Old 10-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #41
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pash 1 View Post
Perhaps you should try it Jon - It certainly concentrates the Mind..
I think you should go boil your head.

BTW, going back to the line about a fool & his money, how is the Planatec?

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #42
blind dog

Interests: fast
Boat name: drivers dry berthing
Boat make: buzzi
Cruising area: anywhere fast

south coast

i dont see the relavence of class and cost of boat.i reckon for e.g swipes would have cost more to build than a secondhand vees boat or deans fountain even though very different levels of racing,mind you very different fuel costs

blind dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #43
blind dog

Quote:
Look Chaps,
I am just a Guy who is trying (Against All Odds) to Organise a Race for Marathon Boats, I may not be perfect, I may not get it right, But I am passionate about this race, IT WILL GO AHEAD, and hopefully it will be fun for all concerned.

I Don’t want to get involved in Politics regarding Cost/Value, This start Venue or that, This Course or That, ETC ETC ETC

I Have only Had TWO OFFERS OF HELP regarding this Race and those were from Barrie and Sheena Williams - and when you consider what they have endured in the past year that is a monumental gesture of assistance.

So Chaps - Cut me Some Slack, it may be different next year... but just Allow me to try "Please"
fair play to to you martin for trying .good luck
Old 10-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #44

Interests: Rally Driving
Boat name: Double 2 Shirts
Boat make: Planatec 41
Engines: 2x625's+ From Uncle Sam
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind dog View Post
i dont see the relavence of class and cost of boat.i reckon for e.g swipes would have cost more to build than a secondhand vees boat or deans fountain even though very different levels of racing,mind you very different fuel costs

Scott,
The analogy was a 16 foot ring against "Class One Boys" which is naive on a Logic basis let alone a cost reconciliation basis. but hey, let those who wish to complain do so.. If they who knock have ever tried to organise a race then I would be amazed..

I may well be totally different next year, but I need to learn and it seems the only way to do so is to lay oneself open to critics..

As far as "Boiling my Head" I must have done that prior to offering to organise this race
Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
BTW, going back to the line about a fool & his money, how is the Planatec?
Jon the Planatec is doing fine thanks for asking:

Quote Jon Fuller: reply 1174 of "The Planatec Thread":
That's the whole point. To anyone who doesn't know any different, it looks like an likeable enthusiastic guy trying against the odds to achieve a dream.

I've seen a very different side of it. I don't like Warren, I don't like his attitude, and I think he's absolutely full of shit. I'm well sick of hearing him wax lyrical about the fabulous progress, that for the record, is pure fiction.

If you don't know him, I really don't think you're qualified to judge the story, him, or his boat. (or indeed my reaction to all three)

I can assure you that whilst I'm one of the few to actually pass (bad) comment, I am very, very far from alone in my views on the subject.

I'm not going into any more discussion about him and his boat as it's pointless.

Everyone knows how I feel about it and he aint gonna be posting any updates here, so you'll have to follow / continue it on their marvelous new world-order website.

Here's a link for your convienience.

www.Powerboat-uk.com
Old 10-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #46

But we are not talking about D2S
This is a race thread..
Old 10-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #47
numbskull

Quote:
i dont see the relavence of class and cost of boat.i reckon for e.g swipes would have cost more to build than a secondhand vees boat
And how about the Williams-Hawkes 25 year old revenger vs Deans new 50' 4 engine outerlimits. 15k vs 750k.

Martin, 16 rings used to take part in the same events as class one, but you wouldn't know that, nor have the intelligence to understand it was 'an example', not a suggestion about suitable Marathon boats..

If you're not going to be able control your sarcastic remarks to me, I really don't think you should be 'using' this forum.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 10-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #48

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Entry Fees

I refer to earlier post - I took advice on this subject - Sheena also asked me for Harwich Marathon Fees and followed suit.

http://cowes2010.co.uk/paypal%20entry.htm
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:11 PM   #49
blind dog

[QUOTE=Jon Fuller;186823]And how about the Williams-Hawkes 25 year old revenger vs Deans new 50' 4 engine outerlimits. 15k vs 750k.

yeah thats a very different example and they are polls apart. anyway if there can be a marathon race from weymouth thats got to be a good thing.it used to be a good race venue and i see no reason why it cant be again.we need another marathon race to try and make somesort of series .i guess people will allways have different opinions on the entry fee but it doesnt seem exspensive
Old 10-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #50

[QUOTE=blind dog;186828]
Quote:
And how about the Williams-Hawkes 25 year old revenger vs Deans new 50' 4 engine outerlimits. 15k vs 750k.

yeah thats a very different example and they are polls apart. anyway if there can be a marathon race from weymouth thats got to be a good thing.it used to be a good race venue and i see no reason why it cant be again.we need another marathon race to try and make somesort of series .i guess people will allways have different opinions on the entry fee but it doesnt seem exspensive
Wise words mate. Stick us an entry & cheque in the post.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #51
numbskull

Quote:
yeah thats a very different example and they are polls apart.
Indeed, and swipes is an unusually expensive one off for the smallest class in fleet, and Vee's boat is a second hand yank boat from existing moulds, also worlds apart.

The 'average' E boat is a considerably cheaper boat to buy/build & run, than the 'average' A boat.

Guess we'll have to wait & see how it pans out.

You sure you don't have a vested interest in cheap 'upper' class entries?

Old 10-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #52
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post

Wise words mate. Stick us an entry & cheque in the post.
Have we not entered yet?

oops!

Old 10-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #53

Quote:
Have we not entered yet?

oops!
You did 2 months ago - Blind Dog is the one of the last!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #54

Jon,
can we please put aside our personal distain for each other, it is well documented and open for all to see.

I am not "using" this forum for anything other than promoting a race to those Marathon Racers who are members of this forum.
Any sarcastic remarks you may feel are directed towards yourself are unintentional on my part as it does not further the objectives of this thread or benefit the objectives to which I aim, I am happy to discuss anything regarding this thread with you in person so as to forward the aims and purpose of "Our" sport and I welcome your comments with regard to fee's classes etc. As long as it is for the betterment of the sport.

Indeed we "will have to wait and see how it pans out", many racers (myself included) have suffered this year as a result of the credit crunch and I can see this period of uncertainty continuing for at least another year. however, it is my intention to, as far as I can, to offer a race at a competitive price.

It is up to each individual to decide if they can race or not - for what ever reason. All I can do is offer the opportunity to do so.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #55
numbskull

You've been pushing this race on this forum (no idea why, when you have your own) for some time and I haven't said a word to you.
You asked if we were intending to enter, I said I didn't know, it's up to Nick and simply passed a comment that I/we don't like blanket entry fees.
You've taken offence to that opinion, taking it as a challenge to your vast knowledge & experience, even though it's been the way since the first races 50 years ago, and chose some of your usual sarcastic tone.

Spare me the back peddling bullshit.

I think it's best if I stay away from this thread, and you control your gob and refrain from any comments or baiting.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #56

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:
Look Chaps,
I am just a Guy who is trying (Against All Odds) to Organise a Race for Marathon Boats, I may not be perfect, I may not get it right, But I am passionate about this race, IT WILL GO AHEAD, and hopefully it will be fun for all concerned.

I Don’t want to get involved in Politics regarding Cost/Value, This start Venue or that, This Course or That, ETC ETC ETC

I Have only Had TWO OFFERS OF HELP regarding this Race and those were from Barrie and Sheena Williams - and when you consider what they have endured in the past year that is a monumental gesture of assistance.

So Chaps - Cut me Some Slack, it may be different next year... but just Allow me to try "Please"
I can be available to assist on Race Day (Sunday ?) Martin.
While I can help out behind a microphone, I can do other things if needed.
Pls advise me (Ex UKOBA member).
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin The Talker View Post
I can be available to assist on Race Day (Sunday ?) Martin.
While I can help out behind a microphone, I can do other things if needed.
Pls advise me (Ex UKOBA member).
Thanks Martin.
A Ray or sunshne, on you are a rain of sunshine on a somewhat rainy day

Cheers Martin
Old 10-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #58

838]you've been pushing this race on this forum (no idea why, when you have your own) for some time and I haven't said a word to you.[/QUOTE]
I am simlpy trying to reach as larger audience as possible Jon, to promote this race, and Boatmad is merely a vehicle which attracts a large audience of racers.
Quote:
You asked if we were intending to enter, I said I didn't know, it's up to Nick and simply passed a comment that I/we don't like blanket entry fees.
You've taken offence to that opinion, taking it as a challenge to your vast knowledge & experience, even though it's been the way since the first races 50 years ago, and chose some of your usual sarcastic tone.
Jon, I haven’t taken offence to your statement or taken it as a challenge, I merely stated the costs were incurred on a per capita basis, perhaps next year with my increased understanding this will change, but for this year the costs are set.

Quote:
Spare me the back peddling bullshit.
I will be at Cowes lets discuss this then, in a more harmonious atmosphere as I am not back peddling or proffering bullshit - just trying to organise a race.. but as I said I am open to ALL contributions

Quote:
I think it's best if I stay away from this thread, and you control your gob and refrain from any comments or baiting.
Jon, Please, I am not baiting you -why would I, it serves no useful purpose.

I truly do hope the Swipes Team enter the race as its all about racing and not always about point scoring, otherwise what’s the point in Racing..

In Jon's words "After all is said and done, a lot more is said than done" Wise words Indeed..
Old 11-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #59
numbskull

Just seen this, and it's wrong.

If you find a race populated by mainly large boats, you'll be needing considerably more marina space (just ask what cowes costs) which will need paying for, and the same goes for the crane required. Red FPT or Kerakol fuelled will weigh getting on for 10 tonnes, Gordon, Darren, us etc, are probably all under 2.5. But as I said, It's not just about the outgoings, like it or not, the budget needs to be met and the 'ability to pay' system not only works, but in most cases, those in the big teams are fairly happy to accept it (ask Vee!) you'll also find that when buzzi / Bohinc arrive with trucks, motorhomes, workshop vehicles etc, you'll be needing to pay for the space for them to sit on. You're unlikely to need that space for the likes of us, or the other small class boats.

Anyway, you're in the driving seat, and I've made my point. So I'll keep out of it.

Quote:
Jon, In a way I agree with you, but the mooring fees are the same no matter what class, the scrunineers fees are the same, the RYA Calendar fee is the same, The Marshals costs are the same, .

Old 11-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #60
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

I think we will probably enter, but at the rate things are changing I think I'll wait until the music stops and I have a boat to race!

We decided last night that it really is pointless trying to get to Cowes, so this race will be our only one this year, very disappointing but sh1t happens.

Just one question on the entry fees - why change the system that every other race uses? ClassIII does it that way - all of the marathon and UIM races have the same system that has been working for any number of years.

IMHO If it ain't broke don't mess with it!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote