Boatmad.com

Old 03-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
If we know and Google the politics of the NMF -
Norwegian Motorsport Federation, is Mike Lloyd giving us another "good friend of mine" similar to Aidan Foley?

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #22

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

whats the issue with this?

Old 03-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #23

Ciao. In your cups again? So what is your beef this time? Is this a Snipe at AF or is it a snipe at the Norwegians? Either way it's not nice. I think it's time the moderator banned you - again. By the way. What was the parcel that arrived safely in Torquay in 2010!
Worsforwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worsforwear View Post
Ciao. In your cups again? So what is your beef this time? Is this a Snipe at AF or is it a snipe at the Norwegians? Either way it's not nice. I think it's time the moderator banned you - again. By the way. What was the parcel that arrived safely in Torquay in 2010!
"Either way it's not nice."

It isn't about being "nice".

It is making sure competitors don't spend huge sums of money on events or races that will never happen.

If you feel the moderator should ban me - Then give him a call.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #25

Have a drink on me Ciao. Too predictable.
Worsforwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worsforwear View Post
Have a drink on me Ciao. Too predictable.
Thanks, I'll take a Martini on the rocks whilst you make the call.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #27
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post
hiya simon,i know a lot of people on this site will not agree with me but here goes,i think the rya should enforce the power they have and disband all clubs and run the offshore racing themselves and let the key people in the sport organise the venues,minimise the classes and only approve a certain amount of venues ,so if you want to compete that is the venue to go to,because having different clubs with their own ajendas the sport is going nowhere.get the entrants to pay their entrys upfront and then you know who is seriious ,and make all classes join force ,if certain classes do not want to join then dont approve their races
The problem with that plan (which I agree with in principle) is that the RYA are both risk adverse and short on both manpower and funds which means it would never happen.

It seems that a single promoter would be a better way but because there isn't a commercial model (look at P1) that wouldn't work either, the only other possibility is for all of the clubs to work together or for one club to take over everything and that would mean people giving up territory - basically there isn't a way out!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
"Either way it's not nice."

It isn't about being "nice".

It is making sure competitors don't spend huge sums of money on events or races that will never happen.

If you feel the moderator should ban me - Then give him a call.

Instead they spend huge sums of money on one race !

Is it really that hard to get together and work with others rather than against them as seems the case from where im reading latley !
Yets hope that someone will see sense very soon.
Red-Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #29

Interests: Powerboats, Alpine Skiing
Boat name: Blastoff Challenger
Boat make: Fountain 38 poker run
Engines: 2 x Yanmar 440
Cruising area: Solent

Red Leader,

If you are referring to Cowes, at least this race happens every year without fail and NO ONE loses their money.

In fact when we have gone over budget, when an entry drops out, or if something unforseen happens, the Directors of the BPRC have personally underwritten the shortfall.

I would dearly love to race my boat in "other" marathon events, but the reality is we do not have the time or the money to do it, and it is very difficult to to get enough people together to do it.

We tried to get a three race series going, and we found it easier to herd cats, so we ditched the idea.

If you know of any billionaires, who want to become millionaires, send them my way!
Dozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #30

Ill see what I can do.
Red-Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Leader View Post
Instead they spend huge sums of money on one race !

Is it really that hard to get together and work with others rather than against them as seems the case from where im reading latley !
Yets hope that someone will see sense very soon.
There simply wasn't the competitor interest to do more races than Cowes - We tried.

When the BPRC organises its annual event, we have huge help from a variety of individuals that are associated with other clubs.

Barrie and Sheena Williams of SEPA look after the Torquay side of things and I could go on naming and praising the collective of people that help out to make the event a success.

So, I am not sure what you are "reading latley" (spelling) is the correct script.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #32

After RB8 a marathon series was tried and failed.
I agree with Dozzer it costs a lot of money to race a big offshore boat and apart from the few not many can afford to race there boats.

Personally I have never agreed with the idea that the racers love to go out to sea for a couple of hours never to be seen by anyone and then come back to the marina.
What is there for friends, family and fans to see.

One of the best races I did was the Lymington challenge a few years ago the organisers put a boat in the middle for every one to see the race boats. (the misses actually enjoyed the day) I think HS put paid to that a couple of years later. About 2 years ago I went down to spectate at hurst and saw dildlly squat.

Add to that anyone who might of entered a race would be a fool to pay money up front.
Also the bigger boats always have to pay a larger entry fees

CTC is very much supported by the enthuisastic racer.
Why is le mans so well supported and yet when they run those cars at other venues it's a different story.
Sport needs the racers, the glamour, PR, characters and something to see.
I remember when I was alot younger drinking in the beer tent at Cowes and spotting the race crews that doesn't happen any more. (there in the RYS)
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #33

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
The problem with that plan (which I agree with in principle) is that the RYA are both risk adverse and short on both manpower and funds which means it would never happen.

It seems that a single promoter would be a better way but because there isn't a commercial model (look at P1) that wouldn't work either, the only other possibility is for all of the clubs to work together or for one club to take over everything and that would mean people giving up territory - basically there isn't a way out!
I think there is a general feeling along these lines - but there is always a possible solution - but would take some strong leadership and preferably funds to kick start things too.

For far too long we have had too many classes, often duplicating each other all but in detail, too many clubs. Powerboating - and the through the RYA - tried to please everyone, allowing all sorts of concepts. Probably all in good faith - but the end result has been a fragmented scene with very few actually happy - and not one class worthy on a National Championships - apart from P1.

I think we need to get back to simple racing - hopefully with less rules, less red tape as well. Certainly less classes and clubs.

In effect I could see the sport split into two (in effect as it always was) -the 'big' boats as offshore and the 'small' boats as coastal.

Offshore being in effect Marathon - or class 1 /2 of the old days. No more than 3 classes. One club to oversee a championship.

Coastal - being a combination of class 3, OCR, basics, E1500 etc. Probably should be able to get that down to a total of 3 to 4 classes. Courses and races to be decided. One club to oversee one championship.

No doubt would upset many people - but that would be inevitable. Powerboating has to stop trying to please everyone and create a strong basis. Hopefully Offshore and coastal could combine at some events.

Other clubs could still exist as members clubs, regional clubs etc - but not running championships of their own.

All sounds simple and a bit like going back in time, but with a modern take on the chosen classes, rules, courses etc.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #34
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
would take some strong leadership and preferably funds to kick start things too.
That's your problem right there!

ps no offence intended to the new head of powerboat racing, in fact there is a window now to do some of Adams suggestions, at least those that don't cost lots of money!?

Old 05-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #35

Boat name: V13
Boat make: V24 batboat
Engines: 5.7 320hp
Cruising area: SOUTHCOAST

offshore

Quote:
I think there is a general feeling along these lines - but there is always a possible solution - but would take some strong leadership and preferably funds to kick start things too..
if the key people from the offshore clubs got together it could work and i am sure the we could come up with the funds needed,i for one would take a risk on making it work
RHINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:40 AM   #36

Boat make: Hydrostream V-king, 650SS OCR ,Ring 21, Ring 18, Phantom 18.
Engines: 300Hp Mercury 2.4, 130 Yamaha, Bridgeport EFI, XR6, Merc 200.
Cruising area: Malahide, Dublin

Quote:
Coastal - being a combination of class 3, OCR, basics, E1500 etc. Probably should be able to get that down to a total of 3 to 4 classes. Courses and races to be decided. One club to oversee one championship.
This is exactly what NRC is supposed to be, but it seems to be met with strong resistance.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hydrostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #37

Interests: Boats, skiing pets
Cruising area: wherever there is work!

Thumbs up

I would just like to say that since our daughter has taken up Thundercat racing this season we have had a great time you can actually see the races and everyone is so helpful and friendly i suggest you all come and watch a race and see the difference good organisation makes! Claire
Mrs Smillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #38

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrostream View Post
This is exactly what NRC is supposed to be, but it seems to be met with strong resistance.

I think NRC - right or wrong - comes across as OCR badged up as something else.

Just does not have strong enough identity. Seems to be trying to allow all classes - even two different classes starting with A prefix at times.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #39

Interests: skydiving powerboats
Engines: tower power lover
Cruising area: solent

!!!!

Following most of these posts,,im seeing most of the people that are posting here,all are nicely set up and ready to go,,ive committed my self for many years in some top sports, one of which i am in the top ten world position,, tho it changes every week, so thats neather here nor there, though what i do see here ,amidst all the bickering and banter, is a complete lack of just about everything,,,i was in this sport 20 years ago,,and it seems that it has taken such a nose dive.
I used to go to meetings with 15-30 boats,,,now only a few?
On returning to this,,,i see there are many hoops,financially, effort wise and general bullshit wise,, to jump threw !,WHY WOULD I WANT TO DO THIS?......
There doesn`t seem to be much of anything for smaller boats to compete in and those that are run , doesn`t have many competitors,,,
just making a point,,,but why not start from the bottom which is where most things start from and get yourself a decent home based powerboat set up racing series,, then take the next level and so on,,, eventually there will be a decent set up to go from,then jump the sizes up,,there are obviously more people with smaller boats , than million pound monsters,but each and everyone of them will all want a monster,,, you have to grow a garden,, you cant just go out and buy it!
As for racing abroad,, great if they have a series abroad, then those that can afford it will go and race there,,but if your home grown people arnt there then there will not be much of a future here,,"If you have bad feet you cant stand up"
Also there seems to be a huge emphasis on the outside of racing,,, i think most would throw away the ideal of meals and wines in the 5 star,, for a decent BBQ and some banter and the actual fact that some people actually met and had some racing!
I know , a few posts from a newbie, that thinks he knows something!,,but what i do know is, there is not much happening!

Regards,,,,, looking in from the outside!
dejasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #40
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Smillie View Post
I would just like to say that since our daughter has taken up Thundercat racing this season we have had a great time you can actually see the races and everyone is so helpful and friendly i suggest you all come and watch a race and see the difference good organisation makes! Claire
For once I agree strongly with you - Fiona is excellent at her job and as a full timer she can put the effort in to make it a really good series, the cream is that she is great at making everyone feel welcome and part of the "Family".