Boatmad.com

Old 22-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #21
Aged Member

Boat name: Savannah
Boat make: Princess 415
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: SOLENT

I'm absolutely amazed nobody has thought of this before......

Old 22-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #22
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE View Post
I'm absolutely amazed nobody has thought of this before......

A clown short of a full circus are we Dave?

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #23
Aged Member

Boat name: Savannah
Boat make: Princess 415
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: SOLENT

Must be Cookee, racing this year.....10th year now.

Old 22-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #24

Interests: anything to do with water
Boat name: delmar
Engines: honda 150/225
Cruising area: exmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
I do.

And if V24 had the sugar daddy support Honda racing has, it would probbably all be different
I have sussed it all this shit flying around is down to jealousy what it boils down to is hondas success at offshore racing(sorry small circuit racing) they started it in 99 and its now 2007 and there still there bigger then ever.......well said andy20 why dont you lot get off your asses and do something about sponsorship but with people like triky in it i can see why you struggle
delboy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #25
The Doc

and if (when they started out) Honda had decided to run a V24 series (as apposed to any other that they seemed to pic at pot luck) do you think it'd have been a success?

Money talks, they've got loads of it.
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
and if (when they started out) Honda had decided to run a V24 series (as apposed to any other that they seemed to pic at pot luck) do you think it'd have been a success?

yeah maybe,im not sure what the v24 lot are like but the success of honda is largely down to the competitors,they're a good crowd who all get on with each other.
goose on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #27

Interests: RACING
Boat make: T850
Engines: YAMAHA 70
Cruising area: EXMOUTH

**********...and nearly died as I said to Tony outside of the Fountain pub, ‘if you think your boat is so f**king quick, then you drive it yourself. I’m looking forward to seeing you on the podium, knocking Negotiator into 2nd position because ours is so much quicker than theirs. I’ll be cheering you on all the way. Great stuff. You drive and show me, can’t wait to see you with the trophy!’ Jo was horrified, as we had already discussed that we were in an awkward position as even though we were in the boat and you guys had given us a great opportunity which I have always said. We never had any say in anything and weren’t in a position to kick arses into gear or to complain because you were paying the bills. Worst position in the world to be in. Our hands were tied.
Tony was gobsmacked. His heart sank . He so didn’t want to race the 225. You all virtually begged me to race, but I said with a smile that I was looking forward to seeing Delmar on the podium, after-all, it WAS quicker than Negotiator. When you realised I was being dead serious you then asked anyone you could find to race it instead of T, T remember had already admitted, ‘it scares me’ and ‘it makes me nervous’, hence the reason he didn’t want to race it himself. Me and Jo were the testers for the 2007 season ironing out any problems,

Sorry shara, but you go on about all this, and the delmar boat, as if it was new, and you were doing all the testing.
Its been a top running boat all its racing life, and yes like them all, from new could do with that little ltc, but it is a quick boat against the others.
And sorry, but maybe Tony should of asked me to race it, as its always been that little quicker than mine.
Its time to stop all the shit, face up to you could not do honda, leave honda to do what they do, and move on to your next task, and good luck with it.
I wish i was doing the Round Britain 2008 race.
daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #28

Interests: Makin my boat faster!
Boat name: S.B Racing
Boat make: Ocke mannerfelt canopied B23 / Zapcat
Engines: Merc 200XS Gen 2 / Tohatsu 50
Cruising area: littlehampton/Southampton

Quote:
Originally Posted by saretta View Post
Well unfortunately....you seem to be mistaken, but I think that's due to being a tad upset and embarrassed at my comment. It wasn't supposed to upset you..just answering Scottboys Q.
Thanks for the honest answer sarah and sorry if my original thread has caused you any upset it wasnt intended!
Old 22-01-2008, 09:48 PM   #29
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose on View Post
The success of honda is largely down to the competitors
Do you really, honestly think that's why it's lasted from '99 to date? I'm not dissing the competitors at all, but I think it's folly to think Hondas cash isn't the main, or sole reason for it's longevity.

As I see it, the only normal (non C1) classes that are staying alive, or growing, have sugar daddies. None seem to be able to self fund.

If that's the case, why don't all the Honda folk set up their own class, not dependant on Hondas money and choose their own boats & motors? Surely that would be more rewarding.

Oh, and pick the phone up and organise a huge class sponsor, shouldn't take more than a few mins.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #30

Interests: anything to do with water
Boat name: delmar
Engines: honda 150/225
Cruising area: exmouth

i think the competitors do have alot to do with the series success we know we are supported by honda and we in return support them......why would it make it more rewarding to have different motors etc we all run the same engine and prop to beat the man next to you is more rewarding then just being able to aford a more expensive prop etc: im starting to realise what ever is said you will always be against honda.....the promo video, what is the use of advertising boats going round with no action, yes there are clips taken of people a)coming out of boats and b)out of there seats these donot happen all in one race these captions are over several years, there are close battles between boats with no contact at all i know i have been in many...its not reckless and (go-kart) style driving these are isolated instances in the four years of racing we have been hit by another boat once and this was by a seasoned racer whos boat had caught a rouge wave and pushed him onto us tell me does this noy happen in any other series
delboy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #31

Interests: Enduro, Rugby and of course Powerboats
Boat name: Dreamcatcher
Boat make: Extreme/Ring 21
Engines: Honda 150
Cruising area: Salcombe south devon

Well the great thing with the Honda series is that everyone is in the same boat and every driver has 2 arms and legs! Sure there is "set up" which I will be the first to admit does more than help. But surly someone with all those years experience would have learnt how to set a boat up, I know the 225 is different to most hulls but im sure Newton’s laws will still apply. So when a driver looks up at the finish flag and sees boats have crossed a line before them, there is no one else to blame but yourself (by yourself I of course mean navigator !)
jonny12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post

NOT WITH VERY CLITTY IN IT
skull666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 12:53 AM   #33

Looks like the spliffs are alight again

Temporarily Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #34
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy36 View Post
im starting to realise what ever is said you will always be against honda.....

I'm not sure where you see that Jon (or myself) and a number of others are "Against" Honda - and why you insist that Hondas money had nothing to do with making the series a success? If you reread the comments no-one said that the Honda racers are arseholes or that it's a bad idea to have closely matched racing. The only comments that have been made (apart from correcting factual errors) have been made about the stability of the 225's (it's been admitted that they are a "challenge" to drive!) and the safety factor - or am I mistaken?

Old 23-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #35

Boat name: The Rock - 66
Boat make: Doug Wright 32
Engines: Merc EFI 280s
Cruising area: Middle East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I'm not sure where you see that Jon (or myself) and a number of others are "Against" Honda - and why you insist that Hondas money had nothing to do with making the series a success? If you reread the comments no-one said that the Honda racers are arseholes or that it's a bad idea to have closely matched racing. The only comments that have been made (apart from correcting factual errors) have been made about the stability of the 225's (it's been admitted that they are a "challenge" to drive!) and the safety factor - or am I mistaken?
But Cookee, isn't any race boat a challenge to drive on that there moving road? The one thing for sure is you need time in it. Lots of it! It's one design but as all the Honda people know, each has a different setup and it takes a good deal of time and effort to test to get the best out of driver and boat. I think in truth and acting in a diplomatic fashion (I like Sarah and the Delmar guys as they were the first people to actually let me drive one!) the key is time and I don't think the team (and I say team) had enough time for whatever reason.

The boats possibly need more intensive testing than others possibly. Back to Formula 1...did you see Richard Hammond trying to start and run the old F1 car on Top Gear? Now I guess he's an extremely good driver?

There me lud, rests the case for the defence!
Scream-it.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #36
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream-it.com View Post
But Cookee, isn't any race boat a challenge to drive on that there moving road? The one thing for sure is you need time in it. Lots of it! It's one design but as all the Honda people know, each has a different setup and it takes a good deal of time and effort to test to get the best out of driver and boat. I think in truth and acting in a diplomatic fashion (I like Sarah and the Delmar guys as they were the first people to actually let me drive one!) the key is time and I don't think the team (and I say team) had enough time for whatever reason.

The boats possibly need more intensive testing than others possibly. Back to Formula 1...did you see Richard Hammond trying to start and run the old F1 car on Top Gear? Now I guess he's an extremely good driver?

There me lud, rests the case for the defence!

That's why they don't let just anyone drive one of those things in a race! And to my knowledge Richard has never been a proper race driver at all - I have more experience than him!

Old 23-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #37

Quote:
very clitty called us a load of wankers i agree
skull666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 12:13 PM   #38

Boat name: The Rock - 66
Boat make: Doug Wright 32
Engines: Merc EFI 280s
Cruising area: Middle East

Quote:
That's why they don't let just anyone drive one of those things in a race! And to my knowledge Richard has never been a proper race driver at all - I have more experience than him!
That wasn't my point. I don't believe many people can jump in these things and win right away, however much experince they have. Until they have spent good time in the boat. Allowing people like me in last year is another debate!

I would like to see some of the previous champions in all classes get in one now. It's was getting really tight in Liverpool. New boats like Vortigern getting 4th. The Germans getting faster by the race. Us improving dramatically, but then we were lapped three time nearly in Torquay, so only one way to go there!

It would be good to see someone with the reputation of Neil Holmes or even James step back in one now and race. Boy when you see the experience in 225 at the top of the table now I would challenge anyone to dive in between that lot!

I've been sat in with Gavin Parsonage and he does it all wrong according to the experts too remember!

If you push a F1 car too far it will not be stable, if you push a 225 too far it will not be stable. Hence the comparison.

Should that be allowed? It is a dangerous sport but like I said elsewhere you can get killed by a teapot during a knock down in a sailing boat whilst off watch and I bet somewhere the RYA have statistics to show that traveling at 6 knots is more dangerous than racing in the Honda series...

Remember 38,000 people die each year of smoking related diseases and I nearly copped it yesterday when a bloody roll of carpet fell out of a van on the A38 near Newton Abbot...He knew the rules but didn't tie it up properly and nearly killed me. Damn! Now I would have been really hacked off dying that way!

Oh that old one I here you think. But each are statutoraly regulated to minimise risk and I think the officials at Honda or rather F4SA do a better job by far than those regulators who surround us watching people dying every day. And those regulators are usually well paid!

You have to put things in proper real life context!
Scream-it.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #39

Well said.

Temporarily Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #40
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream-it.com View Post
That wasn't my point. I don't believe many people can jump in these things and win right away, however much experince they have. Until they have spent good time in the boat. Allowing people like me in last year is another debate!

I would like to see some of the previous champions in all classes get in one now. It's was getting really tight in Liverpool. New boats like Vortigern getting 4th. The Germans getting faster by the race. Us improving dramatically, but then we were lapped three time nearly in Torquay, so only one way to go there!

It would be good to see someone with the reputation of Neil Holmes or even James step back in one now and race. Boy when you see the experience in 225 at the top of the table now I would challenge anyone to dive in between that lot!

I've been sat in with Gavin Parsonage and he does it all wrong according to the experts too remember!

If you push a F1 car too far it will not be stable, if you push a 225 too far it will not be stable. Hence the comparison.

Should that be allowed? It is a dangerous sport but like I said elsewhere you can get killed by a teapot during a knock down in a sailing boat whilst off watch and I bet somewhere the RYA have statistics to show that traveling at 6 knots is more dangerous than racing in the Honda series...

Remember 38,000 people die each year of smoking related diseases and I nearly copped it yesterday when a bloody roll of carpet fell out of a van on the A38 near Newton Abbot...He knew the rules but didn't tie it up properly and nearly killed me. Damn! Now I would have been really hacked off dying that way!

Oh that old one I here you think. But each are statutoraly regulated to minimise risk and I think the officials at Honda or rather F4SA do a better job by far than those regulators who surround us watching people dying every day. And those regulators are usually well paid!

You have to put things in proper real life context!
I see you're in Plymouth - maybe we should have a beer and discuss it face to face sometime? You could always come out in my race boat and Temporarily Insanes Phantom 21 to compare stability!

ps When 225's started you had to do a season in 130's before they would let you in a 225 - even though it was ex OCR and Class III drivers asking!