Boatmad.com

Old 15-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
Just for the record, now that the even is over and you have all seen what the irish "can do" are there many out there that wish they had not got caught up in politics and just basically went for it.
Sorry but what did the irish do. It was never a racer just a £4000 rally.

I believe there were many more teams that may of entered if the organisers wern't so complaincent.

Interesting why there was so little interest on this thread other than slagging of the rules.

Even the so called powers that be and JF hasn't made a constructive comment about the race

Very sad.

Marcus Marathon is F-ck-d with out you.

(

hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #222

Interests: Boats, Diving, Business
Boat name: Seawolf, Wolf
Boat make: 10m Humber Offshore & 8.5m Humber Offshore
Engines: Suzuki DF300's
Cruising area: Ireland & UK

Shallow Water

“What did the Irish Do?”

Well far from being complacent we organised and delivered on a successful event which was run under ISA and UIM International Marathon Rules.

6 Boats competed in the first ever Around Ireland Offshore Powerboat Race 2010. It is flippant to call it a Rally and then compliment Marcus on how Marathon Racing is nothing without him.

I am sure all the crews who took part in the race would love to hear their efforts being downgraded to a “rally”. Beware the Eric Smillie……….!

I know that all the Teams went to considerable expense to support their entry and prepare their boats for this Race. Yes, it may have been just six boats, and our hopes and expectations were of course much higher. That said, we all felt that The Around Ireland Offshore Powerboat race 2010 should run, would be run professionally and to all International standards and that it would be a successful event.

Some facts: Over 200,000 people joined in the fun in Galway during their 2 week Powerboat Festival built around Powerboats. Over 5,000 people turned out in Killybegs for the Killybegs Extreme festival and over 5,000 people turned out in Fenit for their Sea Breeze Festival. This is true community spirit on a wholesale scale. So what if there was only 6 boats, so what if you want to call it a Rally, In Ireland we celebrated Marathon Offshore Racing and we also celebrated Ireland. Get over it.

All the Crews worked together, played together, and helped out when support was needed. Team Cinzano like all the Teams put their money where there mouth is and worked tirelessly for over 2 months prior to the race to rebuild the boat and get to Ireland to compete. I shudder to think of the expense. For all the Teams who worked endlessly to get here and to compete, and dare I say it for all the teams who compete generally in marathon Racing it is very easy indeed for you to sit on your arse and call it a Rally.

Marathon Racing is far from broken. It is just getting going and what it needs is more spirit, enthusiasm and get up and go. Sitting at the PC perpetually moaning about the wrongs in the world will solve nothing.

It is obvious that the financial strains of Marathon Racing in the current economic climate have limited a lot of people’s capability to race as much as they would like to.

Yes, the Marathon Rules could do with some changes to suit the modern fleet.

Why not admit it and then look to find ways to over come all the issues. Marathon Race like RB11 or RB12 have the potential to be self financing but this requires commitment from the fleet. A build it and they will come mentality clearly does not work. It is very difficult to sell an event when you cannot determine what you are selling. In conclusion, to organise a successful event requires 2 sides, the organisers and a fleet of committed boats who will take part. Entry fees of £5-10k are simply unrealistic longer term and instead funding should be found from the communities the fleet will visit. Then you will see some changes.

Finally, I know that Cowes, RB11 and RB12 will all work endlessly to get over the line and hold a great and historic event. Why do we not all help with these events? Why are the organisers left constantly worrying about the event and enough entries when much more could be done by the community to support these few who put their reputations on the line. Give them support and join in. Or shut up.

Originally when Ireland started the idea of a race we had over 47 registered entries and we ended with 6. There was lots of chat on these forums about “would we, wouldn’t we”, blah, blah, blah. The same is happening with other races. Ireland never set out to catch anyone, we set out to deliver a good race and we did. As for the idea of being complacent, well we may have made msitakes, we are forgiven I hope, but The Around Ireland started with just 6 boats. How many did Cowes have 50 years ago. Everything has a beginning, hopefully Marathon racing will not have an end.

We will do it again in 2014, and we will work hard with our local communities such as Galway, Killybegs, Bangor, Waterford and Fenit, all of whom welcomed us with open arms and threw the biggest marine based parties you have ever seen.

If that is not enough advance notice then you’re out of luck.

Oh, and Ireland will bring a few boats and crews to Cowes. Come and meet us.

Justin Mc Inerney
The Irish Offshore Powerboat Racing Club.

macrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #223

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Very well done to you guys !! As you quite rightly say it is such a shame that the wannabees always seem to let us down !!
We will keep putting on events in the hope that one day just some of those that say they want to race will actually come out and show it !!
Old 16-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #224

Interests: Boats, skiing pets
Cruising area: wherever there is work!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrib View Post
“What did the Irish Do?”

Well far from being complacent we organised and delivered on a successful event which was run under ISA and UIM International Marathon Rules.

6 Boats competed in the first ever Around Ireland Offshore Powerboat Race 2010. It is flippant to call it a Rally and then compliment Marcus on how Marathon Racing is nothing without him.

I am sure all the crews who took part in the race would love to hear their efforts being downgraded to a “rally”. Beware the Eric Smillie……….!

I know that all the Teams went to considerable expense to support their entry and prepare their boats for this Race. Yes, it may have been just six boats, and our hopes and expectations were of course much higher. That said, we all felt that The Around Ireland Offshore Powerboat race 2010 should run, would be run professionally and to all International standards and that it would be a successful event.

Some facts: Over 200,000 people joined in the fun in Galway during their 2 week Powerboat Festival built around Powerboats. Over 5,000 people turned out in Killybegs for the Killybegs Extreme festival and over 5,000 people turned out in Fenit for their Sea Breeze Festival. This is true community spirit on a wholesale scale. So what if there was only 6 boats, so what if you want to call it a Rally, In Ireland we celebrated Marathon Offshore Racing and we also celebrated Ireland. Get over it.

All the Crews worked together, played together, and helped out when support was needed. Team Cinzano like all the Teams put their money where there mouth is and worked tirelessly for over 2 months prior to the race to rebuild the boat and get to Ireland to compete. I shudder to think of the expense. For all the Teams who worked endlessly to get here and to compete, and dare I say it for all the teams who compete generally in marathon Racing it is very easy indeed for you to sit on your arse and call it a Rally.

Marathon Racing is far from broken. It is just getting going and what it needs is more spirit, enthusiasm and get up and go. Sitting at the PC perpetually moaning about the wrongs in the world will solve nothing.

It is obvious that the financial strains of Marathon Racing in the current economic climate have limited a lot of people’s capability to race as much as they would like to.

Why not admit it and then look to find ways to over come all the issues. Marathon Race like RB11 or RB12 have the potential to be self financing but this requires commitment from the fleet. A build it and they will come mentality clearly does not work. It is very difficult to sell an event when you cannot determine what you are selling. In conclusion, to organise a successful event requires 2 sides, the organisers and a fleet of committed boats who will take part. Entry fees of £5-10k are simply unrealistic longer term and instead funding should be found from the communities the fleet will visit. Then you will see some changes.

Finally, I know that Cowes, RB11 and RB12 will all work endlessly to get over the line and hold a great and historic event. Why do we not all help with these events? Why are the organisers left constantly worrying about the event and enough entries when much more could be done by the community to support these few who put their reputations on the line. Give them support and join in. Or shut up.

Originally when Ireland started the idea of a race we had over 47 registered entries and we ended with 6. There was lots of chat on these forums about “would we, wouldn’t we”, blah, blah, blah. The same is happening with other races. Ireland never set out to catch anyone, we set out to deliver a good race and we did. As for the idea of being complacent, well we may have made msitakes, we are forgiven I hope, but The Around Ireland started with just 6 boats. How many did Cowes have 50 years ago. Everything has a beginning, hopefully Marathon racing will not have an end.

