Boatmad.com

Old 16-08-2004, 10:37 AM   #21
L&N

Interests: fast cars,bikes,boats
Cruising area: solent

yeh, ok you all must be right the phantom must be 100% perfect on the underside so no one could ever inprove it........

i will just have to give up trying to make a better desighn because nothing ever will be as good, right??????????????

L&N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2004, 10:40 AM   #22
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

On the contrary, make a new and better design by all means! that's exactly what everybody wants you to do. You're clearly an expert.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2004, 10:42 AM   #23

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Splashing!

Most people who splash hulls kid theirselves that they making big changes - but always seem to use the fact that the hull was based on a 'successful design' in the first place when they come to try and sell their inferior product.

If these companies have so much knowledge / skill why don't they develop their own craft from scratch?

Probably does not really need answering!

Adam
Old 16-08-2004, 10:52 AM   #24
numbskull

Nicely put Adam!

And I take my hat off to the likes of you, Richard/Jonathan Lucas, Mike Ring, Steve baker, Terry Sleap and anyone else who designs, builds, riggs and races there own boats! bloody good show

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 16-08-2004, 11:18 AM   #25
The Doc

I didnt realise K4+ was a bespoke design......very impressive.

As for the whole phantom debate.............Anyone ever considered actually talking to steve baker and asking him how he would (atleast) attempt to improve on any of his hull designs.

I dont know him, but i'm sure the brain is still able even if the body is no longer willing!!! Having him onboard as a consultant would be a very genuine approach to producing a quality product, although it would probably cost said "splasher" some £££££'s

But of course i understand that its possible to wog someone elses hard work by being very underhanded and do them out of a few quid?

So which was it the sharpe or the pacer predater that was the better boat to the phantom 18?

my memory fails me!
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2004, 11:41 AM   #26
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnson
Nicely put Adam!

And I take my hat off to the likes of you, Richard/Jonathan Lucas, Mike Ring, Steve baker, Terry Sleap and anyone else who designs, builds, riggs and races there own boats! bloody good show
Didn't do any hull design but we built rigged and raced the BananaShark and we are (still) building a leisure version which we have designed the top half from scratch - We are proud to be associated with Lorne Cambell - the designer of the hull and if we ever sell any he will recieve royalty payments!

It is incredibly satisfying to win races in a boat that was built in your own workshop, and actually having a hand in building it as well - I just wish I was a better laminator - fortunately Kitten was born with a fluffy in his hand!

An American court case recently agreed a splashed boat was a new design despite the hull being identical but with a different deck!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2004, 11:48 AM   #27
numbskull

Quote:
Originally posted by Cookee
An American court case recently agreed a splashed boat was a new design despite the hull being identical but with a different deck!
Not surprising, let's face it, American courts frequently rule simply unbelievable things!....come to think of it, so do British ones

Old 17-08-2004, 03:23 PM   #28
Pension Dodger

Interests: Offshore water ski racing
Cruising area: !!!!!!!!!

Phantoms through the years have progressed but the basic design has remained, way back when the Bourne Brothers (Jon will put me right) I think it was raced a snoop nosed Phantom 16 on the Putney Calais race, (friend of mine had it for years after and it is still around) it has been one of the best produced and successful boats around, sadly no more, I cant say that the new models that are being built are the same, they may look the same on the outside but a Phantom built by Steve was a Phantom, he built them and knew how every part was put together, just buying a mould and building one does not make it a Phantom, you cannot gain Steve's experience in 5 minute's by splashing a hull, that's only a very very small part of a Phantom.
dbe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2004, 03:44 PM   #29
The Doc

thank you, I actually agree,

so mines a bit of a 21 phantom sorta thing!
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 03:58 PM   #30

Interests: lots
Boat make: scorpion 8.1
Engines: 250HO
Cruising area: solent

isnt it supposed to be a 5% change that permits a legal splash so to speak?? not a lot is it?

glen76 is offline   Reply With Quote