Boatmad.com

Old 05-02-2008, 11:35 PM   #1

Boat name: The Rock - 66
Boat make: Doug Wright 32
Engines: Merc EFI 280s
Cruising area: Middle East

RYA Racing licences

Since joining last year I have felt passionate about my new found sport.

However, to find if I had joined this year it would have cost me over £800 LESS (for 10 races) has left a sour taste. Am I wrong to criticise the RYA's idea about promoting new entrants to this sport?

Great idea but totally inconsiderate to those that have made very recent investments in this sport.

Thank you to whoever decided that policy, I just hope in my next or parallel life I join the sport at the right time.

A discount? - Yes!

FOC in 2008? Thanks a bunch!!!

Anyone of the new entrants want to buy a Honda 225 Race boat? - it's a whole lot cheaper for you to join the party this year!!!!

Scream-it.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:12 AM   #2

Seems to me they were damned if they do, and damned if they don't.
They get grief every year about the cost of getting into the sport, have done something about, and are now getting grief for it!

(Dunno about you, but that's a fairly typical day in the office for me.)

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Seems to me they were damned if they do, and damned if they don't.
They get grief every year about the cost of getting into the sport, have done something about, and are now getting grief for it!

(Dunno about you, but that's a fairly typical day in the office for me.)
I get grief when I make 'on the hoof' decisions that negatively impact on people. That's usually bad ones on my part. I don't get grief when I consider the impact on people and consult and involve them beforehand.

That's modern management.

The sensible thing here would have been to relax on the event licences and offer FOC licences to people that have only held event and give away event licences for those who wish to try the sport?

I'm sorry but it is common sense that people like me who pay quite a lot to race are going to be dismayed at this sort of decision.

When an organisation is extracting large amounts of money from a team, the team expects to see some value for it. By the following year giving them away simply debases the value of the offering.

Basic sales - Consider this when you next go to your office and get grief.

" I go down to Comet and buy an LCD TV at £800"

Next time I go to Comet I see the TV there for a special offer of "was 700 + a DVD recorder was 160 BUT, to you mr new customer, it's all free!"

Just like the famous banking advert on the TV. The one with the guy saying "new customers only"

Boy! That would have a real negative impact on Comet's brand loyalty. People can just about stomach sales just after Xmas but that's usually because the ones that bought at full price have no money left to see the same thing available at 40% off a few days after!

Yep your right grief! and why?

because the decision didn't consider new entrants like me

And right now, like the advert, I feel strongly about moving banks and that will be another 790 + probably a few event licences lost in revenue.

And like customers, that will be my decision!

Sorry but it is a point of principle.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #4

Yes well, that is an unfortunate trait of some modern management types. By trying to please a certain group of people in the short term, if only to stop them shouting at him, they manage to piss off even more people.
Not really damned if you do/ damned if you don't. More a case of corporate derr-brain.
Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

I'm struggling here. How did it cost you £800 to licence for ten races?

Did you do the whole lot on event licences which are meant to be restricted to 2 per year?

Surely a class licence has never cost this much.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

'HE' mentioned the possibility of playing with the licence fee structure, and he was advised to bring in low cost licences for newbies. There were various other iterations.. Other advice was to bring in reduced cost licences for everyone for the 3c worlds. We went away, and 'HE' made the decision....

I personally think it was the wrong one for the reasons given previously, ie screwing those who previously had interest inthe sport, and were just starting out. Someone who bought an event licence for the end of season basic that did not get past muster now has to pay full whack for 2008. Not a warm fuzzy feeling there. But in 'theory' there was consultation with the clubs, but IMO that was actually ignored.

IMO National licences should have stayed as they were for everyone, and BASIC and EVENT licences should have been reduced to £20 for an event licence or £80 for the year basic licence. You expect to pay for a licence, and a very reduced cost would have been so much better than the blanket freebie for all brand new customers only.
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #7

Boat name: V13
Boat make: V24 batboat
Engines: 5.7 320hp
Cruising area: SOUTHCOAST

licences

i dont remember there ever being cheaper licences for class 3 at the worlds being mentioned.All competitors would already have a licence from their national authority so i think someone has their wires crossed.
RHINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
CB1

A 3c international licence is £415.00, per person, £830.00 per boat, before you even get on the water. The intereseting thing this year with the worlds in guernsey is, will all national racers who intend entering the worlds have to cough up the extra £57.00 each to enter an international event?

The other thing regarding the foc newbie licence is when Mr P stood up at the morning briefing at the national finals and announced this, he was asked, by me, was he going to do anything for the crews that had supported the sport? I asked him that as a gesture of goodwill from the RYA would he issue
this years renewed measurement certificates FREE OF CHARGE? At this time he agreed. Guess what? The office are still charging £70.00 for them!!! Can feel a phone call coming on!!!
CB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #9
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Ok daft question of the night.
I dont Qualify for the New FOC basic & quite rightly so
can somebody work out from the RYA link here

http://www.rya.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/8...MBINED9703.doc

how much a basic is for 2008

OOOPS !!! they never thought of that

Also the 2 event rule. if Say one did the monkey & the cancer race. could they take part in records week. So would that mean 1 Race event say Monkey or Cancer & record week ? Not all three or all three?
Poorly worded but you know what I mean

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ciao!
I think I have found a loophole for a cheap card.

I have checked it out it is international.

http://www.mpa.com.mt/news.htm
ciao! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:53 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to ciao!
My dearest chums and I will be using this licence to do RB, Malta etc. It's legal!
ciao! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:33 PM   #12
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Only till they close the loophole.

As Lifelong President and Licence Issuing officer of BORA
(Burkina Offshore Racing Assoc) i gotta come up with something
if not I think Tricky can do a CSRC Licence
(Caprivi Strip Racing Club)

Right where did I put my "John Bull" printing set.

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:07 AM   #13

I think your point is fair, but can't comment on whether the impact was considered and people were involved beforehand. There's a a lot of committees that legislate our sport - one assumes (hopes) they sanctioned the decision. I can definately say that almost every meeting I've ever been to has been focused on 2 items a) Attracting sponsors. b) Attracting new joiners by reducing the cost of getting started.
I think a is a hiding to nowhere and the entire short course near to the shore (to attract sponsors) is not what offshore is about. And I think b is not about the license cost at all, but about good, challenging (and fair) racing. Just mvho of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream-it.com View Post
I get grief when I make 'on the hoof' decisions that negatively impact on people. That's usually bad ones on my part. I don't get grief when I consider the impact on people and consult and involve them beforehand.

That's modern management.

The sensible thing here would have been to relax on the event licences and offer FOC licences to people that have only held event and give away event licences for those who wish to try the sport?

I'm sorry but it is common sense that people like me who pay quite a lot to race are going to be dismayed at this sort of decision.

When an organisation is extracting large amounts of money from a team, the team expects to see some value for it. By the following year giving them away simply debases the value of the offering.

Basic sales - Consider this when you next go to your office and get grief.

" I go down to Comet and buy an LCD TV at £800"

Next time I go to Comet I see the TV there for a special offer of "was 700 + a DVD recorder was 160 BUT, to you mr new customer, it's all free!"

Just like the famous banking advert on the TV. The one with the guy saying "new customers only"

Boy! That would have a real negative impact on Comet's brand loyalty. People can just about stomach sales just after Xmas but that's usually because the ones that bought at full price have no money left to see the same thing available at 40% off a few days after!

Yep your right grief! and why?

because the decision didn't consider new entrants like me

And right now, like the advert, I feel strongly about moving banks and that will be another 790 + probably a few event licences lost in revenue.

And like customers, that will be my decision!

Sorry but it is a point of principle.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorvator View Post
I'm struggling here. How did it cost you £800 to licence for ten races?

Did you do the whole lot on event licences which are meant to be restricted to 2 per year?

Surely a class licence has never cost this much.
To be fair it goes like this:

Over 300 (from memory) for Danny + 300 for me +
Danny backs out of Lowestoft so 60 for Nikki Sanders
Danny backs out of Liverpool so 60 for Nikki again
OK! My fault for the last 60 as I put up the nav seat for auction at the Frank Warren DebRA fight night at the Grosvenor House - where a kind man called Chris Howes bid £4250 for his seat in Liverpool race 1

So, I make that 780+

Hence the point. We do a lot to promote the sport. For example I wrote a novices case study which got published on Honda Racing's site covering the whole season and from that I know of 3 enquiries about joining Honda and one has ordered a boat after calling me to discuss and yet another bought an existing boat after Nikki spent time promoting the concept. I think that person may have just won the Brass Monkey?? -Bloody well done too to that man!

So the reason I feel a bit agrieved is that we have put our heart and sole into promoting the team, powerboat racing and the charity DebRA, we generated a lot of press around the UK and some regional TV last year, have influenced people to join up to this glorious world of powerboat racing and what do we get for it... "you could have saved 800 by joining this year"

So I am a minority of "not best pleased" but simply ask that such decisions are given due consideration as the feeling I get is it was an impulsive one!

I think I have said enough now and will go away and concentrate on preparing for Torquay!!

After all racing is what 't all about eh guys and gals??
Old 07-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #15
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Quote:
To be fair it goes like this:

Over 300 (from memory) for Danny + 300 for me +
Danny backs out of Lowestoft so 60 for Nikki Sanders
Danny backs out of Liverpool so 60 for Nikki again
OK! My fault for the last 60 as I put up the nav seat for auction at the Frank Warren DebRA fight night at the Grosvenor House - where a kind man called Chris Howes bid £4250 for his seat in Liverpool race 1

So, I make that 780+

Hence the point. We do a lot to promote the sport. For example I wrote a novices case study which got published on Honda Racing's site covering the whole season and from that I know of 3 enquiries about joining Honda and one has ordered a boat after calling me to discuss and yet another bought an existing boat after Nikki spent time promoting the concept. I think that person may have just won the Brass Monkey?? -Bloody well done too to that man!

So the reason I feel a bit agrieved is that we have put our heart and sole into promoting the team, powerboat racing and the charity DebRA, we generated a lot of press around the UK and some regional TV last year, have influenced people to join up to this glorious world of powerboat racing and what do we get for it... "you could have saved 800 by joining this year"

So I am a minority of "not best pleased" but simply ask that such decisions are given due consideration as the feeling I get is it was an impulsive one!

I think I have said enough now and will go away and concentrate on preparing for Torquay!!

After all racing is what 't all about eh guys and gals??
I'm not sure you're interpreting it right then (although it could be me ).

As I see it if you want to campaign the season you will still be paying a similar amount for your race licences. But if you are new to the sport you will get the first two event licences for free before being required to take out a full licence if you wish to continue racing. So maybe Nicky and certainly your auction winer wouldn't have been charged for the casual licence.

What they seem to have missed on their website is whether they will allow the provisonal licence to be extended past two entries to campaign in further basic races.

Having said all that I could be getting totally the wrong end of the stick as the last time I used PB1 in anger or renewed my licence the documents were handwritten on parchment with funny lingo
Old 07-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #16

So what would happen if they didn't attract any new entries, but had given all existing licence holders a discount. It isn't getting any cheaper to stage events or administer the sport who would cover the shortfall. If they attract a new competitor he should eventually bring in some much needed extra revenue. Any decision was going to be unpopular. This sport is expensive always has been and always will be the only way to make it cheaper is more competitors, instead of moaning come up with a system of making it cheaper while protecting the funds needed to administer the sport and put on the events.
Techteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #17

instead of moaning come up with a system of making it cheaper while protecting the funds needed to administer the sport and put on the events.[/QUOTE]

I did. Or so I thought.
Em Perhaps offer FOC event licence to try it out. Perhaps I have mis-interpreted the offer and will happily stand corrected.

But em...an event licence is....60 in Honda?

A racing licence is 345?

Who is is giving away funds here. But as I said I will apologise if I understood it to be giving away the 345 bit and not the 60 bit. Great for the coffers that if it is indeed the former!!

Now I don't think it will take a rocket scientist to work out that multiples of 345 are lots more than 60s... and according to the laws of physics and psychology there are probably not that many people who wish to turn themselves into and I quote (the words of the great Rory Power)...a crash test dummy! Oh ho! don't mention crash and 225s and oh no! Not that thread again

If I am wrong then happy to be beaten with a strong stick and beg for mercy. Moaning....? well we all have a bad day and grief at the office don't we? Especially when my mate sat next to me reckons on saving 345 squids when I can't or, er didn't.

Still! Gonna be out testing in Plymouth Sound next week and will try to forget about it..... ah! Torquay is approaching!! Yippeeeeeeeeee!!!

Time to get off my bottom, typing into forums and get some of that excess off the old tum...Now I know this is a conspiracy. Wind him up on the forum, he'll sit there all day putting weight on and the boat'll be slower!!

I've sussed you out you naughty forum..."we can't have these Honda boys being too quick now can we?"A cunning plan Baldrick!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #18
CB1

Quote:
Since joining last year I have felt passionate about my new found sport.

However, to find if I had joined this year it would have cost me over £800 LESS (for 10 races) has left a sour taste. Am I wrong to criticise the RYA's idea about promoting new entrants to this sport?

Great idea but totally inconsiderate to those that have made very recent investments in this sport.

Thank you to whoever decided that policy, I just hope in my next or parallel life I join the sport at the right time.

A discount? - Yes!

FOC in 2008? Thanks a bunch!!!

Anyone of the new entrants want to buy a Honda 225 Race boat? - it's a whole lot cheaper for you to join the party this year!!!!

You are moaning about one season!!! How about helping those out there who have poured £1000's into the coffers over the last 15 odd years? No discount for us either. Powerboating is like gambling..... if you cant afford to lose dont play the game. At least your engines have a warranty!!!
CB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1 View Post
You are moaning about one season!!! How about helping those out there who have poured £1000's into the coffers over the last 15 odd years? No discount for us either. Powerboating is like gambling..... if you cant afford to lose dont play the game. At least your engines have a warranty!!!
NO!
I wasn't moaning about 1 season. I was merely questioning the thought process behind the decision. Let's just say it wouldn't happen again in my outfits!

I am still waiting for somebody to put up a decent counter argument against my Comet point above.

Not seen anything yet that
a) Makes any commercial sense
or b) makes me feel wrong!

Quite right not just new people, but anyone is affected. Remember the point about debasing the value.

Let us in all of our businesses try this:

Well! Says the sales Director, we need sales and new customers
So let's say anyone new (cos we need them) can have the service for a whole year for free. Bring them in, cuddle them and they'll stick with us and spend more money.

Marketing Director says...hey! but shouldn't we consider our existing customers?

But we have targets to meet.

MD says OK we'll do it!

I would challenge anybody who runs a business that has customers, on this forum, to openly give something away in such a way and test it in their market places.

Sorry but you would be a braver man than I!!

Sorry! New customers only! let's try embedding the ad shall we?

http://www.visit4info.com//advert/Na...tionwide/47895
Old 08-02-2008, 08:43 AM   #20

There are literally thousands of examples out there, credit card balance transfers 0% on transfers and 0% on purchases for 6 months NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY. Broadband 6.99 for the first three months then 14.99 every month after NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY. The only difference is you cannot get your head round the word free. To get people hooked on a great sport which they should KNOW will cost them THOUSANDS isn't easy, look at what you pay to compete in probably one of the best supported series in the UK. If you feel upset now just imagine how much it would cost you if Honda suddenly said right we've created a new class and supported it now for several years so your on your own now= no Honda 4 stroke in about three seasons.

Techteam is offline   Reply With Quote