Boatmad.com

Old 26-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #221
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Here are a few shots from the event:

Don't forget to check out our sponsors - www.e-lites.co.uk for electronic cigarettes and www.ILoveMeetandGreet.co.uk for airport valet parking - thanks!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #222
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

Could someone please explain the how a hot start differs from a race start.

Old 26-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #223

london

nice pics jon.....
ashley nihell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #224
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Could someone please explain the how a hot start differs from a race start.
Here's the subtle difference between 1972 and now.

Old 27-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #225
Ben

Ah, I think I understand. If a barrier is involved the race start should be on one side of it and the hot start on the other.

I wish I had known that when I was organising the Spithead and Gosport races in the 90s. I stupidly had the race start on the western side of the submarine barrier when I should have had the race start east of the barrier with the fleet going through the Dolphin Passage with the hot start on the western side.

Aside from that, the Thames Barrier has been raced through since its construction. I realise that is no longer permitted but I'm still none the wiser how a race start differs from a hot start. Is what is being called the race start the beginning of a rather long parade under the control of the start boat to where the timing will begin (the hot start)?
Old 27-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #226
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Is what is being called the race start the beginning of a rather long parade under the control of the start boat to where the timing will begin (the hot start)?
That is my understanding, we just need some details now, I would be surprised if anyone thought we would have open racing from Tower Bridge.

Old 27-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #227
Ben

Thanks John.
Old 27-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #228

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

I imagine its the same principal used from cowes to hurst for the ctc.
Old 27-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #229
Engine tester

The thinking is about getting PLA back on board with allowing powerboat racing on the Thames at all. London is what was always envisaged back in ML's time and he got a knock back, fair play to the team getting it through.

My understanding is the spectacle of race powerboats through Tower Bridge will be achieved but the fleet will be controlled to ensure they don't fall foul of the numerous navigational restraints they are under. That control is key to securing the future.

Once past Margaretness those restraints reduce somewhat but you are left with a fairly indescript area to release the fleet with next to no visibility for the public and still some major obstacles in the way such as new superports and tanker terminals.

Southend Council have stepped in here as it coincides with them removing the airshow from their agenda and want to promote a water festival to take it's place. So the release of the fleet to their own devices is planned from the pierhead creating yet another spectacle.

The plans for the Southend festival are evolving but I can say from my chat with the organiser and councillor responsible they are talking about in the coming years this festival being up there with their airshow and the possibility of Marathon becoming a centre piece of a very large event.

So it's about turning the constraints into benefits, something I think the team are doing very well.

Event village in Canary Wharf, Powerboats through the centre of the capital city and a powerboat start within reach of the public without the use of telephoto lenses supported by all other varieties of waterbourne users. And that's just the start. Yacht Club de Monaco coming on board for next year.

Hard to critise really.
Old 27-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #230
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorvator View Post

Hard to critise really.
Agreed. Thanks very much for the explanation and insight.
Old 27-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #231
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
I imagine its the same principal used from cowes to hurst for the ctc.
That's what I had been thinking.
Old 28-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #232

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorvator View Post
The thinking is about getting PLA back on board with allowing powerboat racing on the Thames at all. London is what was always envisaged back in ML's time and he got a knock back, .
Breaking my own rules I have to respond to this point. It was NEVER EVER my intention to use the Thames as the start of the Cowes to Monte-Carlo race. So I don't know where you got that idea from.

From discussions with some of the racers in those far off days of 1972 it was apparent that they lost several boats by the time they got to Cowes from London. Out of a fleet of 22 that was serious stuff and the flotsam in the Thames contributed to that as it did in many of the Putney/Calais races which some might remember.

I wanted a spectacular start from Cowes down the Solent one that thousands of spectators - both on and off the water - could enjoy as they did during the RB08 start which ran right through the Solent from Portsmouth to Hurst. It would mean that more boats might survive the whole race rather than lose so many at the start as they did in 1972. However, that's all history now and you guys have to do what you have to do.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #233
Engine tester

Apologies Mike I may have wrongly assumed you were one amongst the band of people chasing PLA to allow racing back up the Thames. I shall blame the gin.

Anyway Thames it is which just as well, <pulls pin> cause us east coasters were beginning to think the southern woofters didn't like us any more.
Old 28-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
Breaking my own rules I have to respond to this point. It was NEVER EVER my intention to use the Thames as the start of the Cowes to Monte-Carlo race. So I don't know where you got that idea from.

From discussions with some of the racers in those far off days of 1972 it was apparent that they lost several boats by the time they got to Cowes from London. Out of a fleet of 22 that was serious stuff and the flotsam in the Thames contributed to that as it did in many of the Putney/Calais races which some might remember.

I wanted a spectacular start from Cowes down the Solent one that thousands of spectators - both on and off the water - could enjoy as they did during the RB08 start which ran right through the Solent from Portsmouth to Hurst. It would mean that more boats might survive the whole race rather than lose so many at the start as they did in 1972. However, that's all history now and you guys have to do what you have to do.
ML.
"The 2008 Round Britain Management team of Mike Lloyd, Peter Myles and Alan Goodwin are back
and intend to bring back to life one of the most famous of all offshore races, one that hasn’t taken
place for 38 years, a race that is longer, harder, bigger and tougher than any other offshore powerboat race in
the world. At 2400 nautical miles it is 1,000 miles longer than the Round Britain Race."

Confusing.

I think many believed the authorities were not prepared to let the start happen in London.

Different ball game now.

By the way cookee great pictures of safe smoking not sure the pictures told the story they were supposed to.

Constructed critisism only from me now.

First one is drop the venture cup theme. Its the LONDON to MONTE-CARLO
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #235
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post

By the way Cookee great pictures of safe smoking not sure the pictures told the story they were supposed to.

Constructed criticism only from me now.
We just turned up an were photographed so as far as I'm concerned it's a double win for my sponsors!

Old 29-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #236

A huge thanks again to all who helped / came along / supported us last Tuesday ....including whoever was responsible for the awesome weather.

It's quite right to say that historically there've been issues on the Thames with flotsam, jetsam and general floating dangers. It's not quite so much of an issue these days due to the measures introduced over the past few decades. In addition we're running close to low-tide which, the PLA inform us, tends to see the worst of the junk sit on the banks making it the safest time to run. Nothing's guaranteed though - Buzzi and Hendricks showed in RB08 that you don't need to be running down the Thames to get into difficulties - but we all felt that the positives more than outweighed the negatives.

With regard to the name, it's going to be staying as the Venture Cup. Going with something that just uses the start and finish points causes difficulties when you're looking at something that runs every few years (eg: how would you link this year's event to next year's?).
blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimp View Post
A huge thanks again to all who helped / came along / supported us last Tuesday ....including whoever was responsible for the awesome weather.

It's quite right to say that historically there've been issues on the Thames with flotsam, jetsam and general floating dangers. It's not quite so much of an issue these days due to the measures introduced over the past few decades. In addition we're running close to low-tide which, the PLA inform us, tends to see the worst of the junk sit on the banks making it the safest time to run. Nothing's guaranteed though - Buzzi and Hendricks showed in RB08 that you don't need to be running down the Thames to get into difficulties - but we all felt that the positives more than outweighed the negatives.

With regard to the name, it's going to be staying as the Venture Cup. Going with something that just uses the start and finish points causes difficulties when you're looking at something that runs every few years (eg: how would you link this year's event to next year's?).
The Weather was down to me

On Blade run 20 odd boats ran down the river in 2006 without a problem.

Constructive comments must be usefull to you guys so that this race/adventure will be the best. In my opnion this years race is nothing like next years as next years race will probably never happen again for another 38years.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #238

Well then a massive thank you ....you might advise on where to send the cheque to

All comments, constructive or otherwise, are more than welcome. This year is indeed only a small % of what next year will be, but we should get some benefit that we can bank for next year's BIG one. That's why it's useful to have a connection to both ....just as it will be after next year when we plan for the next BIG one
Old 30-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #239

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

london to monte and just add the date,i personally dont like venture cup
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #240

HOW TO FOLLOW THE RACE LIVE - First notice

You've got two choices: either watch it on our website www.ventureoffshorecup.com, or download the Yellowbrick App. Our race will start to show on the app very soon, but you can download it now in advance (our race will be FREE).

For iOS (Apple) users, go to:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/yell...452193682?mt=8

For Android users go to:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ceviewer&hl=en