Merlin`s Infinity

FLYING FISH

Here`s a boat that promised so much,yet in 1989 seem to fade from the scene with only 4th place finishes.
Designed by Harry Schoell,the man who also designed Don Aronow`s boats,it was fitted with Ford Merlin diesels,which were once considered for Roger Fletcher`s `Debenhams` before Sabres were selected.
`Down Undies`an Aussy boat driven by Robert Voges at the Atlantic City Worlds had the Merlins fitted to a Lear hull (Apache copy),but he too couldn`t keep pace with Roger Fletcher in `Diesel Dancer`(ex-Abo).

Attachments

• 1988 Merlin`s Infinity (1).pdf
    488.1 KB · Views: 410
  • 1988 Merlin`s Infinity (2).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 716
  • 1988 Merlins Infinity (3).pdf
    433.1 KB · Views: 240
  • 1988 Merlins Infinity (4).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 244
  • 1988 Merlin`s Infinity (5).pdf
    592.5 KB · Views: 1,290
I recall "Down Undies" after Robert Voges brought it back to the Gold Coast in 1990. It was a lovely looking boat (37 ft I recall) but the Merlins were absolute hand grenades. The boat rarely finished a race here and after a couple of years I think the engines were junked, with the boat converted to a pleasure cruiser.

Wow, that boat looks sweet. Are there any other pics of it?

I recall "Down Undies" after Robert Voges brought it back to the Gold Coast in 1990. It was a lovely looking boat (37 ft I recall) but the Merlins were absolute hand grenades. The boat rarely finished a race here and after a couple of years I think the engines were junked, with the boat converted to a pleasure cruiser.

Thanks for that.I wondered what happened to it after the 1989 Worlds.

BTW has the AOPC website packed up.Seems there isn`t a website now for keeping abreast of Aussy Offshore racing.

Thanks for that.I wondered what happened to it after the 1989 Worlds.

BTW has the AOPC website packed up.Seems there isn`t a website now for keeping abreast of Aussy Offshore racing.

The Championships here have been renamed "Offshore Superboat Championships". For those who are interested I'll start a new thread with a link to the web site.

That rounded stern is pig ugly. Shame because the basic hull design looks nice.

Current owner

I recently purchased this hole in the last year looking for some more input from you guys I appreciate the help!

Back