this sort of testing/racing was ideal to iron out the bugs for the big one

PS ... First time I have seen Drew's P1 fountain WOW looked pretty impressive
Old 16-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #55

Interests: Rally Driving
Boat name: Double 2 Shirts
Boat make: Planatec 41
Engines: 2x625's+ From Uncle Sam
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
Strikes me a central body needs to get all the likely competitors together and say,if we don`t commit moneywise to a series of all class races you will all suffer the consequences of no races being able to be organised.
That would be in an ideal world Graham, but with the current economical climate I can understand peoples retisence to go down that route

Quote:
There are people out there who are prepared to do the hard work of organising,provided they have a credible amount of backing.
Backing - interesting choise of words.. I would put it more ciercintly and say "Commitment and support from racers"

Quote:
No good saying I`m a special case and will commit later, that`s the very thing that`s killing it.
I totally agree with you, perhaps a percentage refund could be the answer depending on the time scale before the event is taking place and in "Special Circumstances" Only, with the Organising Club being the Final Arbiter on the "Special Circumstances"

Quote:
Use the websites to advertise race details even more,so people know what`s planned and that guaranteed entries are there. Stability again.
Again I totally agree

Quote:
Maybe this is all pie in the sky stuff,but the truth is in there somewhere.
It's not Pie in the Sky - it's utopia and this is evidenced by the number in the Fleet on Sunday.
Old 17-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #56
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
But the Needles used to be the week before Cowes so all the foreign boats could some over and have a shakedown. Really the two events were pretty much linked - then some complained that it too close and if there were problems there was not enough time to get ready for Cowes.

As many work around Cowes and are barely ready for that - then if the Needles is moved even futher timewise will that just make things even worse?
Ah I see - I understand now! I guess it's the same old trying to please all of the people all of the time!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #57

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
the numbers on that phantom dont look legal to me
It races in sportsboat class, therefore no measurement cert, etc.
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #58

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

i can understand no measurement certs(like basic racing boats) but i would off thought that race numbers had to be the same
Carl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #59

I would put it more ciercintly and say "Commitment and support from racers"

.[/QUOTE]

What I meant Martin was entry fees paid up front.

It`s easy for me to say these things,as I don`t have to play the politic game for fear of reprisals,but the reality is,if an organiser can`t rely on solid entries,when a sponsor comes calling and wants to know how credible a race it is,it all begins to fall apart then and there.

If ever an organiser put pen to paper and wrote down all the things that were needed to be improved on to have a smoothly organised race, it would tar the organisers with a Mr.Nasty brush.

One problem is your dealing with a leisure pursuit,not a business,so you rely on the goodwill of so many volunteers,so to play the sergeant major doesn`t work,much as one would like to sometimes.

Whether the races are back to back or spread over a season,the main thing is to know in January what is planned,and start thinking about any new build the previous Oct to finish by May.(and I know that`s controversial,but I have the `T` shirt on that).
Old 18-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #60

I Would just like to close out this thread by thanking my Committee, the RYA Officials, Safety Boats and all the other volunteers that made this race possible, yes we lost money but hopefully we can all get together to make 2011 a more productive year.

The entry list and results will be posted on the club web site later this week.

http://www.rmyc.co.uk/?q=node/76

After the prize giving John Iddon lead a minutes silence in memory of Ian, and a collection was held for the Willow Foundation which Ian supported, this raised £370. If you missed the collection, donations can be made via the web site link below.

http://www.willowfoundation.org.uk/Home

RMYC is offline   Reply With Quote