Boatmad.com

Old 17-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #1

Speed,Weight,Safety

Thought I`d better put this on another thread,just to keep the peace with the Round Ireland Thread.

I must say Markus,those length measurements for Thuraya seem most odd,considering the boat was originally built for Casiraghi at about the same time as all the other 41`s.We will never know why it`s different to the drawings.

When I indicated Cinzano could reach 110mph,I was basing it on 1700hp as indicated in the Irish entry list,but I thought you had put in the 725hp illmors,so revising the prediction to 102mph.

It`s just as well you say your`e not interested in speed records,because looking at past situations it really is borderline stuff re the safety aspect.

Even Mr.Shead in that `Portrait of a Winner` write up has highlighted the fact that he was aware that the new technogly engines, were requiring boats of increased length.A 32ft with 1050hp was cause to rethink for a 37ft with 1200hp,and now we have 1450hp -1650hp fitted in 38ft CUV`s,which most mono boats now are 40ft +,for that power.The U.S.boats although even lighter have the length to take 1500hp,and their speeds are well over the 100mph mark.

We`ve talked about min wt to put the brakes on flimsy boats,but also having a boat too short for it`s power can be just as concerning,and that would add another chapter in the rulebook.

If ilmor come out with another even more powerful engine,what ruling would decide the min length that power could be fitted in,and dare I say it,your`e back to power/wt (or boat length).

This isn`t a Jobe`s Comforter diatribe,it`s just highlighting that one should always be thinking to do the `right thing`when certain boat combinations arise.

It`s a pain having to consider all these combinations,and it would be prudent to have in the back of one`s mind how to satisfy a ruling,for it`s not enough to say `those are the rules` end of.It is a wise man that will revise his thinking as situations change,maybe not immediately but for future modification.

FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #2

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

I spoke to an ilmor rep in key west and a 900 blown motor is a on the cards, whether it happens or not is another matter.