We will do it again in 2014, and we will work hard with our local communities such as Galway, Killybegs, Bangor, Waterford and Fenit, all of whom welcomed us with open arms and threw the biggest marine based parties you have ever seen.

Justin Mc Inerney
Hi

I would just like to say that I was not in Ireland but I so wanted to be and everyday that I spoke with Eric and Max(my son) they had nothing to say but how wonderful the whole of the event, crews and organisers were and the hospitality there were given was great. We all sit on our PC's and moan but how many of us get out there and do something about it. I say well done to Justin and all the organisers of the Round Ireland and if Eric is still racing in 2014 I will be there supporting all. So as Justin said "get over it".

Claire Smillie
Mrs Smillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #225

Interests: Cars, motorbikes & of course boats.
Boat name: 27 WEST
Boat make: Extreme 24
Engines: Volvo 502ci
Cruising area: Solent

Well said Mrs.Smillie.
VAGRANT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #226

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Have to say it looks like a great event and hopefully in the future it will grow and get the kind of entry it deserves.
Old 16-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #227
CINZANO 558

Interests: occasionaly work, if not out for boating
Boat name: CINZANO, Capriccio I+II and Propina
Boat make: CUV 38race, Sunseeker50 Cruiser, Sailingketch 55
Engines: race: ILmor, Cruise: Volvo D12, sail: Volvo D5
Cruising area: race:England, holiday: Mallorca, sailing: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
Wasn't there a discussion on here before about the 39ft CUV having a maximum design speed?

I know Alex Foster has always said that it was around the mid 90's and he should know as he was ejected out of one which was overpowered on the CTC race back in the late 1980's. Didn't it hook? Who knows the answer to that one - FF?

I metioned this to Marcus once before but by the expression on his face I don't think he believed me/the story! Time will tell.
ML.

Hello Mike long time no see/talk
like to meet you out at the race this time!!

To the topic.
Cinzano was running a while above 80 knots at least twice in the RI.
Both times I had the drives lower than in CTC2008 and the tabs not up but either level or minimal down.
Both driving was either with a 'breathing' and therefore 'long' sea state against, or with a choppy small sea from behind.

In both occasions higher trim could have given more than the 5200revs (up to 6.500 possible) we were running on.

I didn' t do it because it felt light when done so and there was no need to risk anything.
Sorry, but I still had the conversation above in mind, because Mr. Lloyd never talked nonsense to me!
But at the same time I do believe that there is not a construction speed limit on the CUV. Instead it is very crucial to have the matching balance for weight centre point and matching drive trim to keep control of the changing situation of the hull leaving the water to a further degree.

By the way we went to Rome to purchase Thuraya, but it was not in the state we'd liked it to be.
It turned out to be a 38 with a 1foot longer deck and 1 foot further aft transom, but clipped at the deep V for that foot. Putting the props that way much further aft into less disturbed water. (41 was a marketing thing)

Therefore a Box at the transom would be nice for us, but it meant lengthening the Jack shafts, too. Time and the fact that one is already very long prevented us from going that route by now.

If we had time to play a little in Ireland on less windy or flat but open waters, we could have found the best correlation of weight distribution and trim for going faster. I did notice though that all aft tanks full and trimming out were giving the nose some flighty feeling that is normal at those speeds to a certain extent, but not wanted on a long distance race.

On Southampton water we will try it again and it could well be, that we exceed the 90 knot digits without feeling loose after the homework is done.

I don't want to be ejected either and it is yes a 30 year old Boat that has no steps.

We know that the much lighter craft around, like the Fountain, or American Phantom, will still be quicker in top speed least for the weight also for the Design progress.
Still it is fun getting the old battle ship going that fast...
Inside it always feels faster then the sit down or canopied ones anyway and this is maybe the most exiting in going out in the Historic ones.

Best Regards
Markus Hendricks
Markus Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #228

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Hendricks View Post
Markus Hendricks
Yes indeed - too long. Well yes we are certainly trying hard to get the Ring 34 ready (Mike Ring has even "persuaded" me to work on the boat two days a week to earn my drive!) but of course we will not be anywhere near you as we are just two "Old Men" taking part just to enjoy ourselves!

I wish you well in your quest for the speed you are looking for. The only time you will need it in the CTC (IMHO) is in the run from Hurst to the line - everyone always puts the peddle to the metal over those last 15 miles.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Hendricks View Post

To the topic.
Cinzano was running a while above 80 knots at least twice in the RI.
Both times I had the drives lower than in CTC2008 and the tabs not up but either level or minimal down.
Both driving was either with a 'breathing' and therefore 'long' sea state against, or with a choppy small sea from behind.

In both occasions higher trim could have given more than the 5200revs (up to 6.500 possible) we were running on.

I didn' t do it because it felt light when done so and there was no need to risk anything.
Sorry, but I still had the conversation above in mind, because Mr. Lloyd never talked nonsense to me!
But at the same time I do believe that there is not a construction speed limit on the CUV. Instead it is very crucial to have the matching balance for weight centre point and matching drive trim to keep control of the changing situation of the hull leaving the water to a further degree.

By the way we went to Rome to purchase Thuraya, but it was not in the state we'd liked it to be.
It turned out to be a 38 with a 1foot longer deck and 1 foot further aft transom, but clipped at the deep V for that foot. Putting the props that way much further aft into less disturbed water. (41 was a marketing thing)

Therefore a Box at the transom would be nice for us, but it meant lengthening the Jack shafts, too. Time and the fact that one is already very long prevented us from going that route by now.

If we had time to play a little in Ireland on less windy or flat but open waters, we could have found the best correlation of weight distribution and trim for going faster. I did notice though that all aft tanks full and trimming out were giving the nose some flighty feeling that is normal at those speeds to a certain extent, but not wanted on a long distance race.

On Southampton water we will try it again and it could well be, that we exceed the 90 knot digits without feeling loose after the homework is done.

I don't want to be ejected either and it is yes a 30 year old Boat that has no steps.

We know that the much lighter craft around, like the Fountain, or American Phantom, will still be quicker in top speed least for the weight also for the Design progress.
Still it is fun getting the old battle ship going that fast...
Inside it always feels faster then the sit down or canopied ones anyway and this is maybe the most exiting in going out in the Historic ones.

Best Regards
Markus Hendricks
Come on Markus, you've got to enter Cinzano in the Harwich event, to test the boat further before Cowes and test Eric's navigating over 125 nm of the English channel even further. I'll send you an entry form.
Barrie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #230

Fountain Entered

Yeah,

Come on team Cinzano..... we have already entered ..... your rooster shadow.....!!!... Lol

We need Eric to show us a way through all that sand
Goinglean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #231
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinglean View Post
Yeah,

Come on team Cinzano..... we have already entered ..... your rooster shadow.....!!!... Lol

We need Eric to show us a way through all that sand
One of these on the nose, a bit of a run up and you shouldn't need Cinzanos help

Old 16-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #232

The fountain 'beak' already looks like that..... great place to carry the spare props.....
Goinglean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #233

Boat make: Hydrostream V-king, 650SS OCR ,Ring 21, Ring 18, Phantom 18.
Engines: 300Hp Mercury 2.4, 130 Yamaha, Bridgeport EFI, XR6, Merc 200.
Cruising area: Malahide, Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrib View Post
“What did the Irish Do?”

Justin Mc Inerney
Good post Justin,
Was that an official attendance count for Fenit? When I got there late in the evening after an eventful coastal drive from Waterford it certainly seemed like at least double that figure!
It took me half an hour to wade my way through the hoards in front of the stage to get down to where all you lot were!
Shame I never really got to party with the rest of you lot, or sleep in any of my hotel rooms but it was an experience!

Well done to all the teams that entered and hopefully we'll see them all back again in 2014 along with some new teams.

The P1 SuperStock teams I spoke to also said they would come back anytime!
The Galway event was fantastic and hopefully the first of many events like it in the country.

As some of you may or may not know, Ireland does not have a regular offshore racing series and hopefully the last few weeks can only help to entice people to our sport.

I know there are a lot of boats out there that could have made it, but didnt due to reasons of their own. It is a shame, we would have loved for you to come. Hopefully next time you will.

As for the event being a rally... tell that to the teams that took part!

Fair play Justin, thank you to all that helped out and fair play to everyone that took part.

Alan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hydrostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #234

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
I think that Justin did a great job of not only having the vision of putting the event on, but the "cojones" to run the race.

Why didn't more Marathon boats attend? I suspect it was due to lack of money, rather than a question of the organisation over in Ireland.

The OOD was Rob Andrews & Safety Officer Richard Salaman - Simply, the best guys in the business.

I look forward to welcoming Justin, all other overseas competitors and our UK Marathon boats to Cowes in August.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #235

Wonderful few preceding posts.
Energises one to keep going in the face of adversity.
Barrie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 06:42 AM   #236

[QUOTE=Markus Hendricks;183257]But at the same time I do believe that there is not a construction speed limit on the CUV.

`Construction speed limit`!!!!

You`ve just gone over it sunshine.In reality that boat was designed to take 1200hp petrols,which rated at about 75kts (110 psi on bottom),but as any designer will tell you,it`s a grey art,so safety factors can be a bit woolly.
e.g. is 40kts in a force 8,worse than 75kts in a force 2?

As regards a 41 was a marketing thing,someone`s been pulling your whatsit.

In 1977 the Altalia boats were designed as 38ft (stem to transom at centreline on deck),with 6 inches of aft topside styling,so they were referred to as 39ft.When CUV cloned them,they called them 38ft.In 1986 these boats were extended to 41ft (stem to transom at centreline on deck,as per the drawings).Apparently, as Della Valle was sticking 1400hp in his 38FT CUV,it was becoming a bit hairy,so a longer boat was ordered,presumably because wifey was concerned for his safety (the reason he packed it in for a while)
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #237

Ct 61

[QUOTE=macrib;183241The Around Ireland started with just 6 boats. How many did Cowes have 50 years ago.

Refer to post 117 (Cowes 2010 update)

27 hard boats,0 ribs. (well,you did ask)
Old 17-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #238

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

[QUOTE=FLYING FISH;183302][QUOTE=macrib;183241The Around Ireland started with just 6 boats. How many did Cowes have 50 years ago.

Refer to post 117 (Cowes 2010 update)

27 hard boats,0 ribs. (well,you did ask)[/QUOTE]

I've been waiting for you to post that FF, knew you wouldn't be able to resist....

Sorry Justin but you dropped into that one.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #239

Interests: Boats, Diving, Business
Boat name: Seawolf, Wolf
Boat make: 10m Humber Offshore & 8.5m Humber Offshore
Engines: Suzuki DF300's
Cruising area: Ireland & UK

Cowes and 27 hard boats

Mike,
seems I may have, but happy to really.

My point was that we had to start somewhere. Every thing has a beginning and our job now is to continue to push this further and look to have an even more successful event in 2014.

Around Ireland 2010 started with 6, but I am confident we can have a lot more in 2014. The organisation and running of these events as you know only too well is difficult to say the least. I know we had many difficult days during the planning of the race but we got there in the end.

Cowes is next for the Irish and we are bringing at least 2 boats over to join in the fun. I am looking forward to the event and the festival.

See you all there.

Justin.
macrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #240

Anorak calling

Yeah,yeah,I know I`m getting predictable,Mike.Wind em up,and watch em go.