Hunton/ilmor Build

The Illmor's Have Landed

Hi All,
Spent most of today unpackaging engines & drives and i have to say the presentation & the quality of engineering is superb if they perform as good as they look they will be an awsome lightweight package.

TIMTAP: Nice pictures, you never know when someone is pointing a camera at you!!!:devilish:

TOMLINLEY: Thanks for the offer Tom but i think i may be too busy BOAT BUILDING!!, maybe later in the season when Carbon Cheetah hits the water.:hugegrin:

CFUN: I think you would die of embarrassment if you did something so stupid or did he think it was a concrete run off area as it was so smooth & light in colour??

Regards Peter

Attachments

• DSCF0037.jpg
    DSCF0037.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 455
  • DSCF0039.jpg
    DSCF0039.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 496
  • DSCF0043.jpg
    DSCF0043.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 449
  • DSCF0046.jpg
    DSCF0046.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 508
  • DSCF0047.jpg
    DSCF0047.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 695
  • DSCF0048.jpg
    DSCF0048.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 467
  • DSCF0050.jpg
    DSCF0050.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 572
  • DSCF0051.jpg
    DSCF0051.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 453
Any shots of the rear of th engine showing the transmission?

How does the rear of the engine get supported?

The input from the transmission goes into the drive, rather reversed from how a Mercury does it.

Hunton Illmor

Any shots of the rear of th engine showing the transmission?

How does the rear of the engine get supported?

The input from the transmission goes into the drive, rather reversed from how a Mercury does it.

Hi Boatless-Again,
Yes you are correct the drive shafts do load from the engine bay,the starboard engine mounts via a lug on the transom shield two lugs on the transmission and a cross pin. Front engine mount is solid to engine bearers. Port engine is solid mount front and rear. Connected to transom shield by carbon fibre drive shaft.
Peter

Attachments

• DSCF0064.jpg
    DSCF0064.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 419
  • DSCF0065.jpg
    DSCF0065.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 400
  • DSCF0066.jpg
    DSCF0066.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 346
  • DSCF0067.jpg
    DSCF0067.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 364
  • DSCF0068.jpg
    DSCF0068.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 363
  • DSCF0069.jpg
    DSCF0069.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 377
Hi Boatless-Again,
Yes you are correct the drive shafts do load from the engine bay,the starboard engine mounts via a lug on the transom shield two lugs on the transmission and a cross pin. Front engine mount is solid to engine bearers. Port engine is solid mount front and rear. Connected to transom shield by carbon fibre drive shaft.
Peter

Good Morning,
The light is much better this morning!!! it would appear one can't spell so well after a couple of glasses of vino!! & it was getting late oh excuses excuses... just to apologise for the spelling error of TRANSOMS & DRIVE SHAFT don't know what a draft shaft is? as my old form teacher used to say "I MUST TRY HARDER" fortunately for me i made a much better engineer than a scholar.
Peter

That must've been like every Christmas of your life rolled into one :hugegrin:

That must've been like every Christmas of your life rolled into one :hugegrin:

Hi PAUL E
Yes you could say that!!!!!!:hugegrin: Next week i will mark out transom & cut out holes for transom shields maybe have a dry fit of transom shields,it all depends on how much proper work i have to do i.e. earning a living.Will post progress pictures.
When she is finished we will have to come over to the channel isands & buy some of your cheap fuel...:)
Peter

Do it! 1450hp flying up the river behind Herm would be a sight to behold...

Hi PAUL E
Yes you could say that!!!!!!:hugegrin: Next week i will mark out transom & cut out holes for transom shields maybe have a dry fit of transom shields,it all depends on how much proper work i have to do i.e. earning a living.Will post progress pictures.
When she is finished we will have to come over to the channel isands & buy some of your cheap fuel...:)
Peter

...............................:up:

Those R500's are amazing, I took one to Spa and had a great time. Great power sliding run but then great handling when you want to be faster than just messing around.

I may be signing to Barwell motorsport, which is owned by Paul Lemmer's nephew, hopefully to run the an Aston in the UK GT Series in 2 years time (2011) I will be testing in Jan, and will have silverstone closed to us for the day, if you both want to come and bring your cars for a bit of fun after we are done and i will bring out the Britcar to challenge you guys...

Test drove a Nissan GTR today, to replace my current car for the road. Was very impressed...

Me thinks I can smell something funny.......

Attachments

• BullShit.jpg
    BullShit.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 273
im not going to start feuling that tony.

Peter anytime, woul dbe great to have run with some powerboaters. We have testing at Brands on the 16th of December and then mid Jan and then again in late Feb.

The Focus for Dunlop Sports Max is road registered as its almost a standard car with a role cage and some light tuning, therefore any other testing can be done on the rolling road and open roads before race meetings, with out having the expense of having to bring the truck to a track etc....

I will Pm you in the new year when we are around, if it suits you then please come. usually with sports maxx we break it up so the format for next year will be an open track day on the friday, with then Qualifing on saterday wiht then 2 races on the sunday with radicals and mini's running in between races. so the friday is free. If you have a national A and you want to do a race, then PM me.

Good luck with your project...

sorry when i say friday is free... i mean friday is used as an open track day and test day so you are more than welcome to bring your car along...

My godsons big brother is into Radicals - Ross Allen, and another friend looks after a few of them - great cars!

Got The Hole Saw Into The Hunton Today!!

Here is a selection of photographs of the cutouts for the transom shields.First job was to mask up the transom & then mark out the positions of the drives.Illmor loaned me a drilling jig which made the job incredibley simple.Once the drilling jig was attached to the transom in the correct position all the mounting holes are hardened steel drill bushes so you can drill through the centre of the drill bush with the correct size drill which automatically holds the drill square to the transom.
Next job starting tomorrow, fabrication of the engine mountings followed by positioning of the k-planes.

Peter

Will send more pictures tomorrow

Attachments

• DSC02393.jpg
    DSC02393.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 418
  • DSC02396.jpg
    DSC02396.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 396
  • DSC02399.jpg
    DSC02399.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 421
  • DSC02415.jpg
    DSC02415.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 446
transoms

Good Morning,
A few more pictures which i had to resize of yesterday's work some more to follow later.
Peter

Attachments

• DSC02395.jpg
    DSC02395.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 375
  • DSC02398.jpg
    DSC02398.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 332
  • DSC02401.jpg
    DSC02401.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC02402.jpg
    DSC02402.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 383
  • DSC02413.jpg
    DSC02413.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 425
  • DSC02416.jpg
    DSC02416.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 432
Them's is big holes!

Lookin good.

Hi Peter!
Also been looking at the Ilmors.What´s the X-dim on the drives?

Hi Mikko,
The input shaft to output shaft centres is 18 3/4 inches and i have mounted the centre of the lower unit 2 inches above the bottom with a level cavitation plate on the basis that i can make spacers to come down if necessary but it is very difficult to go up.
peter

Back