Boatmad.com

Old 25-06-2005, 03:53 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Thought

K Class
When I was 14 (1981) I was lucky enough to be allowed to race in The Cancer Research Race. Tony and Dawn Lewis from the RMYC will vouch for it.

It was amazing, sit there, hold on, and watch the big guys lap you 3 times. (Romans Sabre, Aquaglide etc.)

We broke the boat into the second lap…we beached. And it was all over.

So we go to prize giving. Fantastic it’s the teenage dream,

The RMYC give us a trophy for best effort…………..

Dad says on the way home, “I need a decent boat next year”.

History moves on….

25 years later, I’m sitting in Spain with my Dad, and a Google News Alert comes up, “A young thing is in a critical state during a race”

It’s one thing to be the youngest navigator ever in an Offshore Event, - Fact, 13 years 8 months. I hold that record.

And it was cool for my son to be to be the youngest ever down Windermere (Thanks Vicky)

But with due respect Powerboat Racing is a tough and dangerous game....and maybe not for the young?

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2005, 07:47 PM   #2
CB1

Having read your post and given it due thought, I dont think powerboat racing, kids style, is any more dangerous than them riding a bmx or skateboard at a designated park. The good thing with organised racing is that there is always trained medics on hand who can react immediatly.
The only problem that I can see imho, is that the kids and to some extent the organisers have let it become a contact sport.
Let me qualify that:- Last year my 12 year old son raced and when he had finished a heat and got back alongside all the talk was who had cut up or hit who. This became the norm at every venue and the kids were disscusing how they were going to deal with a racing incident on the water. Their ultimate reaction was I'm gonna hit him before he hits me! This was never stamped on and the culture amongst these young and impressionable people was allowed to spread.

CB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2005, 07:57 PM   #3
CB1

The organisers had the ultimate weapon, a black flag to the offending boats F1 style, to stop these on water incidents, but after quite a few dubious manovers I never saw this ultimate sanction used once and bumping became the excepted norm between competitors. Having been competing now for 12 years at home and abroad I have only ever had 2 contacts, 1 was my fault and 1 was not. These kids now have more contact in one heat. K class is a great idear and the only way to keep our sport alive. The organisers do a fantastic job and should be commended, however, they must also look at this new contact culture and take immediate action.
Old 25-06-2005, 08:30 PM   #4
hello

If they paid for the boats out of their own pockets they wouldn't be bumping them into each other!!!!
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2005, 09:14 PM   #5

I'm completely with chris on this. I can't comment re contact, I don't know the class well enough to know how prolific the problem is, but the comparison to skateboard, bmx etc (kids moto-x, go karting as well) is, in my opinion, a good one. I hope K-class continues from strength to strength.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2005, 10:39 PM   #6
CB1

johnny I dont think the money thing would make any difference, just depends how deep your parents pockets are!!! And if you are trying to relive lost youth through your kids they can be really big!!!! Look at the happy slapping thing that's going round, everyone knows it's wrong but still it happens cuz there is no ultimate sanction for that type of behaviour. A couple of hours community service dont mean squat. Same as being told dont do that again or next time....... I might flag you.
Old 25-06-2005, 10:43 PM   #7
CB1

Dont worrry about upsetting the parents, if the kid is in the wrong and driving like a **** let him know. My son was hit so hard up the stern at allhallows that his engine was knocked completely off the boat and spun around 360, the perpiptrator was awarded a yellow card for this which still hasn't been put on his licence!!
Old 25-06-2005, 11:07 PM   #8
hello

I meant if the kids had paid for the boats themselves they would think twice about using them to ram others out the way. I know its not feasable to make them buy their own boats as most kids dont have that sort of money, but to them they probably see it as easy come easy go. I would guess alot of them dont really worry to much if they damage the boat as it just gets fixed for the next race and they go again. The whole idea of this K class racing is to condition kids to the world of power boat racing, so maybe they should be made to see all the aspects of the sport including the financial burdons. In short if they damage their or someone else's boat intentionally they should be made to carry some or all of the repair cost's.
Old 25-06-2005, 11:14 PM   #9
hello

Reading your post again CB1, I see your point more clearly.

At the end of the day it would be upto the parents to pass the financial burdon onto their kids which they may not be willing to do if its going to affect their chances of winning.
Old 26-06-2005, 08:48 PM   #10

Interests: racing, gettin wet.
Boat name: sea j marine
Boat make: 12ft scorpio,14 fletcher,16 argo
Engines: 25hp merc and 90 yam
Cruising area: southampton water

And it was cool for my son to be to be the youngest ever down Windermere (Thanks Vick

ciao i think i sort of know you is your son a twin?
Old 27-06-2005, 12:54 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Praise the Lord ...no!

He did the first K class run at Windermere '02 with Vicky.

Far safer in my opinion, he gets himself in enough trouble on my PC, driving a race boat in the sea.... I think not.
Attached Images

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 02:18 PM   #12
JBP

Quote:
Originally posted by Ciao
Praise the Lord ...no!

Far safer in my opinion, he gets himself in enough trouble on my PC, driving a race boat in the sea.... I think not.
Not seen that picture for a while, that's the original K6 boat with a 18/20hp engine on the back. My son drove that to his first victory, funny enough, at the cancer charities race 03 when he was 8. His navigator was just 12, i think. Don't worry they had a seperate race to the main offshore guys.

That boat is now part of the Cheeky Racing team from Jersey.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 06:29 PM   #13

thats not one of the cheeky boats is it thats tom lamberts boat k3! look at the yellow vinel.
Old 27-06-2005, 06:35 PM   #14

i remember now i was the one who beat the record 03. at 32mph!! its amazing what those little boats will do whith me in the back!! from what ive been told inly the back was in the water.
Old 27-06-2005, 07:05 PM   #15
JBP

Quote:
Originally posted by K9 racing
thats not one of the cheeky boats is it thats tom lamberts boat k3! look at the yellow vinel.
Possibly but they both had that yellow on them, however the Julias house bit gives it away. Plus Toms interior is black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0009 crop.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	4267  
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2005, 06:25 PM   #16