Boatmad.com

Old 17-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #1341

Send a message via Skype™ to ciao!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB-C View Post
I told Andy this am just keep land on your right....................now look where he's got toooooooooooooooooo

Wonder if that is wettpunkt and Marine Track have messed up?

ciao! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #1342

Interests: boats, cars,film.f1 and anitques/paintings
Boat name: tba
Cruising area: south coast France and med

See Tim and Eric are chasing Andy home to Pompey !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They have just left the Gambon in West Africa...................reckon at an average of 45 knots they should just make the start on saturday

https://www.englishgoldenretrievers.co.uk
TimB-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #1343

Quote:
See Tim and Eric are chasing Andy home to Pompey !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They have just left the Gambon in West Africa...................reckon at an average of 45 knots they should just make the start on saturday
I cant even get on it! Whats the betting we crash their server?

Old 17-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #1344

SChhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't say that.

Old 17-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #1345

Is anyone else having problems with it?
Old 17-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #1346
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

yeah, can't view rb3, or 4 entrants pages

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #1347

should be ok now.
Old 17-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #1348
The Doc

it certainly is
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #1349

It appears to be down

Old 17-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #1350

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Environmental Hooligans!

We are being called the above by the Green lobby. Over the last two weeks the clamour from the green lobby has been increasing until it is now at fever pitch see below. Obviously it is difficult to respond to this as the organisers of the race and we would not wish to do so... yet. But the following says it all and does not bode well for the sport. This was today published by The Friends Of The Earth to the whole Press Association. We can therefore publish this here. You can well understand the furor that it is creating.

PRESS RELEASE

FRIENDS OF THE EARTH CYMRU

Embargo: 00.01hrs Wednesday, 18th June 2008

TESCO BACKS HIGH-SPEED POWER BOAT RACE THROUGH WILDLIFE HAVEN

Tesco is being urged to withdraw sponsorship from a power boat race that threatens important marine wildlife off the west Wales coast.

The Round Britain Power Boat Race, involving 48 power boats, some travelling at speeds of 70mph and more, is due to arrive at Milford Haven on June 22nd. The following day the boats will race through the wildlife haven of the seas around the Pembrokeshire islands of Skomer, Skokholm and Grassholm.

This has caused widespread anger amongst environmentalists, fearful of the considerable danger the boats pose to the whales, dolphins, porpoises, seals and sea birds that populate the area.

Although it is doubtful that the race can be stopped at this stage, Friends of the Earth Cymru has written to the chief executive of Tesco calling on the company to withdraw its sponsorship of the race.

Director of Friends of the Earth Cymru, Gordon James, said:

“At this time of year the seas off Pembrokeshire are teeming with porpoises, dolphins, seals and masses of breeding birds. Dozens of power boats racing at high speeds through the area could seriously harm and disturb wildlife. It will be extremely difficult to avoid collision with whales, dolphins and resting sea birds during such a high speed race.

“Tesco’s policy on sustainable seafood sourcing is to be welcomed and includes conserving fish stocks, avoiding whaling and sealing, and supporting sustainable fishing methods. Yet the harm to marine wildlife threatened by this race seems completely at odds with this.”

“No local bodies were consulted regarding the race route. There has been some recent correspondence with the race organisers, but concerns have still not been taken into account and it appears that, despite the widespread opposition, the race will go ahead with little concession to the likely disturbance to wildlife.

“We have asked Tesco to withdraw their sponsorship of this race due to the danger it poses to wildlife, and the massive disturbance it will cause to such an important marine environment.”

ENDS

CONTACT

Friends of the Earth Cymru: 029 2022 9577

Gordon James, Director: 07712 038 591

Haf Elgar, Campaigner: 07876 130 238

MEDIA INTERVIEWS CAN BE CONDUCTED IN WELSH OR ENGLISH

The fact that Tesco as a group are NOT sponsoring this race does not appear to be within their understanding. However, the RB08 Team are working as closely as possible with the RYA in their response to the above. Obviously we wish to be as responsible as possible under the circumstances and have made numerous alterations to the course in an endeavour to avoid those areas that are of concern to this lobby. Beyond that we cannot comment at this time for obvious reasons.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #1351

Boat name: salamis
Boat make: cheetah (not that cat thing), Invicta Jupiter 5.0
Engines: I/B VP
Cruising area: littlehampton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbe1 View Post
I thought I read that he had pulled out of RB08........... I may be wrong but I am sure I read it last week, other commitments he said.
Top Gear is a good enough pragramme, but anything 'BOAT' and they are pretty dire. Like getting in a bullet proof Windy on the coast of Sweden and making out the engines bloo up by putting a smoke bomb in the bilge then taking to a RIB and won't it be good tele if we let the tube down and make out it popped.
I was reading that apparently James May was due to drive that rocket car but 'other commitments' meant Richard Hammand had to nearly kill himself instead.

Rob (Salamis)
robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #1352
/280

Interests: Motorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
We are being called the above by the Green lobby. Over the last two weeks the clamour from the green lobby has been increasing until it is now at fever pitch see below. Obviously it is difficult to respond to this as the organisers of the race and we would not wish to do so... yet. But the following says it all and does not bode well for the sport. This was today published by The Friends Of The Earth to the whole Press Association. We can therefore publish this here. You can well understand the furor that it is creating.

PRESS RELEASE

FRIENDS OF THE EARTH CYMRU

Embargo: 00.01hrs Wednesday, 18th June 2008

TESCO BACKS HIGH-SPEED POWER BOAT RACE THROUGH WILDLIFE HAVEN

Tesco is being urged to withdraw sponsorship from a power boat race that threatens important marine wildlife off the west Wales coast.

The Round Britain Power Boat Race, involving 48 power boats, some travelling at speeds of 70mph and more, is due to arrive at Milford Haven on June 22nd. The following day the boats will race through the wildlife haven of the seas around the Pembrokeshire islands of Skomer, Skokholm and Grassholm.

This has caused widespread anger amongst environmentalists, fearful of the considerable danger the boats pose to the whales, dolphins, porpoises, seals and sea birds that populate the area.

Although it is doubtful that the race can be stopped at this stage, Friends of the Earth Cymru has written to the chief executive of Tesco calling on the company to withdraw its sponsorship of the race.

Director of Friends of the Earth Cymru, Gordon James, said:

“At this time of year the seas off Pembrokeshire are teeming with porpoises, dolphins, seals and masses of breeding birds. Dozens of power boats racing at high speeds through the area could seriously harm and disturb wildlife. It will be extremely difficult to avoid collision with whales, dolphins and resting sea birds during such a high speed race.

“Tesco’s policy on sustainable seafood sourcing is to be welcomed and includes conserving fish stocks, avoiding whaling and sealing, and supporting sustainable fishing methods. Yet the harm to marine wildlife threatened by this race seems completely at odds with this.”

“No local bodies were consulted regarding the race route. There has been some recent correspondence with the race organisers, but concerns have still not been taken into account and it appears that, despite the widespread opposition, the race will go ahead with little concession to the likely disturbance to wildlife.

“We have asked Tesco to withdraw their sponsorship of this race due to the danger it poses to wildlife, and the massive disturbance it will cause to such an important marine environment.”

ENDS

CONTACT

Friends of the Earth Cymru: 029 2022 9577

Gordon James, Director: 07712 038 591

Haf Elgar, Campaigner: 07876 130 238

MEDIA INTERVIEWS CAN BE CONDUCTED IN WELSH OR ENGLISH

The fact that Tesco as a group are NOT sponsoring this race does not appear to be within their understanding. However, the RB08 Team are working as closely as possible with the RYA in their response to the above. Obviously we wish to be as responsible as possible under the circumstances and have made numerous alterations to the course in an endeavour to avoid those areas that are of concern to this lobby. Beyond that we cannot comment at this time for obvious reasons.
ML.

This is 1 race, i'm sure the environmental people should be worrying about other things for instance the M25 at rush hour
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #1353

Interests: lots
Boat make: scorpion 8.1
Engines: 250HO
Cruising area: solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Top Gear is a good enough pragramme, but anything 'BOAT' and they are pretty dire. Like getting in a bullet proof Windy on the coast of Sweden and making out the engines bloo up by putting a smoke bomb in the bilge then taking to a RIB and won't it be good tele if we let the tube down and make out it popped.
I was reading that apparently James May was due to drive that rocket car but 'other commitments' meant Richard Hammand had to nearly kill himself instead.
goldfish i believe
glen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #1354

http://blog.seatrust.org.uk/2008/06/

Interesting closing statement
Foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 11:57 PM   #1355

Boat name: salamis
Boat make: cheetah (not that cat thing), Invicta Jupiter 5.0
Engines: I/B VP
Cruising area: littlehampton

OK glen a well made Swedish boat.
Never allow facts to get in the way of a good story.

It sounds like Mike and the RB08 team with the RYA are acting responsably and the 'FRIENDS OF THE EARTH CYMRU' might have to go and spoil someone elses fun.
None of the teams want to endager wildlife and would actively try to avoid any unrest to marine habitat, but its not as if they are planning to be in the Milfor Haven area for that long running around constantly at 70mph.

Rob (Salamis)
robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #1356

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Can someone help this RB08 Norwegian competitor please. I remember somewhere that there was quite a discussion at one time about on board cameras. Please don't come back to me. Contact him direct.

Ref telcon. My PA sent you an e-mail regarding this. Could you please get me the contact details for where we can buy and get installed an on board system before the race? Thanks.

Mange hilsener fra/Best Regards

FREDENSBORG EIENDOMSSELSKAP AS

Ivar Erik Tollefsen (direkte tlf 23292050)

mailto:ivar@fredensborg.no
http://www.fredensborg.no
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #1357
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

The Friends Of The Earth are complete and total idiots.

I was listed in 2003 on their website and in their anual report as an Environmental Terrorist for breeding seahorses.

I then had some nutters phoning me and some hate mail about how I was poluting the sea. My website was ping bombed, I had 100'd of nutters registering to post crap. What no one from The Friends Of The Earth bothered to check is how I was breeding seahorses - In a flat in central London.

They assumed I was part of some shore based fish farm and dumpped my waste into the sea. They are such idiots that no one should take them seriously.

There are environmental conserns about racing- and we have mitigated them in our racing, but no one should at any time take anything from The Friends Of The Earth as anything else but complete and utter crap.
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #1358

By us discussing them, they are getting the publicity they seek..........
Just a bunch of redundant lesbians from Greenham Common

Old 18-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #1359

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Quote:
By us discussing them, they are getting the publicity they seek..........
Just a bunch of redundant lesbians from Greenham Common
Nice one T B C couldn't agree more

Just ordered my RB souvenir brochure will look forward to a good read
Old 18-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #1360

Completely agree! I wrote a post about right's to free speech, and actions etc, but the trouble with much of the green lobby, or anyone who perceives themselves to have the moral highground is they aint interested in listening.

Regarding the whales & dolphins observed, they coulda approached Mike and offered their assistance to track wildlife so that racers could stay clear of any hotspots, but I guess it's easier to attack attack attack.

One hopes the people shouting "environmental hooligans" never go abroad, don't drive, and only eat local produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verytricky View Post
There are environmental conserns about racing- and we have mitigated them in our racing, but no one should at any time take anything from The Friends Of The Earth as anything else but complete and utter crap.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote