Boatmad.com

Old 02-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #1

cougar 27 P1 boat !!!

Hey boat guys from all corners of the world.

Need some help finding a 27' cougar hull.
Preferably without a motor because I already have 2 x merc300x motors.

Also anyone with speed info on a 27 with a 300x or xs. I know they have added in the 300 class recently. But i never get speeds from the races.

Thanks a lot.

bermy boatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermy boatr View Post

Also anyone with speed info on a 27 with a 300x or xs. I know they have added in the 300 class recently. But i never get speeds from the races.

Thanks a lot.
Hi, there is some discussion on it here

http://www.boatmad.com/forum/showthr...ght=cougar+225

Paul C wrote

"Totally agree a very under rated hull. I will go so far to say that there is nothing out there that will come close to competing with this hull in rough conditions accept something a lot bigger and heavier! Make no mistake this hull comes with a health warning. It is an extremely technical boat to handle and rewards those who get it right and punishes those who get it wrong. Marmite springs to mind..! you will love it or hate it."

"Don't think he will be up grading just yet - The Cougar spat him out last week whilst testing a new prop! Thinks it was his own fault but can't be 100% sure as he was found unconcious by a couple of fisherman. His navigator was okay but he suffered bad leg injuries. The boat is up and running and suffered minimal damage."

They have a habit of rolling more than any other race boat, it would appear with a 300hp they just do it quicker. I believe there are several reasons for this.

They are very long and narrow 27' long x 6' wide

The top and sides are balsa sandwich and bottom single skin, I believe this makes them top heavy.

Once they get to a certain point they topple over, this may be partially due to the design of the rear.

With an outboard motor this makes them even more top heavy as the weight of the power head is above the deck height.

I have used a inboard diesel in mine and and mounted everything as low as possible, so far seems really stable but time will tell, but I'm not racing mine.

PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #3

Good info. Thanks.
I need help finding a hull also. Who can you direct me to ?
bermy boatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #4

Interests: Race cars,Boats,Helicopters
Boat name: The Last One
Boat make: DS 48
Engines: 2x 560 FPT
Cruising area: Southampton

For sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermy boatr View Post

Thanks a lot.
Hi I have a cougar 27 for sale with out engine need rigging in good order with seats fuel tank.
thanks
dean
6969nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:16 PM   #5

Interests: Powerboating, Squash, Running, Horseracing
Boat name: FAT BOY
Boat make: Cougar 27'
Engines: EVINRUDE G2 300
Cruising area: Orwell, Harwich, East Coast

Send a message via AIM to Childsy
Cougar 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6969nobby View Post
Hi I have a cougar 27 for sale with out engine need rigging in good order with seats fuel tank.
thanks
dean
Hi Dean,
Just out of interest which boat do you have, (race history & team etc)...?

Cheers
Mark
Childsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:21 PM   #6

Interests: Boats, kids and looking after the Wife HaHa
Boat name: Shamu
Boat make: Banana Shark 770
Engines: Mercury XS300
Cruising area: Solent

Cougar 27

Freddie do you think the other reason they roll over is because they originally had wings on that hull??? Wasn't there a rib with that hull before these were made as well??

My friend Darren Hook owned the English Hertage Buildings one, that rolled lol

But I do seem to remember him complaining over the build quality as well.

I was told with a 300xs they went to 80mph and the reason they were dropped was two fold.

1 they were dangerous!!

2 lack or advertising space. You may notice on the P1 panthers the boxiee rear end, but this gives lots of side advertising space!!!
Banana Shark Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Shark Dave View Post
Freddie do you think the other reason they roll over is because they originally had wings on that hull??? Wasn't there a rib with that hull before these were made as well??

My friend Darren Hook owned the English Hertage Buildings one, that rolled lol

But I do seem to remember him complaining over the build quality as well.

I was told with a 300xs they went to 80mph and the reason they were dropped was two fold.

1 they were dangerous!!

2 lack or advertising space. You may notice on the P1 panthers the boxiee rear end, but this gives lots of side advertising space!!!
I believe they were designed from scratch as they were produced, I'm not aware of them ever being built with wings. However saying that there is one being raced in Italy with side wing but I have no idea why (see below).

I was told that the Cougar R8 RIB used the same hull.

The design and build quality in my opinion based on my boat was excellent. They did suffer from spray rail delamination and a few transom failures. The spray rails delamination I have been told was partly due to the fact that they were a single skinned bottom and prone to flex, however I think a lot of it was caused by contact damage with other race boats. You only have to look back at the video footage and most were driven as if it was a demolition derby, so much for a non contact sport. As for transoms the problems were two fold, the Honda BF225 engine was a very heavy engine at 273Kg and the shock loads on the transom must have been enormous, IMHO it wasn't really and ideal engine for a race boat. Secondly some transoms broke as mine did due to engine saddle failure.

In fairness to Cougar, my boat was built in 2004 and raced untill 2009. I can't remember whether it was 8 or 10 races per season but that's a hell of a lot of punishment for a race boat. Most race boats suffer from damage throughout their life if the truth be know.

Considering the above I would say structurally my boat was in good condition when I bought it and it had had a very hard life. The only problems with mine was spray rail delamination, front and rear. This I am told at the front was from from hitting a channel marker buoy in Scotland (which I have photo's of) and the rear from when the engine hit the underneath when the saddle failed, both had been repaired but failed again.

The reason they failed a second time was that the Cougar 27 as built using vinyl ester resin, the repairs had been carried out using polyester resin. Nothing sticks to vinyl ester other than epoxy, in fact the inside of the hull had some bracing near the damage, I levered it up with a screwdriver and it popped out like it was a non stick pan. Needless to say I redid all the repairs with epoxy and new bracing, it shouldn't be a further problem.

In 2009 at the begging of the recession Honda pulled out of all motor sport, leaving them without an engine sponsor. Mercury stepped in in 2010 with the XS300. This was a much lighter engine and with the extra power they reached speed in excess of 80mph. On the one hand I am told it improved the handling but on the other they were very fast and quite technical to handle. In Paul C's own words "they punished those who got it wrong"

IMHO they should have been fitted with the XS200 being much lighter they would have handled better and maintained the same speed, keeping them safer. I was told that the ultimate demise was politics of the organisers.

I was also told that the reason the Cougar 27 was so strong and light was because it was built using vinyl ester (almost as strong as epoxy) and Aramat fibers (a mixture of Kevlar and glass fibers). It also used foam cores and balsa laminated sides and deck.

It was a very technical, labor intensive and costly boat to produce. This was also caused by the technique that was used to join the top to the bottom giving a seamless join.

I was also told that the vinyl ester was and American system and quite expensive. In 2004 when they were originally produced the $ was 2 to the £, in 2009 at the begging of the recession the $ was 1.5 to the £ making it even more expensive. Taking all the above into account it made them just too expensive to produce in the UK, and they were replaced by the American Panther P1.

At that point most appeared on the market in a relatively short space of time as there was now no race series for them, and they were quite cheep to buy. However as most seem to have gone abroad now and been adapted to other race series, and are now quite scarce.

It's quite sad really as if it had been developed further may be with and inboard for low C of G, it would have probably been the best race boat ever produced for its size. Because of the build cost it unlikely unless someone has very deep pockets that any more will ever be produced.

One of the problems with them now is that the fuel tanks had a design life of 5 years, however according to the manufacture so may last 7 years but that's it they crack and leak. I was quoted £2500 for a replacement so I went over to aluminum. The problem with this is that as the originals were flexible, it is impossible to replace them in the same shape as you cant get them in the trough the foot well or the hatch. In my case this wasn't a problem as i enlarged the foot well into a cabin doorway.

They were deigned as a sports racer and still make an excellent sports boat.

Just out of curiosity does any one know what happened to the molds and who owns the rights to now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	943135_532996146764310_168360585_n.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	42850  
Old 12-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #8

Interests: Race cars,Boats,Helicopters
Boat name: The Last One
Boat make: DS 48
Engines: 2x 560 FPT
Cruising area: Southampton

Quote:
thanks
dean
Hi

One was built for jenson button in2009 p1 owned it on good condition just need scrub up will look great.

The one you have was my mates.
6969nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi

One was built for jenson button in2009 p1 owned it on good condition just need scrub up will look great.

The one you have was my mates.
This one, photographed at Cougar 2009. 2010 was raced by Fuel Girls in different colors. Had different internal structure and larger deck access hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image005.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	42863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image002.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	42864