Boatmad.com

Old 12-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #121

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Oikari View Post
RB 2008, last leg Lowestoft - Portsmouth, almost 200 miles. Bit bumpy around Dover but OK otherwise.
Should be no problems from London to Brighton.
I found the same.

Lowestoft - Portsmouth in 48 minutes, however, I was sensible and used an aeroplane.

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #122

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
If you have time -

Graham Stevens and Jon Hedges have the film online.

LINK
Nice Vid Ciao thanks for providing the link

pain-terra28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #123

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by pain-terra28 View Post
Nice Vid Ciao thanks for providing the link
Plenty more on powerboatarchive.co.uk
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Plenty more on powerboatarchive.co.uk
THANKS Ciao been up all night once you start watching hard to stop .

t
pain-terra28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #125

Interests: photography, powerboat racing, motogp, anything that goes fast!

Torquay Race May Entry form

If you need a entry form for the race please e-mail me and I will send you one.Thanks.
ormiston3633@onwight.net
snapper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #126

[FONT="Verdana"]We've just issued a press release to the marine-sector media ....so we thought we'd share it here as well with you guys (group email sent to all teams as well):

New Ocean-Class powerboat race delivers World-Class Adventure

2,400 miles of the very toughest conditions which the ocean can muster up,
forcing teams to crash mercilessly through wave after relentless wave for hours on end over 15 days. This is the Venture Cup, the world’s longest, toughest and most prestigious powerboat race, where technical excellence, bravery and courage join forces to do battle against the elements. This is a powerboat race of epic proportions featuring multi-leg, multi-day, multi-country racing for boats capable of competing in ultra-marathon events .....an event which The Sunday Telegraph in England recently declared the “return of the ultimate glamour race”

The Venture Cup is specifically designed to appeal to mainstream audiences, and in the past this would have been an impossible task. With the racing taking place miles out to sea it’s never going to be a ‘spectator sport’ - outside of pit areas and finishing lines - but modern technology means that it can be a ‘consumed sport’ where all of the excitement can be brought directly to fans wherever they may be. As a sporting event in the mainstream this race isn’t about boats, or horsepower, drives, legs and propellors ....it’s about adventure, challenge, risk and reward, bravery and achievement.

The crews of the ultra-endurance Venture Cup will be forced to hammer across, through and sometimes under the waves in a brutal, bone-shaking marathon that will often last more than 5 hours a day, every day, pushing men and their machines to the limit. Boats and crews alike will experience ankle-smashing and hull-snapping forces in excess of 30g, with hearts beating at 150+ bpm, hour after hour, wave after wave. The organisers will be bringing all of this exhilarating action to consumers in a dynamic way, virtually putting them in the boat with the crews, to experience the tension, drama, and excitement each day brings.

In a few weeks time we’ll be hosting a major mainstream media launch in London, and in advance of that we’re now bringing our story to the marine-leisure sector.

Background
Recent years have seen a number of high-profile offshore powerboat races and series cancelled for a variety of reasons, and the race-teams associated with these events came together for a meeting at the London Boat Show in January of this year to see if there was a better way to move the sport forward. The outcome of that meeting has seen the establishment of an entirely new structure which combines some of the very biggest and best names in powerboat racing with some highly experienced international event professionals. This new approach has already yielded some major successes and the organisers are fully confident that the Venture Cup will fulfill its
potential of becoming not only a top-end powerboat racing name, but a major international sports property. Racing will be conducted with the full support
and oversight of both the UK national authority (RYA) and the sport’s global governing body (UIM).

2013: Venture Cup Prologue
On June 8th of 2013 the Venture Cup Prologue will set off from Tower Bridge in central London to begin a 750 nautical mile, 4-day, 3-country adventure. This prologue is designed to allow us to test crews, boats, officials, processes and technologies in advance of the big race in 2014. The main race will involve distances and challenges that haven’t been faced by anyone in more than forty years, so it’s appropriate that we should ensure that all elements are battle-hardened in a prologue event.

2014: Venture Cup Race 1
The first full Venture Cup revisits what many consider the all-time greatest powerboat race, which was run once before in 1972 from London to
Monte-Carlo. At 0900 on Saturday the 31st of May 2014, right in the heart of London at Tower Bridge, the inaugural Venture Cup will begin. The following 15 days will see the fleet race over 2,400 miles across treacherous seas, visiting 11 cities in 5 countries.

Future Races
The main Venture Cup race will run every two years. At present the following routes are under active consideration:
- New York to Miami
- Abu Dhabi to Mumbai
- Cowes to St. Petersburg
- Tokyo to Hong Kong
- Belem to Rio de Janeiro

Race in the Venture Cup
Entries are currently being taken for both the 2013 Prologue and the full race in 2014, with many major international teams already on board. Aside from a world-class adventure, there are considerable supports available to entrants. If you’ve a team that would like to know more about entering, or if you’re interested in finding out how to get a seat in one of the boats, please send an email to hello@ventureoffshorecup.com

Environmental Responsibility
The Venture Cup is exciting, ambitious and new - as are our environmental objectives. We will build in all the possible safeguards we can and we will also learn along the journey and get cleaner and greener as we go. To aid our learning we will set up comprehensive monitoring systems and carry out research on environmental aspects that aren’t fully understood. We will work with the best academics, environmentalists and institutes and we will share our learning. As we race across different parts of the world, we will adapt our activities to meet the local and national environmental requirements and we will always be conscious of our cumulative as well as our direct impact. We will encourage efficient use of materials in the design of boats and we will help drive new engine designs with innovative clean technology and we will give awards to the best exponents. The environmental credentials of the Venture Cup are not a green wash, afterthought or an added extra, they are at the start and heart of the adventure and we expect to be judged accordingly.
Our Ocean
We know that the oceans are the key component in the ‘earth system’ , not only do they provide 50% of the air that we breathe but they are also play a fundamental role in the carbon, nutrient, thermohaline and water cycles. The Venture Cup will invest in this asset for now and the future.
Carbon
We will calculate and offset the carbon used during the race, but this is not enough. We are developing methodologies to measure as much of the
peripheral activity that surrounds the race and we will be constantly seeking ways of reducing our footprint.
Habitats and Species
We will take every feasible step to avoid disturbing the wildlife of our estuaries, coasts an oceans by carefully plotting our course in conjunction with the relevant conservation authorities. If we have to go around we will, if we have to slow down we will and at all times we will watch and learn.
Racing Green
The Venture Cup will comply or exceed the environmental rules laid down by the sport’s governing bodies. Environmental aspects of these rules include:
- Air quality
- Noise levels
- Waste reduction, recycling and disposal
- Refueling, washing and servicing
- Contamination risks from fuel, oil and other fluids

Economic Innovation
The advanced technologies required to build modern powerboats directly feeds into the production of mainstream, military and rescue boats. Therefore, The Venture Cup represents an economic force for change that will raise engineering skills and provide jobs and growth in the marine sector. We will also carry out unique and much needed research for example we will study the impact on high speed hulls and humans. This research element is currently being led by industry-pioneer Dr. Johan Ullman. In addition to the research element of the race, many of our teams are building completely new boats for this challenge - some in excess of €1 million. This is a significant investment in the marine sector at a time of widespread doom and gloom.

Social Responsibility
Most water based sports properties carry little or nothing to encourage new people on to the water. In contrast, right across all of our public-facing activity we will activity inform, engage and encourage new people to get out on the water and enjoy all of the associated health and well-being benefits. We will respect the people and communities where we race and whilst we will may not arrive unnoticed we will always depart as friends

Further Information
Anyone seeking further information on Venture Cup racing, partnering or any other related item can contact the organisers on hello@ventureoffshorecup.com
Additional information is also available at:
Event website: www.ventureoffshorecup.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ventureoffshorecup.com
blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #127

Your list of future races must be a wish list because it’s naive to think that you could possibly race from Abu Dhabi to Mumbai. Have you actually looked at a map of this area? I know it well and if you think you are going to run round the peninsula of Oman and through the Straits of Hormuz at speed only 20 odd miles from Iran then you must have a death wish for your race crews. The Iranian Navy will use them for target practice with their SSM’s.
Popeyethebrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #128

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

venture cup team,please update your home page,these stats make me laugh everytime i see them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vc_stats.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	37794  
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #129

Cruising area: South Coast

Wonder when the website will be updated so all the interested parties can see who might be going to play?
billy no boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #130

Carl - delighted to have given you a chuckle
...any chance you could tell me which bit(s) tickle you the most?

Billy - the current iteration of the site is an interim measure, where we removed all of the references to the former plans. A new version of the site will be in place in advance of our public launch which happens later in March. I can tell you though that there's quite a few boats that have never raced these waters before going to be on the start line.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #131

Can't make my mind up but my favourites are the 1 million or 100 million statements
Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #132

Ok Carl, I'll bite....

Firstly, the vast majority of those figures relate to the 2014 race..

1 million combined visitors to the race venues

Barcelona had 1.2 million people out on Barceloneta Beach on one evening for a Red Bull air race a few years ago ...we're there for three days

Tall Ships Race in Dublin (more a 'visual' event, than a race) had 1.1 million people out last Summer

Volvo Ocean Race in Galway, 2008 (a city with a population of 75,000, out on the West Coast, with no strong history in sailing) had 650,000+ in 2009. Last year they repeated the exercise and over 820,000 people came out to party over one week.

These are all single venues .....we'll be visiting twelve ...over 15 days ....and many of these will have multi-day festivals built around our stopover.

From my own experience that 1 million figure is conservative.

100 million fans and consumers following the race

We go back to the Volvo Ocean Race ....global TV audience of 1.327 billion, global radio listenership of 1.1 billion. Admittedly we'll be, at best, a fraction of the size of this event at the end of our 2014 race, but then we're only looking for a fraction of those numbers

Our TV 'reach' for next year, as guided by our media rights partners, is well in excess of 2 billion ....it's now up to us to give those people something strong enough to turn a sizeable chunk of 'reach' into 'viewers/consumers'.

I understand that under current 'powerboat racing' indicators those figures could seem wildly optimistic, but we're not pulling the figures out of our bum ...there is quite a bit of thought gone into creating them, and how to deliver them.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #133
The Doc

When red bull announce an event, it happens. Hence their fantastic support from crowds. I love all forms of powerboat racing, but even my glasses aren't that rose-tinted.
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #134

...then I look forward to working me butt off to try and prove you wrong ....as do the rest of the broad team now working every day on it.

....quick clarification Chaos ...we haven't publicly announced the event yet (only information about it is currently limited to the marine-leisure sector). Our mainstream launch is being held in London in a few weeks time ...details of which were sent to the teams last Friday night.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimp View Post
Ok Carl, I'll bite....

From my own experience
And what is your "experience"?
Marinautic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #136

Yikes ....beginning to feel the walls closing in around me here!!

FWIW ...20+ years of events, national and international ....sporting, cultural and municipal. All with commercial drivers.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #137

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

Let's just see the event happen and enjoy it. I can understand the cynicism because of the last few years but this really could be the kickstart of a whole new way, what withbthis and the events sepa are securing could bring back top end events.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #138
The Doc

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to see the event happen. It does seem though that the current trend in this sport is the bolder the initial statement, the less likely it is to happen. I still think hats off to old Lloydie for getting the 2008 onwards series of events (and subsequent momentum) to go ahead.
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #139

Extract from recent Blimp communication.

"4. ENTRIES (form and payments)

Both our race admin team and our financial team are threatening all kinds of apocalyptic pain if fingers aren't pulled out soon. If you still haven't sent on your entry form, or your payment, can you do so now as a matter of urgency? We'll be telling the world all about this in a few weeks time, and we really want your team to be part of that story. "

So, have you actually got ANY paid up entries?
Popeyethebrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimp View Post
Ok Carl, I'll bite....

Firstly, the vast majority of those figures relate to the 2014 race..

1 million combined visitors to the race venues

Barcelona had 1.2 million people out on Barceloneta Beach on one evening for a Red Bull air race a few years ago ...we're there for three days

Tall Ships Race in Dublin (more a 'visual' event, than a race) had 1.1 million people out last Summer

Volvo Ocean Race in Galway, 2008 (a city with a population of 75,000, out on the West Coast, with no strong history in sailing) had 650,000+ in 2009. Last year they repeated the exercise and over 820,000 people came out to party over one week.

These are all single venues .....we'll be visiting twelve ...over 15 days ....and many of these will have multi-day festivals built around our stopover.

From my own experience that 1 million figure is conservative.

100 million fans and consumers following the race

We go back to the Volvo Ocean Race ....global TV audience of 1.327 billion, global radio listenership of 1.1 billion. Admittedly we'll be, at best, a fraction of the size of this event at the end of our 2014 race, but then we're only looking for a fraction of those numbers

Our TV 'reach' for next year, as guided by our media rights partners, is well in excess of 2 billion ....it's now up to us to give those people something strong enough to turn a sizeable chunk of 'reach' into 'viewers/consumers'.

I understand that under current 'powerboat racing' indicators those figures could seem wildly optimistic, but we're not pulling the figures out of our bum ...there is quite a bit of thought gone into creating them, and how to deliver them.
good luck