Boatmad.com

Old 05-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #901

That's the easy bit. Keeping em running with out shitting their innerds all over the bilge is the challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pash 1 View Post
My expectations will be way exceeded if it starts

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #902

Well, "if" they are for the bin, can I wog a pair? They'd be handy for me as a template for rigging the engine bay on the arrow - before I order new stainless ones and find I've measured wrong.

Quote:
yes they did why ?

Old 05-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #903

Interests: Rally Driving
Boat name: Double 2 Shirts
Boat make: Planatec 41
Engines: 2x625's+ From Uncle Sam
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Well, "if" they are for the bin, can I wog a pair? They'd be handy for me as a template for rigging the engine bay on the arrow - before I order new stainless ones and find I've measured wrong.
Wog Away Do you want me to get Mark to bring them back with him tomorrow evening?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #904
Ace

Boat name: Warlord
Boat make: Phantom 31
Engines: 1/2 Bulldog

you'll have to dig them out from the pile of rotten wood they are currently under, i got a bit carried away in warlord the other day and they were on a pallet next to it!
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #905

Dohh

Understandable mistake lol - whats the plan for Warlord??
Old 06-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #906

Quote:
Spent most of Saturday travelling around picking up bits and bobs, first engine arrived and is in position (on Blocks) to allow for the correct measurement of the risers which are being custom made and to get the angle of the dangle for going through the transom at the correct level. Hopefully the other engine will be delivered and both fitted over the next few days. Spent today with Mark buffing the boat prior to the decals being applied on tuesday

Dash board had a dry fit today and we need to just make a few mods to the area within the dash to accommodate the trim indicator bits - quite please on how it has turned out.

The fuel tanks are all in place and its amazing how close the exhaust pipes come to them - the headers are about 1/2 inch away from the tanks

Front bolster seats should be being delivered tomorrow then we can get to work with the carpet and fitting the throttles.

All in all good progress
Hi Guys as we have already discused, if the engines were fitted at 18ins centres and not 21ins, the exhaust would be a long way from the fuel tanks.
Jim Brooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:38 AM   #907

Exhaust Clearance

Jim`s on your tail then Martin.He`s quite right re the engine position.Looking at a Kiekhaefer engine installation drg ,it shows the engines at 18 inch centres with the outboard edge of the exhaust a further 18 inches off engine centreline.Even the ABO drg shows the engine exhaust in approximately this position with 5 inches clearance to the tank.Note tank shown as having full radiused top and bottom sections and lying parallel to topside to give maximum exhaust clearance.I thought your tanks were as per the drgs,and looking at your pics I see what looks like a more vertical tank face with chamfered corners,unless it`s the wide angle lens playing tricks.The drg shows the tank leaning more outboard I thought.Good job your engine ain`t on resilient mounts.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #908
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

If we were to swap to 18" would the drives need to be moved to the same dia ?

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #909
Traveling

The intention was to be on the water for Cowes 2009, that date is coming under pressure as things stand. At the end of the day some trade offs had to be made to make it achievable. Rolled oval tanks’ were rejected due to the extra cost of manufacture the same for the centreline of the motors & drives. Whilst it only takes in theory a short time to do with a unlimited budget the hard economics had to come into effect and we had to go with what was there and what we could afford to do. It’s not say that it wont change over the winter months but the target is to get it on the water once there things seem to be easier and progress better. I spent over 2 years on the Midas and could have easily spent another 6 months piddling about but you reach a point where you have to run as is & put it on the to do list.
Martin has admitted to being a novice on the rigging front & what I know about fitting sterndrives you could write on a postage stamp in large felt tip pen. The learning curve has been steep & sharp & I’m sure there are still some twists & turns waiting in the wings on this our first attempt, but I can speak for Martin when I say it is an ongoing labour of love & be sure there will be changes further down the road be it tanks, motor location, motors ect.

Team25Racing.com

Old 06-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #910

While the exhausts "should" be cool, you might wanna consider putting some aluminised heat reflective material on the tank surface - be a shame to lose a water pump, causing the exhaust temp to rise and end up with localised boiling petrol!
Old 06-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #911

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
Jim`s on your tail then Martin.He`s quite right re the engine position.Looking at a Kiekhaefer engine installation drg ,it shows the engines at 18 inch centres with the outboard edge of the exhaust a further 18 inches off engine centreline.Even the ABO drg shows the engine exhaust in approximately this position with 5 inches clearance to the tank.Note tank shown as having full radiused top and bottom sections and lying parallel to topside to give maximum exhaust clearance.I thought your tanks were as per the drgs,and looking at your pics I see what looks like a more vertical tank face with chamfered corners,unless it`s the wide angle lens playing tricks.The drg shows the tank leaning more outboard I thought.Good job your engine ain`t on resilient mounts.
Hi Graham yes thats how it was with the petrol engines when I raced it with Jack Cunningham the drives went to 21ins when I fitted the Sabre's and the tanks were round top and bottom.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #912
Traveling

was thinking of a larger version of a plumbers mat, bloody brilliant invension

Team25Racing.com

Old 06-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #913

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFin View Post
The intention was to be on the water for Cowes 2009, that date is coming under pressure as things stand. At the end of the day some trade offs had to be made to make it achievable. Rolled oval tanks’ were rejected due to the extra cost of manufacture the same for the centreline of the motors & drives. Whilst it only takes in theory a short time to do with a unlimited budget the hard economics had to come into effect and we had to go with what was there and what we could afford to do. It’s not say that it wont change over the winter months but the target is to get it on the water once there things seem to be easier and progress better. I spent over 2 years on the Midas and could have easily spent another 6 months piddling about but you reach a point where you have to run as is & put it on the to do list.
Martin has admitted to being a novice on the rigging front & what I know about fitting sterndrives you could write on a postage stamp in large felt tip pen. The learning curve has been steep & sharp & I’m sure there are still some twists & turns waiting in the wings on this our first attempt, but I can speak for Martin when I say it is an ongoing labour of love & be sure there will be changes further down the road be it tanks, motor location, motors ect.
I don't know why it was such a big problem to move the drives at the beginning, when I said the drives were wrong and to put them in the right place (18ins centres,) it's only a bit of wood and GRP work, as for doing thing further down the road, it is more costly to do it twice. !!!!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #914
Traveling

Martin & I talked a great length when you mention the centrelines months ago, whilst we were up for it then the lead times we were given for doing the work were quite surprising and blew the 2009 season out of the window totally. We have taken all what you have mentioned all onboard & there is a plan ‘B’ but it cannot be for the current season mores the pity.

Team25Racing.com

Old 06-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brooker View Post
I don't know why it was such a big problem to move the drives at the beginning, when I said the drives were wrong and to put them in the right place (18ins centres,) it's only a bit of wood and GRP work, as for doing thing further down the road, it is more costly to do it twice. !!!!!!
Jim the problem was as follows:
1) I didnt know anyone who could do it quickly enough.
2) I could'nt afford it following quotes that I received.
3) as John says - its a learning curve - Ive made so many mistakes like the rear tanks, thought I could save money by having them rectangular turns out yes money was saved by at the cost of the exhaust pipes being so close to the tanks, I do have a cunning plan which is to lean the tanks which will give a clearance of aproximatle 50mm. this should solvethe problem (hopefully)

So I did listen to your advice and took it onboard but factors financial dictated which way to go.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #916

Quote:
Jim the problem was as follows:
1) I didnt know anyone who could do it quickly enough.
2) I could'nt afford it following quotes that I received.
3) as John says - its a learning curve - Ive made so many mistakes like the rear tanks, thought I could save money by having them rectangular turns out yes money was saved by at the cost of the exhaust pipes being so close to the tanks, I do have a cunning plan which is to lean the tanks which will give a clearance of aproximatle 50mm. this should solvethe problem (hopefully)

So I did listen to your advice and took it onboard but factors financial dictated which way to go.
OK no more said.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #917

but its on next years shopping list for the boat

I value all the input from you guys but at the moment its a fine balance between funding the project and maintaining cash flow in the Company
Old 06-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #918

Interests: DIESELS
Boat make: TECKNO 40 (ONE DAY)
Engines: SEATEK 960s

D2s

CFUN Iam Gary its just that Iam staying in Majorca at Rogers villa and we were looking at D2S progress he was very interested in it.
TECKNO 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #919

Well thats answered a few questons ..........

Glad Roger is interested in the project and I look forward to receiving his email
Old 07-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #920

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Ahh as Martin says that explains the confusion, thanks for putting us right Gary hope you and Roger have a great time over their in Majorca catching a few rays and who knows maybe even a little boating