Boatmad.com

Old 24-05-2005, 07:57 AM   #1
CB1

Torquay

Any of you good people,apart from current racers, going down for the weekend? Weather looks good at the moment, but as we all know that can change. Look foward to meeting some more of you. Come over and introduce yourselves and we can have a few beers CB1 C-12

CB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
Live for today, not 2moro

Interests: Racing
Boat name: Black Thunder
Boat make: Cougar
Engines: Rude 250HO
Cruising area: Solent/Anywhere

As you probably have gussed we will be down there as of Friday afternoon

Old 24-05-2005, 12:32 PM   #3

Likewise, though it depends a bit on what time I can sneek off work.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005, 01:02 PM   #4

Interests: Cruising
Boat name: Blue Ice
Boat make: Scorpion 7.5m RIB
Engines: Yamaha 200 hpdi
Cruising area: Solent

We'll be staying in Kingsbridge over the Bank Holiday weekend and hope to get to Torquay to see some of the racing. Does anyone know what time it is likely to start please?

Good luck to all those racing this weekend!
Old 24-05-2005, 02:36 PM   #5
CB1

There is racing both day, OCR and Thunderducks on Sat. Then on Sunday racing starts at 11ish with OCR and the f200. kicks off at 12.30 followed by V24, if there are any.
Old 24-05-2005, 03:53 PM   #6

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

whats happened to the v24s now
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005, 07:48 PM   #7

Interests: Floating- Flying & Beer
Boat name: final destiny
Boat make: Sunseeker Predator
Engines: 2 x MAN 800's
Cruising area: THE MED

V 24

The race details show that they are racing at 2 pm on the Sunday
not certain how many are running. Should be interesting to see if the class continues / grows. I recon it would be a shame if the class doesn’t continue, still thinking of getting one myself if I can fit in one!

Regards

Andy T
andytwemlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2005, 07:40 AM   #8
CB1

At the moment there are probially 3 racing. There are plenty for sale if your interested. It is a shame after two years of growth for the class that they have dwindled to such low numbers, but they are their own worst enimies.
Old 25-05-2005, 07:43 AM   #9
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

We'll be there from Saturday morning onwards - Harrier jump jet display an Saturday afternoon as well!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2005, 08:02 AM   #10
Dan
On a roll

Interests: Bristol Rovers, Cider & Boats
Boat name: Aqua Thunder, Badboy
Boat make: Bernico F2, Phantom 21
Engines: Merc 280efi, Merc 260efi
Cruising area: Worldwide

Is Saturday the main day then? If so that means I can do Torquay on the Saturday and Weston on the Sunday.
Old 25-05-2005, 08:21 AM   #11
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

There is racing both days, but the F200 is on sunday (class 3 offshore, F1 Ribs, basic 200hp boats). OCR and thundercats are both days I think - I'll try and put a timetable up later today.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 11:23 PM   #12

Interests: Time Trialling
Boat name: Manx Cat
Cruising area: From Shoreham

Hi,
The Bellamos will be down - hope you are all doing well and looking foward to a great weekend's racing & watchin.
Lorenzo
LorenZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 07:57 AM   #13

Boat make: DIESEL EXTRAVAGANZA 16'
Engines: MERC 1.7 DTI

Quote:
Originally posted by CB1
At the moment there are probially 3 racing. There are plenty for sale if your interested. It is a shame after two years of growth for the class that they have dwindled to such low numbers, but they are their own worst enimies.
It is a shame but when one person pulls out who happens to own 4 boats it is a fair chunk of the fleet.
It's only Torquay that will have low numbers and that's not just V-24 is it Chris.
Ramsgate is the first proper event for V-24.
and as for buying one why go second hand when I can do sutch a good deal on a new one.
Gavin Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 08:46 AM   #14
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Originally posted by CB1
I think there will be no V24's racing.

Given the cockpit change requirement, no current design V24 boats should pass scruiteneering, and as far as I know there are no changed boats at the moment. It is a simple matter of moving the shoulder strap harness points from the base of the seat to rear firewall, but this takes a little while, and the RYA only thought to mention this on the 20th, giving everyone loads of time to make the required arrangements.

Additionally, all the Pascoe rigged boats do not have the correct engine cut out. The external engine cut-out is incorrectly marked accourding the the UIM rules, and it does not cut out the engine! It does kill the electrics, but if the engine is running, it will continue to run on its own power. Again - not a biggie, just more time than you have when failed by the scruiteneers a few hours before the race.

Finally - I thought the organisers of the races and the RYA played a good part in messing up the V24 season. The RYA seem to think that V24 is their personal bank, and charge outrageous fees for V24. Someone still needs to explain to me why it costs twice as much to re-issue an A4 sheet of paper for a V24 than it does for other classes? And why the Licence fee is more expensive than other categories? There will be many more V24's at the Poole Basic race than at the National Championships because of the RYA! Owners of V24's are quite pissed with having to fund the RYA, and then get zero support from the RYA.

As for the organisers, they initially demanded that V24 guarantee nine starting boats or they would not run the race. Then they said that there would be no support trucks or campers allowed. They published the race entry fee for V24's as £190, but if you actually entered, then then upped this to £220 - because this is what they charged V24 last year!

So I think some of the V24 drivers will be having a weekend off. I know one is in the Carribian with his family, as they had already booked the time off work, and that seemed a better idea than getting abuse at Torquay. And in London you should see some race preperation testing of a V24 on the Thames...

There is an underlying message here. For a long time some race organisers and the RYA have goten away with doing whatever they felt like, and stuff the racers. The most popular classes of racing are those classes who have removed themselves from the RYA & established organisers.

Zap cat and Honda do well.

They do well because they have removed the irritation and problem source called 'organisers' who dont really care about the actual man in his boat. Their supposed 'customer' the person they are supposed to look after and arrange races for! ZapCat and Honda could do better if they could remove the RYA from their list of problems to overcome as well, but currently they have to suffer the RYA

There are some organisers who actually care about the people they are organising the race for. Their mental approach to the race is different. They seem to think about the person who has spent loads of money on a boat and on licencing etc. They put this person first, and assist the racer in racing. Then they think of the other 'issues' like what the council wants, what the sponsors want etc...

Other clubs seem to think they can arrange a race and the boats *have* to arrive and race, and get annoyed/angry when people dont enter their races. The thing I am seeing at the moment is some clubs trying to pack in constant activity and over pack their time with many classes and many boats - to the detriment of everyone.

What is the answer? - in my opinion : Support those organisers who look after you and your enjoyment of your sport, and dont enter those races where the organisers dont give a stuff. This way the 'spectacle' being offered by some clubs will fall short of the mark, and will loose out - whilst those that manage their events correctly will benefit.

Bottom line: V24 is too good a class not to succeed.

Bottom line: V24 needs to be taken away from the club organisers that dont give a stuff, and taken away from people who just want to make money from it, and given to those clubs who *want* V24 to race at their events, and - like Honda and Zap Cat - if V24 can get to arrange their own events, there is no other class as good for tight exciting racing!
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 10:14 AM   #15
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

An excellent post!

Although none of this is new, and V24 certainly aren't the only, or first class to be 'raped' financially by our governing body, nor I suspect, the last!

JF

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2005, 04:00 AM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
The story is this; Powerboat Racing is a strange hobby.

And it has been ever thus.

The guys that “pitch up” for a race are one thing, the racer keeps going for as long as he can afford it is another thing.

We had a situation recently where “Silversufer” broke his engine at the Thames Estuary race.

Shame.

But you can’t go racing without cost.

That is the deal.

This Forum is full of newbies that want to sort out their Phantom,
What prop? What engine height?

Well BluFin in 1980 had totally sorted out a p21, and was the only National Champion ever in a p21.

He knows how to set up a P21.

Lets get up to speed guys, when I was 17 years old (1981) I ran a Phantom 16 down Windermere at 53mph, …

Good boat, but moving on.

19 years later we were looking for the record which was 83 mph+
with a 90hp, we ran 82.,1hull shapes an props move on……………..
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2005, 12:40 PM   #17
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Originally posted by Ciao

But you can’t go racing without cost.

That is the deal.
Racing is an expensive sport.

And there are costs involved. But I dont understand - and I dont want to accept - that the RYA is profiteering from a class who they assume can afford to pay more for their racing! Especially when that class is the one I am involved with.

For an example ( there are several others, including licence, insurance, entry fees, initial setup fees etc ) Look at the simple act of renewing your Measurement Certificate for the year. You phone up the RYA and ask for a renewal of your measurement certificate. They print out a single A4 sheet of paper, sign and stamp it, and pop it in the post. the work and effort involved is the same for a 1.3 or a 1.8 litre boat. Yet the RYA charges V24 £110 for this service, and charges the 1.3 and 1.8 litre guys £58.

All other classes including RIBs are charged £68 for the service. Is the V24 certificate printed on special paper? Does it have additional work? No - it is issued to people that the RYA think can afford to pay more.

I believe that under European legislation, this sort of thing is actually illegal. Anyone have a comment on that? I have time and money on my hands, and would not mind a trip down to the courts to challenge the RYA. Obviously if I am missing something obvious, please tell!
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2005, 05:07 PM   #18
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Why did I stop racing - cost simple and effective.
I got fed up with so called clubs & individuals milking the the sport to fund there weeken pi*s ups. Half of it is jumped up mumbo jumbo to create jobs for the boys.
How many UKOBA members here feel they have had VFM so far this season? Apart from one or 2 posts here and a totally static web site, what else is high profile. Oh a golf day maybe it should be UKOBAGA
WIth regard to safty issues they should be incorp straight away tough luck on the notice period otherwise 2 years was the way before.
Any success recently has always come from a breakaway, stay affiliated and your stuffed seems to be the norm.
Just look at the success at Barrow, QED
But heck it's up to the races to choose I just saying why I jumped ship. They have to decide the direction they want to go in.
How many 2.5 merc owners here that dont fit into any national class... loads, where can they compete..no where.
Not on a high horse here there are a lot of dedicated hardworking individuals behind the scenes but a load of sponges also.
DOes it really cost all these pounds to produce a measurement certificate... no it dont. Do you really need to be tied up with the UIM no ya dont...do you really need a pic on the licence no again. do you really need half the stuff... no.
They should be looking of ways of cutting the costs to the bone to promote. Would I ever get a licence again £ 500.00 for paper or shall I spend that elsewhere, afraid elsewhere will win every time.
What do you need for racing.... compeditors without them there is no need of clubs or bodies. just whish people wouldnt loose sight of that sometimes.
Long live and best of luck to F200
But count yourselves lucky the london offshore thingy to froglandia is £800.00 entry & £700 for each passenger. But a certain high profile powerboaters supports this event. How the heck with that sort of money is anybody whos normal get a look in. Simply you dont and that is the nut kicker & the way they want it to be. JFTB (Jobs for the boys)

Oh cancel that high horse bit I got on one a little there

Power to the Powerboater & up the Revoloution

I must stop drinking on sunday afternoons

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #19

Interests: danger boat
Boat name: Blue Ice
Boat make: Scorpion RIB 7.5m
Engines: Just the one :-(
Cruising area: In the sea

Quote:
Originally posted by BluFin
But count yourselves lucky the london offshore thingy to froglandia is £800.00 entry & £700 for each passenger.
Interesting! Although it's an interesting event, there's no way I'd consider paying £1500 to enter such an event (that's if I had a spare £1500!!) and add that to what's known about the organisers' connection to a charter company which operated in an allegedly illegal manner... (will add link later if Johnson can afford the lawsuit!)

Found the old thread on the toob site... it's quite amusing how the London Offshore Powerboat Club emailed a disgruntled custome from their previous "scam" and confirmed the connection!

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....spectre+defeat

Ice Kiddie is offline   Reply With Quote