Boatmad.com

Old 26-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Burty
The person selling the 2.5's on boats and outboards is called A J, his name on boatmad is sterling and he lives in holland. not Ian Sterling who you are refering to who races the yellow P21 in F200 on boatmad he is called "old beardy"

Get me now

Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2006, 10:34 AM   #22

Interests: Boats, Surfing & Snowboarding
Boat name: Isabella / Cool Runnings II / Bella / Sea Pup / Sea Dog / Speedy II / Bernico F3
Boat make: Colvic 35 Suncruiser / Bernico F3 / Phantom 16 / Zodiac 420 YL / RIB / Apollo 9
Engines: 2 x Perkins Sabre 225ti / Mercury Pro XS /Mercury Pro XS 115/ Tohatsu 2.5 / Mercury 25 / Mercury 50
Cruising area: Thames Estuary / River Crouch / Salcombe

Arhh LOL Thanx

Old 26-04-2006, 01:16 PM   #23
hello

Quote:
Originally posted by Silversurfer
Agreed some of them run really well but the HP differential between Tazs and mine (real world test i.e. how it feels) felt considerably more than 60-80 HP. I would go as far as saying nearly twice as much HP.
Taz's motor is 300HP and the 200 xr2's are actually a bit under 200hp, 196 or something like that I think, so the difference was probably over 100hp. Also the 2.5 makes more torque due to its extra capacity and EFI makes a big difference over carbs when it comes to low and mid range punch.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2006, 02:10 PM   #24

Interests: Boats, Surfing & Snowboarding
Boat name: Isabella / Cool Runnings II / Bella / Sea Pup / Sea Dog / Speedy II / Bernico F3
Boat make: Colvic 35 Suncruiser / Bernico F3 / Phantom 16 / Zodiac 420 YL / RIB / Apollo 9
Engines: 2 x Perkins Sabre 225ti / Mercury Pro XS /Mercury Pro XS 115/ Tohatsu 2.5 / Mercury 25 / Mercury 50
Cruising area: Thames Estuary / River Crouch / Salcombe

Go for the 2.5L then!
Old 26-04-2006, 11:52 PM   #25

i thought xr2's were 150's which gradualy crept up in horsepower to about 171 untill the later ones i.e what cookee was running which was closer to 200hp. any how i know i wouldnt want one as you can almost guarantee it will be an old race motor, had the life thrashed out of it and will only just be waiting to go bang for the last time!!!!!!
rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 05:55 PM   #26
hello

Quote:
Originally posted by rama
i thought xr2's were 150's which gradualy crept up in horsepower to about 171 untill the later ones i.e what cookee was running which was closer to 200hp. any how i know i wouldnt want one as you can almost guarantee it will be an old race motor, had the life thrashed out of it and will only just be waiting to go bang for the last time!!!!!!
I think from about '90 onwards the 2.5 style block XR2's were all just under the 200hp mark. These days I would have thought this type represents the majority of XR2's out there.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 09:02 AM   #27

Interests: Fast boats
Boat name: Xtreme
Boat make: Bernico 21
Engines: Mercury F1, 300 Drag, XR2 "Fingerported"
Cruising area: South West

XR2's

XR2's from 1991-92 onwards were rated at 200hp, most however didn't quite reach the 200hp mark most were around 188-197hp at the prop.
Cookee's XR2 would have been 207+hp having been blueprinted by Nick Barsch.
Ski race XR2's could produce even more power as the engines are only limited to 2.0cc and not the port height and manufactures tolerances as in OCR and most other classes of racing.
Even a really good XR2 with 'a lot' of work done for ski racing will be limited to around 230hp at best.
I had a fingerported XR2 which is alot of work to have done even that would not produce any more power than 230hp.

The difference between the finger ported XR2 and the XR2 built by Nick Barsch (ski race engine) was not noticable in fact I had better results with the Barsch motor.

Also worth noting that if built correct this motors are very reliable, and don't worry about buying an ex race motor unlike a standard engine of the same age a race motor will have been rebuilt ever year.

I would have another for sure, now being a good time to purchase one as it is being banned from more and more classes of racing.

Cyco

Cyco is offline   Reply With Quote