Boatmad.com

Old 01-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #1901
The Doc

and what about all the video footage & pics? will anyone get access to them or will they be locked away?

Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:24 AM   #1902

Send a message via Skype™ to ciao!

No idea!

ciao! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:23 AM   #1903
The Doc

how gay do you look there rusty?

mind you though, I'mquite impressed your school shirt still fits
Old 02-07-2008, 03:08 AM   #1904

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
and what about all the video footage & pics? will anyone get access to them or will they be locked away?
Give me a break Chaos, only just got back and still trying to recover, I am an OldMan you know!

Still a thousand things to do to wrap up the show before I go away on holiday for a break but I will tell you one thing.

I personally have 600 pics of the race some taken from the helicopter as we were filming and other stuff in the pits. When and where I am going to upload all that stuff I have not idea right now. Also, we have a huge amount of film footage, some 25 hours worth most of which was taken from the helicopter although there is also a number of interviews with crews and individuals. Some of this we let the BBC have copies of, not much though, however it was always my intention to make a film of the RB08 and that is why we had Ben the Cameraman from Top Gear on board all the way round the race. He did an amazing job and we have footage which will stun everyone. This footage will just make your jaw drop it's so good. We were filming out in the middle of the Irish Sea and at all of the starts and finishes with footage of every boat that raced at every venue. The racers will tell you that we almost sat on their decks with the helicopter filming them as they were racing! Our pilot was simply awesome. (We have great footage of Jon and Nick slowly but surely overtaking the 28ft Phantom) We also had Chris Davies on board all the way round and he must have a thousand high res pics available if anyone wants them.

With regard to the film. It is our intention, when I get back, to work on editing it into a 90 minute Documentary for release onto TV in the Autumn, which channel is not certain yet. It will then also be released onto a double DVD for sale to you guys.

We will also run the film to the racers at a special showing for all members of the Round Britain Race Club. Just an excuse for another bash like Monday night's prize giving party really. Apparently they were celebrating up until 3am long after I left. The party ended up with over 700 people coming, 10% of which gate crashed I think.

Chris Davies has all the pictures of the prize giving. Even I haven't seen them, yet!!!

Will do a full summery of the race later.

So my day and night job is not over! Some pics attached.
MDL

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3447.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	16676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3464.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	16677   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3533.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	16678   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3517.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	16679  
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:14 AM   #1905
The Doc

that all sounds fantastic Mike.......... i'll wait with great anticipation (its all us non-racers have to cling on to you understand!)

Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #1906

I hope the footage of us running from Brighton to Portsmouth or running into Edinburgh makes the cut as the boat was really flying along.

Cheers

Mark
Old 02-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #1907

Interests: photography
Cruising area: Pevensey Bay / Solent

well done on a fantastic job Mike, was a great race and can't wait to see the dvd.

had the entire factory enterained with the progress or non progress of the competitors,

so whens the next one??
Tom Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Docta View Post
Great to see Team Jersey putting in a storming last leg! I know they had problems along the way but good to see that they made it to the end and with a first in class

Thank you The Docta, the guys did great and over the last few legs after having terrible luck the first half of the race ( non of which was mechanical )
but mostly minor problems . It had been reported that we blew engines and at one point we also hit a rock ... ermm both of which were untrue , however our blog on our website page was updated daily with the correct facts.

Team Jersey entered this race against all odds, no one thought we could make it around britain with XR2's on the B28 ... Well we did it and the 10 members of the team worked their @sses off to make it happen...
It has been an amazing journey for all those involved in this event & we would like to thank the organisers, the safety crews, & the hundreds of volunteers who helped make this event happen. RB4 was a great class with wonderful competitors ( one in particular , lol ) who helped each other out in times of need. Well done to the winners and all those who participated ..

Roll on London - Monte Carlo .......... Oops sorry Toby did i not mention that's the next one your doing ???

Julia Aka The Boss -

Julia D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #1909

Interests: Boating, Shooting,Fishing
Boat name: Oklahoma / Project Racing Team
Boat make: Aqua Star 33 - a tug!
Engines: Perkins Sabre 300
Cruising area: Round Britain

Originally Posted by verytricky
Ummmmmn - Dont know why or what the story is - can someone enlighten me? I congratulated James on winning and asked about his 'bit of tatt' from Bananashark.

I was told he did not win the Bananashark trophy. Any ideas why? I thought he was the fastest RIB in the race?

Anyone?

I make Venturer the 6th RIB...

1 333 Blue FPT
2 22 Lionhead Rib 1
3 9 Vilda Rib 2
4 55 Braveheart III Rib 3
5 2 Hot Lemon Rib 4
6 7 Going Lean
7 4 Hardleys Rib 5
8 111 Venturer Rib 6

Am I missing something? no i have just spoken to race control they dont understand either they are looking into and will let us know
22 Lionhead the fasted rib around britian
Old 02-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #1910

Interests: racing(middle east class 3 6l)
Boat name: still no worries
Boat make: phantom18
Engines: 2.5 efi
Cruising area: salcombe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia D View Post
Thank you The Docta, the guys did great and over the last few legs after having terrible luck the first half of the race ( non of which was mechanical )
but mostly minor problems . It had been reported that we blew engines and at one point we also hit a rock ... ermm both of which were untrue , however our blog on our website page was updated daily with the correct facts.

Team Jersey entered this race against all odds, no one thought we could make it around britain with XR2's on the B28 ... Well we did it and the 10 members of the team worked their @sses off to make it happen...
It has been an amazing journey for all those involved in this event & we would like to thank the organisers, the safety crews, & the hundreds of volunteers who helped make this event happen. RB4 was a great class with wonderful competitors ( one in particular , lol ) who helped each other out in times of need. Well done to the winners and all those who participated ..

Roll on London - Monte Carlo .......... Oops sorry Toby did i not mention that's the next one your doing ???

Julia Aka The Boss -

hi julia
just a quick question did you get around on just two powerheads?
still no worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #1911

Interests: raceing
Boat name: cider daze
Boat make: cougar 28
Engines: 200 xs
Cruising area: Devon

I think Venturer was first home but missed the finish gate , this may be why
cider daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #1912
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciao! View Post

No idea!
NOT referring to JF I hope......
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #1913

Interests: Anything with an engine
Boat make: Buzzi 40ft Rib
Engines: Seatek 10.3 Turbo Diesel
Cruising area: South Coast

We (Venturer) were indeed the first rib in having had a great race with the two Goldfish Ribs all the way from Dover, which should be well documented from the helicopter footage!

Unfortunately we did miss the mark, as we came round the tower we saw the submarine barrier which was the undoing of so many boats and turned for the finish line thinking we had made the course, the buoy and the finish line were quite close and so was the barrier. It was one of those 'look out there is the submarine barrier' as you are travelling at 80mph in a boat that takes about 1/4 of a mile to turn reactions and cost us 7th place as well as our deserved 1st place for the leg!! As we crossed the finish line I realised we had missed the buoy which was then confirmed by Paul and Miles who pulled up alongside telling us to go back and complete the buoy. However remembering the previous leg where several people missed the finish gate and were not penalised we thought we would not be heavily penalised either. Alas not we had 1 hour added to our time and moved from 7th to 8th overall and 15th on that leg!!

So not only did we suffer from the muster area being very shallow where we sucked up seaweed during the muster costing us 2.5 hours, we lost an hour on the way back in the same spot!! Cant help thinking that is not the ideal place to start and finish an offshore race considering the amount of trouble it caused many teams. But hey ho its all over now and we are not complaining as the seaweed episode gained us a Fiat 500! Still would have traded that for 1st place overall all day long!!! You live and learn.....some water filters and preparing all the navigation in advance will be the order of the day next time round, if we are not claiming our pensions when the next one is run
tecno_40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #1914

Interests: surface piercing props, stepped hulls, air entrapment hulls
Boat name: none
Boat make: PetterTintorera
Engines: Yamaha 90
Cruising area: West Coast of Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1DEY View Post
Originally Posted by verytricky
Ummmmmn - Dont know why or what the story is - can someone enlighten me? I congratulated James on winning and asked about his 'bit of tatt' from Bananashark.

I was told he did not win the Bananashark trophy. Any ideas why? I thought he was the fastest RIB in the race?

Anyone?

I make Venturer the 6th RIB...

1 333 Blue FPT
2 22 Lionhead Rib 1
3 9 Vilda Rib 2
4 55 Braveheart III Rib 3
5 2 Hot Lemon Rib 4
6 7 Going Lean
7 4 Hardleys Rib 5
8 111 Venturer Rib 6

Am I missing something? no i have just spoken to race control they dont understand either they are looking into and will let us know
Congratulations with a fantastic race result James. Been following your progress with Tim B in the office over that last week. Nerve cracking stuff.
How did the engines fair up? Was it the sterndrives that failed?
Scand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:47 AM   #1915
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by cider daze View Post
I think Venturer was first home but missed the finish gate , this may be why
First rib home on the last leg of seven legs is not the fastest rib around britian - which is what the trophy was given for....

And they did not quite get that right due to a dodgy start finish line.
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:18 AM   #1916

Congratulations

Just like to say Congratulationd & welldone to all teams & organisers..........what an achievement........you should all be very proud.

Cheers Paul
jbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:52 AM   #1917

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1DEY View Post

But were you the fastest in the rough
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:22 AM   #1918
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

They were pretty quick on the snotty first leg to Plymouth. 2nd overall home behind Drew & Jan.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by still no worries View Post
hi julia
just a quick question did you get around on just two powerheads?

Hiya Derek

Yeah we did , how unexpected is that ... the probs we had were the fuel line chaffing and then the stator going , the powerheads were fine still on now and running !

They boys did good ! Say good luck to Blacker for this wk end if you speak to him i know he flies out today but i not had chance to call him yet ..

Cheers

Julia
Julia D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #1920

Send a message via Skype™ to ciao!
Prize Giving photos now up - http://www.roundbritainrace.co.uk/prize.htm

ciao! is offline   Reply With Quote