Boatmad.com

Old 03-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #1921

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Extreme Brave Effort in the RB

It is important that the following is known to everyone.

The second leg of the RB08 was cancelled due to the fact that the weather forecast was saying that at Lands End and in the Bristol Channel there was a force 8 Gale raging gusting to force 9 at times with a 9 metre wave formation. To send 47 race boats out into that would have been unreasonable and sheer folley. The whole fleet therefore proceeded to Milford Haven by Road except for two boats. The Belgium 42 ft Cruiser Targa 42 and Maj Greg Marsden with his 7.5m RIB with a single 300hp Suzuki on the back.

Greg did not mention to us what was in his mind and we continued to move the whole of Race Control etc to Milford Haven assuming that he would do the same. However, during the night it was reported that his EPRIB had gone off and the Coast Guard went into panic mode. The next morning in Milford Haven, some 180 miles from Plymouth, Greg and his team materialises at the Pembroke Dock Pier Head in his RIB, soaked through to the skin and smiling. They had set off at 3am that morning at first light in this tiny RIB with no assistance determined to get to Milford Haven to re-join the fleet just in time for briefing. Greg then proceeded to race onwards to Bangor making their total trip for that day almost 400 miles. His EPRIB had gone off the day before even though it was strapped into his side pocket because it got so wet it thought it was under water!

In recognition for this extreme act of bravery and determination, which should put certain people on this web site to shame, but probably won't, we will have made a very special Trophy in recognition of his efforts. It's the very least we can do.
ML.

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #1922

Interests: boats, cars,film.f1 and anitques/paintings
Boat name: tba
Cruising area: south coast France and med

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
It is important that the following is known to everyone.

The second leg of the RB08 was cancelled due to the fact that the weather forecast was saying that at Lands End and in the Bristol Channel there was a force 8 Gale raging gusting to force 9 at times with a 9 metre wave formation. To send 47 race boats out into that would have been unreasonable and sheer folley. The whole fleet therefore proceeded to Milford Haven by Road except for two boats. The Belgium 42 ft Cruiser Targa 42 and Maj Greg Marsden with his 7.5m RIB with a single 300hp Suzuki on the back.

Greg did not mention to us what was in his mind and we continued to move the whole of Race Control etc to Milford Haven assuming that he would do the same. However, during the night it was reported that his EPRIB had gone off and the Coast Guard went into panic mode. The next morning in Milford Haven, some 180 miles from Plymouth, Greg and his team materialises at the Pembroke Dock Pier Head in his RIB, soaked through to the skin and smiling. They had set off at 3am that morning at first light in this tiny RIB with no assistance determined to get to Milford Haven to re-join the fleet just in time for briefing. Greg then proceeded to race onwards to Bangor making their total trip for that day almost 400 miles. His EPRIB had gone off the day before even though it was strapped into his side pocket because it got so wet it thought it was under water!

In recognition for this extreme act of bravery and determination, which should put certain people on this web site to shame, but probably won't, we will have made a very special Trophy in recognition of his efforts. It's the very least we can do.
ML.
I am very sorry to slightly disagree ML, determined and in the spirit of the event as with "Buro" the Targa 42,.

However to put to sea without informing YOU or the Organisers of the event was foolhardy, dangerous and I have to say could have been disasterous to ALL YOUR efforts to put on a safe race.

Thank god no Air sea rescue/lifeboat etc was launched...............would have cost thousands, and I feel your quote sends out the wrong message after all RS's efforts to run a safety concious event..

Appologies

https://www.englishgoldenretrievers.co.uk
TimB-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #1923

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Unreal or foolhardy ...what a Dunkirk Spirit
Old 03-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #1924
sit down shut up hold on

Interests: boats,cars anything with a motor
Boat make: just sold it
Engines: none

Send a message via Skype™ to SCOTT671
i do agree with you in part it was foolhardy but the crew must have had the trust in themselves and there boat . he was the only competitor to compleate the full course
SCOTT671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB-C View Post
I am very sorry to slightly disagree ML, determined and in the spirit of the event as with "Buro" the Targa 42,.

However to put to sea without informing YOU or the Organisers of the event was foolhardy, dangerous and I have to say could have been disasterous to ALL YOUR efforts to put on a safe race.

Thank god no Air sea rescue/lifeboat etc was launched...............would have cost thousands, and I feel your quote sends out the wrong message after all RS's efforts to run a safety concious event..

Appologies
Shame you don't know the full facts before making a comment we were told the race was suspended untill Milford. We had to make our own way from plymouth any way we can, many teams didn't even have trailers.

As your so bright i will let you work out what was dangerous. The clue is fuel
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #1926
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

What Tim is saying is, even though any boats going round by water were doing so on their own back, had there been a disaster, the RB08's name would have been acossiated with the affair and probably wouldn't have gotten the best press as a result.

I expect that by 3am things had calmed down quite a bit, the Irish sea was pretty sedate by the time we were on it at the start.

I wouldn't have gone round by water, but then I aint got a rib.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #1927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
What Tim is saying is, even though any boats going round by water were doing so on their own back, had there been a disaster, the RB08's name would have been acossiated with the affair and probably wouldn't have gotten the best press as a result.

I expect that by 3am things had calmed down quite a bit, the Irish sea was pretty sedate by the time we were on it at the start.

I wouldn't have gone round by water, but then I aint got a rib.
Don' forget Jon I have quite a few pics of you so be nice! This is one of you being famous for our film!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Round Britain 2008 2 159.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	16711  
Old 03-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #1928
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Quote:
Don' forget Jon I have quite a few pics of you so be nice! This is one of you being famous for our film!

I think JF's comments are being 'nice' and 'tactfull' in the situation. I hate to agree with Tim but... no - I just hate to agree with Tim.

Jon does have his camp pose down just right.....
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #1929

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

I wouldn't have gone round by water, but then I aint got a rib.[/QUOTE]

Ye, you can't float upside down!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #1930
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
I look feckin good in rubber eh!

jeesus, who the fkk dressed me that day.

Mike, are the high res pics from chris from the event going to be available for purchase?

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by verytricky View Post
I think JF's comments are being 'nice' and 'tactfull' in the situation. I hate to agree with Tim but... no - I just hate to agree with Tim.

Jon does have his camp pose down just right.....
I was joking Tricky because I have some seriously bad pics of Jon in his rubber which I will save for another day.

Jon. Chris must have a 1,000 high res pics of the race which I know he is selling. His cameras are fantastic as he gets the colour of the sea just right as Beken used to. Contact him for any. I am trying to get mine up on the web site before I go away but am having to put them on a CD for John. I must have about 350 but they are not as good as Chris's. He had the best position next to Ben the Cameraman in the Heli.
Mike
Old 03-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #1932

Boat make: Ring 25 Sportscruiser
Engines: Mercruiser 496 HO
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Jon. Chris must have a 1,000 high res pics of the race which I know he is selling. His cameras are fantastic as he gets the colour of the sea just right as Beken used to. Contact him for any.

Mike

Mike do you know how we view them, order them ?
GrahamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #1933

Send a message via Skype™ to ciao!
http://www.powerboatpix.co.uk/
ciao! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #1934

Boat make: Ring 25 Sportscruiser
Engines: Mercruiser 496 HO
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciao! View Post
Thanks
GrahamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB-C View Post
the organisers were taking no responsibility for the participants so don't see why they "should" go tell them their plans. It would have been prudent to inform the CG - which they may well have done.

To suggest that the boats did anything outwith the organisers expectations would be misleading. Afterall when they announced the cancellation they made clear that there would be 2 starts for the next leg - one for the road competitors and another for those arriving by sea after they get there.
Quote:
Thank god no Air sea rescue/lifeboat etc was launched...............would have cost thousands,
I assume that the CG managed to make VHF contact with them to establish that it was a false alarm.

As it is there were at least 2 lifeboat launches for the race anway.
poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #1936

Cruising area: UK

I would like to add to Julia's sentiments and thank one and all for a fantastic event on behalf of Team Jersey.

A B28 and a pair of XR2's we must have been bloody mad but it nearly worked and we did make it round!
TobyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:09 PM   #1937
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyC View Post
A B28 and a pair of XR2's we must have been bloody mad but it nearly worked and we did make it round!

Nope not so Mad 69 winner was 28' with 375 HP.... The cards have just gotta fall in the right direction

Edit: wish I had enough time to revamp that wet suit pic in photoshop tonight

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #1938

Cruising area: UK

will just have to wait and see what happen when the next hand is dealt then!
TobyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:46 PM   #1939

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyC View Post
I would like to add to Julia's sentiments and thank one and all for a fantastic event on behalf of Team Jersey.

Toby, Just found this shot of you taken out of the front window of the chopper taken at the start at Portsmouth. It's not too sharp I am afraid but you may be able to do something with it in photo shop.
ML.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Round Britain 2008 2 095.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	16713  
Old 03-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #1940

or this one ..
Attached Thumbnails