Boatmad.com

Go Back   Boatmad.com > Boat Mad | Speed Zone > Historic
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 18-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #281

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

you guys are doing such a good job with old damaged photos - will have to see what else I can find from the old photo boxes!

Old 18-10-2010, 09:58 PM   #282

Interests: Offshore powerboats/Motor racing
Boat name: no
Boat make: no
Engines: no
Cruising area: no

Send a message via AIM to Black_Tornado Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Tornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
A bit more info has come to light.

As drawn March 1971.
From the attic

BTW I wrote to Castoldi about the red and yellow boats but by the moment no answer(as usual).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	castoldijet74resiz.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	27484  

Black_Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #283

Brilliant..!

A very rare and historic picture.

Thankyou for sharing that with us, Marco...
Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2010, 03:03 AM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Bontoft View Post
A couple of photos from the sat evening pre race , got alot more of dry martini but having a nightmare with file sizes I'll get them on eventually.
Sorry, A month late. It was really great to have my dads brother Jim and his son Alan in attendance at Cowes, They made the journey from Lincolnshire. As most of you will know this race for me was in memorance of my late dad, "Alf" Bontoft and their presence made it all the more special. Thanks guys. Hope you can make it in 2011.
Mike Bontoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #285

Amongst the cobwebs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Tornado View Post
From the attic
Found this in mine...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Castoldi Jet PB&W 75 (Large).jpg
Views:	417
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	27655  
Old 29-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #286

Sister hull.. (he said, ...carefully)

One of the other Planatecs...

January 1974: This is the first ABO, the one that delaminated in a race in South America.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ABO launch PB-UK Jan74 (Large).jpg
Views:	266
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	27656   Click image for larger version

Name:	ABO PB-UK Jan74 (Large).jpg
Views:	314
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	27657  
Old 30-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #287

On the verge of visiting the `green` room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UNOEMBASSY (Portland 2010).jpg
Views:	408
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	28416  
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #288

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
On the verge of visiting the `green` room.
I think Mike Mantle had been into the BBC Green Room prior to the race -
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #289

Green Room

We did indeed visit the Green Room in a fairly abrupt manner. Mantle chuntered some tosh about the bow not having enough buoyancy and no wonder they modded that design etc etc from which I inferred he somehow objected to being underwater with shards of perspex slicing around. To which I replied that throttle open is levers forward and throttle back is lev.........!!
Rob Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Gray View Post
We did indeed visit the Green Room in a fairly abrupt manner. Mantle chuntered some tosh about the bow not having enough buoyancy and no wonder they modded that design etc etc from which I inferred he somehow objected to being underwater with shards of perspex slicing around. To which I replied that throttle open is levers forward and throttle back is lev.........!!
Nothing like having an expert on board.If you had been in a cigarette (like what MM has) the boat would have been the best riding boat imaginable.
You should have pointed out the sister boat (Abo) has done the equivalent of Cowes to Cape Horn in mileage.Not bad for a crap boat.

Those seas looked particularly short and steep,even Mr.Buzzi was corkscrewing about trying to make progress.

What you want is a Marathon `B` Scorpion rib. A Marathon `D` scorpion will give a CUV a run for it`s money,but then again I hear your into ribs anyway.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #291

Interests: Boats, Cars.
Boat name: Splash 4
Boat make: Hunton
Engines: Mercruiser 640
Cruising area: Poole, Solent

Cuv/ Scorpion

What you want is a Marathon `B` Scorpion rib. A Marathon `D` scorpion will give a CUV a run for it`s money,but then again I hear your into ribs anyway.[/QUOTE]

Graham, you traitor ! I am sure that you know the reasons why we were a little sluggish: No Fwd tank, props way too big and a very de-hydrated throttleman ...
But of course we didn't run out of fuel within sight of the finish; we were using him as a pace boat in the knowledge that we could nip by in the final run up the Solent.
Sounds easy doesn't it ...

But then 103.something MPH on Coniston shows the old girl's real pace, must be the fastest CUV ever ?
Pennpromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Gray View Post
Well my old friend Mike Mantle wouldn't like to drink to much sea water as he only likes alcohol.
My experience with throttling Shead's designed boats from 34ft up to 41ft which is a lot, none of them have ever gone Green on the deck, !!!! I think it's down to not enough open throttle and going to slow.
Jim Brooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brooker View Post
Well my old friend Mike Mantle wouldn't like to drink to much sea water as he only likes alcohol.
My experience with throttling Shead's designed boats from 34ft up to 41ft which is a lot, none of them have ever gone Green on the deck, !!!! I think it's down to not enough open throttle and going to slow.
There speaks a man of experience,although having greenies shoot up through the tunnel connection on the Goldrush cat must have been a bit of a drag.

BTW Simon,I was in a `Daredevil` type windup mode re the rib v cinzano,but then again Hot Lemon seems to be Cinzano`s nemesis over the years,and anyway I would have thought you would welcome a cosier ride considering all the bashing youv`e taken over the years.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #294

Quote:
I would have thought you would welcome a cosier ride considering all the bashing youv`e taken over the years.
I was just thinking,when Don raced Unowot in 1973,they used to called them the `Geriatics`.

Don was 37yrs old,Harry must have been mid forties,and then Ronnie was the elder statesman.

Not to dissimilar from Cinzano`s crew,with of course Eric as the elder statesman.

Nice to have a term of endearment.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #295

[QUOTE=FLYING FISH;195274]There speaks a man of experience,although having greenies shoot up through the tunnel connection on the Goldrush cat must have been a bit of a drag.

You have a good memory Graham
Yes it was quite a experience all that water coming up through the tunnel, but 20ft of 30mm rubber which had been push out of the tunnel with the force of water and whipping about in the air was a bit more frightening
Jim Brooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #296

More madness

Well speaking of Ribs, Bontoft forced me to buy one for the RB 2011 which will now be the RB 2012 and then the Monte Carlo if I am still not in the orthopaedic ward. When it arrived it looked like a boat. Now it looks like an Airfix kit but I am hugely encouraged to be told that we can improve the whatsit that actuates the confercarator which is hooked to the thingummy. What is more encouraging is that each of these parts only costs the equivalent of a new car - so that's a huge relief.
Rob Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennpromo View Post
What you want is a Marathon `B` Scorpion rib. A Marathon `D` scorpion will give a CUV a run for it`s money,but then again I hear your into ribs anyway.

we were using him as a pace boat in the knowledge that we could nip by in the final run up the Solent.

Us class D rubber tub chaps will have to remember that for the future... Class B 12m Scorpion rubber tub, thats got to be the way to go..
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #298

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
we were using him as a pace boat in the knowledge that we could nip by in the final run up the Solent.

Us class D rubber tub chaps will have to remember that for the future... Class B 12m Scorpion rubber tub, thats got to be the way to go..

I had heard the 12m Scorpion was on the way but what size diesels will push that up to Cinzano speed?
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
I had heard the 12m Scorpion was on the way but what size diesels will push that up to Cinzano speed?
ML.
You could probably put 2 X 650hp FPT in there and be competitive,aka Kerakoll.

A few facts taken from the timings on the pics I shoot.

CTC09 Anvil Ist pass Hot Lemon 11.04, Cinzano 11.07
Anvil 2nd pass 13.37 13.41

South Coast Marathon 09
Anvil 1st pass HL 11.22 Cinzano 11.16
Anvil 2nd pass 13.04 12.53

Cowes 100 2010
Anvil 2nd pass HL 10.33 Cinzano 10.32

CTC 2010
Portland 1st pass Cesa 0941
Kerakoll 0942
Microlink 0942
Cinzano 0945
Hot Lemon 0945
Grey Ghost 0946

2nd pass Cesa 1243
Kerakoll 1247
Microlink 1250
Cinzano 1306
Hot Lemon 1308
Grey Ghost 1312

When things are going right as SCM 09 then Cinzano should have the beating of a scorpion,but as you can see from the CTC 2010 timings,boats like Microlink with 2 X Ilmors (1400hp) only have to have some trouble and boats like Kerakoll (2 x FPT 1300hp) can be right up there.It would appear even Buzzi wasn`t as far ahead as you would think with twice the hp of Kerakoll,for his engine problem was after the 2nd pass off Portland.So it just shows that with a couple of reliable diesels one can quite often be competitive when the high speed petrols hit the slightest of trouble.
Old 13-12-2010, 05:02 AM   #300

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

That's a pretty good tip Graham for anyone thinking of the Cowes to Monte-Carlo and something I can pass on when asked the question, which is happening a lot.

As usual, thoughts proved by facts. Thank you!
ML.

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote