Boatmad.com

Old 28-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Misreported in today's Times Newspaper.

Laura Levi, mother of Louis never suggested that the RYA may have "hushed up" the Gee situation at Cowes 2010.
hands up how many people read the times, i guess you have boosted thier sales a little

biffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #322

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Cowes Torquay Cowes Results 2011

http://cowes2011.co.uk/ctc.xls

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #323

Interests: My Boat of course
Boat make: Extreme 21
Engines: Merc V8
Cruising area: Solent

Got to say the finish really was fantastic and so close between cinzano and ocean dragon. Cinzano looked and sounded amazing.

What happened to the cougar / Curtis rib?? It was the first boat back and seemed to be coming in at speed. We thought it had won but I guess they must have had problems and retired.

Old 29-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #324

race images

Hi guys,
below are some links to images taken at Hurst yesterday.The weather closed in for some of the CTC images but i hope you find them of interest

Rob Clifford
rjc photography
http://rjc-photography.ifp3.com/2/d5...es-torquay-201
http://rjc-photography.ifp3.com/2/d5...es-poole-2011/
robox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #325
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

A team view

A big thanks to all at Cowes, a great event and nice to see so many A & B class boats, it really needs those big players to make it the spectacle it is.

Observations:

Lumpy oul race, especially around the headlands as you'd expect, but nothing like last year. Stiff breeze (an F5-6 I think) from the west, and nearing Poole bay/the Solent on the way home. thick black clouds, heavy rain and strong wind made the final 30 miles quite unpleasant... Always lovely to spot the finish boat & the Gurnard Ledge mark, a feeling of relief.
Our motors never missed a beat and the only problems were, bow tank control jammed leaving Torquay, so no fwd ballast for the home run, not funny! and Nick forgetting to delete previous files off the SD card in his GoPro camera, so it didn't capture all the race DOH!. Pretty minor issues really, so team Swipes are happy.

Pippa
Mike Bontoft has done a lovely job of refitting the ex 'Venturer' Buzzi 40 for Rob Gray, a real credit to them both. Mike continued his theme from last year of virtually hospitalising himself during the CTC, but this time, he took Johnny Caulcutt with him! Reckon he's into self harm or summat.

Bounty Hunter
..looked absolutely fantastic, so, so clean & shiney, Glen really deserves a finish at Cowes with all the hard work & wonga that's gone into BH, but a sheered jack shaft ended his fun near Portland Bill. Hopefully next year we'll see him running back up the Solent at the end of his 200 miles with everything singing.

E-Lites
The Sterling 34 looks fabulous in the flesh, when you see just how much Kev has done, virtually single handed it's nothing short of staggering, he must be exhausted. If they can get those smokey old clankers in the back reliable (no, I don't mean Kitten), I'm sure they'll be a force to contend with....Cookee, next time, read ALL the race bulletins!!)

Fury
Very very bad luck for Vee & 'Garth' in Fury, we passed them on the home journey with their engine hatch up near Anvil point (in some hefty swells!). They'd been 'right up there' before the gremlins appeared.

War Horse
Bad luck also for Tony Toll & Co in the monster Apache 41 with an MSD ignition unit on one of the Sterlings going south on them and putting the fire out (carry a spare next year silver man).

Fugitive
Francis & Stuart ran great in the Shakespeare, and enjoyed the comfort this time of Shockwave suspension seating, and I'm certain they'll be feeling the difference this morning, well done guys.

The two stars of CTC11 were of course Markus & Martin (Cinzano & Ocean Dragon) who finished just a few seconds apart after nearly 200 miles of racing, fantastic. Great performance for Martin after his disasters last year (and the year before).

The winning team stood proud & triumphant on the stage at prizegiving with Simon Wooden-top wearing his pink Wight Vodka baseball cap looking like a naughty schoolboy...just William.
They tried to steal the Harmsworth Trophy from the Squadron, but chief of trophy security (Martin Napier) spotted this and was hot on their tail with a Taser gun and order was quickly restored.

It was announced that the 2012 Cowes Festival will happen, with CTC. CPC, Classic class predicted log, and a Poker Run, and starts hopefully outside the Squadron!, yup, you heard that right, so lets hope.

A huge thanks to Mike Ring and crew for taking Angela out on the water for the day and even providing lunch. She loved it, even though it was in a Ring (and if that's not bad enough, it was a bloody rib! ).

