Old 14-08-2006, 09:15 PM   #121
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally posted by glen76
Found some of the organisation a little confusing this time though! Most importantly No emergency numbers were given out at briefing which could have left broken boats in an awkward postion.

We also only knew the afternoon was cancelled through hear say!
Yes, I was confused too.

As it seems we forgot to announce a mobile number at briefing, and you had spoken to your friend and knew he'd broken down, why were you in the pub, eating & drinking, and moaning about how you "couldn't understand how it had gone wrong, and we'd failed to provide proper cover", instead of going out there yourself to tow him in?...not that bothered I guess.

I'd also like to ask why, when you had concerns about a lack of "emergency numbers", you didn't take the opportunity between briefing, and the departure from Drivers Wharf, to ask the question, or indeed, at the end of the briefing, when I asked if there were 'any questions'.

As it happened, Gary Maybe was made aware of the breakdown, and went from Osbourne Bay, all the way back to the Horse Sand Fort looking for him, but couldn't see him.

We actually don't offer a break-down service anyway, you need 'sea-start' for that. If John, or anyone else breaks down on any normal boating day in the Solent, they'd have to deal with it themselves, 'awkward position' or not. And anyone who doesn't feel happy with that, or is worried at the thought of it happening, didn't aught to be out there at all!
If 10 boats had 'broken down', should we have had 10 safety boats following up the rear, ready to jump into action and rescue them all, just in case?...or maybe 20!!?

As for curtailing the PM course, and it being a 'secret', when I came round to the pontoon you were on, I told you, and Simon, that you needed to go pay your mooring fee if you hadn't already (which you bleated about) and that we were gonna shorten the pm course because of the conditions, and there would be a meeting on the pontoon in 5 mins to discuss it!

If you didn't hear this, and subsequently heard it as 'hear say', why didn't you come over to me, or Gill, or Gareth, and confirm or dispel your 'rumour'?

As I said, I'm confused too.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 05:26 AM   #122

Quote:
was a good day ive done quite a bit of damage to my boat, snapped the skeg off and bent wats left! broke dash, drivers seat and sink!
How on earth did you snap your skeg off?

Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 10:14 AM   #123

Interests: Racing Rubber
Boat name: Comfortably Numb
Boat make: SR9
Engines: Yanmar
Cruising area: Over there

Glen,

We are sorry that you found the organisation of the Roker Run below your standards. Alot of People put alot of effort in to making this event happen FOR FREE!!!. JF for doing the course AV etc... , Gill & Naomi for all the admin and organisation, Debbie for decorating the hanger, Jasper & Dean for getting all the boats launched and recovered and still smiling under the pressure, Chris For supplying the lighting for the evening FOR FREE!!! This is run as a non profit event any monies made from the last one went into raising the prize fund for this one. Georgia ran the bar with extremely cheap prices for your benefit! What profit was made frm the bar is being donated to the recovery of young Ben Ridd 360 quid infact so money well spent in my opinion.

Remember Glen boating is fun and takes common sense as shown at the cat incident. If your not happy don't take part! quite simple really.

Thanks again to all those who helped and took part to make it a super day.

Regards

Numb Nuts
Numb Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #124
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Talking

And thank you to all involved for organising it - had a great time despite the weather!

Can we have some sun for the next one please?

ps. the band wasn't bad either!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 10:29 AM   #125

Interests: Big Dinners
Boat name: Never Enough
Boat make: Seaquel 600xs
Engines: 225hp Merc ProMax
Cruising area: Anywhere! I prefer Weymouth

Send a message via AIM to MrRob
Quote:
Originally posted by Numb Nuts
Glen,

We are sorry that you found the organisation of the Roker Run below your standards. Alot of People put alot of effort in to making this event happen FOR FREE!!!. JF for doing the course AV etc... , Gill & Naomi for all the admin and organisation, Debbie for decorating the hanger, Jasper & Dean for getting all the boats launched and recovered and still smiling under the pressure, Chris For supplying the lighting for the evening FOR FREE!!! This is run as a non profit event any monies made from the last one went into raising the prize fund for this one. Georgia ran the bar with extremely cheap prices for your benefit! What profit was made frm the bar is being donated to the recovery of young Ben Ridd 360 quid infact so money well spent in my opinion.

Remember Glen boating is fun and takes common sense as shown at the cat incident. If your not happy don't take part! quite simple really.

Regards

Numb Nuts
Its a laugh init.
Old 15-08-2006, 10:58 AM   #126
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Originally posted by Cookee
Can we have some sun for the next one please?

ps. the band wasn't bad either!
The band was bad. Should be banned. The pig on the spit was nice.

Can I have a boat for the next one please?
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 11:18 AM   #127

Give me your chequebook and I'll give you a boat.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #128

Interests: windsurfing + fast boats
Boat name: Avon, Hot Pursuit
Boat make: Searider 5.4m, Yam 90 - P16 Yam 70
Engines: too many
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Glen,

Well said mate, if these people hadnt made the effort none of this could have happened so stop bloomin moaning!

Regards

Numb Nuts
Old 15-08-2006, 11:29 AM   #129

Interests: windsurfing + fast boats
Boat name: Avon, Hot Pursuit
Boat make: Searider 5.4m, Yam 90 - P16 Yam 70
Engines: too many
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Glen,

Regards

Numb Nuts

Well said mate, if these people hadnt made the effort none of this could have happened so stop bloomin moaning! sorree couldnt make the evening doo
Old 15-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #130

Interests: again...same!!
Boat name: Dragon
Boat make: Revenger 29
Engines: 315 hp Yanmar
Cruising area: would be telling!

What is it about human nature these days that encourages moaners to criticise after the horse has bolted?
It's a shame, but we seem to be heading fast towards a society which are unable to voice their worries or their concerns face to face at the most critical time, ie when it matters. There seems little point to me to moan about something well after the event, when I could, and some say I do, voice the 'moan' or the worry when something can be done about it!

I'm quite annoyed by Glen's comments, as frankly the seat and sink issues pale into Solent sinking insignificance when we think back to the cat incident. As JF said, and has said before, each skipper is responsible for their own vessel. This includes making sure that you are happy with the information you have, the phone numbers you carry, and whether your boat is sea worthy. Enjoying our boats, which has an element of danger, also requires a major level of common sense. I'm concerened that the local chandlery seems to have run out of that particular commodity!

As far as I understand it, we are there for fun, and with a level of comradery which will, and certainly did on Sat pm, prevail in the event of an incident.

All I can say is that we had a great time, thoroughly enjoyed it, (as always), and thank you very much indeed for organising everything.

Ps, our boat doesn't have a sink to break..........
kickon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #131

Interests: Boats/Cranes
Boat make: Revenger 29 RIB
Engines: Illmor V10/625hp.

Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon McMath
Well said Jono & Gareth.
Gordon McMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally posted by kickon
Enjoying our boats, which has an element of danger, also requires a major level of common sense. I'm concerned that the local chandlery seems to have run out of that particular commodity!
I have yet to find a Chandlery shop who had even heard of "common sense", let alone stocked it.
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 04:10 PM   #133

Interests: lots
Boat make: scorpion 8.1
Engines: 250HO
Cruising area: solent

Jon i think you are being mildy agresive about myself having an opinion! This is a forum not a brain wash!

I too forgot the mobile numbers until it was too late, there was also the issue of nobody responding on the designated ch10 but i didnt personally do that so cant comment! My only question i intended for the briefing was if you want us to come alongside downwind of mark boats but i too forgot that. I aint perfect Jon and im sure you are not too.

I mearly wanted to raise a slight concern and possibly suggest a solution but when i mentioned it you were uninterested (that was the moment i arrived in the pub too). If you are NOW interested.........

on motorbike equivelent poker runs they have a chase me charlie guy or backmarker who ensures the welfare of the last rider and directs if a situation arises aswell as a front runner, is this not a possible solution??? Sorry i have an opinion guys!

You may have noticed that we did not infact arrive in the pub until all the 1st round of food was eaten due to our arranging of a tow and only then did we moor up.... Check with the yellow honda if you do not believe me as he helped us shuffle boats around well after everyone else was well and truely filling up on grub!

I also would like to correct you i never actually said the words "couldn't understand how it had gone wrong, and we'd failed to provide proper cover" did i, i can quote myself if you like but i think you can probably remember and i didnt even portion blame, it was you that took it that way but probably because i didnt get time to finish chatting to you before you concluded and turned your back on me

I know gary went lookin and we appreciated that and he was seen only a little in the distance but due to the weather we were unavailable to get close and communicate effectively therefore maybe not relay the information reliably

The mooring comment was a joke jon, no i wasnt aware of it as i didnt hear it in the briefing but i had no problem with it, not bleating thankyou. I also stood by you in pub for sometime and chatted to cookee and his passenger because i am NOT so rude to interupt your conversation, but then through shear luck when i went to loo we were only people left!

I am not attacking you like you are me jon and i would appreciate it if you could consider that we all live and maybe learn day by day and comments and suggestions should always be welcomed to help improve an event... THATS ALL.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Fuller
Yes, I was confused too.

As it seems we forgot to announce a mobile number at briefing, and you had spoken to your friend and knew he'd broken down, why were you in the pub, eating & drinking, and moaning about how you "couldn't understand how it had gone wrong, and we'd failed to provide proper cover", instead of going out there yourself to tow him in?...not that bothered I guess.

I'd also like to ask why, when you had concerns about a lack of "emergency numbers", you didn't take the opportunity between briefing, and the departure from Drivers Wharf, to ask the question, or indeed, at the end of the briefing, when I asked if there were 'any questions'.

As it happened, Gary Maybe was made aware of the breakdown, and went from Osbourne Bay, all the way back to the Horse Sand Fort looking for him, but couldn't see him.

We actually don't offer a break down service anyway, if John, or anyone else breaks down on any normal boating day in the Solent, they'd have to deal with it themselves, 'awkward position' or not. And anyone who doesn't feel happy with that, or is worried at the thought of it happening, didn't aught to be out there at all!
If 10 boats had 'broken down', should we have had 10 safety boats following up the rear, ready to jump into action and rescue them all, just in case?

As for curtailing the PM course, and it being a 'secret', when I came round to the pontoon you were on, I told you, and Simon, that you needed to go pay your mooring fee if you hadn't already (which you bleated about) and that we were gonna shorten the pm course because of the conditions, and there would be a meeting on the pontoon in 5 mins to discuss it!

If you didn't hear this, and subsequently heard it as 'hear say', why didn't you come over to me, or Gill, or Gareth, and confirm or dispel your 'rumour'?

As I said, I'm confused too.
glen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 04:11 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally posted by kickon
What is it about human nature these days that encourages moaners to criticise after the horse has bolted?
It's a shame, but we seem to be heading fast towards a society which are unable to voice their worries or their concerns face to face at the most critical time, ie when it matters. There seems little point to me to moan about something well after the event, when I could, and some say I do, voice the 'moan' or the worry when something can be done about it!

I'm quite annoyed by Glen's comments,
I did but was unheard, thats the point
Old 15-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #135

Gareth Please do not take my comments as anything more than constructive critisism. I do not mean to attack or knock, short of breakages i had a great day but im sure we could have all made minor improvements to increase all our fun, safety, and general enjoyment!

Your entirely right the bar was unbelievably cheap, the admin and general day was very good, with regards to common sense i hope some people can see past their own pride and apply common sense to listen to to other peoples opinions, i had a conversation with a fellow boat madder about the cat rescue and he had a very different opinion to me about its management but i was more than happy to listen and take it all in and possibly learn from it.....

So ill say again thankyou for the great day to garath, gill and friends.... Sorry to those that took offence maybe when you hear a snippet of a story its very easy to be tainted!

Quote:
Glen,

Regards

Numb Nuts
Old 15-08-2006, 04:43 PM   #136

Hardboaters? Pah! Yer all a bunch of selfish. disorganised, whinging, good-for-nothings.. .. not like us noble Ribsters.. What?… Shit!…. err… Hardboaters.. yer all a bunch of fine, upstanding Gents… that’s wot yez are….
Old 15-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #137
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
If you are NOW interested.........
To be perfectly honest, no, I'm not.

This is the second poker run you've attended, and the second time you've had a concern or opinion to express.

To be perfectly honest again, I think your mindset, attitude and approach are unhealthy for the kind of non profit, 'club' event that these small poker runs are, or at least are intended to be, and the best way to make your point, is as Gareth says, to steer well clear in future...simple.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 05:56 PM   #138

What newcomers don't appreciate is that the poker runs are not intended as an officially organised "event", but as a bunch of mates having a day of boating together for a bit of a laugh, and a few beers in the evening. The difference in expectations between the 2 is quite significant.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Fuller
To be perfectly honest, no, I'm not.

This is the second poker run you've attended, and the second time you've had a concern or opinion to express.

To be perfectly honest again, I think your mindset, and approach are unhealthy for the kind of non profit, 'club' event that these small poker runs are, or at least are intended to be, and the best way to make your point, is as Gareth says, to steer well clear in future...simple.
please explain? i did suggest a bigger entry fee for passengers in return for entrance to prize giving.. is that what you mean??? Sorry am i not allowed to think outside of the box, i thought this could therefore increase cash flow, entrants perception to winning and possibly attendants, something that all poker runners and organisers could benefit from.... How is that not healthy and it was only a SUGGESTION.

Jon im Not going to continue to argue over a thread you have twisted and tainted in an attempt to highlight my minor negative comments in all fairness, ie how contact numbers were forgot, in an attempt to drag me through the mud by putting words into my mouth. I know what i said in the pub and i know what you didnt hear.

I had a great day, i dont care i broke my boat, wasnt moaning about it! confused how i did the skeg but dont give a damn, mostly glad the cat owners were ok (and he was a really nice guy too) impressed with most peoples level of concern or help offered! Sorry if any offence was taken by gareth and drivers crew who were amazing (especially bar). Unfortunately also sorry some people cannot listen to possible improvements and even consider them when they could benefit all taking part!

Old 15-08-2006, 07:08 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
What newcomers don't appreciate is that the poker runs are not intended as an officially organised "event", but as a bunch of mates having a day of boating together for a bit of a laugh, and a few beers in the evening. The difference in expectations between the 2 is quite significant.
Think possibly your right matt! cheers for help sunday morn