Boatmad.com

Old 19-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

Interests: Hillclimbing & Sprinting a Marcos V6

300 X or XS wanted

Hi

Just joined the Forum since I am looking for a 300hp+2 stroke engine to power my new Hillclimb & Sprint racecar. I have a brand new OMC V8 on reserve in the USA but costs of converting to Fuel Injection etc are mounting.

So does anybody have a Mercury or ? powerhead for sale. Model 300 X or XS is what I looking at.

Need just the engine + injectors + fuel pump, oil injection system, flywheel and starter. Will re engineer with Emerald mappable ECU .

Hillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #2

Engines: none at the mo
Cruising area: south coast

300 merc powerhead

am i reading this wrong, you want a 300 xs merc power head to power a hill climb car ?

deepvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #3

sweet!! please please please post pics and video please
serious3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #4

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

Driver510 on here had a 300. not sure if its sold.
Old 24-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #5

Yes, its to power a race car used for speed hill climbing at venues like Shelsley Walsh, Prescott etc with occasional sprints (1 lap) of Goodwood, Snetterton etc. Have used Rotax engines previously but need some more hp. I will use a CVT (Constantly Variable Transmission) like the old DAF system. Suits the 2 stroke characteristics perfectly.

There will be 6 Expansion chamber type exhausts, reworked porting, and an Emerald ECU to run the whole system. Its mappable from a lap top.

Considering sequential injection ( total of 12 injectors) with 2nd 6 coming in for above 75% throttle with methanol/oil mix for high RPM engine cooling and lubrication. Each exhaust port/pipe fitted with EGT and air/fuel ratio monitors to try and keep the rods in one piece.

After the test run, we fit the supercharger to run at 12 to 15 psi. SC powered by turbine powered 2000psi nitrogen gas so not to have any parasetic power loss.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with prior knowledge of any of these concepts or "Add Ons"

Peter
Old 24-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #6

Interests: ski racing
Boat name: Jack'd up, hellraiser
Boat make: Bernico 19 ET, ring 16
Engines: merc 135, merc 175, yam 90
Cruising area: Plymouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillclimber View Post
Yes, its to power a race car used for speed hill climbing at venues like Shelsley Walsh, Prescott etc with occasional sprints (1 lap) of Goodwood, Snetterton etc. Have used Rotax engines previously but need some more hp. I will use a CVT (Constantly Variable Transmission) like the old DAF system. Suits the 2 stroke characteristics perfectly.

There will be 6 Expansion chamber type exhausts, reworked porting, and an Emerald ECU to run the whole system. Its mappable from a lap top.

Considering sequential injection ( total of 12 injectors) with 2nd 6 coming in for above 75% throttle with methanol/oil mix for high RPM engine cooling and lubrication. Each exhaust port/pipe fitted with EGT and air/fuel ratio monitors to try and keep the rods in one piece.

After the test run, we fit the supercharger to run at 12 to 15 psi. SC powered by turbine powered 2000psi nitrogen gas so not to have any parasetic power loss.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with prior knowledge of any of these concepts or "Add Ons"

Peter
Sounds awesome... Wouldn't an XR2 power head be better? 10 a penny, relitavely cheap an can be tuned To within an inch of their lives! I believe a guy local to myself used to run a Mercury 2L F1 engine running on av gas an saw close to 300hp (I believe) so If you were fitting a charger aswell the potential could be huge. I also believe they could be quite a bit lighter than a 300 X/XS?
I may be wrong on ALL of the above points an it may not fit your criteria what do ever... But just a thought
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #7

Interests: ski racing
Boat name: Jack'd up, hellraiser
Boat make: Bernico 19 ET, ring 16
Engines: merc 135, merc 175, yam 90
Cruising area: Plymouth

Also believe putting 280/260's in dune buggys in the states is quite common too...
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #8

Boat make: Phantom 23

Send a message via MSN to RossM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillclimber View Post

300xs is a heavy and slower version of the 300x , it has different porting and is direct injection...suited for economy not performance due to parasitic losses caused by high injector rail pressures required.
The 300xs is a 3.2l engine which is basically the normal 3.0's just with a stroked crank which is to make up for the extra parasitic loss

All 3.0 and 3.2 l motors have a cast exhaust chest so I'd recommend 2.5 or 2.0l motor as they have removable exhaust chest covers (if your set on expansion chambers)

The outboard 2 strokes in question have no exhaust manifold as such just a collection chamber in the back of the block which would be a real challenge to fix headers/expansion chambers to.

Forced induction on 2 strokes isn't very successful as most of the charge tends to be pushed straight out the exhaust ports which remain open after the inlet ports are closed off.

Imo best option would be an 2 5l mercury f1 motor which will be the easy to get hold off, the lightest and also produce the most power. .. around 400!
Leave the exhaust chest standard, obviously there's more power to be had with correctly sized expansion chambers but I dont think the extra work involved would justify the gains.
RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
Captain slow

Boat name: terminal velocity no.120
Boat make: phantom20
Engines: 2.5efi smillin jack
Cruising area: solent

U rebuilt yours yet Ross big M? Coz ur gonna get whooped lol!!
andymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #10

Interests: everything fast
Boat make: Phantom 28/phantom 18
Engines: 2x Mercury 3.0 225 optimax/yamaha 85
Cruising area: Solent

Yeah get a move on and build that engine Ross! You'll have your dad and andy zooming past ya!!
Old 25-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #11

Boat make: Phantom 23

Send a message via MSN to RossM
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver510 View Post
Yeah get a move on and build that engine Ross! You'll have your dad and andy zooming past ya!!
All green lights! Engines being built as we speak!

You just wait uncle Annd.. I'll teach you a lesson or two in powerboating
RossM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
Captain slow

Boat name: terminal velocity no.120
Boat make: phantom20
Engines: 2.5efi smillin jack
Cruising area: solent

Rich, Ross bigM will have a bus pass by the time Steve gets that going
andymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #13

Thanks to all who gave help/opinions.

Just got a Promax 300X so lets see how it performs in a racecar!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #14

Got let down by a seller with a "300X" which turned out to be nothing like the correct motor.

So anyone got a "Real" 300X for sale?. Only need the power head, even one that has some damage since I have to do a lot of work on it, i.e. cut off the exhaust chamber to fit 6 seperate exhausts etc.etc. relocate injectors

Anything considered.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #15

Boat make: 21ft
Engines: Various
Cruising area: Solent / Kent / Cornwall

Out of interest, how do you deal with the cooling system on these projects?

beyondhelp is offline   Reply With Quote