Mike Ring made the trip over to Cowes on Saturday in Swipewipes looking after throttles, so now he knows what a real boat feels like I've no doubt we'll see some MAJOR improvements (stolen from the SB design book) being introduced on future Ringos..nothing short of industrial espionage!!

JF out.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #326

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

thanks for the update jon,just one question why is cinzano a b class boat and not a
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #327
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
thanks for the update jon,just one question why is cinzano a b class boat and not a
Coz it fits B.

I was wondering yesterday why Ocean Dragon is racing in A.

All a mystery to me.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 29-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #328

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

the b and a class are very close lengh wise and engines
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #329
numbskull

90 seconds...

...aboard Swipes.

just slogging through the swells at Anvil on our way home, with Vee & 'Garth' in the background with engine hatch up, then back on the pace when past the headland. (warning, large file)

www.boatmad.com/vids/cowes11.wmv

Old 29-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #330
Trade Member

Interests: Anything powered on wheels, water or air
Boat name: OVERLORD
Boat make: RING 34' SPORTSBOAT 2 X V8 PETROL
Engines: 2 x 320 MERCRUISER B1
Cruising area: South coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
A big thanks to all at Cowes, a great event and nice to see so many A & B class boats, it really needs those big players to make it the spectacle it is.

Observations:

A huge thanks to Mike Ring and crew for taking Angela out on the water for the day and even providing lunch. She loved it, even though it was in a Ring (and if that's not bad enough, it was a bloody rib! ).

Mike Ring made the trip over to Cowes on Saturday in Swipewipes looking after throttles, so now he knows what a real boat feels like I've no doubt we'll see some MAJOR improvements (stolen from the SB design book) being introduced on future Ringos..nothing short of industrial espionage!!

JF out.
We all enjoyed Angela's company for the day . We were all taken aback that a person with the surname of 'Fuller' did not bleat incessantly about Phantoms on the hour , every hour ! A charming lady indeed and a pleasure to have aboard .

With regard to the throttling on Swipes it truly is a great boat as has been proved by yourself and Nick.
Its a good thing I took the 'Perisher' course some time ago so I felt quite at home in U46 !
It was me that advised Nick to disconnect the ballast tank and give the bow planes 5 degrees so you could get some 'air' on the return trip and keep the nose up. You really must look after that ginger wig as it is receeding fast !

Well done again you two.

Mike

Mike

Neglect not thy opportunities
Mike Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #331

Quote:
Lets start by telling you what I do know.

1) A Start Chute of at least 5 buoys laid either side to form the "Gasoline Alley",

At least 10 boats either side, a mixture of RIB's & Cruisers. All these boats must be logged by boat type, name and experience of the Skipper. This Safety Net needs to be sent to the RYA Course Approval Committee and approved.

Mark Description Latitude Longitude

Muster Centre of area 50°46.328 N 001°15.506 W
Start Notional line 50°45.250 N 001°22.000 W

2) The run up to the Western Solent.

At least 20 boats patrolling, a mixture of RIB's & Cruisers. All these boats must be logged by boat type, name and experience of the Skipper. This Safety Net needs to be sent to the RYA Course Approval Committee and approved.

3) Once the Safety Net has been approved, these boats must be on station on the day of the Event, otherwise the organisers are for the high jump and if any accident were to occur, the RYA have to report to MAIB & investigations start.

4) In my humble opinion, there is not the appetite (now after much work had been put in and things were analysed - as opposed to lets see if it could work ) from the RYA to see 7 or 8 Race boats travelling in pack at very high speeds towards the Western Solent.
I consider that ALL of those requirements could have been met, if the volunteer safety fleet had not been so badly treated by KBL, and then a previous ORC Chairman.
We used to muster around 100 Safety & Rescue craft for Cowes Classic. With full safety cover for the Round Island Race. Almost every skipper and crew were veterans of many years of Cowes and other powerboat events.
Expenses? All anyone wanted, was to be part of the event, if that meant 6 tickets for the Northwood House Dinner, so be it.
Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #332

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
...aboard Swipes.

just slogging through the swells at Anvil on our way home, with Vee & 'Garth' in the background with engine hatch up, then back on the pace when past the headland. (warning, large file)

I enjoyed that Jon and I suspect many others will as well, great colour and clarity. Your necks look as though they took a bit of a hammeing!
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #333

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:

Observations:

Lumpy oul race, especially around the headlands as you'd expect, but nothing like last year. Stiff breeze (a 6 I think) from the west, and nearing Poole bay/the Solent on the way home. thick black clouds, heavy rain and strong wind made the final 30 miles quite unpleasant... Always lovely to spot the finish boat & the Gurnard Ledge mark, a feeling of relief.
Our motors never missed a beat and the only problems were, bow tank control jammed leaving Torquay, so no fwd ballast for the home run, not funny! and Nick forgetting to delete previous files off the SD card in his GoPro camera, so it didn't capture all the race DOH!. Pretty minor issues really, so team Swipes are happy.

Pippa
Mike Bontoft has done a lovely job of refitting the ex 'Venturer' Buzzi 40 for Rob Gray, a real credit to them both. Mike continued his theme from last year of virtually hospitalising himself during the CTC, but this time, he took Johnny Caulcutt with him! Reckon he's into self harm or summat.

Bounty Hunter
..looked absolutely fantastic, so, so clean & shiney, Glen really deserves a finish at Cowes with all the hard work & wonga that's gone into BH, but a sheered jack shaft ended his fun near Portland Bill. Hopefully next year we'll see him running back up the Solent at the end of his 200 miles with everything singing.

E-Lites
The Sterling 34 looks fabulous in the flesh, when you see just how much Kev has done, virtually single handed it's nothing short of staggering, he must be exhausted. If they can get those smokey old clankers in the back reliable (no, I don't mean Kitten), I'm sure they'll be a force to contend with....Cookee, next time, read ALL the race bulletins!!)

Fury
Very very bad luck for Vee & 'Garth' in Fury, we passed them on the home journey with their engine hatch up near Anvil point (in some hefty swells!). They'd been 'right up there' before the gremlins appeared.

War Horse
Bad luck also for Tony Toll & Co in the monster Apache 41 with an MSD ignition unit on one of the Sterlings going south on them and putting the fire out (carry a spare next year silver man).

Fugitive
Francis & Stuart ran great in the Shakespeare, and enjoyed the comfort this time of Shockwave suspension seating, and I'm certain they'll be feeling the difference this morning, well done guys.

The two stars of CTC11 were of course Markus & Martin (Cinzano & Ocean Dragon) who finished just a few seconds apart after nearly 200 miles of racing, fantastic. Great performance for Martin after his disasters last year (and the year before).

The winning team stood proud & triumphant on the stage at prizegiving with Simon Wooden-top wearing his pink Wight Vodka baseball cap looking like a naughty schoolboy...just William.
They tried to steal the Harmsworth Trophy from the Squadron, but chief of trophy security (Martin Napier) spotted this and was hot on their tail with a Taser gun and order was quickly restored.

It was announced that the 2012 Cowes Festival will happen, with CTC. CPC, Classic class predicted log, and a Poker Run, and starts hopefully outside the Squadron!, yup, you heard that right, so lets hope.

JF out.
I like your report & account Jon - Watch out for my taser gun !!!
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #334

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Start

http://youtu.be/8l-7W2XeINg
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #335

Quote:
Has anyone got results for the "CPC" ?
Foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #336
numbskull

http://cowes2011.co.uk/cpc.xls

Old 30-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #337

Interests: lots
Boat make: scorpion 8.1
Engines: 250HO
Cruising area: solent

Quote:
...aboard Swipes.

INteresting seat setup you got. Got any pics? Looks like your on a shared suspension unit?
glen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #338

Boat make: Apache

Winners

Congratulations to the Cinzano team winning the CTC for a second time, a fantastic achievement, well done also to all who finished this great race. Aplogies for not making the prize giving but we were unavoidably delayed admiring the jurassic coastline on a slow cruise back to Poole.

A big thanks to John and his team for organising this event, did I just see that the start really will be at Cowes next year, if so we will be back!
TonyToll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #339

Boat make: Apache

Yellow brick

Can someone tell me where I need to return this brick to? I believe it stopped working at Portland, is it supposed to rattle?
TonyToll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #340
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen76 View Post
INteresting seat setup you got. Got any pics? Looks like your on a shared suspension unit?
No, no pics of the mechanisms. completely indipendant, not shared, but remember, most of the forces involved are the same for both of us, so the seats & shockers will act simultaneously.