Boatmad.com

Old 17-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #281

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
The Cowes Finish has now been approved by the RYA. I will post the updated RI on here as soon as I receive them from Sally, the race secretary.
Well done to all who worked so hard to acheive this great result !
Thats fine for this year then, but what happens in 2012 I wonder ?
As I posted previously, BIBOA have their excellent Lymington Challenge racing EAST of Hurst, but thats not on a bank-holiday Sunday.
Maybe a clue in relation to bank holiday w/end possibly ?

Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
Thank the Lord for that and for those that put pressure on those that needed pressure put on them. I suspect that there was a lot of that in the background.

The alternative was of course rubbish and a travesty of this great race, Sir Max Aitkin would have been turning in his grave and probably Tim Powell was downing a few large G & T's or is it V & T's, I can't remember. Of course he is the Grand Dady of this race having organised it some 20 odd times.

If this finish hadn't changed I suspect that next year the entry list would have been very poor indeed.

What is the Total distance now please, 175nm? As a Historic boat we have to carefully work out our average speed over distance.
ML.
Trouble is Mike - its a far different world now, to that when Sir Max (The Hon Max as he was then) started the C-T Race in 1961.
In some ways, he succeeeded in what he stove to acheive - that of getting more people afloat. In 1961 the majority of the entrants were already involved in either sailing or boating.
The Solent was empty in comparison to today, Cowes Week possibly excepted.
Sir Max wanted design developments (Acheived) & British Boat building to expand (Acheived - despite current recession).
If his race had not been started, would we see Sunseeker & similar brands with British design in the main, leading the World ? Maybe not !
Sir Max succeeded in getting more people afloat - trouble is, its mitigated against "his" race.
Nonetheless, various 'incidents', not only in the Solent, but elsewhere have raised powerboat racing's profile in a way it could do without. "The authorities" don't differenciate between different disiplines within a sport, racing is racing, & we have to try to continue despite the greater attention given to our sport by "The Authorities", who, incidentally, can require the RYA to demand a particular course of action if all the I's are not dotted & all the t's not crossed, as I'm sure you are well aware.
Let us hopefully enjoy our weekend of racing in 10 days time !

Old 17-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #283

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToll View Post
Your efforts are much appreciated, very pleased to hear this good news
Page 46 >> Link

Bring back the 80's! and will Steve be in Cowes with a new hair do?
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
Thank the Lord for that and for those that put pressure on those that needed pressure put on them. I suspect that there was a lot of that in the background.

What is the Total distance now please, 175nm? As a Historic boat we have to carefully work out our average speed over distance.
ML.
You will only need fuel to the needles with the history of that boat
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #285

Boat make: Apache
Cruising area: South coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Page 46 >> Link

Bring back the 80's! and will Steve be in Cowes with a new hair do?
He may have a new hair do but I don't think he will be sporting it at Cowes this year.
I agree bring back the 80's, a time when powerboat racing was great fun, totally acceptable and attracted lots of spectators. Events were organised as well as they are today, still demanded a high level of safety but fortunatley none of the PC Health and safety diatribe we have now.

Steve will however be coming to Keywest with us again this year where the racing is a fantastic show right in front of you, it is the ideal venue to spectate and get the sights and sounds of boats flying past a full throttle with six races within a week. You can tour the dry pits and witness the parade through the main street with crowds of people delighted to see them, with the racers keen to show off their prized raceboats. Even the helicopters fly no higher than the palm trees to capture the action.

This is unfortunatley a far cry from British racing today, any form of motorsport requires some level of sponsorship, the pay back to a sponsor is to promote their product, how is this achieved if you can't see the main attraction?
As I said yesterday I am delighted the race now finishes at Cowes and hope that next year the proper start can be resurrected to keep this best known British event alive.
TonyToll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #286

Race Bulletin - Cowes Finish

Race Bulletin - Cowes Finish
LINK
Old 18-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #287

Quote:
He may have a new hair do but I don't think he will be sporting it at Cowes this year.
I agree bring back the 80's, a time when powerboat racing was great fun, totally acceptable and attracted lots of spectators. Events were organised as well as they are today, still demanded a high level of safety but fortunatley none of the PC Health and safety diatribe we have now.

Steve will however be coming to Keywest with us again this year where the racing is a fantastic show right in front of you, it is the ideal venue to spectate and get the sights and sounds of boats flying past a full throttle with six races within a week. You can tour the dry pits and witness the parade through the main street with crowds of people delighted to see them, with the racers keen to show off their prized raceboats. Even the helicopters fly no higher than the palm trees to capture the action.

This is unfortunatley a far cry from British racing today, any form of motorsport requires some level of sponsorship, the pay back to a sponsor is to promote their product, how is this achieved if you can't see the main attraction?
As I said yesterday I am delighted the race now finishes at Cowes and hope that next year the proper start can be resurrected to keep this best known British event alive.
In contrast to the great scenes at Key West, which you describe Tony, the UK is now firmly in the grasp of "The Green Meanies" who, sensing a vulnerable sport,[ unlike for instance saloon car racing or super-bikes ], apply pressures against it in the form of 'safety' rules.
Sadly our sport does not have an unblemished record, which makes their job easier !
Old 18-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #288

Boat make: Apache
Cruising area: South coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin The Talker View Post
In contrast to the great scenes at Key West, which you describe Tony, the UK is now firmly in the grasp of "The Green Meanies" who, sensing a vulnerable sport,[ unlike for instance saloon car racing or super-bikes ], apply pressures against it in the form of 'safety' rules.
Sadly our sport does not have an unblemished record, which makes their job easier !
Martin
Tell me which sport has an unblemished record.The yanks have their fair share of boat accidents, F1 theirs and so to the Isle of Man TT which still runs year on year by popular demand. Safety is an important aspect to any event which has to be written around the subject, not the subject being written around safety. If the later was the case you could not even conceive the idea of space travel nor could governments’ contemplate a war as someone is bound to get hurt. It is imperative that we do not under any circumstances let your so called ‘Green Meanies’ achieve sole charge as these guys will choke the living daylights out of everthing!
TonyToll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #289

Interests: Le Mans Power Boats GOODWOOD Revival
Boat name: THUNDERBOLT 1961 COWES TORQUAY WINNER
Boat make: CHRISTINA 25
Engines: 2 5 litre Chevrolets total 440 hp
Cruising area: Solent

gREEN MEANIES

I think they might be the least of our problems if a news report last week on BBC SOUTH was anything to go by the Marine Protection band are at it again wanting to establish major conservancy areas on the South Coast ...
primarily where? you may ask..

the SOLENT of course!!!

Motor boaters beware....

Mike
THUNDERBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #290

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Will look forward to seeing the boats from Hurst and then no doubt on to Cowes ... well done John for making it happen for us spectators
Old 18-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #291

Quote:
Martin
Tell me which sport has an unblemished record.The yanks have their fair share of boat accidents, F1 theirs and so to the Isle of Man TT which still runs year on year by popular demand. Safety is an important aspect to any event which has to be written around the subject, not the subject being written around safety. If the later was the case you could not even conceive the idea of space travel nor could governments’ contemplate a war as someone is bound to get hurt. It is imperative that we do not under any circumstances let your so called ‘Green Meanies’ achieve sole charge as these guys will choke the living daylights out of everthing!
Hear Hear !
Old 18-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERBOLT View Post
I think they might be the least of our problems if a news report last week on BBC SOUTH was anything to go by the Marine Protection band are at it again wanting to establish major conservancy areas on the South Coast ...
primarily where? you may ask..

the SOLENT of course!!!

Motor boaters beware....

Mike
Mike,
Green Meanies parade as Marine Protection & various other organisations - - - as I warned, beware of them !!!
Old 18-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #293

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
You will only need fuel to the needles with the history of that boat

ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #294

Race Bulletin #2 Saturday Testing

Race Bulletin #2 Saturday Testing >> Link
Old 19-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #295

Many thanks...

Thankyou so much John (and your team) for getting the race "back on track". You must have all put-in a great deal of behind-the-scenes work.

My rant was against the RYA, who do not seem to be helping to promote our sport.

Thanks to you, we now have a great weekend to look forward to!
Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #296

Interests: RACING
Boat make: T850
Engines: YAMAHA 70
Cruising area: EXMOUTH

What Time Will The Cowes Torquay Cowes Boats Be Into Torquay.
daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze View Post
What Time Will The Cowes Torquay Cowes Boats Be Into Torquay.
What will the sea conditions be ?
Answer that & a guess on speed of the leader can be made !
As Torquay is approx 75 miles direct line from the start at Hurst, if the rolling start from North Head (Hurst) was at exactly 10.00hrs, & boats averaged 75 mph, then they would be there from 11.00hrs. However speed depends on sea conditions, so --- --- !
Old 21-08-2011, 04:05 AM   #298

Further to Martin's Post -

You will be able to see the Start Time and Race Boats coming towards you with the YellowBrick tracking system.

The link to this will be posted here in a few days time.

(Always difficult to inform the tracking company exactly who are entering)

Some don't pay their Entry Fee but send an Entry Form in.

Some don't send in an Entry Fee or send an Entry Form in - But call you - "We are definately coming".

Some pay their Entry Fee and send an Entry Form in and can't get a boat on the water.

And the others posted their cheques months ago with their Entry Forms.
Old 21-08-2011, 07:03 AM   #299

Interests: RACING
Boat make: T850
Engines: YAMAHA 70
Cruising area: EXMOUTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin The Talker View Post
If rolling start from North Head (Hurst) was at exactly 10.00hrs,
THATS ALL I NEEDED TO KNOW, THANKS
daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #300

Interests: Boats, skiing pets
Cruising area: wherever there is work!

Thumbs up

Well done John and your team for sorting it all out I know how hard it has been see you in Cowes Claire and Eric

Mrs Smillie is offline   Reply With Quote