Boatmad.com

Old 06-05-2011, 01:01 AM   #21
Trade Member

Interests: ACCELERATION (anykind )

Stick with the Mercury or Penn. blends on steel sleeved Mercurys @ 40:1 you will be fine.....

Jay

Jay Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #22
Le Cat

Boat name: Le Cat
Boat make: Argo Cat 18
Engines: Mercury 2.4EFI
Cruising area: Paris

Jay, not that you anything aboutMerc motors, what's your opinion on 100:1 oils

FrenchPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #23

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRDA View Post
Maybe thats why all your motors dont go properly !!

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:40 AM   #24
Trade Member

I don't subscribe to weird ratio oils its a smoke show as the amount that can be acceptable in a high ratio may be as simple as the oil has a higher viscosity ( thicker ) and has less thinning in the add pack.

If your asking if I like some of these "Magic Elixers Snake Oils" the answer is NO , I tear down and rebuild 2-3 engines a week EVERY WEEK and see most every oil out there and how they perform or how they don't... I've always said that 90% of all outboard engine failures are not due to the lack of oil quality.... Most failures are from mechanical issues. Due to heat, timing, and or fuel quality or the lack of fuel...

I'm from the old school and like what I see when I tear down a motor that has been ran on Pen, Red Line, Motol, or Merc and like a "WET" engine at time of tear down , I've never thought that robbing a motor of lubrication can or will increase HP... I also can look at a piston and smell of the residue and tell you what kind of oil was used. Just have been doing it so long.

I have witnessed some oils peel the chrome right off a crank and bearings so dry they are blue and the rings so sharp you can shave with them. And some have accult like followers . There are some that are in love with the way an oil smells not knowing or caring how well they are lubricating their engines.

Hope I've answered your question, I'm not posting entertaining an oil war discussion , I tell people run what you choose but if you choose wrong here's my card ...

Cheers,
Jay
Old 13-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #25

Wink Oils??

I'm now confused (doesn't take a lot);-)

I'm now not sure what I should use for my yams 225 revving hopefully no more than 5500 what mix would you recommend, I'm looking to race so if that makes any difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Smith View Post
I don't subscribe to weird ratio oils its a smoke show as the amount that can be acceptable in a high ratio may be as simple as the oil has a higher viscosity ( thicker ) and has less thinning in the add pack.

If your asking if I like some of these "Magic Elixers Snake Oils" the answer is NO , I tear down and rebuild 2-3 engines a week EVERY WEEK and see most every oil out there and how they perform or how they don't... I've always said that 90% of all outboard engine failures are not due to the lack of oil quality.... Most failures are from mechanical issues. Due to heat, timing, and or fuel quality or the lack of fuel...

I'm from the old school and like what I see when I tear down a motor that has been ran on Pen, Red Line, Motol, or Merc and like a "WET" engine at time of tear down , I've never thought that robbing a motor of lubrication can or will increase HP... I also can look at a piston and smell of the residue and tell you what kind of oil was used. Just have been doing it so long.

I have witnessed some oils peel the chrome right off a crank and bearings so dry they are blue and the rings so sharp you can shave with them. And some have accult like followers . There are some that are in love with the way an oil smells not knowing or caring how well they are lubricating their engines.

Hope I've answered your question, I'm not posting entertaining an oil war discussion , I tell people run what you choose but if you choose wrong here's my card ...

Cheers,
Jay
Wallby202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #26
Trade Member

I use 40:1 blends ( Mercury or Penn. syn blends) on steel sleeved bores ( Which your Yamaha IS ) If your not planning on turning over 5500 the 40:1 blend mix will work fine...

Our coated sleeved 2.5 Mercury Race Engines ( aluminum sleeve with Nicom/Nik coating ) turn 11,000 + rpms and we use Red Line Full Syn on those applications. ...

These combos work well for my recreational rebuild as well as all out race customer's engines...

Jay
Old 14-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #27
... sundowner anyone ?

Boat make: some rings & phantoms
Engines: some mercs
Cruising area: indian ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Smith View Post
Stick with the Mercury or Penn. blends on steel sleeved Mercurys @ 40:1 you will be fine.....

Jay
... thats what i do for ages till 6500rpm with liqui moly mineral based

... for 7000+ i prefer 32:1 like rob says with liqui moly formula racing

bling never made anything fast
grandmas denture is offline   Reply With Quote