Boatmad.com

Old 26-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #181

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

Who was the 'Channel Islands Observer' in place of a marshall boat??

James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #182

Today

A lot of people put in an enormous amount of effort for a few of us to enjoy a great day racing. We owe a prodigious amount of thanks to those who give of their time in this way and make these events happen. So - sincere thanks from an inadvertent winner on the day.

Rob G

Rob Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #183

Interests: Powerboats, Alpine Skiing
Boat name: Blastoff Challenger
Boat make: Fountain 38 poker run
Engines: 2 x Yanmar 440
Cruising area: Solent

Well done Fiddy and the army of helpers who made this race possible, despite the electrical gremlin we had a blast and FINISHED!
Dozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #184
OOD

Interests: Racing
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pash 1 View Post
Thanks to everyone who helped in the race today (You know who you are), without you we would not have had a race, Massive thanks to the 8 boats and crews who supported the race and gave their all. Congratulations to Rob Grey in Uno Embassy nice to see a planatec back in winning ways

Well Done to V & Gareth worthy winners of the Marathon Series

Now is not the time to moan about the course being 1/2 mile offshore, "Fiddy this or Fiddy that" and the fact that we lost a mark boat on Wednesday with only 2 1/5 days before the race, Now is the time to be thankful that everyone got back safe and sound, we all witnessed some great racing today, made new friends, met some old friends after many years, and gave the boats their last outing before rebuilds in the close season.

Thanks to All Again for making the Race a success

Martin
Fiddy or Mr Fiddy
Old 26-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #185

Interests: Rally Driving
Boat name: Double 2 Shirts
Boat make: Planatec 41
Engines: 2x625's+ From Uncle Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOD View Post
Fiddy or Mr Fiddy
Mr Fiddy Sir...
Old 26-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #186
OOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
Back to the usual haunt.Heavens knows why with a course that was half mile out,so the pics are a bit rubbish at that distance off.
For the first time ever ,Fiddy had to recruit a Channel Islands observer,on land to subsitute for a marshal boat,and even he couldn`t understand why the course had to be pushed so far offshore,leave the St.Albans mark out and job done,a la SCM 2009.
Although Going Lean was well out in the lead,Fury was setting an even faster pace after it had stopped for nearly 30 mins,but eventually packed up on way back from Fairway Buoy on 2nd lap.He was 23 mins behind Uno on Anvil 1st run,and 8 mins behind on 2nd run.
After Going Lean had retired after 1 lap,Blast Off who was 2nd at Anvil on 1st run and 2 mins ahead of Uno had problems on 2nd lap and went 10 mins behind Uno,but pulled back to 5 mins behind at Anvil on 2nd lap return run and looked to have the capabilty of pipping Uno at the finish,but apparently not.
Meanwhile Relentless had become only 2 mins behind Blast Off,and 7 mins behind Uno with approx 30 miles left,so as usual a rib puts the whizzer boats performance into perspective.
Conditions looked a bit lumpy in Poole Bay,with the Northerly winding itself up,but off Anvil it was as flat as a pancake with no swell to make it interesting.From what we could make out ,Going Lean was averaging about 60kts with Uno about 50kts.
8 boats started (inc the new PPG Print) which was up to 4th with 30 miles to run 8 mins behind Uno.It actually gained 2 mins on Uno, 60 - 30 miles from home.
As you can see,a spare bolster on Uno??????
Sir Graham
before you make comment you should get your facts right

Mr Fiddy
Old 26-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #187

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

As you can see, a spare bolster on Uno????

You don't have to remind me Graham!

Would just like to say how good it is to see UKOBA back running races once again after so many years. Also I would like to say that I know Tony Fiddy had his fair share of problems as most organisers do but he stuck with it and gave the racers a great day out. That is the most important thing, to get the races put on for the guys to have some fun. Well done to all.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 12:29 AM   #188

And the winner is...

Many congratulations to Rob and the crew of Uno-Embassy... A thoroughly deserved win with such a beautifully restored and rigged (and driven!) boat.

I have a feeling that they were the "people's favourite" that we all secretly wanted to win. Age has its benefits... (I'm referring to the boat, not the crew)

A big thankyou to all the competitors who turned-out and put-on a great show, to the organisers and all "behind the scenes"... It was also a truly splendid venue.

Apologies (in advance!) for the quality of the pictures... it's difficult spotting for Denise and yelling when a competitor has crossed the line, whilst trying to get good pictures in-between!

Will post more later-on...

Thanks for a great day everyone, ian

Uno-Embassy on her way to the start. (Sorry it's on the skew, haven't got around to any editing))
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 S C Marathon by IS 111 (Large).jpg
Views:	224
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	27049  
Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 12:52 AM   #189

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
As Ian said in the last post a "people's favourite".

Once again Mike Bontoft should be acknowledged, he re rigged that boat on his own last winter and of course Flying Fish, who was making sure that boat was built well before threads on here!
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #190

Quote:
Now is not the time to moan about the course being 1/2 mile offshore, "Fiddy this or Fiddy that"
For a moment there Martin,I thought you had assumed the role of Mr.Fiddy`s minder.

There never is a good time to raise course issues.As `Media Director` or whatever,I would have thought it goes with the territory to accept any flak,from us lower ranks,who have been supporting the sport,way before any `Rally Convert`yet to sample the delights of 10ft seas off the Jurassic Coast,and as depicted in one of my pics of D2S off Anvil,when run on a nearer course,and without which could not be chosen by your goodself to be used on his Boatmad avatar.So we do have our uses sometimes.

The worry is,if you get another crack at this,the same format could be applied,which to anybody following the sport can be quite alarming.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by larby View Post
Who was the 'Channel Islands Observer' in place of a marshall boat??

James
He didn`t give his name,but seemed to know what`s what in the running of races.He knew you anyway.
Old 27-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOD View Post
Sir Graham
before you make comment you should get your facts right

Mr Fiddy
What needs checking?

Those are the facts.

Did I omit `Anthony` or something.
Old 27-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #193

Quote:
For a moment there Martin,I thought you had assumed the role of Mr.Fiddy`s minder.

There never is a good time to raise course issues.As `Media Director` or whatever,I would have thought it goes with the territory to accept any flak,from us lower ranks,who have been supporting the sport,way before any `Rally Convert`yet to sample the delights of 10ft seas off the Jurassic Coast,and as depicted in one of my pics of D2S off Anvil,when run on a nearer course,and without which could not be chosen by your goodself to be used on his Boatmad avatar.So we do have our uses sometimes.

The worry is,if you get another crack at this,the same format could be applied,which to anybody following the sport can be quite alarming.

Graham, talking with you is always enlightening and as you know I value your advice in many ways, although the thought of being "Mr Fiddy's Minder" is not a career path I would relish. The thought of me cutting a "Kevin Costner" Bodyguard role is a horrible picture to paint.... As far as the role of "Media Director" is concerned it is a position I never sought or applied for, although in that "Hallowed Role" if you had contacted me you could have come out on the safety boat with me and obtained some of your usual High Quality Photographs. Interesting enough, Rallying is a terrible spectator sport that has benefited from TV Coverage immensely, standing just off the course only to see for a few seconds a rally car come past every three to five minutes at break neck speed is about as exciting as watching Paint Dry (Apart from where the co-driver tell the diver to a steer a 90 left when he meant a 90 right)

Graham, what I was trying to get across was, now is not the time for comments about this and that, now is the time to thank all involved, competitors, officials and those unnamed hero’s without who's help and assistance the race could not have gone ahead and thank "whomever up there" that it was an incident free event and all returned to port safely. No doubt UKOBA will have a post race autopsy and discover what went well and what not so well, take on board comments positive and negative, and try to put procedures in place to enable UKOBA to improve in the promotion and running of next years race to make it an even more enjoyable event for the competitors and spectators alike.
Old 27-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #194

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

Quote:
He didn`t give his name,but seemed to know what`s what in the running of races.He knew you anyway.
How very strange. I'm intrigued to know who it was now, not aware of anyone from over here being in the uk and I don't know many from Guernsey. He wasn't a big chappie with short hair was he by any chance? Hope he didn't say anything too bad about me!

Cheers, James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #195

Quote:
How very strange. I'm intrigued to know who it was now, not aware of anyone from over here being in the uk and I don't know many from Guernsey. He wasn't a big chappie with short hair was he by any chance? Hope he didn't say anything too bad about me!

Cheers, James
Just to elaborate,I asked him if ever went on Boatmad,and he said he didn`t,but he was aware that Larby did.He is involved with a lot of the races in the channel islands.Big guy,short hair, and here`s the clue,wore a `t` shirt with C57 on it.
He told me he got a call to come over late in the week,so it was all last minute stuff to save the day as it were.
Old 27-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #196

Quote:

Cheers, James
Tony Le Paige (Sorry Tony if i've spelt your name wrong)
Old 27-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #197
OOD

Quote:

Cheers, James
James
Tony Lapage

Was there as Ass/So and radio Operator Based at anvil Point
Should you want more information please contact me direct

Tony
Old 27-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #198

Quote:
Hope he didn't say anything too bad about me!
Actually James he spoke very highly of you....
Old 27-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #199

Quote:
what I was trying to get across e.
Talking of trying to get things across,I would like to put on record that places like Anvil and Portland Bill are superb vantage spots to watch real offshore at work,for there is more often than not some good seas running,so with that in mind I try to push for the courses to come close there.Didn`t need to, in the old days as races like Needles and CTC always satisfied that situation.
Going out on safety boats is fine,but I always wonder where you finally end up,so ideally I like to control my location as far as practical.
Old 27-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #200

Quote:
Talking of trying to get things across,I would like to put on record that places like Anvil and Portland Bill are superb vantage spots to watch real offshore at work,for there is more often than not some good seas running,so with that in mind I try to push for the courses to come close there.Didn`t need to, in the old days as races like Needles and CTC always satisfied that situation.
Going out on safety boats is fine,but I always wonder where you finally end up,so ideally I like to control my location as far as practical.
Point taken on board Graham, and noted for next year