Boatmad.com

Old 20-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #21

Boat name: purple haze
Boat make: vector xr 24
Engines: cosworth yb turbo 300

[QUOTE=FLYING FISH;185184]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosworth mirage View Post

without this stuff getting posted it may well disappear for ever. Its a shame J F hasnt talked some of the older racers/riggers to post some technical articals with there views on stuff like prop design/drive configeration/hull and boat setup etc as there info could really help the younger boaters to keep the sport going .

QUOTE]

Just to inform you,this stuff hasn`t been lost ,but is as we speak being scanned (i.e. the old reports and articles going back to it`s beginings in the early sixties) and their is quite a bit of it,15,000 pages in fact.So far approx 30% has been done,and JF is primed to unleash it on Boatmad.
The films in the Gallery achieve only minimal hits for some reason,which considering the work that goes into getting them on the site and their historic value is sad,but hopefully those who do look at them appreciate them for what they are.
With regard to the technical aspect,there are not many books or papers on this.The papers that are, can get bogged down in the theory,and it`s usually the guys who just get on and design/build /test who achieve progress.
A lot of the early technical work has been superseded by standard equipment such that for instance,you can race a boat without tabs,have bolt on drives,etc so a lot of experimentation is not required.
Rarely do designers publish their life`s work,so this data has to be gleaned bit by bit from what little has been referred to.You really want to know first hand from the people that have been involved in racing,for you can go to U.S. sites for example and find a lot of papers written on fast craft by people who have never been near a raceboat.
Some of the few respected people that have written on this subject are Levi and Buzzi,with Bill Maloney (Sorcerer boats) writing a few articles for the magazines.

And as a footnote for Marco,you weren`t being scolded,it was just a tongue in cheek comment at the vast amount of detail in your report.It always amazes me how you can draft that in English.I should think after that,you needed a wipe down with an oily rag.
Good work and a very big task I will be reading them all

cosworth mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #22

Interests: Offshore powerboats/Motor racing
Boat name: no
Boat make: no
Engines: no
Cruising area: no

Send a message via AIM to Black_Tornado Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Tornado
QUOTE]
And as a footnote for Marco,you weren`t being scolded,it was just a tongue in cheek comment at the vast amount of detail in your report.It always amazes me how you can draft that in English.I should think after that,you needed a wipe down with an oily rag.[/QUOTE]

Graham, I had understood your tone "tongue," but with this I realized that I had not completed my story with lists of starters and of several checkpoints. What I'm preparing. In the meantime I found another pictures (even from your library) to help complete the story and some "errata".

Black_Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Black_Tornado Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Tornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta28 View Post
Brilliant, Marco... Thankyou so much.

Your efforts at translation are amazing... and far better than any of us could write in Italian !

I remember reading a short report about this race... and if anyone ever doubted the abilities of Sopwith and his team - to start half an hour late and finish within 8.10 min (if my maths is correct!) of the winner was no mean feat!
Writing in English for me is a continuous exercise which does not want to lose.
Unfortunately it is not the same thing with speech.
About Sopwith at Viareggio, as I wrote, without that delay in start, he would win.
Unfortunately, the race organizers had in a hand the request to delay the start of the race and in the other one the weather report(bad).
However Wishnick was never saved in that race.
Before trying not to lose sight the stern of Balestrieri not having a local expert navigator on board.
Once out of the scene the rival in the Championship, the American from hunter has become the fox, with that Bonelli had to Bastia in the viewfinder. I do not know if Wishnick realized that the crew of Bonelli had to do to keep in route the boat with steering problems.
Old 20-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #24

A blast from the past. Thanks Marco. A great read!!
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #25

To complete this thread here the list of starters with the details when known.

X° Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio – Viareggio - July 18 1971 - List of starters

race number – boat name – country - crew – hull - factory+l.o.a.(ft) – designer - engines +c.i. or power – drives unit -

OP I class - 10 starters

1 – BOSS O’NOVA II – W. Wishnick /R. Moore /P. Leroy – mono - Cigarette 32’ – Aronow - 2 x MerCruiser 482 - stern drives

4 – BLACK TORNADO – V. Balestrieri /J. Stuteville - mono – Cigarette 31’ – Aronow – 2 x MerCruiser 496 - stern drives

6 – GNAM IV - E. Mangini - mono – Cosca/Gemini 28’ - ? - 2 x BPM Vulcano - ? - *

9 - ANDY PANDY - C. Bonomi - mono - San Marco 32’ - ? - 2 x MerCruiser 482 - stern drives

33 – AUG ! – E. Valentini - mono - Cantiere Roseto/Fiberplast Adriatica – De Meis - 2 x MerCruiser – stern drives

69 - LADY NARA - R. Bonelli/A.Petroni/F.Statua - mono - Cigarette 36’ – Aronow - 2 x MerCruiser 496 - stern drives

88 – SIR CAT - F. Cosentino/M. Riggs - cat – Intermarine 33’ – Jones/Trimming – 2 x MerCruiser - stern drives

222 - NICOPAO – G. Mondadori - cat - Intermarine 33’ – Jones/Trimming – 2 x MerCruiser - stern drives

400 – ENFIELD AVENGER – T. Sopwith/D. Shead – mono – Enfield 37’6 - Shead – 2 x MerCruiser 496 - stern drives

? – SAGACE – La Ferla/”Tino”/Fulvi – mono – SanLorenzo - ? – 2 x Caterpillar diesel – drive shaft - **

* C.I class
** C.I diesel class

OP II class - 12 starters

20 – BUDDA BLITZ II – G. Russo - mono – Gagliotta 25’ – Gagliotta – 2 x Volvo Penta 200bhp – stern drives

66 – UFO – R. Mambretti/M. Caprara – mono – Dogale - ? - 2 x Mercury 135bhp - ? - *

77 – BANANA JET – F. Castoldi – mono - Ambrosini - ? - 1 x BPM Vulcano 400bhp – hydrojet drives - *

74 – MOLUSTE -? - mono - Giorgi 27’ - ? – 2 x MerCruiser 165bhp – stern drives

117 – ROAR – Buriassi – mono - Cantieri del Garda 33’ – Frare – Aifo diesel 220bhp – drive shaft - **

260 – SNOOPY - G. Green – mono - Magnum 27’ – Aronow – 1 x MerCruiser 475 bhp – stern drive - *

? - BUDDA BLITZ – S. Grande – mono - Gagliotta - Gagliotta - 2 x Volvo Penta – stern drives

? – CAMARO SPORT - S. Gagliotta/M. Gagliotta – mono - Gagliotta – Gagliotta – 2 x ? diesel 100 bhp - ?

? – BLUE TORNADO - M. Maestrelli – mono - Magnum 28’ – Aronow – 2 x MerCruiser - stern drives

? – SNOOPY - G. Torroni – mono - Acquaviva - ? – 1 x MerCruiser 475 – ? - *

? - MISS WD-40 – O. Trost/U. Trost – mono - Zarcos 31’ - Levi – 2 x BPM Vulcano 400 bhp – drive shaft - *

? - ROAR - G. B. Frare – mono - Cantieri del Garda 33’ – Frare – Aifo diesel 220 bhp – drive shaft - **

* C.II class
** C.II diesel class

Total starters: 22
Old 31-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #26

Race positions at Viareggio – after 39 nm of race.

1st Balestrieri in 50’40” at 46,67 mph
2nd Wishnick
3rd Bonelli
4th Cosentino
5th Valentini
6th Green (first of class II)
7th Russo
8th Buriassi (first of diesel class)
9th Sopwith
10th Castoldi
11th Frare
12th Grande
13th Gagliotta
14th La Ferla

Retired: Mondadori,Torroni,Maestrelli,Bonomi,Giorgi,Mambret ti,Mangini,Trost.

Race positions at Bastia – after 116 nm

1st Wishnick in 2h,50’ at 41,16 mph
2nd Bonelli
3rd Sopwith
4th Valentini

Retired : Cosentino,Balestrieri,Buriassi,Frare,Gagliotta
Old 01-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #27

[QUOTE=Black_Tornado;186143]To complete this thread here the list of starters with the details when known.

X° Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio – Viareggio - July 18 1971 - List of starters

race number – boat name – country - crew – hull - factory+l.o.a.(ft) – designer - engines +c.i. or power – drives unit -

OP I class - 10 starters

6 – GNAM IV - E. Mangini - mono – Cosca/Gemini 28’ - ? - 2 x BPM Vulcano - ? - *

read GNAM VI
Old 01-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #28

VBV in 1971

In 1971 the course of the race was changed for a third and final time, adding to what was done in 1968 the section from the island of Tinos back to Viareggio - instead of that directed from Tino to Bastia.
Note that this change was made after the brochure of 1971 edition was printed because in it there was still the map of the route of the previous year,
which also did not include in transit back from Corsica to the east of Capraia but directly from Bastia to Viareggio and then passing between the two islands.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 01-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #29

Notes to the race

Miss WD-40 of the German doctor Oskar Trost was the former "Dimpi Sea" (not Dimpy Sea) of 1968 a boat of 9.45 mt designed by Renato "Sonny" Levi and constructed in laminated wood for the logo Zarcos of the yards M. Scorza by the homonym manufacturer Marcello Scorza of Fiumicino (near Rome) and was powered by two BPM Vulcano about 400 bhp each with drive shafts.
The boat debuted in the Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio of that year with the Italian Siviero who was forced to retire.

a poor image of the Miss WD-40

Uploaded with ImageShack.us