Boatmad.com

Old 28-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #1
CRB

Phantom 21

Previously listed and owned by board members so some will already know this 21.

For those that don't.

A genuine 21 in original gel sitting on two wheel trailer and fitted with a Yamaha 225.

Fitted out as a ski-boat it's fully carpeted with a locker space in floor and side boards for stowing skis, boards etc.

Quick specification:

Aluminium stern fuel tank with water separating fuel filter, battery and isolator, Seastar hydraulic steering with pro trim control and Sparco steering wheel on quick release boss, Bilge pump, nav lights, Fusion Ipod stereo, cockpit lights, ski pole, manual jack plate (Bob's I think), stainless steel propeller and overall cover.

Genuine condition for age and used regularly it's a fast safe fun boat that has brought many smiles during a short ownership.

It was bought to fill a gap when another boat project stalled and we had a family holiday coming up. Now for sale as our original project is back underway. Currently lying in Cornwall and please PM for more information

£4750 ono

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4304.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	46606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4212.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	46607   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8574.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	46608   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8240326.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	46609  

CRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #2

Interests: racing(middle east class 3 6l)
Boat name: still no worries
Boat make: phantom18
Engines: 2.5 efi
Cruising area: salcombe

Hi
Where in Cornwall is it ?
Derek

still no worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 12:17 AM   #3

Interests: Boating jet ski and Scuba diving
Boat name: Insane
Boat make: Phantom 21 1990
Engines: Evinrude 250 HO
Cruising area: Isle of Sheppey

If intrested i owned this boat until Jan this year, had 70mph on the gps with a trophy 24. Realy nice boat and regreat selling it , cheap at £4750, paid 8k 3years ago and then fitted radio,trim tabs,new tank, new fuel filter, micro cleaned the carbs. Hand good compression. and run like a dream.

good luck to the new owner..
Purple 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #4
CRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple 21 View Post
If intrested i owned this boat until Jan this year, had 70mph on the gps with a trophy 24. Realy nice boat and regreat selling it , cheap at £4750, paid 8k 3years ago and then fitted radio,trim tabs,new tank, new fuel filter, micro cleaned the carbs. Hand good compression. and run like a dream.

good luck to the new owner..
Thank you for the information / endorsement of the 21.
I haven't listed the trim tabs in the specification as they are not working at present (haven't since we bought it).
These are currently being investigated and a replacement relay module has been ordered which will hopefully resolve the issue.

It's a genuine example which has brought a lot of enjoyment and would be a fun rig to keep but we're trying to be practical at the moment (which is no fun)
Old 04-10-2016, 09:18 PM   #5
CRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRB View Post
Thank you for the information / endorsement of the 21.
I haven't listed the trim tabs in the specification as they are not working at present (haven't since we bought it).
These are currently being investigated and a replacement relay module has been ordered which will hopefully resolve the issue.
Trim tab relay module replaced and tabs operational.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #6

My old boat, had 69.5 on gps and boat hamdled beautifully, would buy it back if i had the spare cash!
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
CRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
My old boat, had 69.5 on gps and boat hamdled beautifully, would buy it back if i had the spare cash!
Thank you Scott. I think I know when you got high speed out of it (see picture)

We didn't tow the ringos quite as fast but we did have a lot of fun
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	46675  
Old 13-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #8
CRB

Not as fast as Scotty!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	151
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	46677  
Old 13-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #9
CRB

Cover

Apologies for multiple posts but for some reason I can only upload one image at a time
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	232
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	46678  
Old 23-10-2016, 06:27 PM   #10

Haha 67.3 that day... full tank of fuel.

So much fun that boat!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160523_194729.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	46703  
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #11
CRB

Yamaha 225

Engine for sale separately

Not the latest hpdi or vmax but a relatively simple, straightforward and proven motor that pulls strongly and revs to 5000-5500 with current setup.
Ecu model so well mannered at idle
It has oil injection fitted and working.
Again some may know or have worked on this motor so may know more of its history but for us it's performed flawlessly.

Not quite as pretty as it once was and like the former Mrs Trumps it getting exchanged for a younger model

Complete with :

Seastar helm, hoses and cylinder
Oil tank
Side mount control
Throttle and shift cables
Yamaha stainless propeller (black painted) 19p?
Quicksilver Laser II 25p prop
Battery cables
Bobs machine shop jack plate
Gauges
Harnesses etc
Mounting bolts

Please pm for further information

£2000 ono
Old 14-11-2016, 07:31 PM   #12
CRB

225 aetol

Engine pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4996.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	46780   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4998.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	46781   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4999.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	46782  
Old 30-11-2016, 07:17 PM   #13

Boat name: P21
Boat make: P21
Cruising area: Solent

Can. Ask what engine you are putting on? I am amazed no one bought it , it's was so cheap! I have a P21 Mark 2 with a 250 HO Evinrude. Can't imagine ever selling it.
Fantom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #14
CRB

Repower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom2 View Post
Can. Ask what engine you are putting on? I am amazed no one bought it , it's was so cheap! I have a P21 Mark 2 with a 250 HO Evinrude. Can't imagine ever selling it.
Thanks for the note on the 21 / motor.

We have another boat which was delayed last year so we bought the 21 (my fourth) which we enjoyed very much. Sadly we don't need two boats so being practical the 21 should really be sold and enjoyed by someone with the time to make it theirs.

We've spoken with several people about this boat. Some on this forum who have gone on to buy other boats listed here as they would better suit their requirements. I'm sure someone will enjoy it and if not then we're happy to keep it as we like the boat very much but don't have the time to run or work on both. I always feel engines especially older motors like our 225 are better kept running and working than sitting around even when winterised so we thought we could split the rig and refurbish the 21 in a couple of years.

In answer to your question on the re-power we don't know yet. As you will know the 21 runs really well with many combinations of motor. For us the 21 makes a good fast coastal cruising boat with plenty of freeboard and warmer to use in the autumn / winter as you're sat down behind the dash. The modern Di motors make it very economical at fast cruising 40-50mph with good top end. There are plenty of people on this forum who have campaigned the 21 in various guises from super light high power singles to twin engined heavier boats so there's a wealth of knowledge when the time comes to pick power.

I think the rate of development of the latest generation of motors is quite exciting and who knows in a couple of years there may some used Verado 400R or even the ROS about which could be a very interesting rig to play with. Plenty of power, economical (at cruising), less drag, quite sociable, inline 6 is revvy and smooth and would be fun to set up but the reality is if we keep the hull we'll sort out the bits (trailer, interior and overall tidying up) ready for whatever is available when the time comes.

Thanks again for the note and a final thought...

How about the new high hp diesel outboards or electric?
Old 01-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #15

Boat name: A Team
Boat make: Phantom 21
Engines: Mercury Opti 225
Cruising area: Salcombe/Portsmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRB View Post
Thanks for the note on the 21 / motor.

We have another boat which was delayed last year so we bought the 21 (my fourth) which we enjoyed very much. Sadly we don't need two boats so being practical the 21 should really be sold and enjoyed by someone with the time to make it theirs.

We've spoken with several people about this boat. Some on this forum who have gone on to buy other boats listed here as they would better suit their requirements. I'm sure someone will enjoy it and if not then we're happy to keep it as we like the boat very much but don't have the time to run or work on both. I always feel engines especially older motors like our 225 are better kept running and working than sitting around even when winterised so we thought we could split the rig and refurbish the 21 in a couple of years.

In answer to your question on the re-power we don't know yet. As you will know the 21 runs really well with many combinations of motor. For us the 21 makes a good fast coastal cruising boat with plenty of freeboard and warmer to use in the autumn / winter as you're sat down behind the dash. The modern Di motors make it very economical at fast cruising 40-50mph with good top end. There are plenty of people on this forum who have campaigned the 21 in various guises from super light high power singles to twin engined heavier boats so there's a wealth of knowledge when the time comes to pick power.

I think the rate of development of the latest generation of motors is quite exciting and who knows in a couple of years there may some used Verado 400R or even the ROS about which could be a very interesting rig to play with. Plenty of power, economical (at cruising), less drag, quite sociable, inline 6 is revvy and smooth and would be fun to set up but the reality is if we keep the hull we'll sort out the bits (trailer, interior and overall tidying up) ready for whatever is available when the time comes.

Thanks again for the note and a final thought...

How about the new high hp diesel outboards or electric?

I hear the new 2 stroke Evinrudes are pretty good!
will_p21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #16

Boat name: P21
Boat make: P21
Cruising area: Solent

Hi, I don't have black blood in my veins and am happy to run whatever works lol. The ETEC 250 HO is rated at 280 plus at the prop. Being 3.4 litres it's not stressed, sounds amazing and has ridiculous torque. I can't seem to be able to run four blade props as they seem to cause so much twist. I'm running the lightning gearbox which has a lower gearing than most which means I don't have to run rare high pitch props. I have a 24 pitch Raker 1 which seems to be brilliant. I've had 73 ish on the GPS but haven't had the right conditions to nail it with this prop. My boat is a leisure boat, all original pretty much how it came out of the factory in 1982. I'm not going to chip away at the weight for a few mph. A true 70 plus mph is fine for me. Glad to hear your going to try and keep yours. They are rare and will be sought after!
Fantom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:39 PM   #17

Boat name: Liquidation, liquid asset
Boat make: Benetau flyer / bayliner 4.3
Engines: 4.3 v6 inboard

Pm sent
liquidation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:48 PM   #18
CRB

21 etec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom2 View Post
Hi, I don't have black blood in my veins and am happy to run whatever works lol. The ETEC 250 HO is rated at 280 plus at the prop. Being 3.4 litres it's not stressed, sounds amazing and has ridiculous torque. I can't seem to be able to run four blade props as they seem to cause so much twist. I'm running the lightning gearbox which has a lower gearing than most which means I don't have to run rare high pitch props. I have a 24 pitch Raker 1 which seems to be brilliant. I've had 73 ish on the GPS but haven't had the right conditions to nail it with this prop. My boat is a leisure boat, all original pretty much how it came out of the factory in 1982. I'm not going to chip away at the weight for a few mph. A true 70 plus mph is fine for me. Glad to hear your going to try and keep yours. They are rare and will be sought after!
Thanks Fantom2 & Will_P21for the notes re motors.

BRP Ficht - ETEC - G2 (I think they call the latest) are all contenders as is the 300xs - Vmax but it's a way off yet due to other commitments .

Newer technologies mean the 200+ hp even 300+ can be surprisingly good on fuel when cruising at lowish rpm on a light hull (or at least I have found them to be) compared with motors around at the time when the 21 came out. The Yam isn't bad on fuel for the quick blast down the coast and back 15 - 20 mins each way but a modern Di when pushed will still get through a drop of fuel at WOT.

Selling the Yam isn't driven out of the search for economy at the moment it's just easier to mothball the 21 without motor and rigging. The Yam 225 will give someone a biggish motor for not a lot of money if they want to play with set up, a cheap rig or just don't want to make big investment into a motor for occasional use.

There's already a wealth of information in the forums on the 21 / motor and many people here who know the set-up intimately so if/when the time comes to re-power I know where my first port of call will be.

Thanks for the motor comments and it'd be great to chat about 21 engine combo but that's probably for one of the other forum topics rather than a marketplace / selling one.

The boat is still fully rigged as we picked it up and have been running it. Last run last week. Happy to sell complete or motor only.

Any questions on the rig or motor just pm me and I'll do my best to reply promptly.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:12 AM   #19
Speed freak

Interests: Cars, Boats, MC etc, anything with a motor
Boat make: Gilbert 21
Engines: 300XS
Cruising area: Oyeren, Oslofjorden

Hi, so boat not available without motor? What would be the price in that case?
Just curious..
WargtaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:44 AM   #20
CRB

Phantom 21 for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by WargtaSS View Post
Hi, so boat not available without motor? What would be the price in that case?
Just curious..
Thanks for the post.

Prefer to sell rig complete in the first instance. £4750 as advertised

If no takers for the complete rig then I would prefer to sell the motor. £2000 with steering etc (see above)

Hull not available separately

The Yam is running nicely (see Purple21 post) Regular use is keeping fresh fuel through the system and everything turning / lubricated. Prefer to keep it this way rather than let it sit for a year or more (even if winterised)

If the motor sells I'm happy to keep the hull for now. I like the 21 but if at a later date I decide otherwise then BM will be where I advertise it.

There are a couple of others on here and recently there was a very tidy white 21 ready for a Merc with SeaStar that may still be available if you're looking for a bare boat ready for power.

Thanks again