Boatmad.com

Old 25-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to ciao!
They have decided just to use her as a pleasure boat now, refitting all the upholstery etc, ready for cruising about the Solent. They will be at Cowes but just as spectators.

ciao! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #22
blind dog

Interests: fast
Boat name: drivers dry berthing
Boat make: buzzi
Cruising area: anywhere fast

ctc,cpc

re;gee hopefully we will see gee in cowes then.what are the boats in class 10

blind dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #23
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

I can’t see why there is surprise at the lack of entries to date. Read fully & think about the content before driving in the crucifixion nails.
If you have a search back on these boards over recent years the same complaints from competitors always come to the surface for the event.
As a smaller boat you play 2nd fiddle in terms of launching, slots & availability, pit position & access along with a two tier social event structure, race changes, access, ect ect. “We only tolerate you because you top up the kitty for us to run it for real boats” is very much the taste left in the mouth as opposed to “all racers together”. That may or may not be correct; it is the perception that people are left with. Hence talk for national point’s status to be removed or even a driver boycott for the event in recent history.
Ask a question of yourself, why? & be honest in the answer, could we have done it differently? You can play somebody a few times but they will smarten up in time.
Now add what is one of the most expensive ferry crossings per mile going, it’s not surprising people are not flocking to the call.
What was grannies saying “remember who you pass climbing the ladder of life, as you pass the same people on the way down”.

All grass roots / newcomer boats are accommodated & V24 for the main event for want of a better term after some “thought”.
“Question” Is it a repeat performance or a new beginning? that is the question running though my head & suspect a few others as well.
I'm as guilty as anybody for letting my own personal feelings & thoughts sway me, that is a character flaw within me which I wish I could change. If it comes down to 1 entry as to it taking place or not then I’ll front up the money & won’t show that I think is fair.
I really do feel for P1 in many respects IMHO they were sold a bit of a lemon, I think Cowes are creative in the charges but heck they “cane” everybody not just power boating when there is an event on. Guy I know booked a slot last year when Cowes Yachting was on and his charge was many hundreds of pounds per night to birth a 30 footer in what was a sister marina - £40 for the following week, they are quite accomplished at exploitation.
Maybe a solution would be to make it mainland based one day offering greater options & flexibility, people or companies can price themselves out of a market.
BPRC – Drag yourself into the modern age, the web presence is very poor, a Google just gives some sports site/listings referrals to a C/O address in Cowes. Who are you? - What do you do? – Wear it loud & proud. Don’t rely on some 2nd hand links. There is some history & great personalities involved, don’t hide.
The Cowes classic web site seems to have died - just being a domain holding page. OK it’s a P1 event - holding page with some info & a hyperlink to P1. I thought it was great to just pop in & look at all the previous winners listed – Bring it back. Ciao is quite able to accomplish this – provide the tools. Take onboard what ML & the RB8 web presence achieved.

I can understand the thinking for reviving the race in this RB8 year, some racers have something to prove, others are licking wounds, eek !!! let alone bank statements but don’t rely on the name selling it alone.
If the revival of endurance racing is to take off for forthcoming years the event has to run even for a small entry – so what if it’s a self launched exercise at a mainland marina.
Endurance racing needs the “street cred” of it will happen for racers & sponsors to dig deep.
Actually that goes for any offshore race – maybe below a fixed number the RYA fee reduces proportionally or even removed.

For something to grow you don’t just plant the seed – You have to water & look after it - move it to a better position in the garden if needs must. Heck we got the potato from South America. I really do hope it runs for the greater good & you guys & gals have a great event.

Right start with the nails now !!!!!! Opinion, banter, exchange of views . Personal Insults via PM

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFin View Post
The Cowes classic web site seems to have died - just being a domain holding page. OK it’s a P1 event - holding page with some info & a hyperlink to P1. I thought it was great to just pop in & look at all the previous winners listed – Bring it back. Ciao is quite able to accomplish this – provide the tools. Take onboard what ML & the RB8 web presence achieved.
This was registered this afternoon, and instructed yesterday afternoon.

http://www.britishpowerboatracingclub.co.uk/

I haven't had too much time on it!
Old 25-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #25

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciao! View Post
I haven't had too much time on it!
You'd never know!

And what the f**k does "copoc" do?
Old 25-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #26

Who?!
Old 25-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #27
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciao! View Post
This was registered this afternoon, and instructed yesterday afternoon.

Why cant I guess like that with lottery numbers - bug*er

Team25Racing.com

Old 25-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #28

It was a very well timed post - nominet reg came through about 2 hours earlier!
Old 25-07-2008, 11:16 PM   #29

Boat name: Grip-O.co.uk
Engines: Steyr-Motors

rule change

Just got back to find another invoice in the post that says my boat (swipewipes.co.uk) now does now not fit the rules for class4, they have changed it to a max length 27ft WHY? (changed after I entered)
My 2 x 3200cc diesels now go up to the 13000cc petrols and 11000cc diesel class. I hoped it would be the same as the RB08 rules how wrong one can be.
Class size now 24.5ft to 27ft but a rib can be 21.10ft
What has the size of the boat got to do with, minimum length minimum weight yes, max engines size yes.
This happened to me in RB08 when the Scorpion ribs got the rules changed to suit their boat, as the engine cc for diesels came down from 13000cc to 11000cc. Now you Know why the cc in RB3 class is the odd one out.
They get rules changed, I build a boat to fit the rules, now It does not fit the the next race rules.
What next I wonder.
2-XS-IF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 11:30 PM   #30
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Perfect!

stop the cheque.

I will endevour to contact Jim O Toole tomorrow.

I'm sure this must be a mistake, as Jim said all the RB stuff will be able to run 'As it did in the RB08' one assumes this means within the same class.

If it can't be changed, the best thing to do is vote with your feet.

BTW, RE: RB08, I heard today that Lame-Lemmer got his 6BY Yanmars FOC (on loan)from Barrus! they got good value there eh! Fancy the Barrus management sponsoring the crankies and expecting a result!

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 11:44 PM   #31
Traveling

I'm in danger of having a post proved correct twice in one night..... Where that lottery ticket

Team25Racing.com

Old 26-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #32

Minimum weight also changed in class 4 now down to 950kg from 1500kg
Old 26-07-2008, 01:06 AM   #33
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Class rule changes should not be allowed past the point where the entry form is published.

It is a contract.

It needs to be upheld as a contract.
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 04:39 AM   #34

Blufin i'm sorry but i stopped reading by the third par.

Cut the crap are you racing or not. then we can have a beer and discuss
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #35
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-XS-IF View Post
Minimum weight also changed in class 4 now down to 950kg from 1500kg
Interesting!

I wonder why? What could possibly happen to instigate this. does Puddifoot own a 949 kilo 26' 11-3/4" foot boat with a 6.49 litre motor??

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 26-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #36

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verytricky View Post
Class rule changes should not be allowed past the point where the entry form is published.

It is a contract.

It needs to be upheld as a contract.
For once (and once only) I agree with tricky. They can't change the rules once the entry forms are published and one month before the event, that's lunacy. They are either running our RB08 rules (modified for V24's) or not. Who is making this decision anyway as I understand Jim is away on holiday until Monday!!!!
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #37
numbskull

As per our original tech meeting to put the RB rules together, I believe the system of giving a maximum length within a class is flawed. Min weight, yes, max power, yes, but if someone chooses to use a larger hull, which will invariably be better in the rough, and safer, who are the organisers to say no?
When the 1st draft rules were done by Mike, without really giving it a thought he put the classes as bands of boat size, ie, 25-28 feet, 28-33 feet, 33-40 feet, 40-50 feet. this was an easy mistake / assumption to make at the outset, but when we all met to go through the details (this is before Puddifoot used his position to alter the rules in his favour) it was agreed that all classes would have a min length, min weight, max engine capacity. This would hopefully give some reasonable class structure as far as competitiveness goes, and allow racers to choose to build a slow-ish, safe, capable rough water boat if they wished.

