Old 06-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #41

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream-it.com View Post
It does take electricity but when that electricity is generated using wind or wave energy does it matter? You are right though it is a bit early. But the point is this industry is crammed with old technology and that has to change. Remember Ford never designed his original cars to run on petrol...but from the fruits of the field!
How much energy does it take to make a wind or wave generator ??

Old 06-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #42

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

back to original question...

I have raced for many years, many boats and campaigns - and although I can not see me racing a full season again due time and other interests I do miss my racing and would still like to race. However:

- there is not one class that really appeals / offers enough competitive racing
- not interested in racing one designs
- not really interested in very short laps only, I like the challenge of offshore and rough water.
- not enough really good venues

Overall for me 3C was always a really good class - but is a shadow of the class we used to know for various reasons. It has also become very expensive and just cannot justify the expense of putting togther a competitive rig

3D was again a fantastic class - but has also gone.

RIB racing could have been the answer - but has also pretty much gone.

Marathon racing would be great too - but again a lot of money in any class - and is it really getting enough support / entries?

So - really hope the 3B series takes off and gets the support it deserves. I would certainly look at racing - although a lot depends on the project(s) I'm involved with as sales of the boats - as I would probably not race directly against clients.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #43

Boat name: The Rock - 66
Boat make: Doug Wright 32
Engines: Merc EFI 280s
Cruising area: Middle East

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRDA View Post
How much energy does it take to make a wind or wave generator ??
Makes no odds if that energy is renewable too...as long as you generate more than your origination then it becomes a mathematical solution.

The point is this: research is telling me people are becoming less inclined to waste money on inefficient boats...and especially expensive fuel...as you know the exciting thing is making them faster and more efficient and there are soon going be better ways of doing that. So the point isn't a green debate it is about innovation, efficiency and also marketing. The better you innovate and market the more people will join...the attraction is disipating and COST is clearly one key reason which keeps resurfacing. Would people race if you could increase efficiency and make things cheaper/stronger to construct and cheaper to use? But at the same time provide the buzz and excitement of competitive racing? If F1 cars are seeing the opportunity so why not invent and not re-invent?

Scream-it.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #44

Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Boat make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engines: Verado 350 Sci
Cruising area: Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
back to original question...

I have raced for many years, many boats and campaigns - and although I can not see me racing a full season again due time and other interests I do miss my racing and would still like to race. However:

- there is not one class that really appeals / offers enough competitive racing
- not interested in racing one designs
- not really interested in very short laps only, I like the challenge of offshore and rough water.
- not enough really good venues

Overall for me 3C was always a really good class - but is a shadow of the class we used to know for various reasons. It has also become very expensive and just cannot justify the expense of putting togther a competitive rig

3D was again a fantastic class - but has also gone.

RIB racing could have been the answer - but has also pretty much gone.

Marathon racing would be great too - but again a lot of money in any class - and is it really getting enough support / entries?

So - really hope the 3B series takes off and gets the support it deserves. I would certainly look at racing - although a lot depends on the project(s) I'm involved with as sales of the boats - as I would probably not race directly against clients.
Its really easy Adam.. Guernsey 2011 has all your requirements. You can incorporate a holiday here at the same time..
We have some of the best waters for playing in..

Tony
TonyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #45

Actually - have been talking to Larby and a couple of the other racers in Guernsey about coming across. May just be for one or two races - but would be great to do.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
Its really easy Adam.. Guernsey 2011 has all your requirements. You can incorporate a holiday here at the same time..
We have some of the best waters for playing in..

Tony
Guernsey & Ireland are merely doing what we have been proposing !! ie all racing together in simplified classes !!
Old 06-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #47

Quote:
Guernsey & Ireland are merely doing what we have been proposing !! ie all racing together in simplified classes !!
Could well be the way forward - although I think for the UK some of the International classes need to be allowed for as well, or at least fit into your overall scheme.

I think it would be great if all racing togther - but the sport just does not feel as if all classes / organisers / RYA etc really want to work together. There just seems so much niggling, disagreement and general moaning from competitors / boatmad followers! I think a much more positive, honest attitude to racing would go along way.

We have a great sport - and need to find a way of working and racing together.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #48
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream-it.com View Post

And JF? What do you think about my concept of marathon?

www.ecochallengers.co.uk
Dunno, haven't seen it. But I'm not sure changing the concept when we're only 3 years in would be popular, if that's your plan.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #49

Interests: Heavy Heavy Metal
Boat name: Slayer II, Slayer, Pen15
Boat make: Phantom 19G-R, Bernico F2 Extreme, Ring 15
Engines: Evinrude 115HO, Yam 90
Cruising area: Channel Islands

Quote:
Could well be the way forward - although I think for the UK some of the International classes need to be allowed for as well, or at least fit into your overall scheme.

I think it would be great if all racing togther - but the sport just does not feel as if all classes / organisers / RYA etc really want to work together. There just seems so much niggling, disagreement and general moaning from competitors / boatmad followers! I think a much more positive, honest attitude to racing would go along way.

I agree with this 100%. Just look at the posts in the Muster Area for starters. For every positive post or race report there seems to be 3 negatives moaning about rules or something.

The system that the guys have set up over here seems to be working great. There's a variety of boats, which is set to get even more diverse in 2011. Everything from 3C batboats, 6 litre cats, Larby's huffed BBC Revenger, weekend warrior Rings & Phantoms. Even though some boats are noticeably quicker than others, everyone seems to have at least a couple of boats of around the same pace to compete with. The politics crap is still evident in places, but as long as the people that matter (ie racers and committee) stick together then it can only grow from strength to strength.

Too many chiefs not enough Indians maybe? Rule changes pricing people out of once popular classes? I think the RYA could do a lot more to promote powerboat racing, rather than just seeming to make everyone's life difficult and charge them a small fortune for the privelage. It took me ages to find PB1 on their website so we could start working out the best way to rig our boat.

I don't think there is an easy answer to getting people in boats and racing again, but it is possible... I think the growing numbers here are testament to that.
Paul E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #50

Quote:

All would be catered for !! Just like in France, Guernsey, Ireland, Malta etc. Ultimately with the likelyhood of a true European Championship (for those who want it)
The provisional plan is to get a series of events where all the boats effectively fit into under 2ltr (or 200hp) and over 2ltr with the over 2 ltr lapping on a 4-5mile lap around the outside of the smaller class (running 1-2 miles per lap) !! If Marathon want to join in they can run on a bigger course again around the outside. All start together and all finish roughly together !!

If this appeals to any of you then please get in touch and let someone in your club know that you intend to race because at the moment there are very few calendared events, because we dont know if we have any competitors !!
Old 06-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #51
numbskull

Quote:
If Marathon want to join in they can run on a bigger course again around the outside. All start together and all finish roughly together !!
You really 'don't get' the principle of Marathon, and why it appeals do you.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 06-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #52
The Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
I must admit, Ive started to wonder what the appeal is/was
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #53
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
I must admit, Ive started to wonder what the appeal is/was
To be fair, you need to have tried it.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #54

Quote:
All would be catered for !! Just like in France, Guernsey, Ireland, Malta etc. Ultimately with the likelyhood of a true European Championship (for those who want it)
The provisional plan is to get a series of events where all the boats effectively fit into under 2ltr (or 200hp) and over 2ltr with the over 2 ltr lapping on a 4-5mile lap around the outside of the smaller class (running 1-2 miles per lap) !! If Marathon want to join in they can run on a bigger course again around the outside. All start together and all finish roughly together !!

If this appeals to any of you then please get in touch and let someone in your club know that you intend to race because at the moment there are very few calendared events, because we dont know if we have any competitors !!
Sounds good - but the courses are too short for me - my personnal view - especially the 1-2 miles. I also like different laps, some short, some long etc.

And Marathon is about going places, making journey's - so can only see that working on a much bigger scale.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #55
numbskull

Quote:
And Marathon is about going places, making journey's - so can only see that working on a much bigger scale.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #56
The Doc

Quote:
To be fair, you need to have tried it.

Did you work that out all by yourself? nob!
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #57

Quote:
Perhaps you could enlighten me !! I thought it was something like :- Run down the start, Disappear for a couple of hours and then some of you come back !! What I am saying is that we ALL start together and the rest of us entertain the public whilst awaiting your return !!

I await the education !!
Old 06-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #58

Quote:
Sounds good - but the courses are too short for me - my personnal view - especially the 1-2 miles. I also like different laps, some short, some long etc.

How short & how Long !! It is perfectly feasible for some (maybe Classes 3a and 3ocr) to run a mix of both !!
The aim is to do the Impossible and please everybody all of the timeso it would be useful if some could work with us and suggest ways to make this happen !! We already tried the cost method (ie FREE racing ) but that did'nt work.

Lets start from scratch DOES ANYONE ON BOATMAD want to go racing ? Or are we barking up the wrong tree !!

If the explanation is'nt getting through then please feel free to give me a call !!

Bob
Old 06-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #59

Interests: boats,cars,bikes,paintball
Boat make: phantom 23,Extreme 24
Engines: 6.2 mercrusier + 2.5 280 mercy
Cruising area: solent

Lets start from scratch DOES ANYONE ON BOATMAD want to go racing ? Or are we barking up the wrong tree !!

Bob[/QUOTE]

yes but dont want to put a 90 yamaha on Apache when i have a 2.5 280
lloyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyde View Post

Bob
yes but dont want to put a 90 yamaha on Apache when i have a 2.5 280 [/QUOTE] ??

Then leave the 2.5 on then !! Who said anything about putting a 90 on ??

Bob