Boatmad.com

Old 20-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #41

Interests: Offshore powerboats/Motor racing
Boat name: no
Boat make: no
Engines: no
Cruising area: no

Send a message via AIM to Black_Tornado Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Tornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bontoft View Post
Which book did the first one come from? The second is what its all about
Come from a contemporary Italian magazine. I think has been taken during the Bahamas 500 because it is in the first version without the windscreen and with the flag without the coats of arms.
More ahead in the year then on the 35' a windscreen has been put similar to that mounted on the 36' and adds the coat of arms on the flag.
Only criticism that I can say on the boat restoration it is on the type of windscreen not conforming to the original one and the cockpit bolster that it isn't as on all the boats of Bonomi in metal light blue.

Black_Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 02:10 AM   #42

I have the wind deflector off the boat at the moment and was thinking of running it that way at Cowes. And now after seeing your first picture even more so. I like the look of the deflector and it is something to duck behind but she looks way old school without it. whats do you forumers think? wind deflector or No. The bolster looks original but I can't be sure. Paint is original as is the signage and Kiekhaefer decals. As you know the boat was in storage for 20 plus years and then it had a complete mechanical restoration with very little cosmetic. It would be great to find some color pictures of the boat from way back when.

Mike Bontoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 02:54 AM   #43
The Doc

Just my opinion Mike, but I think it looks way better with the screen
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #44
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Definitely with!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #45

screen

defo with no competion
ashley nihell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #46

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Would it pass scrutineering without the screen?
Old 21-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #47

I agree with Marco about the bolsters - if you look closely at this shot, they were originally light metallic blue. It's hardly surprising that this part of the boat would deteriorate over time. Foam goes kind of dry & crunchy over time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2-26-2009%205%3B41%3B01%20PM.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	22056  
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #48

More DM IV pics

Here it is in 1975 mode.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DM IV (1975).jpg
Views:	303
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	22062   Click image for larger version

Name:	DRY MARTINI IV (1975).jpg
Views:	462
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	22063  
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #49

1974 South American Races

Despite in Crouse`s book saying Dry Martini II a 35FT ciggy won,a 1974 interview with Tim Powell refers to a 36ft ciggy being used,which could have been the red one in U.S. or the white one ex- Aeromarine.

So I wonder if you could get this confirmed for us Mr.Ciao,when Tim was out there with the ill fated ABO,was Bonomi`s boat the red one or the white one.
Of course it could even have been the white one with the cowled cockpit that became Yellowdrama II,but I doubt it.
Old 21-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #50

Wow, Thanks guys, great pictures. I was working under the deck last night and found where they had the antenna mounted on the right but then came across some filled in holes that arched around that were way forward of the deflector, and they had me scratching my head. After I posted yesterday I realized from the earlier picture that the bolster must of been change but could not find where to edit my post??????. This site is the first thing I check every morning to see whats going on in the offshore world. Historic of course. Thanks again.
I'll take some pictures soon.
Mike Bontoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #51
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Wow, Thanks guys, great pictures. I was working under the deck last night and found where they had the antenna mounted on the right but then came across some filled in holes that arched around that were way forward of the deflector, and they had me scratching my head. After I posted yesterday I realized from the earlier picture that the bolster must of been change but could not find where to edit my post??????. This site is the first thing I check every morning to see whats going on in the offshore world. Historic of course. Thanks again.
Mike, have you been using the extraordinary gallery from Graham? I don't think it was working when you joined, but is up again now. The stills are all there (nearly 4000), and we're in the process of re-populating the video archive.

Take a look round:

www.boatmad.com/gallery

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #52

Send a message via AIM to Black_Tornado Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Tornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
Despite in Crouse`s book saying Dry Martini II a 35FT ciggy won,a 1974 interview with Tim Powell refers to a 36ft ciggy being used,which could have been the red one in U.S. or the white one ex- Aeromarine.

So I wonder if you could get this confirmed for us Mr.Ciao,when Tim was out there with the ill fated ABO,was Bonomi`s boat the red one or the white one.
Of course it could even have been the white one with the cowled cockpit that became Yellowdrama II,but I doubt it.
My doubts on what DM Bonomi had brought in South America they were on the fact that was the 35' or the 36'(III).
On what 36' I don't have doubts instead.
Bonomi brought the new 36' to the VBV of the 1973. Then it brought it to the Dauphin D'Or where it won.That 36' it was then envoy in USA to dispute the end of season, while been racing with the old DM(I) in the races of the North where it mounted the first time the windscreen projected and built by Cigala&Bertinetti.
The DM (III) also it with the new and typical windscreen of the C&B won the Miami-Nassau in October 1973.
That red - DM (II) - ex Fino(I)-Red Vengeance remained always in Italy and at the end of 1973 she had put in sale together with the DM (I) and they were both modify as pleasure boats with cabin.
Already to the beginning of the 1974 Bonomi it had two boats only: the 36' DM(III) and the just launched 35'. With the 35' he intended to race some competitions in USA and with the 36' the rest of competitions.
Evidently before beginning the European season at Palma de Mallorca in May Bonomi made to pass the 36' for the South America.
What then the tactic was that before him Wishnick, Balestrieri, Rautbord and Gentry had used.
Old 21-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #53

Quote:
Mike, HORBA site have several colours pics of your 35' in Bahamas 500 version without windscreen and then with the C&B style windscreen like the pic that Graham have posted above with a transparent in blue plex in the uppert side. So you can see the original bolster too.
See HORBA 1000 pics.
Old 21-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #54

Quote:
Here it is in 1975 mode.
Look in this version 1975 the 35' brought the writing MerCruiser after from the 1972 Bonomi had been the ensign of the Kiekhaefer. And Bonomi missed the Title.
In the 1973 Balestrieri went to the Kiekhaefers after for years had been the ensign of the MerCruiser. He missed it too.
Irony of the history.
Old 22-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #55

Dm Iii

From what you are saying Marco about Dry Martini III (the cowled canopy) doing the 1974 South American races,it`s ironic to think that both that boat and Abo (albeit the 2nd Abo) are both sitting within yards of each other at Drivers.
And talking of irony,I wonder why Swipewipes has used the same race numbers as those Maltese P1 boats.Spooky!
Old 22-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #56

Quote:
From what you are saying Marco about Dry Martini III (the cowled canopy) doing the 1974 South American races,it`s ironic to think that both that boat and Abo (albeit the 2nd Abo) are both sitting within yards of each other at Drivers.
And talking of irony,I wonder why Swipewipes has used the same race numbers as those Maltese P1 boats.Spooky!
Graham,I would say that it is marvelously perturbing that two old thoroughbred of the seas are still side to side 35 years after.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #57

DM Ciggy 36

Here are a few shots of the H19 36' Cigarette (III? - converted to a cruiser) entered for the C-T-C this year, but far from ready and looking a bit rusty in the nether regions... Gordon C was saying they'd have to work flat-out to have her ready after engine failures have left a big question-mark over her being able to take-part... all hands to the pumps?

If any of us can help, I'm sure we would.. Now, where's that lottery ticket again?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	07-08-10 Drivers 013 (Medium).jpg
Views:	237
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	25655   Click image for larger version

Name:	07-08-10 Drivers 023 (Medium).jpg
Views:	321
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	25656   Click image for larger version

Name:	07-08-10 Drivers 024 (Medium).jpg
Views:	260
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	25657  
Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #58

Dm Iv

On the other hand, Mike's 35' looks fairly pristine... Just a few (rather coy) shots to tease, as I don't want to steal Mike's thunder... and he is rather busy at the moment!

But looking good...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	07-08-10 Drivers 049 (Medium).jpg
Views:	292
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	25659   Click image for larger version

Name:	07-08-10 Drivers 050 (Medium).jpg
Views:	354
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	25660  
Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote