Interests: power boats
Boat name: voodoo ,enforcer,assagai
Boat make: ring 21c ,frode 25 , class 2 cat assagai 46 pre
Engines: yam 200hp ,4 v8 cats, , 280 efi
Cruising area: saltash/plymouth sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearny View Post
Lol bud no offence was taken
wow Pearny you couldn't wait to rip me though (all the gear and still really no idea) i was only stating a fact, not slaging you personly off just quoting on something you said about honda guys. if you want to apologise you know where i am

gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:13 PM   #102

This thread makes interesting reading, and what was prophesized came true in the end.

Marinautic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #103

Interests: Racing Boats? Building Superyachts.
Boat name: Atlantic Challenger
Boat make: 1 x Honda 27ft race - 1x 17m Challenge prototype
Engines: 225 - tickled. Force Rotax 500 hp x 4
Cruising area: All of UK

The thread really brings back memories (sniff)!
If Honda were to resurrect the same series, same tv deal, same sponsorship deal, same support deal etc etc , would anyone take a team to them and join a tried and tested formula??

Not an entirely hypothetical question, with the decline in powerboat activity (compared with the mid 2000's) would there be interest? Honda are to (allegedly) return to F1, not necessarily to lead offshore but the 8 years of F4s was commercial sense in promoting the 150 and 225 engine - why not the 250 and mix it with the other established (now) brands out there.

The issues with safety of that era have been exhausted and moving on from P1 intervention as a stand alone brand, would it excite the heart of offshore in the UK?
Old 14-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #104

The trouble is, like childbirth everyone forgets exactly what it was like when the series was running, It was far from smooth sailing and now its gone everyone wants it back.

The series did wonders for Honda and their brand in the marine world, more than they will ever claim to admit but marine companies just don't have the budget to support these things in this day and age.

before any series was ever to get off its feet everyone would have to learn to play nice with each other and come together rather than picking holes in the few people that try and make things happen.

I think the VC was a great example how people in this sport love to see others fail, Even if its not for you and you don't necessarily agree with how things are done I think if anyone try's to promote and forward this sport whomever they are we should always try and support them where we can. If everyone starts to adopt this sort of attitude sponsors may look at this sport a little more seriously.

Its always going to be difficult as if you have racing in your blood you are an Alpha personality and that will always cause conflict. I think Guernsey is a great example of what can be achieved if everyone works together and supports each other.

I would love to see a true offshore series happen again but I think a sole manufacturer sponsor is a thing of the past.

the only way I could see something happening is a one design hull or strict guidelines on the boat itself, all at an affordable price and then run whatever suits your budget in the engine front. Once this got going this would allow the way for 'manufacturer' teams which I could then see engine manufacturers getting into as its only a loan of product for them then. Basically F1 on a budget.

This would still need someone we could all hate to run it, that would put up with all the whining and grief. Its by no means an easy task for anyone and the man hours required is thankless. these things only work with a single source in control and is by its own nature self destructive.

All I can say is if someone steps up, I'm there if they need me and they have my support 100%.
JohnD73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #105
/280

Interests: Motorsport

I agree seeing a one make series again would be fantastic! Whether that be a one make hull design with different engine manufacturers or one engine manufacturer alone.

Like already stated it comes down to cost, not only for competitors but for the manufacturer/manufacturers. Everybody always wants a low cost/budget Formula in Motorsport, that's the dream! But for a manufacturer to come in and gain the publicity they'd want from the series then it would have to be televised, which is where the low budget goes out of the window.

As im sure people know I was a great supporter of the Honda series, it opened peoples eyes to the sport including mine and made me interested in the sport as a whole.

Seeing a revised one make platform return to the sport would be what it needs.

225 is offline   Reply With Quote