http://www.britishpowerboatracingclu...resultsscm.xls
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #165
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Huge thanks to all at Drivers, Mike & his team. Good end to the season.

Bit flat for us, but otherwise perfect weather, great fun all the same.

Great run by Dean.

Lets hope next year brings as much good, safe racing.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #166

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

excellent day out for us,enjoyed the run down the solent at the start. any idea why the bounty hunter was slow,beautiful looking boat
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #167
numbskull

'Bounty Hunter' had a wire on one of the ignition systems fracture somewhere near Anvil on the way home. Took them quite a while to sort it so their average speed reflected that added time.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 18-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #168

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

cheers jon
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #169

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
The RSYC have told me we had over 200 people for the Friday night Welcome Reception.

Thanks to Chris Clayton for inviting ex CTC Winners et al
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #170

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Marathon 2009 Champions

t News for all Marathon racers. The RYA have agreed to award trophies to the 1st boat in all Marathon classes where the winning boat competed in all 3 races, for the sake of fairness and to help promote Marathon racing.

The results therefore are as follows.

Class B – Champion = Cinzano – 1200 points
Class C Stock – Champion = Relentless – 700 points
Class D – Champion = Hot Lemon – 1200 points
Class E – Champion = My Pleasure – 1100 points

The trophies will be presented at the RYA Awards Dinner.
:cheers
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #171
CINZANO 558

Interests: occasionaly work, if not out for boating
Boat name: CINZANO, Capriccio I+II and Propina
Boat make: CUV 38race, Sunseeker50 Cruiser, Sailingketch 55
Engines: race: ILmor, Cruise: Volvo D12, sail: Volvo D5
Cruising area: race:England, holiday: Mallorca, sailing: Netherlands

Marathon Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
t News for all Marathon racers. The RYA have agreed to award trophies to the 1st boat in all Marathon classes where the winning boat competed in all 3 races, for the sake of fairness and to help promote Marathon racing.

The results therefore are as follows.

Class B – Champion = Cinzano – 1200 points
Class C Stock – Champion = Relentless – 700 points
Class D – Champion = Hot Lemon – 1200 points
Class E – Champion = My Pleasure – 1100 points

The trophies will be presented at the RYA Awards Dinner.
:cheers

Hello!

Our Team together with the Deacons might have won most points and it might have been possible that after them and us winning always our class that there is no difference in the rules between our results.

Mike Deacon said to me at the last pricegiving at Drivers, that the only other relevant measurement would be total elapsed time and therefore we would be winner of the marathon class title. But then and now I tell everybody that this solution announced above is much wiser and fairer especially from my (Cinzano's Teams) point of view.

All above Teams have done their best and only their speed potential or boat size factors have limited them from being total winner of each race they attended.

As seen in the South Coast Marathon it happened to us as it happened to the Deacons in the CTC, if somebody can pull away in the end then there is nothing you can do to stop him (sending an U-Boot would, but that is out of fashion nowadays...).

In other words I do support this RYA decision for good!

Markus Hendricks Team Cinzano
Markus Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #172
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Hendricks View Post
(sending an U-Boot would, but that is out of fashion nowadays...).
What are you like Markus!

Old 01-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #173
CINZANO 558

Interests: occasionaly work, if not out for boating
Boat name: CINZANO, Capriccio I+II and Propina
Boat make: CUV 38race, Sunseeker50 Cruiser, Sailingketch 55
Engines: race: ILmor, Cruise: Volvo D12, sail: Volvo D5
Cruising area: race:England, holiday: Mallorca, sailing: Netherlands

South Coast Marathon Cinzano's cockpit view

Hello everybody,
this time my report comes late, but there is this other life with need for making money and only then to give it to Eric.
Eric takes it to the Voodooo man in Bermuda, has a few cocktails and all over a sudden the Illmores last to the finish...
This is in short why we had some success this year.
The boat ran always without a fault.

But...!

At the South Coast Marathon it was a bit different to the races before.
This time we were in the focus of everybody.

Here on Boatmad the start was an issue and when philosophers gave their expectations, it made our Team think of a different strategy.

In all other races I opted for somebody leading me towards whatever was to come. As in the CTC I followed Hannes at the start towards Bridge Buoy.

This time the plan was to get in front if possible.
Trimm was more aggressively set for the start and the start procedure was helping, being not to long and not of a slow run.
Sir Max's faster Startboat helped getting away from higher revs.

It did work. We were in lead at the end of the Solent.
But then we soon found out that we had a 'Roostertail-Shadow-Follower'.
Team 42 stayed behind, whatever we did.

Eric built 'Doglegs' in our course, just to see whether they would notice and pass, but it did not work or help.
The R-S-F kept following...
So we went on.
There were a few spots of boiling water and small crests or current, that caused funny waters, but none dangerous enough to slow anybody (the Roostertail-Shadow-Follower) down.

Once at the typical Photographers Position near to the rocks we dropped even so much speed that the R-S-F came alongside, only to stepp back when we picked up speed again.

Till the last Buoy at Hurst.

From here the sea state was mirrorshape flat and our R-S-F went past and off.

We knew obviously that other boats could be faster and the Fountain with its stepped hull, flat sections in the transom area and lower deadrise was definately developed for speeds exceeding 100mph.
The CUV instead even on Lamborghinis only touched this barrier.

But we were a bit dissapointed that at the CTC our finish line decals of the GPS gave about 78knots and at this time we had trouble to read 72knots, even on less fuel. So we had the feeling it might have been an open finish if we had the CTC Speed we were now accustumed to.

So our dissappiontment was why we lost speed again, after having had permanent refinements done over the season and gained more instead of less speed each race.

We think it was our propellers being only 550hp rated and probably have lost some bite and shape after all. Even if they were promising at the beginning we have to understand them to be simmilar to tyres in F1 Car racing.

Never mind, it was the first thrill of leading a race for most of the time that was the new experience and that was as demanding as it was thrilling.

It is true that we could have done merely every point of the race under toppspeed high up trimm, but you don't know before you reach the different coloured water with the small white crests, what they are really doing to you at more than 70knots.
So trimming in would be the wise decision, but what will the R-S-F do! There is the 'Red Mist' Mode pushing and the 'Brain' saying get home is rule no. 1.

So you see even this shorter and calmer race gave a lot of new things to learn and belive me doing the little trip in one and a quarter hour was very much fun!!!

Racing on a rough day is often called more thrilling, but if your boat speed allows you to exceed 80Mph you will feel that flat is not as flat anymore, so you are in fact as much Airborne in the odd occasional higher wave as on a rougher day at 60Mph.
The double touching, after these longer flights though gives something of 'lets do it again' and then you decide for the winter that a few new engines or other speed items will have to be under the Christmas Tree!

So lets go for the next season and beyond
Team Cinzano
Markus Hendricks
Markus Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #174

Goinglean Race Report,

Very exciting start, Cinzano on our port side about 20metres away & Drew in his Rib on the opposite side about 15 metres... Flag went green & we were off, as the miles went by & the speed increased the gaps got less & we all approached Hurst virtually touching each other at close to 85mph !!... Dave was steering our boat for the first time.... there was tension in his arms & eyes ... but he never backed off.

Slowly Cinzano & ourselves nudged ahead of Drew & shot past the Needles, Cinzano was running well & we sat next to them for most of the trip learning how to drive our boat !!

The one thing we learnt in RB08 is that Boat & Body protection in a marathon race it top priority so we took this oppurtunity to learn about the boat.. it's tab/drive settings... we tried every combo,,, we settled on a nice cruise speed of about 88mph & found a top speed of 93mph with 300rpm remaining before we hit our rev limiter (We had new higher pitch props fitted that arrived from Hering the day before). This is the fastest that Dave & I have ever been in a boat and we were amazed how soft the ride is in the Fountain compared to the XS, at the far end of the course it did get a bit bumpy but the fountain just ignore's the condition & begs for max throttle, Dave quickly got the knack of sliding it round the corners.... I'm sure once we have tested it some more & get 'our nerve' this boat will run flat out through most conditions, the std seat are suspension seats that worked great for Dave but my extra mass tested them beyond their limits & in rough conditions would NOT work.. new Ullmans planned.

As we approached North Head Buoy it was clear that Cinzano's nav was taking them real tight to the mark, & at one point we thought they were going to take it on the wrong side, we took a racing line & flattened the turn... this gave us the lead around the mark

Opened the Fountain up to Max a popped back down the Solent in the flat water looking for the ferry wash...

It's difficult to see out of the Fountains 'pillarbox' windows so it's always fun in traffic... crossed the line about one mile in front...... shot passed Cowes...then back to driver for hog roast.

Thought the race was a fantastic event, Cinzano will be hard to beat in class B. If the fleet expands next year we will struggle to compete in class A without a winter of improvement.

The boats up for sale at the mo but if it doesn't sell we will have to investigate how to get that last 300rpm !!... till next year
Goinglean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #175

Enjoying reading your driver's eye reports chaps! Keep 'em coming!

littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote