Boatmad.com

Old 08-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #21

Whilst I would agree with many of the sentiments expressed, if this report results in removing the deceitful, duplicitous and self serving elements that currently contribute or are the cause of many of the issues that exist within the sport then some good may come out of the whole sad and difficult experience.

PKJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #22

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorvator View Post
Mike, whilst understanding your frustration, who would you have do the report?

As I said above with a death involved there has to be someone investigate to clearly dispel malpractice and they have done that with their final summary.

I think they have been as objective as they can in stating what could have contributed to the fatality and have left it to governing bodies to decide whether they implement any changes for improvement.

Toothless in this case is possibly just as well so we don't see things like side impact protection or protusions legislated upon.

For me the report raises one unanswered question and that relates to trimming of the boats. It's stated that neither vessel utilised trim throughout the whole of the race prefering to leave an average setting.

That calls into question the stability of the boats in a turn which then raises a question of ability at racing speeds or that the course was clearly too short to allow the boats time to set a racing trim.

Having said that single engine boats can hook end of, and the truth is that the more experienced here have probably learnt that through a few bruised ribs etc rather a classroom.

Extremely unfortunate set of circumstances that we should at least try to take an element of education from.

Sorry, but you miss my point. We didn't and don't need a 70 page report by an organisation that knows nothing about powerboat racing. What we do have is a Council of all the Powerboat Racing Clubs called the Offshore Racing Committee (ORC) at present run and controlled by the RYA.

It wouldn't have taken much to gather those experienced people round a table to discuss such an accident, learn the lessons from it and adjust rules and procedures so that hopefully it didn't happen again. It would certainly not have taken so long – 8 months? – and those “rule adjustments” would have been sorted ages ago along with all the current frustrations.

Of course that would be in a perfect world which at present we don't have - see previous posts on other threads from ORC members.
ML.

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #23
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
Sorry, but you miss my point. We didn't and don't need a 70 page report by an organisation that knows nothing about powerboat racing. What we do have is a Council of all the Powerboat Racing Clubs called the Offshore Racing Committee (ORC) at present run and controlled by the RYA.

It wouldn't have taken much to gather those experienced people round a table to discuss such an accident, learn the lessons from it and adjust rules and procedures so that hopefully it didn't happen again. It would certainly not have taken so long – 8 months? – and those “rule adjustments” would have been sorted ages ago along with all the current frustrations.

Of course that would be in a perfect world which at present we don't have - see previous posts on other threads from ORC members.
ML.
I fully understand where you are coming from and you are right the ORC should be taking this and acting on it with, as I understand it, the additional evidence that will now be released.

The point I was making is that in incidents such as this you cannot have the initial report done by someone that may have a vested interest in the outcome.

The best analogy I can think of is Senna's death being investigated solely by the FIA. That would not have been acceptable to interested parties i.e. coroners, relatives, police and the like.

Perfect world and this chap would still be with us, but I am fully in agreement with you that the ORC need to get a grip of this quickly.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #24

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

If Only some of you knew what really goes on at the RYA !!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #25
JBP

Chocolates and cakes on some committees........... so I'm told :o
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #26
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
What we do have is a Council of all the Powerboat Racing Clubs called the Offshore Racing Committee (ORC) at present run and controlled by the RYA.

It wouldn't have taken much to gather those experienced people round a table to discuss such an accident, learn the lessons from it and adjust rules and procedures so that hopefully it didn't happen again.
Shouldn't that have happened regardless of the MAIB investigation or am I being thick here?

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote