Boatmad.com

Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #141

Popeye - that communication was very clearly marked as confidential and was from the entire Venture Cup team (not just me). It's therefore not appropriate to go into details at this time, other than to say that yes we have entries (lots) ... we're very happy with the levels at the moment ...and we're fully confident of reaching our targets

blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #142

It's precisely this lack of visibility that is causing conflict between me and my race team as to whether this will happen and whether or not we should enter. I'd like to talk to anyone who can offer me a positive take on this and the organisers. All enquiries seem to draw a blank. Shouldn't you be encouraging competitors and not putting them off? Why so terse? Why the secrecy?

Worsforwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #143

Interests: Boats, Cars.
Boat name: Splash 4
Boat make: Hunton
Engines: Mercruiser 640
Cruising area: Poole, Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worsforwear View Post
It's precisely this lack of visibility that is causing conflict between me and my race team as to whether this will happen and whether or not we should enter. I'd like to talk to anyone who can offer me a positive take on this and the organisers. All enquiries seem to draw a blank. Shouldn't you be encouraging competitors and not putting them off? Why so terse? Why the secrecy?
There's no secrecy, just trying to have a controlled release of information. Approvals at RYA next week, competitors now genuinely entering, sponsorship slowly getting signed up. The Team is working hard, especially Blimp and the Officials to really make this happen, BUT, we need all of your support, come and race.
We will be as accommodating as we can to other classes, even if you only want to go as far as Brighton.
It's the return of true Offshore Racing, not a little flit around a few cans ...
P.M me with you concerns and number for a chat. Simon.
Pennpromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #144

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
I think Aidan has done a great job, (4,000 Facebook friends from New Delhi).

I am looking forward to some new Indian mates for Cowes!

Bring on those new brick fans!
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #145

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

so how many teams have paid up and entered
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #146

Ciao - not very helpful or supportive.
We don't have '4,000 facebook friends from New Delhi' - we have over 5,000 facebook friends in total and the vast majority of these are being specifically targeted for a variety of reasons. This is an area which I believe you have some understanding of, so I'd ask you to go and look at the qualitative stats as well as the quantitative stats for this. A quick reference to the responses from various posts provides a very quick analysis.

Worsforwear - As Simon has said, please get in touch with him ....or anyone else on the team ....if you require specific information, support or confidence for your team. The reality is that teams are getting very regular contact by group email, which is then followed up by direct contact as appropriate. There's no reason in the world why any team should have any unanswered concerns, and if they do, get in touch directly and we'll immediately deal with them. The reality is that the information to the teams about the race is not being communicated via Boatmad, but through more direct and personal channels.

Carl - see the response above to Worsforwear. If a team is interested in racing and needs questions answered, then they will already know who to contact. Any other information is considered as 'public' and this will form part of our media launch in London in a few weeks time.

We can't stop open debate on sites like Boatmad, nor would we wish to. However we're extremely happy with the manner in which the teams are being communicated with, and have yet to hear any team say to us "we're not getting enough information" ....so we'll continue to use our own internal channels for communication. We're also extremely happy with the entry level at this point.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #147

I think, Blimp, you have a total lack of understanding regarding the issue of transparancy. Before entering more information is needed. You appear to want entries before giving information on the race. The website says entries coming soon and race course coming soon. You have used Boatmad to promote this race but now wont answer questions from those of us who don't wish to commit without facts being openly available.

So why wont you tell us exactly what the course is, how many firm entrants you have and the cost to enter?
Worsforwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #148

Interests: Heavy Heavy Metal
Boat name: Slayer II, Slayer, Pen15
Boat make: Phantom 19G-R, Bernico F2 Extreme, Ring 15
Engines: Evinrude 115HO, Yam 90
Cruising area: Channel Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worsforwear View Post
I think, Blimp, you have a total lack of understanding regarding the issue of transparancy. Before entering more information is needed. You appear to want entries before giving information on the race. The website says entries coming soon and race course coming soon. You have used Boatmad to promote this race but now wont answer questions from those of us who don't wish to commit without facts being openly available.

So why wont you tell us exactly what the course is, how many firm entrants you have and the cost to enter?
Maybe try contacting the organisers directly with an expression of interest as a race team, rather than demand answers via a forum account with only 2 posts?

It still amazes me how much negativity surrounds such a great sport, at each and every level.
Paul E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #149

I think Paul pretty much nailed it there. Over 50 teams are getting regular email bulletins covering everything from the course to the entry-fees and more. There really isn't any drought of information.

I sent a private message to Worsforwear earlier asking what questions were drawing a blank as this goes against everything we've been doing. It may well be that he's 100% genuine and, if so, he'll get the full support that everyone else gets ....but right now I find it very hard to understand how any team in any way engaged with the race could say something like that.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #150

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E View Post
Maybe try contacting the organisers directly with an expression of interest as a race team, rather than demand answers via a forum account with only 2 posts?

It still amazes me how much negativity surrounds such a great sport, at each and every level.

Agreed - why is there so much negativity - the race is happening and being supported.

Just seems many posts are about either trying to score points or create negativity - what good is that going to do?

Boatmad could be so good - instead it just ends up being a way to stir the proverbial. So the vast majority of the actual competitors won't even post on here!
Old 10-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #151

I think people are afraid that same thing will happen again; "LOT of interest...and no one paying the entry fee".

At least I am afraid of that. Already lost £3000 on this race so I want to know how many REAL entrants before paying the fee one more time. Must remember that there were only 13 of us that paid, of the 42 "very interested".

So I think it would be good for the race to really be "totally transparent".

And yes. I mailed Aidan and got back that "there are a lot of teams interested"...
Mikko Oikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #152

2013 course

Hello.
Please could you tell me if the course on the website is correct.
If so will the race fleet have a turn mark somewhere close to the east of The Isle of Wight ?
Be brilliant for me to spectate if they do !!!!

Can't wait for an amazing spectacle in 2013 and 2014.
wickedtopspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #153

Mikko - PM just sent to you

Wickedtopspeed - that course is just representative. The actual course is being submitted for approval this week. However, we're totally committed to getting the race as close to key spectator points as possible
Old 10-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #154

Thank you very much.

The best of luck to you and the organising team from all grateful spectators and power boating fans
wickedtopspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #155

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Oikari View Post
I think people are afraid that same thing will happen again; "LOT of interest...and no one paying the entry fee".

At least I am afraid of that. Already lost £3000 on this race so I want to know how many REAL entrants before paying the fee one more time. Must remember that there were only 13 of us that paid, of the 42 "very interested".

And yes. I mailed Aidan and got back that "there are a lot of teams interested"...

Agreed - after the last effort I'm sure questions need to be answered.

But surely this should be between the organsiers and the potential competitors. If they (organisers) can give the correct answers - enter and if not - don't.

The minute it comes up as open debate on here, various people are going to try and be clever / point score and it just gets ridiculous.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #156

Boat make: Hydrostream V-king, 650SS OCR ,Ring 21, Ring 18, Phantom 18.
Engines: 300Hp Mercury 2.4, 130 Yamaha, Bridgeport EFI, XR6, Merc 200.
Cruising area: Malahide, Dublin

Who are the race organisers?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hydrostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #157

Alan - in no particular order, and not exclusive (lots working on this):
Venues: Richard Carlton
Racing: Simon Wood Power
Teams: Peter Dredge
Event: Aidan Foley
Environmental: Dougal Driver
Financial: Robin Hyde
Race Sec: Sally Windsor
Race OOD: Rob Andrews

As I said, lots more helping in official and unofficial roles
Old 10-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #158
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Oikari View Post

I can understand the lack of confidence Mikko but the statement you have made there would result in precisely zero entries if every competitor took the same approach.

Knowing a little of the effort going in at the moment it would be a travesty for this to not succeed as a result of lack of entries.

Not sure how you rebuild confidence between competitors and organisers but it is of course critical to the future.

Possibly a way to consider it is as investment. The way I see it, the more boats on the start line this year the more attractive the proposition is to sponsors next year. Don't support it this year and next year's job is made all the harder or actually impossible.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #159

On the very valid point of trust and confidence between competitors and organisers it may be worth noting that most of the key roles are filled by actual entrants in the race .....guys who fully understand the concerns of the other teams.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorvator View Post
I can understand the lack of confidence Mikko but the statement you have made there would result in precisely zero entries if every competitor took the same approach.

Knowing a little of the effort going in at the moment it would be a travesty for this to not succeed as a result of lack of entries.

Not sure how you rebuild confidence between competitors and organisers but it is of course critical to the future.

Possibly a way to consider it is as investment. The way I see it, the more boats on the start line this year the more attractive the proposition is to sponsors next year. Don't support it this year and next year's job is made all the harder or actually impossible.
I have not made any "statement"...but been in contact with Aidan now.
If you want to race - pay the entry fee - and be there on the starting line in London, Saturday June 8th.

Mikko Oikari is offline   Reply With Quote