Boatmad.com

Go Back   Boatmad.com > Boat Mad | Tech > Technical Q&A
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 18-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
PGR

!986 mercury 90hp 2stroke 6cyl

I need some advice please,I have just bought a datline speedboat with a 6 cylinder 90hp the auto lube has been taken off .The boat and engine is meant to be 1986.The engine is all orignal paintwork and has a red band/stripe on it .to remove the engine cover you first have to unscrew a small front cover and then unclip three metal catches and the metal cover can be removed leaving the engine exposed.THe engine runs sweet and sounds lovely except it dies at tickover.To start the engine you have to have the throttle in nuetral and quite far forward once started drop throttle back and leave on fast tickover even when warmAfter speaking to a guy over the phone he said you will never be able to fix it and thats why they stopped making this model.Has anyone had this same problem and is this guy right.Thanks in advance for any replies

PGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
PGR

Thought some pics would help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outboard engine 001.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	16088  

Old 19-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Burty
Have you tried just adjusting the idle speed on the throttle arm??
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #4

Boat name: Sea Breeze
Boat make: Shetland Blackhawk
Engines: Mercury 90Hp Straight Six
Cruising area: Solent

I have exactly the same engine. When was it last serviced? Changing the spark plugs are easy and make a real difference.
The Idle is easy enough to alter. It does take a few minutes on fast idle when started for her to warm up. Make sure you use 50:1 premix, I use the premium quicksilver stuff.
Any more questions let me know.
retaco04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
PGR

Thanks,I havent tried anything yet as i only picked it up on wednesday and took it out on sunday.For its age its fantastic and apart from the idle runs so quiet and smooth.The previous owner has had it from new and it hasnt been used for a year spark plugs look relitevly new but i will remove them and see i also spoke to one shop whick said check the bulb in the fuel line i also have seen a in line tiny fuel filter and then i shall try the idle .Although the first few seconds it sounds correct but then just pitters out.I have used premium fuel with evirude 2 srtoke oil which i was told by my local shop would be good even though i had it leftover from the 150 injection evinrude i had before
Old 19-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
PGR

I went today to exausts unlimeted which sell car parts and ordered 6 spark NGK plugs they were only 2.95 +vat i bet they are not that at the dealers.What do normally pay