Boatmad.com

Go Back   Boatmad.com > Boat Mad | Speed Zone > Historic
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 29-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #101

Missiles / condoms

...There's got to be a good funny there, only I'm too tired / slow / brain-dead to think of a witty reply (like: "best not to get them mixed-up"... or, "i'd like a giant, missile-sized condom please..." etc., etc.!)

Thanks, Graham. I will certainly follow that up... definitely worth a try..! Would be good to get the boat "looking the part".

If I suddenly disappear, you'll know that certain mysterious security services have caught-up with me.... after making enquiries to companies, such as: "excuse me, have you got any old missile-making equipment lying about...? "

Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #102

Exhaust Cowl

Let me know the dia and length of the cowl.I may be able to put some feelers out re manufacture and cost.

FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #103

Cowl and backing plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
Let me know the dia and length of the cowl.I may be able to put some feelers out re manufacture and cost.
Great stuff.. I'll have a measure-up tomorrow. I know that the stainless steel backing-plate is over a metre long, because I was looking at making it myself... trouble is that it also tapers-out wider towards the stern, though I'm sure you'll work it out...! Would this have also had something heatproof / or a heat-dispersant protective layer behind, to protect the GRP?

I can give you the dimensions and if you need me to, can trace a template to post to you - all the bolt holes are still there along the hull...

No need to email you any pictures... I think most of them originate from you!

Thankyou Graham, you're a star!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:14 AM   #104
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

It really wouldn't be at all difficult to produce a plug & mould for these exhaust cowls.

relatively inexspensive too

Some hard sandable foam (like the stuff u stick flowers in) car filler, and a small quantity of durabuild or similar. you'd soon have a plug.

If you're intending to paint the boat, and pods, you won't even need to get a particularly good finish on the plug. could just use a load of PVA release agent instead of a high finish & wax.

Some chopped strand matt and resin and you have a mould....

As long as your water cooling is dumping water into the exhaust, your stainless backing plate would be just fine. many exhaust pipes and silencer boxes on wet exhaust systems are made of GRP.

The job would also be a good learning exercise for the coming glasswork with the deck etc.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #105

MM side exhausts

All very fine Jon,until you get a s.w.inlet blockage and the exhaust water cooling goes kaput.Got the `t` shirt on that one.
I thought Ian was actually trying to make dummy cowls that looked like the original in stainless,being as he may only fit a single engine with transom exhausts.
A similar side exhaust arrgt was fitted on Highland Fling where we had a midship engine with straight exhausts out through the sides.The waterjacketed exhausts went through asbestos!!!! lined holes in the wood topside sandwiched between stainless plates which were in turn asbestos padded against the topside.All very belt and braces but when the exhaust cowls began to smoulder due to water jacketing starvation,it saved the topside going up.Looking back we did some crap things at the time.
Even `Gee` and `Ghost Rider` had similar arrgts with the backing plate extended to protect the topsde from all the shit and gravy coming out the cowl.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #106
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
All very fine Jon,until you get a s.w.inlet blockage and the exhaust water cooling goes kaput.Got the `t` shirt on that one.
This is true, but if that happens, and he doesn't notice, a scorched outer cowl will be the least of his worries.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #107

Belt and Braces...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
The job would also be a good learning exercise for the coming glasswork with the deck etc.
Agreed, Jon ...was going to start with the engine hatches and air intakes / cowls by way of practice!

My Dad's quite an expert on fibreglass and has made loads of stuff (though, admittedly, not a complete boat)...he's just getting a bit too old and infirm (aren't we all!). Lots of "ooh, you don't want to do it like that" (Harry Enfield..) advice though...

I'll post some pictures of the (remaining) deck sections soon... they're balsa sandwich!!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #108

Belt and Braces...This Time!

Sorry, got premature with the title there...

I quite like a "belt and braces" approach, just in case I don't notice anything amiss..!

Ian Toll told me that Magnum Tornado (Balestrieri / Pruett) effectively "sank themselves" by not noticing the lack of spray of the overspill / venting (whatever) from the full ballast tank in the very rough '68 C-T-C... They were obviously a bit busy duelling with Surfury and also didn't notice that the ballast tank control was still at "fill"... she was still pumping... the tank side had come away from the inside of the hull and they just filled-themselves-up with seawater...

So it's possible that even an experienced crew might not notice things in a rough race... what chance have I got?!!

Would be nice to replicate the side exhaust cowls in stainless if possible... dunno about the asbestos! (what else is there?) ...who knows? if I win the lottery or "she" lets me dip into my pension, might have a second mercruiser (in tandem, of course!)

Need to think about this one...
Old 01-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #109

Asbestos?

Don`t concern yourself about the asbestos,that was back in the days where that was the norm in ship/boat building.Thermal pads and lagging are now the thing.Trawl the internet.On the last Gas Turbine superyacht ,we had pads as used in the space shuttle,but that is an extreme.Do you need all this anyway if they are dummy.Sounds like some forward planning costwise might be the main priority,before bounding off on arrangements that may not be required.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #110

You bet your sweet asbestos...

Quite right Graham.. got enough expense to worry about (will just bear in mind having the capability if required)

Here's a picture of the offending ballast tank control ..as on a 28' Magnum

Photo via Charlie McCarthy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MMcockpitClose-up_ChMcCarthy b.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	22579  
Old 01-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #111

Jacks

One thing we WON'T be replicating...

Those horrendous Union Jacks will be significantly smaller and in proportion to the boat...

There's that (old!) bint with the feet (or possibly without) again!

...plus a close-up of the forward exhaust cowls
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Maltese_Magnum_Twin__1969_crop.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	22580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maltese_Magnum_Twin__Exhausts.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	22581  
Old 01-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #112

Measurements

Hi Graham, just been out to the boat...

The backing plate is 1550mm long (61" in English money) x 270mm high (10 5/8").. tapering-out to 280mm (11") high at the aft end...

Diameter of the exhaust exit hole (in the hull) is 105mm (4 1/8")

The cowl itself looks to have extended 550mm (21 5/8") from the for'ard end

If you could ask around and get an idea of price (ballpark will do..) I would be very grateful. I have a guy locally who is very good with stainless, but after expressing interest he seems to be avoiding me, so he probably doesn't want or need the work... or he's heard what a complete bastard I am! (only joking.. and I am good at paying-up, honest!)
Old 02-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #113

Under cover at long last...

Finally got the boat in the barn... (expletives deleted...!)

Might build a full-scale replica of the Great Pyramid, or possibly re-build Hadrian's Wall ...either would be quicker

Problem was the need to "over-build" the cradle due to the (comparatively) rough ground of the yard outside, estimating the load-bearing tolerances of the wood and allowing for full-load when (and if) deck, engine and running gear are fitted.

Anyway, can begin to make better progress now... and it has made a good start to the year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Moving MMII 009Lr.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	22854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moving MMII 012Lr.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	22855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moving MMII 021Lr.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	22856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moving MMII 015Lr.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	22857   Click image for larger version

Name:	MMII in barn 009Lr.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	22858  

Old 02-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #114

Interests: Offshore powerboats/Motor racing
Boat name: no
Boat make: no
Engines: no
Cruising area: no

Send a message via AIM to Black_Tornado Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Tornado
Just some frames of the boat from the video Run Sunward in those days in Naples and France.
Unfortunately the quality is poor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1967h.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	22859   Click image for larger version

Name:	France67c.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	22860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Medit67h.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	22861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Medit67k2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	22862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Medit67k11.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	22863  

Black_Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #115

Black Tornado does it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta28 View Post
One thing we WON'T be replicating...

Those horrendous Union Jacks will be significantly smaller and in proportion to the boat...
Now I can see why the jacks were so large... to cover-up the stripes..! (and who knicked the stars then? ..or is this a naval ensign? Where's that book of flags?!)

Thankyou Marco, these pictures are very interesting and will be very useful.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #116

Send a message via AIM to Black_Tornado Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Tornado
What Magnum?

Those red stripes sided with a dark blue vertical band and an oval sticker with the writing USA was used by Aronow on all of his boats in 1967 and on some other Magnums.
I have not followed a lot the thread and I have not understood that version you will make of the boat.
1967-Aronow-Maltese Magnum II? - 1968 and follow- British version?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #117

Here the only other three pics of the dark green Maltese Magnum II from my archive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DauphinD'Or67.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	22868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Naples67.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	22869   Click image for larger version

Name:	MalteseMmono.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	22870  
Old 03-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #118

Which version? ..indeed...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Tornado View Post
I have not followed a lot the thread and I have not understood that version you will make of the boat.
1967-Aronow-Maltese Magnum II? - 1968 and follow- British version?
I must confess to having a preference to the British "chin scratcher" version...!

This is how I (and many others) remember the boat, it is where the boat is located now and will hopefully be part of a revival, whereby some of the old, historic boats will be restored and cared-for...

Perhaps you are right, Marco.. A purist would "put her back to original" and, in reality, she's more likely to have that mechanical layout. Unless I can find sponsors / partners or increased funding it is probably the way to go...

However, boats "evolve" over the years and changes are made... Hah! just have to wait and see... The important thing is to make the deck as the original, not to destroy any historic features / evidence etc. and to keep options open by making it possible to have either version

If I can't make good progress (and it has to be "done right" or not at all..) I will have to find a good home for the boat... but NOT YET!

I'm sure there will be plenty of interest from the States if none is forthcoming on this side of the pond.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #119

Boat in the barn

Returning to the problems of moving the boat, there were some important lessons learned... again!

Due to the surfacing of the yard (hardcore + road planings / limestone scalpings) and the wet weather making it "soft going"... I knew we'd have trouble! So I needed larger diameter, wider wheels.

Scrounged some bent jockey wheels from local Ifor Williams dealer and made-up some half-decent ones (they were good!) bought a few cheap ebay ones (they were crap) and crossed fingers (always helps)

There was also the slight matter of being too mean to lay-out three hundred quid for 6 x 1-tonne-rated castors...all to move the boat a few yards! This money would be better spent on materials for the boat, surely?

Anyway.. (whatever Shirley thinks) thanks to having a Land Rover, Tractor, Tirfor Winch and a Pete, we got there... eventually!!

Got to concrete the yard (it was easy once on the barn floor), get some decent castors and / or wait for a dry spell...

My heartfelt thanks to my son-in-law, Peter Denyer (some of you will remember him helping me with the craning at Cowes) whose skill, determination and energetic assistance made this operation possible.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:13 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta28 View Post
I must confess to having a preference to the British "chin scratcher" version...!

This is how I (and many others) remember the boat, it is where the boat is located now and will hopefully be part of a revival, whereby some of the old, historic boats will be restored and cared-for...

Perhaps you are right, Marco.. A purist would "put her back to original" and, in reality, she's more likely to have that mechanical layout. Unless I can find sponsors / partners or increased funding it is probably the way to go...

However, boats "evolve" over the years and changes are made... Hah! just have to wait and see... The important thing is to make the deck as the original, not to destroy any historic features / evidence etc. and to keep options open by making it possible to have either version

If I can't make good progress (and it has to be "done right" or not at all..) I will have to find a good home for the boat... but NOT YET!

I'm sure there will be plenty of interest from the States if none is forthcoming on this side of the pond.
The thing most important for all those that love this sport as me I believe is to see guys like you save these boats.
My heart suffers in to know that two glorious boats are dying just here in Italy. I refferred me to the "my" Black Tornado Cig.36' and to the Tramontana. Unfortunately I don't have the money to sustain their restauration and not even the necessary space to host them.
I hope that soon someone saves them from a sad end.
Then my appreciation to you and those as you that with passion they hold in life these pieces of history of the sport.