Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 14-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #81

Interests: Boats, kids and looking after the Wife HaHa
Boat name: Shamu
Boat make: Banana Shark 770
Engines: Mercury XS300
Cruising area: Solent

Come and have ago!!!

Firstly My 3.0l & 3.2l Optimax lightened Flywheels are between 2-3kg lighter than anyone else currently selling Stock FW's that have been lightened. My lightest Optimax FW is 4516grams approx 1/2 the stock weight. Simonsmotorsports are over 2kg heavier than this!!!

So if you have tested one before and you got quicker acceleration but no extra Topspeed, this is part of the reason.

Also your prop must be slightly over pitched in order to gain speed. If your prop All ready hits the limiter, the only thing that will happen is you will hit the limiter faster, but your top speed will not change!!!

You will be far faster in the rough, because every time you bury your prop it revs up faster. So after every jump and you lose revs, it's back on the money super quick!!!

I have done hrs and hrs of testing with lots of different props, every single one that didn't hit the limiter with a stock FW now revs higher fact!!!! I have better things to do than make this up!!!

Previous Customers have told you that it works, there not liars!!! I have sold lots of these now and not one person has complained and most have come back and bought a lightened 4 blade prop to suit.
If they didn't do as I claimed, would they not all be on here moaning????

Sam above has told you that it works, if him and his Dad don't know, then know one does!!!!
I have offered Beyond Help a all expenses paid opportunity to come and test and see for himself.
I have offered anyone that has previously commented on this thread to come and test.
I have offered a 28 day money back deal on Optimax Lightened FW's

These are not the actions of someone who is wrong!!!!!!!

Old 15-10-2014, 02:09 AM   #82
2jz

Most of you replied to this thread on 3.0l 3.2l optimax flywheel with scientific theories and your own experiences with lightened flywheels that give no top end speed or more horsepower. Some with what seem to be only text book knowledge of engines and no real world experience with high performance engines fundamental of making more power or that little edge tuning over the competition.

Dave has went against common theory and made this work for him with the test results been better holeshot,quicker engine responce,and top end speed gain.
"OPINION IS NOTHING WITHOUT PROOF" BeyondHelp

IF YOU DONT GET IT BY NOW WHY ALL THIS IS POSSIBLE WITH DAVE I SUGGEST YOU GO BUY YOURSELF A MERCURY 3.0 3.2 OPTIMAX. IF YOU CANT RUN WITH US JOIN US. MERCURY OPTIMAX THE MOST FUEL EFFICIENT OUTBOARD ON THE MARKET.

maz928
I've met many 2 stroke engine turning over the years and the very BEST of them had one thing in common they always kept an open mind to engine tuning and tried many things which went against common theory's on engine tuning many of which didn't work but every now and again came across something that worked.
OPEN MINDED PEOPLE NEVER STOP LEARNING

2jz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #83

They aren't "theories" though. There's simply no way that an engine that works properly gains power using a lightened flywheel. There's no other way for an engine to increase the top speed of a boat.

There are certain rules that you can follow with engines that absolutely hold true regardless of how open your mind is. A flywheel being a store of kinetic energy is one of these rules. They don't waste or consume power.

There are many tuning products available for cars and boats that people believe work, when it's absolutely clear they don't. I've seen plenty of times where people will say that they have better acceleration or increased top speed and when actually tested rigorously, it turns out not to be true.
cybergibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 07:59 AM   #84

Interests: water sports
Boat make: P18,Focker(this focker wasnt a Messerschmitt) 215, Concord, Bristol
Engines: Suzuki DF 140, Yamaha 130 race, Mariner 135
Cruising area: Teignmouth

I could well have dreamt this as I know very little about engines but when Mercury tuned their stock 150 HP to creat the XR2 wasn't a lightened fly wheel one of the mods?
mdm1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #85

Interests: Heavy Heavy Metal
Boat name: Slayer II, Slayer, Pen15
Boat make: Phantom 19G-R, Bernico F2 Extreme, Ring 15
Engines: Evinrude 115HO, Yam 90
Cruising area: Channel Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm1uk View Post
I could well have dreamt this as I know very little about engines but when Mercury tuned their stock 150 HP to creat the XR2 wasn't a lightened fly wheel one of the mods?
Yes, but not to create more power.
Paul E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #86

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

Ok, it can not produce more horse power what would be going on is that making the motor rev up easier means the couple of hp it takes to spin up a heavier flywheel can now be used at the prop.

So you have the same situation of hp at the crank or hp at the prop.

I believe this was a situation manufactures had discrepances in years ago. I think it may be yamaha and johnson? The principle that the 140 motor only produced it at the crank and when on a marine propshaft dyno only produced 130 or so. The difference is the power loss through the drive train.

I stand to be corrected on this regarding the brand info.
Old 15-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #87

The difference is negligable, as pro rig says put it on a dyno to see the hp. OCR racers used lighter flywheels for snappy acceleration but that was in conjunction with other things via set up. On its own not much.
Old 15-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #88
2jz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
Ok, it can not produce more horse power what would be going on is that making the motor rev up easier means the couple of hp it takes to spin up a heavier flywheel can now be used at the prop.

So you have the same situation of hp at the crank or hp at the prop.

I believe this was a situation manufactures had discrepances in years ago. I think it may be yamaha and johnson? The principle that the 140 motor only produced it at the crank and when on a marine propshaft dyno only produced 130 or so. The difference is the power loss through the drive train.

I stand to be corrected on this regarding the brand info.
This is so true and why HP is gained at the prop with lightened flywheel. Example 140hp motor makes only 130hp at the prop with 20 lbs flywheel that robs motor of 5hp to keep in motion. If you added 10 lbs lightened flywheel that needs 2.5hp to keep in motion that 2.5hp that is not used is returned to the prop making HP output 132.5hp.
2jz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jz View Post
This is so true and why HP is gained at the prop with lightened flywheel. Example 140hp motor makes only 130hp at the prop with 20 lbs flywheel that robs motor of 5hp to keep in motion. If you added 10 lbs lightened flywheel that needs 2.5hp to keep in motion that 2.5hp that is not used is returned to the prop making HP output 132.5hp.
racefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #90

Things that don't Work and things that may work!!!!

Not everything works, I have tried all sorts in the pursuit of more speed.

I have a long list of Failures and I'm not scared of them, below is two examples one of a recent failure and one that's in progress.

My 3litre pony diving cylinder filled with enriched air Nitrox at 60% (deco gas),

This spent 2 days in the deep freeze and I chopped off the reg to allow low pressure air to flow constantly rather than on demand. This was fed directly into the cowling.

Results were the engine felt like a motorbike engine on a really cold spring morning, just a little bit more energetic. However there was no increase in top speed and due to the cylinder running out before I got to my acceleration test ground, I have no times.

Upshot, pretty much a waste of time!!!

Work in Progress.

Propeller Exhaust Tube Nozzle

Basically I am reusing the High 5 prop that I did the exhaust tube shortening tests on in 2.5mm increments to total failure. Leaving approx 10mm of exhaust tube on what started as 70mm long. This as you can imagine took many, many hrs of testing and maching. However I have learnt a great deal.

I have shortened the vanes that join the inner and outer hub, to allow me to fit my carefully adapted steel funnel and tack into position. The funnel facing backwards with the tube shortened and leaving a hole just big enough to push a machined narrower socket to tighten the prop nut.

In effect I will have closed the prop off so the exhaust gases can only escape through the nozzle. Not unlike the jet engines on some passenger airplanes.

Goal;
I am hoping to be able to totally remove the very heavy Exhaust tube on Bravo 1's, High 5's and Rev4's. I am hoping this will force the gases out faster by constricting the exit, a bit like squeezing the end of a hose to squirt water further. This should stop the gases from aerating the blades. Also to get some directional thrust and steering from the gases possibly allowing faster cornering or may be the skeg to be made smaller and reducing drag.

Anyway I'm leaving you lot to Squabble over the Lightened FW's, I have far more useless things to be getting on with HaHa ;-)
Old 15-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #91

2JZ...

Not quite sure thats right but thats by the by.

Actually its torque that is in question. I used hp to try and put it i lay terms. If we really want get in to the science of kinetic energy, inertia and rotational mass i feel many may get a nose bleed

Anyway, sorry to pipe up.
Old 15-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #92

Boat make: 21ft
Engines: Various
Cruising area: Solent / Kent / Cornwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Shark Dave View Post
I am hoping this will force the gases out faster by constricting the exit, a bit like squeezing the end of a hose to squirt water further. This should stop the gases from aerating the blades. Also to get some directional thrust and steering from the gases possibly allowing faster cornering or may be the skeg to be made smaller and reducing drag.
I'm not usually one to say something like this, but please, please stop. I don't think I can take any more!

beyondhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #93

Propeller Nozzle

Beyond Help

The amount of Exhaust gases that come out of a 3.2l v6 engine being forced out of a nozzle 36mm wide are considerable!!!!

Just seeing the effects on tick over and revving upto 2000rpm (guardian won't allow it to Rev higher) is amazing!!!!!
Old 15-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #94

Interesting thread. Some good info and some downright kooky but that's the joy of a forum.
Techteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #95
Speed freak

Interests: Cars, Boats, MC etc, anything with a motor
Boat make: Gilbert 21
Engines: 300XS
Cruising area: Oyeren, Oslofjorden

Hi all, I am no engine tuner or expert like many of you probably are, but I cant stop wondering if you are missing the point in the speed increase like Dave have found out?

He has always said, with and OVERpitched propeller, you will gain top speed.

That means that the engine wont ever come up to max rpm since the propeller is to big and hence the engine cant rev out to max.

Its like adding a gear or two on a car that could barely max out whatever high gear it already had before.

Is it then possible some of theese rpm's could be gained back with a lighter fw, since the motor is now working lighter, accelrating faster and could gain some top rpm's?
WargtaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techteam View Post
Interesting thread. Some good info and some downright kooky but that's the joy of a forum.
What the yanks call "snake oil"
racefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #97

Quote:
No, no, no.

Please stop. Your understanding of power, energy, force and momentum is just not good enough.
Old 16-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondhelp View Post
I'm not usually one to say something like this, but please, please stop. I don't think I can take any more!

Am I reading this right? Using the exhaust gases for propulsion?
Old 16-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #99

Interests: Heavy Heavy Metal
Boat name: Slayer II, Slayer, Pen15
Boat make: Phantom 19G-R, Bernico F2 Extreme, Ring 15
Engines: Evinrude 115HO, Yam 90
Cruising area: Channel Islands

Quote:
What industry do you work in again, and what exactly do you do?
Paul E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #100

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel