Boatmad.com

Old 15-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
It was interesting to hear Shelley Jory say that she was having a difficult time steering and throttling in those big seas during the last CTC race and had to ask the engineer, who was standing in the back, to come up alongside and do the throttling for her. It worked because they came home fourth!

And no sexist comments please
Sorry but what boat was that and did the engineer change with navigater.

Jim Brooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #62

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brooker View Post
Sorry but what boat was that and did the engineer change with navigater.
She was in the New Scorpion 30ft RIB with Knox-Johnson navigating. All where standing in boulsters but there was space between the front two for the engineer to come up and stand between Knox-Johnston and Shelley to work the throttles.

The boat is a conventinal cruiser so it's not rigged as an out and out racer. They did do well though when you consider that they finished between two very fast Revenger RIB's.

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
She was in the New Scorpion 30ft RIB with Knox-Johnson navigating. All where standing in boulsters but there was space between the front two for the engineer to come up and stand between Knox-Johnston and Shelley to work the throttles.

The boat is a conventinal cruiser so it's not rigged as an out and out racer. They did do well though when you consider that they finished between two very fast Revenger RIB's.
Great thanks for info.
Old 15-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #64

Steering & throttling part 2

I was hoping you would comment Jim,to get some meaningful response.

I can`t say how much steering/throttling TBS actually did,but that ME2 layout must have been originally thought out for him to do the lot,and for him to be comfortable to do that.I know Don Shead in the original Unowot did it all himself because Ronnie was navigating and Harry was paying the bills, which in that case makes the front guy`s work all the more noteworthy.

As Jim says,on the bigger boats there is more to worry about for one man,which comes back to my original comment re one guy in the front bolster having to cope with throttling and steering,unless the man in the stbd bolster does the throttling.

Of course in reality it may be that if LPW hits the water, it will be driven at reduced speeds in a rally type event where all the above is not so important.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #65

Boat name: B-52
Cruising area: The Solent

Still Throttling/Steering

In ME2, talking to one of his engineers this morning. He said that when it became very rough, they would have to stretch forward and throttle. This was all done by gestering and shouting. No descent comms in those days,although this system was reliable.As the boat was designed for the owner/driver to do both jobs.
Has anyone any idea what happened to Miss Enfield 1, which had a fully welded deck. ME2 riveted to alleviate the distortion as in ME1.
gap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
I was hoping you would comment Jim,to get some meaningful response.

I can`t say how much steering/throttling TBS actually did,but that ME2 layout must have been originally thought out for him to do the lot,and for him to be comfortable to do that.I know Don Shead in the original Unowot did it all himself because Ronnie was navigating and Harry was paying the bills, which in that case makes the front guy`s work all the more noteworthy.

As Jim says,on the bigger boats there is more to worry about for one man,which comes back to my original comment re one guy in the front bolster having to cope with throttling and steering,unless the man in the stbd bolster does the throttling.

Of course in reality it may be that if LPW hits the water, it will be driven at reduced speeds in a rally type event where all the above is not so important.
So you were hoping for some meaningful response I don't know about that, but from my experiance if you would like to go really quiekly in a heavy sea, you need a guy throttling and one steering, the guy steering needs to keep the boat on a even keel and not let it fall on the chine, not so easy with a big boat, if it does fall on the flat of the hull in a ally it f--king hurts,
The one throttling should be retriming tabs and drives all the time to get the best result on Petrol and Diesel.
Both of these guys must have a lot of confidence in each other to make it work.
Old 15-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #67

JB comments

Oh come on Jim,don`t be so modest,you know a damn site more than most.

I`ll just wait for the book to be published.Richie Powers is doing one.I bet he won`t be saying anybody can drive Mr.Gentry,Bonomi,Clauser etc etc.
Old 15-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #68

Me 1

As far as I can remember,when Tim Powell had it as the gas turbine `Marlbro` which really jarred off the Embassy team ,being as that crafty Tim beat the Embassy crowd to being first to test and get the exposure,the boat was in the shed at Enfields when there was an explosion and it caught fire,and presumably that was that.
Old 15-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #69

Quote:
Oh come on Jim,don`t be so modest,you know a damn site more than most.

I`ll just wait for the book to be published.Richie Powers is doing one.I bet he won`t be saying anybody can drive Mr.Gentry,Bonomi,Clauser etc etc.
Yes you are right, I have thought of writing somethings down, but I think Richie book will be a lot more interesting than something I could muster up, I have so many stories to tell, but nowadays I am getting to lazy, but I do think this site is beginning to drag all stories from the back into front of my mind
Old 15-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #70

Interests: Boats, Cars.
Boat name: Splash 4
Boat make: Hunton
Engines: Mercruiser 640
Cruising area: Poole, Solent

Quote:
So you were hoping for some meaningful response I don't know about that, but from my experiance if you would like to go really quiekly in a heavy sea, you need a guy throttling and one steering, the guy steering needs to keep the boat on a even keel and not let it fall on the chine, not so easy with a big boat, if it does fall on the flat of the hull in a ally it f--king hurts,
The one throttling should be retriming tabs and drives all the time to get the best result on Petrol and Diesel.
I have to say that I agree with Jim wholeheartidly, both about sharing the roles and the fact that it f--king hurts !!
Pennpromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #71

Quote:
I have just found this photo and you can see I have had a lot to do, fuel adjusting on the left and throttles and 3 speed gear change on the right, trim and fuel tanks in front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gerves boat.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	21914   Click image for larger version

Name:	gb.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	21915  
Old 15-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #72

T-Man

As i understand it, most boats used to have driver and (often a professional) throttleman, due to both being "very busy" when it was rough...

There is an excellent article in an old Powerboat & Waterskiing by David Hagan concerning throttling "The Legend"...

"..60 mph in Poole harbour (?!) you can stand a glass of G+T on the dashboard... 70mph you begin to hang-on tighter... 80 mph off the Needles, how do you begin to control 5 tonnes of very fast-moving machinery....?!!" etc. etc...

Will try to look it out and post.

John Clarke was insistent on having a foot throttle in the big lambo-powered cat, so that he could "do-it-all"... mind you, used to sound bloody awful - as though his timing was a bit off at times... might explain why they got through so many engines...
Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta28 View Post
As i understand it, most boats used to have driver and (often a professional) throttleman, due to both being "very busy" when it was rough...

There is an excellent article in an old Powerboat & Waterskiing by David Hagan concerning throttling "The Legend"...

"..60 mph in Poole harbour (?!) you can stand a glass of G+T on the dashboard... 70mph you begin to hang-on tighter... 80 mph off the Needles, how do you begin to control 5 tonnes of very fast-moving machinery....?!!" etc. etc...

Will try to look it out and post.

John Clarke was insistent on having a foot throttle in the big lambo-powered cat, so that he could "do-it-all"... mind you, used to sound bloody awful - as though his timing was a bit off at times... might explain why they got through so many engines...
Well David Hagan is in the photo of the cockpit on the right and Goldrush and The Legend is the same boat.
Old 15-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #74

Timing issues...

Quote:
Well David Hagan is in the photo of the cockpit on the right and Goldrush and The Legend is the same boat.
Sorry Jim, I was writing that as you were posting yours... if I'd seen yours first, I would n't have bothered !

Anyway, must have bin you David was writing about...! Will try and find the article.
Old 15-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #75

This thread needs pics!!

Name:	Marl001.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	21918

Quote:
As far as I can remember,when Tim Powell had it as the gas turbine `Marlbro` which really jarred off the Embassy team ,being as that crafty Tim beat the Embassy crowd to being first to test and get the exposure,the boat was in the shed at Enfields when there was an explosion and it caught fire,and presumably that was that.
olli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by olli View Post
This thread needs pics!!

Attachment 21918
Agreed.

Still can't find that article, but here's a PB&W cover from '84 (apologies, it's another photo of a photo... computer and scanner still not on speaking terms)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB&W July 84 008Lr.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	21921  
Old 16-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #77

Thread pics

Sorry I didn`t add the pics,I though you old buggers knew what I was banging on about.Anyway if you are Mr.Tennant,which you have yet to confirm `Olli` you should have a crate load on pics to hand.
Old 16-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #78

Quote:
Sorry I didn`t add the pics,I though you old buggers knew what I was banging on about.Anyway if you are Mr.Tennant,which you have yet to confirm `Olli` you should have a crate load on pics to hand.
No, not Mr. Tennant.
olli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #79

Me1/marlbro

Stop press!1975.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MARLBRO.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	21922  
Old 19-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #80

Interests: Offshore powerboats/Motor racing
Boat name: no
Boat make: no
Engines: no
Cruising area: no

Send a message via AIM to Black_Tornado Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Tornado
Back to Damned Bertrams

Quote:
From the files,and still updating.

Whittaker Moppie 73-75

Pangare Gringo 1974-76

Streaker 1974-76
Cristex 1979-81

Miss WD40 1975

Really Ridiculous

Whittaker Moppie 1976
Benihana II 1976
Bertram 49ER 1977
Flapjack 1978

Copper Kettle 1976-79
Satisfaction 1979
Flapjack 1980-82

Benihana III 1977

Benihana IV 1978-79

Flapjack 1979
Toleman Group 1980-81
Peter Stuyvesant I 1982-83
Carlsburg 1986

Natural Light 1978-79
Swap Shop 1980

Safari 1980

Vincentive 1980-91

Longshot (never raced?)
Visions of Guernsey 1987
Dogone 1994-97
Lamborghini Racing 1998

Here an update and some precisations in your list:

Whittaker Moppie 73-75

Pangare Gringo 1974-76
scrapped

Streaker (I) 1974-75
Today Pleasure boat in USA

Streaker (II) 1976
Cristex 1979-81
under reconstruction in USA

Miss WD40 1975

Really Ridiculous

Whittaker Moppie 1976
Benihana II 1976
Bertram 49ER 1977
Flapjack 1978

Copper Kettle 1976-79 (First boat ever built in Kevlar 49-DuPont)
Satisfaction 1979
Flapjack 1980-82

Benihana III 1977

Benihana IV 1978-1982 (in Japan for Aoki in 1979 and for Toshiro Mihara 1980-82)
Alpha 1983

Flapjack 1979
Toleman Group 1980-81
Peter Stuyvesant I 1982-83
Carlsberg 1986
Today in Germany

Natural Light 1978-79
Swap Shop 1980
Repainted like the the first Whittaker Moppie now it’s a pleasure boat in USA

Safari 1980

Vincentive 1980-91

Longshot (never raced?)
Visions of Guernsey 1987
Dogone 1994-97
Lamborghini Racing 1998
Today in Portugal

BTW I think that the Miss WD40 and Safari were the same boat.
There was a 38' Competition Needle Nose of Lewis brothers but I think it never compete in a official race. Today the boat rest in USA.

Black_Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote