Boatmad.com

Go Back   Boatmad.com > Boat Mad | Speed Zone > Historic
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #121

DO you have contacts in the states , which can be very useful??? if not PM me please.

ufix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #122

Contacts, USA

Apart from Magnum Marine and good ole Charlie McCarthy, I'd say not.... PM sent!

Apologies for the delayed response, my PC is down at the moment.

All the best, ian

Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #123

Getting there...

Nearly ready! Just waiting for a suitable outdrive...

See you at Cowes!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-April 1st 020.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	23962  
Old 01-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #124

The Labour Of Love

That`s the way to do it Ian.Keep quiet and just get on with it.

How about a stern shot to prove it`s not a cardboard cut out????
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #125

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

thats is very impressive,i thought you would be yrs in the making,well done
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
That`s the way to do it Ian.Keep quiet and just get on with it.

How about a stern shot to prove it`s not a cardboard cut out????
Doohh...!! Ya rumbled me!!

Take a look at the date everyone....
Old 01-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #127

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

git
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
i thought you would be yrs in the making,well done
Sorry Carl... and yes, your first instict was right - it WILL be years in the making.

I got bored with not being able to get on, with all the cold and damp in my open barn, so I made a "not quite a builder's model" to help get the proportions right...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2010-April 1st 024.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	23963   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-April 1st 002.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	23964  
Old 01-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta28 View Post
Sorry Carl... and yes, your first instict was right - it WILL be years in the making.

I got bored with not being able to get on, with all the cold and damp in my open barn, so I made a "not quite a builder's model" to help get the proportions right...

Err, just noticed that should read "your first INSTINCT was right.."

Don't get very long to edit, do you?
Old 03-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #130

I need glasses! I fell for it hook line and sinker! Your camera angle was perfect!!!
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #131

Boat name: salamis
Boat make: cheetah (not that cat thing), Invicta Jupiter 5.0
Engines: I/B VP
Cruising area: littlehampton

Best April 1st for years and a pretty good model to boot. The small one is a work of art in itself.

Rob (Salamis)
robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #132

A Very Cruel Thing To Do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
The small one is a work of art in itself.
Thanks, but it's backfired on me nicely... I now feel terribly guilty for having (albeit very temporarily!) raised the hopes and expectations of the historic powerboat world with this cruel hoax...

It's put the pressure on me to deliver and i must now crack-on with the full-size one and make THAT a work of art!

At least it won't be so bloody fiddly to paint... (just alot more of it!)

As Graham said, I'll have to "keep quiet and just get on with it"
Old 22-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #133

I used to own Ultimatum, an Aronow Magnum 23, in 1973 and 1974. Her race number was 500.

She originally had a Daytona Scarab engine driving through a Casale V drive.

We re-engined her with a 496 CI lucas injected Weslake Mercruiser with a Sindive exhaust system producing 615 BHP and lowered the v drive and altered the shaft angle with the rudder and propellor on an outrigger. This enabled the driver and navigator to stand lower in the boat.

With this set up we finished 5th overall in the 1973 CTC. Two bulkheads had broken, the deck had split and one of the two fuel tanks had cracked. Also we had lost half the rudder.

She certainly was a wild ride, exaggerated by the single engine producing torque problems; you always ran with one trim tab down to counteract this but as you took off from the top of a wave the propellor would cause the boat to twist. The trick was to apply opposite on take off to avoid landing on the chine. Bekens have a good photograph of her in the 73 CTC fully airborne and running level. The picture in the 1973 CTC video with her stopped with the hatches open was at Torquay when we had to add extra oil to stop a surge problem in Lyme Bay.

In 1974 I bought an "open chamber" 496 ci out of Dantes Inferno with twin 1150 Holley Carbs producing a claimed 650BHP but we were plagued with transmission problems. At the start of 1974 we used this engine in Tangyes Tandem a 28ft Cougar but that is another story.

Ultimatum was fine boat, quite tricky to drive, but strong and immense fun.

If any one has any photographs of her from that period I am in the market.

James Tangye
J Tangye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #134

Cool! I remember your cat!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cowes p30.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	25082  
Old 22-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #135

Ultimatum pics

A couple attached,Now lets hear the ex-Miss Guernsey story,and if you have any colour pics of Tangyes Tandem please post them.

What you didn`t say,was that in the CTC 73,you were only 2 mins behind that lump of a boat `Passport Scotch Whisky` a 30ft heavy souter build,and 2 mins ahead of the 33ft Ford Persuader,in fairly breezy conditions.Not bad for a 23ft Magnum,with the same total horsepower.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ULTIMATUM (1974).jpg
Views:	341
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	25086   Click image for larger version

Name:	ULTIMATUM (1995).jpg
Views:	465
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	25087  
Old 23-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #136

Thank you for the photographs of Ultimatum and the kind remarks. I failed to mention that all the rigging and preparation work was carried out by RK Marine who still operate in the Hamble. It was their good quality engineering that enabled us to do well.

At the end of 1973 we had two options. One to fit Ultimatum with an outdrive or to buy another slightly bigger boat. Various options were looked at and we asked Cougar if they could build a class 2 inboard.

Unfortunately they were too busy with Class 3 boats and with Keith Dallas's class 2 boat Wiggins Teape. However James Beard and Clive Curtis mentioned that Miss Guernsey was sitting in the Channel Islands. She was 28 foot and was designed to have a Mercruiser + outdrive mounted in the wing. The main problem with the boat was, as James Beard said, that it lacked wetted area which made it hard to get onto the plane - upsea or upwind was no problem. An interesting point was that when we unpacked the Engine and outdrive from Dante's Inferno James noticed that the skeg on the bottom of the outdrive had been machined off ; this was common practise for contra rotating twin engined boats but was a disaster for a single engined boat which would "walk" sideways on the water and spin. After a bit of expert weldin the situation was rectified.

Once on the plane it went well and was timed on the measured mile on Southampton Water at 84mph with the wrong propellor but at sea in varying conditions it was a constant problem. The first race in the Solent, I cannot which one, went well and we were lying 2nd or 3rd overall when a bearing failed in the outdrive.

The second, and final race, was held at Lymington and went to Swanage and back twice The weather was appalling with huge seas off St Albans Head - so bad that the Coastguard rang the organisers to register their concern. After the first lap we threw the towel in and headed back to Cougar's yard at Netley. The tide was out so we could not get onto the trailer and thus left the boat on a mooring. The following morning Clive Curtis rang me to say Tangye's Tandem was semi submerged and when they finally got her ashore it was found that the transom had split.

So the engine was put into Ultimatum for the 74 CTC where the rudder broke off and Round the Island Race where the V drive failed.

Not a good year.

James T
J Tangye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #137

Thanks for the history lesson James! Keep it coming!
Old 23-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #138

Thanks James for your potted history.Fascinating stuff.This is what the history section should be all about.
Colin Banks had big plans for Miss Guernsey,and it really looked the business,but it wasn`t to be.It just shows,even the top designers can`t always produce a successful boat out of the box,but then again the ones who experiment with different configurations always run the risk of the occasional lemon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TANGYE`S TANDEM (1974).jpg
Views:	356
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	25095   Click image for larger version

Name:	MISS GUERNSEY (1971) 2.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	25096  
Old 28-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #139

Very interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tangye View Post
I used to own Ultimatum, an Aronow Magnum 23, in 1973 and 1974. Her race number was 500.

Ultimatum was fine boat, quite tricky to drive, but strong and immense fun.

If any one has any photographs of her from that period I am in the market.

James Tangye
Thanks for that, James.

I've been in touch with Jim Roddick, John Kennerley's co-driver / engineer and he said that MM II was a handful too, especially when chine-riding at 70...!

I went to see Ultimatum down at Littlehampton last year (at Hillyards, now under new ownership) and she's still in fair condition.... but looks like a fruit salad where they've sanded her down and revealed layers of paint. I gather the yard owner is going to restore her, but haven't heard any more of late.

Will try and look out the pictures I took...
Old 28-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #140

Trade-off

Taken from "Historic / Outboards for revenger 25".... a Mr F Fish said : "It`s about as unusual as seeing a Maltese Magnum Twin running past the RYS at Cowes 2010".

Now, that's a bit below the belt... or should i say waterline?

You haven't forgiven me for the model gag, have you?

Reason I've "been away" is partly due to my computer crashing - this time terminally - and because i've been busy keeping "her indoors" happy. It's a bit of a trade-off, you see... I've got the boat....

Trouble is, she should be "her outdoors" (she shudda married a farmer!) in that she wants to keep some animals... "whilst we've got the land"

So now i'm rearin' hogs fer Chrisstsakes...!!

Bin busy all spring fencing the paddock and building a sty (might move-in?!) though the research has continued...

I'm very disappointed I'm not able to (at the very least) exhibit her at Cowes, let-alone run past the RYS (and nearly make-it to Egypt Point), but i don't think it was ever going to be a realistic prospect. Offers of help / advice / funding have been very few (well, apart from your help with the exhaust cowl attempt, non-existant, actually), so it looks like I'm on-me-own!

So, rather than rush in (nothing against Russians, mind) and make a balls of it, I've been "husbanding my resources" (i.e. being bloody mean) until i have the wherewithall to do it properly. Rather like JF's avatar/quotation/thingy about "a lot more is said than done" ...I've been going on the philosophy of "do it properly, or not all"... Consequently, up until now, there's been rather a lot of not-at-all...!

Desperate to get-on with it now... Bacon sandwich, anyone?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2010 Smokey an Streaky 014crop (Small).jpg
Views:	191
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	25120   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Smokey an Streaky 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	191
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	25121   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Smokey an Streaky 045 (Small).jpg
Views:	183