Of course, as many RB class 4 boats came in overall higher positions than than boats from seemingly superior classes, maybe someone has decided this wouldn't do at all. Again, a flawed plan, as the RB3, 2 and 1 rules, if used to the max would have produced very few cases of lower classes beating the higher (breakdowns notwithstanding). and it certainly isn't fair to punnish the RB4 class runners for the failings of the higher classes to do their job properly.

Going back to the subject of people changing rules to suit themselves, it's noteworthy that after the RB3 rules got 'changed' to suit a certain make and model of boat, another competitor put plans together to run a boat in RB3 that would eclipse the golden boys, so having got the rules changed in RB3 to suit them (and ruined the continuity of the rules accross the classes in doing so), the person(s) responsible for the changes then bailed out of RB3 and moved on to another class (away from the competition) leaving the broken and disjointed RB3 behind in their wake..I guess even they couldn't have instigated a second change of the RB3 rules after seeing Deans intention to run the 5.1 litre Yanmars, without the shit really hitting the fan.

All I can say is, at least we don't allow people like that to run our sport.

Old 26-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #38

Interests: boats
Boat make: new boat on way
Cruising area: uk

Exclamation Rules for Cowes Event 2008

Hi All

There seems to be a huge amount of misunderstanding here - to the best of my knowledge.

The Rules HAVE NOT BEEN CHANGED.

1. The minimum boat length for Class 4 is 24ft 6 inches, the maximum boat length for Class 4 is 27ft.

2. The minimum boat length for Class 3 is 27ft with a maximum boat length of 35ft.

This is clearly stated on the Entry forms.

3. The only boats that have to run to Round Britain rules for this Event are the boats that did not fit into any class rules already published in PB1. Therefore, if you are a Class 3 boat, and you fit the minimum lengths, you would be running to Class 3 fit out rules and equipment, as per PB1 for Class 3 - the only additional equipment for the Cowes Torquay you would have to carry is a life raft and an EPIRB. You do not have to carry a spare engine.

4. Just to make it very clear here, the Rules were agreed by the RYA Offshore Racing Committee and CAN NOT be changed without the Offshore Racing Committee's consent. I can assure you all that we have not been asked to change any Rules. If we had been asked, it would have been pointed out very clearly that it would have been to the total detriment to this Event and the Sport.

If anybody has any queries please talk to me and I will answer your questions, or find out if I don't know the answer. The bottom line is guys, like so many things, the grapevine is sometimes wrong and people make mistakes.

So to clarify this Race is being run to Round Britain 2008 Rules for the boats that fit those classes, it is being run to PB1 Rules for the Classes that are covered by PB1.

As for the original point on this thread, the Event being cancelled because there are not enough boats, this is true. If only ten of you want to turn up, it is hardly worth the effort of the organisers to put on an Event that is going to cost a huge sum of money. So yes, we need as many entries as possible. You've got the options, you can take part in the Cowes Torquay or you can part in the Cowes Peveril Cowes - so whether you have an OCR boat or a 1000 hp beastie, you can take part in the Cowes Peveril Cowes, if you have a V24 - you can take part in either race, as long as you carry the additional equipment for the CTC.

So before you all listen to rumours and talk yourselves out of this Event, please contact the people that actually know.

Look forward to seeing you all at Cowes supporting this Event.

Kind regards
Gary Manchester
Chairman, RYA Offshore Racing Committee
flightracingteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #39
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
Blufin i'm sorry but i stopped reading by the third par. Cut the crap are you racing or not. then we can have a beer and discuss
Not this event but will be at the poker run, outside maybe on Tricky's RTI - Sombody actually read 3 paras of my waffle- I'm impressed.

Team25Racing.com

Old 26-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #40

The rules have been changed!
The letter I got says. "Based on the information provided about your boat we have had to amend the class in which you will race. As such the fee as well......"
I have the copy of the entry form that I sent with the payment and it says minimun length only no max.
What is on their site now is not what it read when I entred!