Boatmad.com

Old 17-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #241

Something for Markus

From little acorns (well 1ft shorter),Cinzano is born.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1975 Portrait of a Winner.pdf (912.9 KB, 227 views)

FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #242
CINZANO 558

Interests: occasionaly work, if not out for boating
Boat name: CINZANO, Capriccio I+II and Propina
Boat make: CUV 38race, Sunseeker50 Cruiser, Sailingketch 55
Engines: race: ILmor, Cruise: Volvo D12, sail: Volvo D5
Cruising area: race:England, holiday: Mallorca, sailing: Netherlands

[QUOTE=FLYING FISH;183300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Hendricks View Post
But at the same time I do believe that there is not a construction speed limit on the CUV.
It turned out to be a 38 with a 1foot longer deck and 1 foot further aft transom, but clipped at the deep V for that foot. Putting the props that way much further aft into less disturbed water. (41 was a marketing thing)

`Construction speed limit`!!!!

You`ve just gone over it sunshine.In reality that boat was designed to take 1200hp petrols,which rated at about 75kts (110 psi on bottom),but as any designer will tell you,it`s a grey art,so safety factors can be a bit woolly.
e.g. is 40kts in a force 8,worse than 75kts in a force 2?

As regards a 41 was a marketing thing,someone`s been pulling your whatsit.

In 1977 the Altalia boats were designed as 38ft (stem to transom at centreline on deck),with 6 inches of aft topside styling,so they were referred to as 39ft.When CUV cloned them,they called them 38ft.In 1986 these boats were extended to 41ft (stem to transom at centreline on deck,as per the drawings).Apparently, as Della Valle was sticking 1400hp in his 38FT CUV,it was becoming a bit hairy,so a longer boat was ordered,presumably because wifey was concerned for his safety (the reason he packed it in for a while)

Sorry Justin if we get carried away on that Topic on the RI thread for one more time...

I meant to say that the CUV called Thuraya which Eric and I measured in Rome in detail was not 41ft on the deck but 39! At best slightly above but less than 40ft only?!

We had conversation to Del la Valle and he admitted to have run a 41 and three 38 and said to have done 99mph as top speed.

Our 38 is exactly as you describe it, but it was having shorter drives on the old Mercury ones so that we feel the 'longer' so further aft props on the #SSM6 would probably help stabilize and improve speed.
We even had to spread them slightly for the needed space between the bigger new Hering props.

But last years top results on same GPS units were 78kn so today we have some little advantage.
I am again not interested in speed records, well knowing that the CUV is to outdated for that. But when you play that toy (u might call it :honed to the max) you always try to improve things.
In my case it is having enough power to fight the rough seas and having little more speed to not stay that much behind Deans Fountain.
In the 2009 South Coast Marathon this was very disappointing (the same prop as in the CTC then delivered only 73knots by unknown reason, no it wasn't the tidal difference)

If there is further knowledge of yours to get Cinzano improved, I am always happy to learn.

Otherwise I am a too 'anxious' a throttle man to overdo things, if I get the feeling its not behaving well I won't squeeze it.
At the same time it is difficult to notice the moment when a bit of liveness is good, or already too much. Thats why we didn't trim aggressively in Ireland. No need to show up more, the results were satisfactory enough.

We race this Historic boat in the class B with all new craft in line, so if it wants to be serious we hope the rest has at least to obey the weight rules, otherwise we have to play 'Buzzi' and be in Historic class which is nonsense against brave people like Mr. Napier and 747...

thanks FF for your input and yes I was a bit 'offensive'
Brgds Markus

Markus Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrib View Post
“What did the Irish Do?”

Well far from being complacent we organised and delivered on a successful event which was run under ISA and UIM International Marathon Rules.

6 Boats competed in the first ever Around Ireland Offshore Powerboat Race 2010. It is flippant to call it a Rally and then compliment Marcus on how Marathon Racing is nothing without him.

I am sure all the crews who took part in the race would love to hear their efforts being downgraded to a “rally”. Beware the Eric Smillie……….!

I know that all the Teams went to considerable expense to support their entry and prepare their boats for this Race. Yes, it may have been just six boats, and our hopes and expectations were of course much higher. That said, we all felt that The Around Ireland Offshore Powerboat race 2010 should run, would be run professionally and to all International standards and that it would be a successful event.

Some facts: Over 200,000 people joined in the fun in Galway during their 2 week Powerboat Festival built around Powerboats. Over 5,000 people turned out in Killybegs for the Killybegs Extreme festival and over 5,000 people turned out in Fenit for their Sea Breeze Festival. This is true community spirit on a wholesale scale. So what if there was only 6 boats, so what if you want to call it a Rally, In Ireland we celebrated Marathon Offshore Racing and we also celebrated Ireland. Get over it.

All the Crews worked together, played together, and helped out when support was needed. Team Cinzano like all the Teams put their money where there mouth is and worked tirelessly for over 2 months prior to the race to rebuild the boat and get to Ireland to compete. I shudder to think of the expense. For all the Teams who worked endlessly to get here and to compete, and dare I say it for all the teams who compete generally in marathon Racing it is very easy indeed for you to sit on your arse and call it a Rally.

Marathon Racing is far from broken. It is just getting going and what it needs is more spirit, enthusiasm and get up and go. Sitting at the PC perpetually moaning about the wrongs in the world will solve nothing.

It is obvious that the financial strains of Marathon Racing in the current economic climate have limited a lot of people’s capability to race as much as they would like to.

Yes, the Marathon Rules could do with some changes to suit the modern fleet.

Why not admit it and then look to find ways to over come all the issues. Marathon Race like RB11 or RB12 have the potential to be self financing but this requires commitment from the fleet. A build it and they will come mentality clearly does not work. It is very difficult to sell an event when you cannot determine what you are selling. In conclusion, to organise a successful event requires 2 sides, the organisers and a fleet of committed boats who will take part. Entry fees of £5-10k are simply unrealistic longer term and instead funding should be found from the communities the fleet will visit. Then you will see some changes.

Finally, I know that Cowes, RB11 and RB12 will all work endlessly to get over the line and hold a great and historic event. Why do we not all help with these events? Why are the organisers left constantly worrying about the event and enough entries when much more could be done by the community to support these few who put their reputations on the line. Give them support and join in. Or shut up.

Originally when Ireland started the idea of a race we had over 47 registered entries and we ended with 6. There was lots of chat on these forums about “would we, wouldn’t we”, blah, blah, blah. The same is happening with other races. Ireland never set out to catch anyone, we set out to deliver a good race and we did. As for the idea of being complacent, well we may have made msitakes, we are forgiven I hope, but The Around Ireland started with just 6 boats. How many did Cowes have 50 years ago. Everything has a beginning, hopefully Marathon racing will not have an end.

We will do it again in 2014, and we will work hard with our local communities such as Galway, Killybegs, Bangor, Waterford and Fenit, all of whom welcomed us with open arms and threw the biggest marine based parties you have ever seen.

If that is not enough advance notice then you’re out of luck.

Oh, and Ireland will bring a few boats and crews to Cowes. Come and meet us.

Justin Mc Inerney
The Irish Offshore Powerboat Racing Club.
Thank you for your reply may i respond

1: The web site appeared to be misleading with the entries
2: Look forward to meeting Eric
3: Who is regularly racing in marathon at the moment
4: Sorry but never saw a spectator watching the racing on the photos
5: Who was Marcus racing with and not sure what i have to get over
6: Agreed i did sit on my arse and call it a rally
7: Not moaning but if you want my entry fee then it would be nice to know what i'm entering. ( entry fee is only part of the costs involved )
Lets face it RB8 started at £5 per hp and then doubled well after many had bought boats. ( once biten twice shy as they say )
8: I hope your right about marathon racing not broke
9: Not bothered about rules
10: 47 possible entries and 6 entries. Why why don't you ask the 47 for there true comments.

I'm not great at getting my point across on forums as you can probably tell but surely you would be interested in some feed back.
The bottom line was the lack on information coming out and unless RB11 and 12 pull there finger out i can see those events heading the same way. Lets hope i'm wrong

and i'm still sitting on my arse.

By the way i congratulate you and your team for what you set out to achieve and as you say you all had fun
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #244

Interests: Boats, skiing pets
Cruising area: wherever there is work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
Thank you for your reply may i respond

1: The web site appeared to be misleading with the entries
2: Look forward to meeting Eric
3: Who is regularly racing in marathon at the moment
4: Sorry but never saw a spectator watching the racing on the photos
5: Who was Marcus racing with and not sure what i have to get over
6: Agreed i did sit on my arse and call it a rally
7: Not moaning but if you want my entry fee then it would be nice to know what i'm entering. ( entry fee is only part of the costs involved )
Lets face it RB8 started at £5 per hp and then doubled well after many had bought boats. ( once biten twice shy as they say )
8: I hope your right about marathon racing not broke
9: Not bothered about rules
10: 47 possible entries and 6 entries. Why why don't you ask the 47 for there true comments.

I'm not great at getting my point across on forums as you can probably tell but surely you would be interested in some feed back.
The bottom line was the lack on information coming out and unless RB11 and 12 pull there finger out i can see those events heading the same way. Lets hope i'm wrong

and i'm still sitting on my arse.

By the way i congratulate you and your team for what you set out to achieve and as you say you all had fun
Sorry but i still say you should "Get over it"!!!!!!!

Claire
Mrs Smillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #245

Interests: Boats, Diving, Business
Boat name: Seawolf, Wolf
Boat make: 10m Humber Offshore & 8.5m Humber Offshore
Engines: Suzuki DF300's
Cruising area: Ireland & UK

What the Irish Did

Barry,
seems we are all singing from the same sheet but perhaps getting this across on a forum is not necessarily the best idea.

I agree with most of your comments and yes feed back is always very welcome. It does seem that the fear of commitment regarding fees/costs is something all of the fleet feel concerned about but surely this can be easily overcome.

RB08 may have changed the costs but they were open about it and all agreed to it to get the race run. In fairness, it was a great event and at least it was run.

I agree we could have been more creative in our communications and this is something we shall address for the 2014 race. Can we have your entry for that?

Finally, like it or not RB11 & 12 will have similar issues I am sure and will address these in due course.

One question: How could the organisers of an event provide comfort to all potential entries who are afraid to part with their hard earned money in advance. I wonder how it would be possible to set up a system where money/confirmed entries can be held and protected in the unikely event the race did not run?

As I said earlier an opportunity is being missed when the fleet and organisers are not committing to each other. If say 50 boats committed to run in an event then the organisers have a very big event to sell to each of the visiting stopovers and possible access to local tourism funds from those locations.

Now I'm off to figure out how to get to Cowes and to work on the 2014 race.

Justin.
macrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #246
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
Even the so called powers that be and JF hasn't made a constructive comment about the race
My silence, and Swipes absence from RI was nothing to do with Financial commitment, or lack there of.
It was all about this 'new' organisers keenness to organise a 'Marathon' race, and jump on, or maybe even influence, the widening/opening of the rules I and many others had worked so hard (and long) to put in place, specifically the inclusion of multihulls (and with less than no thought as to how it should be implemented). This was I believe purely in the name of trying to increase entry numbers with no regard whatsoeverfor how it might effect the long term stability of the series. For me, it set in place a bad taste that will not go away, and a free entry still wouldn't have attracted me.
I don't think I'm alone with those feelings, and this, together with a dreadful lack of communication is I believe the main reason why 47 became 6.

Multihulls may have eventually been removed from the invite, but it was too late and for the wrong reasons.

It sounds like those who took part had a blast and I'm pleased for them.

JF

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #247

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrib View Post
One question: How could the organisers of an event provide comfort to all potential entries who are afraid to part with their hard earned money in advance. I wonder how it would be possible to set up a system where money/confirmed entries can be held and protected in the unikely event the race did not run?

As I said earlier an opportunity is being missed when the fleet and organisers are not committing to each other. If say 50 boats committed to run in an event then the organisers have a very big event to sell to each of the visiting stopovers and possible access to local tourism funds from those locations.
Justin.
I am afraid Justin that you forgot my suggestion re the guarantee that we (RB08) instigated and you should have for the graduated return of funds should the event not go on.

This calmed everyone down and they then entered in numbers with the knowledge that if the event didn't happen they would still get a graduated percentage of their money back over a four month period running up to the race.

I know RB11 fully intend to put the same scheme into effect in the same way but to date RB12 haven't which is interesting!

Let's face it, you would be a bit of a mug to pay large amounts of money to an organiser with no guarantee of getting any refunds should the event not happen.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #248

Interests: Boats, Diving, Business
Boat name: Seawolf, Wolf
Boat make: 10m Humber Offshore & 8.5m Humber Offshore
Engines: Suzuki DF300's
Cruising area: Ireland & UK

Funding and Confidence

Mike,
not sureyour graduated return of fees was ever explained and certainly not sure that this would be a solution that would work in the future.

I am sure we could have been better on the organising front. It is a poor study if you cannot learn something from your mistakes. I know there are plans being drawn up for the Around Ireland in 2014. It was suggested that we run it again in 2011 but we are more comfortable with a 4 year cycle.

On the "new organisers keeness to jump on" comment, well fair enough, but if your complaining to me about communication perhaps you should have communicated that the Marathon rules you worked so hard and long on were a closed shop and not an International set of rules now endorsed by the UIM.
I had no idea Marathon racing was exclusive to a few and the UK.

Of course we did everything in our power to increase numbers, seems logical really to trry to run as successful a race as we could. Having the ability at a national level to include other boats such as multihulls was built into the rules at UIM level, and was something we indeed considered. Sense prevailed in regard to safety measures and so only mono hulls raced.

I doubt the Around Ireland race did anything to damage the long term viability of Marathon racing. It was well run on a safety and operational level and we had no issues at all. And yes we had a blast and we hppe all the visitors and crew did also.

Justin.
macrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #249

Interests: Thundercat Racing

I have to say I’m so pleased everyone who went had a good time, sounded like as always the Irish put on some excellent parties! lol I had a few late night texts from some of them... very amusing. Anyway I just wanted to add that it is hard enough for experienced Clubs who have organised powerboating events for years; for Justin and his team that we basically havent heard of to put an International event on I think it sounded ok there is no booklet telling organisers the rights wrongs and the to be done's. Lessons are learnt and getting info out and paperwork done early is essential, it’s like nurturing kids to make sure all the boats come out, I know I do it 24/7 - clear communication weekly is essential. So well done guys.
Fiona P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #250

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Rti

Good to see Markus / Martin / Louis et al came 2nd in class in the J.P. Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race 2010.

I heard Laura making the team breakfast at 03.50 and then rolled over back to sleep, Harry shook me, and said "You can't miss this Dad".

The Solent - Early Morning filled with racing yachts!

That is one serious event.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Good to see Markus / Martin / Louis et al came 2nd in class in the J.P. Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race 2010.

I heard Laura making the team breakfast at 03.50 and then rolled over back to sleep, Harry shook me, and said "You can't miss this Dad".

The Solent - Early Morning filled with racing yachts!

That is one serious event.
How did Mark and Nik do?
Old 21-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Smillie View Post
How did Mark and Nik do?
Did well also - finished in the early 500's
Old 21-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #253

Quote:
Did well also - finished in the early 500's
How did Markus and co do overall?
Old 21-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Smillie View Post
How did Markus and co do overall?
280 something
Old 22-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #255
CINZANO 558

Interests: occasionaly work, if not out for boating
Boat name: CINZANO, Capriccio I+II and Propina
Boat make: CUV 38race, Sunseeker50 Cruiser, Sailingketch 55
Engines: race: ILmor, Cruise: Volvo D12, sail: Volvo D5
Cruising area: race:England, holiday: Mallorca, sailing: Netherlands

IOW sail results

Quote:
280 something
2nd in class over the line (7:21x hrs Gunshot at crossing ),
under first 100 over the line,
but the boat was highly handicapped due to its sheer size and Carbon rig,
the dishwasher didn't help either...
Next time less Gin and Pimmms and we might win our class???
Markus Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #256

Question Hubby's Leg

I cannot believe that after two months Eric's leg is still really swollen (not that everyone cares or even ask's!!) just hope it holds out for Cowes
Old 09-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #257
Trade Member

Interests: Mountian Biking
Boat name: Clam Chowder
Boat make: Humber RIB
Engines: 85 Yam 2 stroke
Cruising area: Humber

How is Eric's leg?
Hope to see him at Cowes!
Nathan
Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
How is Eric's leg?
Hope to see him at Cowes!
Nathan
Not good i am afraid it has been 2 months now and not alot better has had another swab taken today but still very swollen and stinging alot just hope it gets better for Cowes and thanks for asking not like some i could mention!! Claire the wife
Old 10-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #259
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Get well really fast Eric!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote