Boatmad.com

Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #1

i'm going sound stupid here but i'm going to ask anyway, why should fee's relate to engine size?
i can relate to both sides of this post, back in 1999 we went round britian as a rally and it worked pretty well, we also took GEE round in 2008 and it cost,
there are people who do the rallies all the time, people like alan priddy, chris strickland to name just a few, my advise for what it's worth if you want to race pay for it, if you want to rally then just do it

biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Chief C*nt!

Interests: Boats
Boat make: Other people's mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
i'm going sound stupid here but i'm going to ask anyway, why should fee's relate to engine size?
As I understand it, the idea is that if you can afford a monster race boat with massive engines then you can afford a bigger entry fee than someone in a smaller boat running on a shoestring. Pricing by hp is a bit of a rough and ready measure, but is probably as good as any.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket View Post
As I understand it, the idea is that if you can afford a monster race boat with massive engines then you can afford a bigger entry fee than someone in a smaller boat running on a shoestring. Pricing by hp is a bit of a rough and ready measure, but is probably as good as any.
In some cases but not for all.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #4

i still don't understand a 40ft boat is a 40ft boat, does it matter what engines are in her, she takes up the same space in the marina, we pay for the fuel, maybe price by the metre, i'm sure someone will put me right
biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
Chief C*nt!

Interests: Boats
Boat make: Other people's mostly

Quote:
i'm sure someone will put me right
I think I already did

It's a race entry fee, not a berthing fee. Like I said it's a rough and ready measure, and not everyone will agree with it, but you asked what the idea was behind it . . .
Old 11-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #6

Quote:
i still don't understand a 40ft boat is a 40ft boat, does it matter what engines are in her, she takes up the same space in the marina, we pay for the fuel, maybe price by the metre, i'm sure someone will put me right
I'm with you on this one. Just because i want big engines why should i pay more cause i know there were many more guys in RB8 with smaller boats that had more money than me
Old 11-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
i know there were many more guys in RB8 with smaller boats that had more money than me
And it'll continue to be the case, as they're clearly spending that money more wisely. You chose the big engines. the key word here, is 'Chose'.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
And it'll continue to be the case, as they're clearly spending that money more wisely. You chose the big engines. the key word here, is 'Chose'.
Agreed it was my choice of engines however when RB8 was announced the fees were £5 per hp and i had already committed to the boat and engines. then fees had to be double which in my case doubled the differnce.

I was only pointing out that not all the bigger engined boats are owned by richer owners. This has been talked about before so not going to bore people again.

This time round i hope that the entry fees will be fixed and not changed at a later date so that we have a choice whether to enter or not.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Reading my post again, it sounds more gobby than I intended, sorry.

However, the principle does still apply. The smaller classes, with smaller boats & engines are there for the racers with smaller budgets (smaller for whatever reason, be it meanness, or actual limited funds).

It's tough I know, but it's kind'a the way it has to be, as Johnny R says.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote