Boatmad.com

Old 20-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #961

On a related note, if you fancy being a part of this, you still have an opportunity.

The legend that is Gordon Compton is looking for crew. However long it takes, however hard the challenge, you can be sure that Gordon will make it to the end ......so you'd be in for a memorable two weeks.

Contact Gordon directly, or PM me for further details.

blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #962

Aidan. RYA,s position has been known for a LONG time so WHY go along that way until now??
That killed the race and I don't think you can blame anyone but yourself...

Mikko Oikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #963

Mikko - we've been having a very similar conversation here over the past few days.

RB08 was clearly a high-water mark for Marathon, but there were a lot of contributors to that. Many entered and starting preparing back in '07 when there was a lot of money washing around Europe, and the event itself got away just as the 'economic boom' toilet was being flushed. I wonder how many of those that entered back then could do it today?

Others tried to replicate, or build on that success, but were making their attempts in far more difficult times. The cancellations of RB11/RB12/CMC all left an already dwindling fleet with an understandable sense of apathy.

We've learned a lot of lessons ourselves over the past year and a bit. As we go forward we'll need to put a lot more thought into how exactly we attract and retain teams to come with us. That may well be a broader question than we ourselves can answer, but some of the input should be from people like you (current medical injuries aside!).

Edit - sorry Mikko, I was typing a reply to your earlier post, and I just saw your most recent one.

When Mike (correct me if I'm wrong!) first approached the RYA about the event to Monaco, they applied for, and received, permission from the UIM to oversee the entire event. Until such time as they either approved, or handed back the event to the UIM, it had to be run under their governance.
Old 20-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #964

1.Formal National Authority, Coastguard, Port Authority and / or Government permissions from every area to be raced in
2.List of financial implications to Competitors in each country visited as per UIM Rule 1200.9
3.Marina confirmations from each port of call
4.Evidence that the proposed Tracking System has been tested; with written confirmation from the supplier that the system is appropriate for use in this event
5.Settlement of insurance fees
6.Final Environmental & Risk Assessments for the whole event

What I can't understand is why were the above conditions not dealt with 1 year ago.

You appear to put all the blame on the RYA.

That jaunt last year was a waste of time and money. Money that you did not have.

I know there was an issue on the number of entries but you did get some new blood entering and a decent fleet of boats which it appears have spent alot of money.
Those in the know have made comments on here as they were aware of the cracks appearing but were shouted down by those that not knew nought.

Appealing on boatmad for crew on Gordon's boat at this late stage to compete in the toughest offshore adventure or what ever you want to call it is

Why don't you jump aboard after all that will save on your transport problems between legs.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #965

Hunton - this is ground that's been covered broadly before, and in great detail with those directly involved in the event.

(I'll deal with point 1 further on)

2. This is a simple UIM requirement to point out to the teams that they were responsible if they sink.

3. All in place bar 1 (see below)

4. There is currently NO system available that 'is appropriate for use in this event'. The one that everyone is familiar with has fallen over, in some way, at all recent significant powerboat events. We'd sourced a company who've created an entirely new system which was far more robust, included full redundancies, and used hardware that was tested way beyond what was currently available from others (with full documentation of testing provided)

5. The insurance wasn't active, had been invoiced only a few days previously and was due to be paid on the day of the deadline. If agreement was in place, that would have been paid in full.

6. Full environmental and risk assessments for the whole race had been provided. Some very small amendments and corrections were requested at the last race approvals meeting and these had been done.

Getting back to point 1 - the overwhelming majority of permissions were in place, and the remaining elements were in line to be submitted in advance of the deadline. One outstanding issue was Valencia. We had to add an extra day into the race at very late notice, and it was agreed by all that the best solution was to break up the long leg between Malaga and Tarragona. We contacted Valencia. They agreed to supply what was needed. All that was left was to go down, walk the site and shake hands. This could not be done before the RYA clock ran out. We asked for dispensation, with supporting evidence around the reason, but it wasn't allowed.

A year ago was May 2013 - how on earth could we have had all of the permissions, permits, insurance, trackers, etc. in place before we'd even run the Prologue, not to mention visit the venues?

Let me make one thing very clear. We are NOT putting all the blame on the RYA. My earlier post doesn't assign 'blame' to anyone ....it's merely an explanation of what's been happening.

You're perfectly entitled to have an opinion, but on this one it doesn't tally with the actual facts.

Sorry if I'm coming across as abrupt, but some of the responses can be frustrating at best.

(rant over - happy face now back on)
Old 20-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #966

So what you saying is that 5 weeks before the race all 6 conditions in some way were still outstanding.

I think the RYA were very very tolerant.

Your making the hole even bigger than it already is.

Do you think that all new conditions that get introduced on the le mans 24 or the F1 grand prix season are sorted out 4 weeks before the races.
Old 20-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #967

I have been following this thread and indeed the race concept itself from the beginning, from the other side of the world. I have refrained from adding my 2 cents worth, as I didn't see how that could possibly assist, even though many others on here clearly felt no such need for any restraint. Given what has transpired in recent days, and the very public autopsy now being conducted on this forum, I think the need for restraint is now somewhat diminished and frankly I feel the need to get a few things off my chest.
What a generally unedifying read some parts of the 49 pages of this thread is and what sad people some of you must be. Almost from the beginning, the knockers and naysayers emerged, some almost gleefully. I have followed the progress and, it seems, the now inevitable and ultimate decline of this wonderful concept right from the beginning. When the first race was announced, I marvelled at the spirit of adventure that would drive the entrants and wished I could participate in it myself. Several years and much angst later, I wonder where all that spirit went. Was it ever really there at all?
And yet it must be there in at least some, or why would the new owner of the marvellous HTS have taken on such a labour of love. The sad thing is we may now not see that grand old boat run to Monte Carlo, all those years after the first race.
I don't profess to know the details of how we got to this point, who did what to whom, who didn't do what, who offended whom or who is to blame, if indeed anyone is. I don't really care. I don't even know who you are. Maybe the whole concept was doomed from the start. Maybe you just can't do these things in 2014, no matter how much you might want to. Maybe it's just too expensive and just too hard.
All I know is that as a result of all this there is about zero to nothing chance that anyone else would be so foolish to even want to try to get a similar event off the ground in the future. Who would want to take on that thankless task, to be critiqued ad nauseum by every key board warrior who thinks membership of an online forum makes them a key stakeholder in the event and entitles them to give the organiser their opinions freely and frequently. And when many of the contributors to this forum seem to be motivated by nothing more than jealousy, revenge or an excess of after dinner beverages, and can offer nothing more than a sniping or sarcastic comment, and when push comes to shove the boat owners themselves won't support the events, why on earth would you want to stick your hand up and give it a go.
All in all, I'd say your marathon racing concept is about stone dead. And what an absolute crying shame that is.
There. That feels better. Good luck to you all.
pete60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #968

Pete
well done.that was the best post on this thread and i think you summed up the feelings of 95% of the people who read this forum.

No doubt the usual suspects will come at you all guns blazing with the usual bile.

All hope is not lost, from what i see there are still 8 boats on the start line that have not come up with an excuse not to run, HTS included ! nearly 2 weeks to go so hope all comes together and best of luck to them.
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #969

Boat name: chundercat
Cruising area: in the waves

Couldn't agree more . Yes it's a shame it's not 40 boats and they don't have a budget of millions and it's a shame it's not 1972 any more and that the organisers didn't ask the internet snipers on here to okay everything that the vc do .

I only got in to powerboats thanks to Aidan and his love of the sport and I'm involved on other sports that are out side of the mainstream and can honest say in pb I have seen more d@@kheads / naysayers and appalling attitudes then in any other .

I for one am thankful that they vc Team stuck with it and pressed on
It must have taken a lot of effort to get it this far and hopefully it will be safe and enjoyable for those who take part race or not . I'm sure it will be one hell of an adventure .

Best of luck to all
Dar
chundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #970

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete60 View Post
I have been following this thread and indeed the race concept itself from the beginning, from the other side of the world. I have refrained from adding my 2 cents worth, as I didn't see how that could possibly assist, even though many others on here clearly felt no such need for any restraint. Given what has transpired in recent days, and the very public autopsy now being conducted on this forum, I think the need for restraint is now somewhat diminished and frankly I feel the need to get a few things off my chest.
What a generally unedifying read some parts of the 49 pages of this thread is and what sad people some of you must be. Almost from the beginning, the knockers and naysayers emerged, some almost gleefully. I have followed the progress and, it seems, the now inevitable and ultimate decline of this wonderful concept right from the beginning. When the first race was announced, I marvelled at the spirit of adventure that would drive the entrants and wished I could participate in it myself. Several years and much angst later, I wonder where all that spirit went. Was it ever really there at all?
And yet it must be there in at least some, or why would the new owner of the marvellous HTS have taken on such a labour of love. The sad thing is we may now not see that grand old boat run to Monte Carlo, all those years after the first race.
I don't profess to know the details of how we got to this point, who did what to whom, who didn't do what, who offended whom or who is to blame, if indeed anyone is. I don't really care. I don't even know who you are. Maybe the whole concept was doomed from the start. Maybe you just can't do these things in 2014, no matter how much you might want to. Maybe it's just too expensive and just too hard.
All I know is that as a result of all this there is about zero to nothing chance that anyone else would be so foolish to even want to try to get a similar event off the ground in the future. Who would want to take on that thankless task, to be critiqued ad nauseum by every key board warrior who thinks membership of an online forum makes them a key stakeholder in the event and entitles them to give the organiser their opinions freely and frequently. And when many of the contributors to this forum seem to be motivated by nothing more than jealousy, revenge or an excess of after dinner beverages, and can offer nothing more than a sniping or sarcastic comment, and when push comes to shove the boat owners themselves won't support the events, why on earth would you want to stick your hand up and give it a go.
All in all, I'd say your marathon racing concept is about stone dead. And what an absolute crying shame that is.
There. That feels better. Good luck to you all.
You say that you would of loved to of been involved.

So think of this you invest thousands of pounds in a boat plus hundreds of hours getting the boat ready, you spend thousands on your entry fee you book your holiday around the event you tell all your friends that your entering this great race they take time of work to either help you as ground support or just to support you you have rows with the misses because you have spent all the saving plus more and then 4 weeks before the event the organisers reveal that the event is cancelled. So you shrug your shoulders and say oh well never mind.

Not sure your post would contain the same language.

This is a free forum from many types of people, the posts that I take notice of are from the ones who have put there money were there mouth is in the past or the future or the guys who are in the know.

Bring on all the stupid posts It would not bother me.

If I was the organiser I would be more bothered about no posts.

This has had cracks all over it for many many months and blimps answer regarding the conditions that the RYA gave is disgracefull

You say that keyboard warriers can't give there opinion what era do you live in. Are you sure you don't live in China

May I suggest you don't go on the piston heads forum because that really would upset you.
Old 20-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #971

I would love to know what the Martini sponsor's are now saying.

The boat is in Monaco advertising the race at the Monaco Grand Prix it would of come back to London and then raced back to Monaco what fantastic PR. Now I might be thick but I suspect that Martini who at the moment are pumping millions into racing might not be to happy.

I will also stick my head on the line and suggest that they won't be involved anymore.
Old 20-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #972

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

im surprised that the hendricks team are not taking part,with the investment in a new boat
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #973

Interests: Boats, skiing pets
Cruising area: wherever there is work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
im surprised that the hendricks team are not taking part,with the investment in a new boat
Hendricks boat is collecting dust so Ive heard!
Mrs Smillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #974

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
I would love to know what the Martini sponsor's are now saying.

The boat is in Monaco advertising the race at the Monaco Grand Prix it would of come back to London and then raced back to Monaco what fantastic PR. Now I might be thick but I suspect that Martini who at the moment are pumping millions into racing might not be to happy.

I will also stick my head on the line and suggest that they won't be involved anymore.
you may well be right there hunton! Agreeing again what is happening lol Claire
Old 20-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Smillie View Post
Hendricks boat is collecting dust so Ive heard!
Think you will see it at the CTC...
Old 20-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Oikari View Post
Think you will see it at the CTC...
Well i won't as not going and I think you maybe wrong but don't quote me!
Old 20-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #977

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

is it finished
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
is it finished
No.
Old 20-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #979

Boat make: Scorpion RIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
Pete
well done.that was the best post on this thread and i think you summed up the feelings of 95% of the people who read this forum.
Blimey, someone who has joined this forum this month & with just 7 posts thinks thay can speak for 95% of the readers? Hmm.. rather presumptious me thinks!
Old 21-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #980

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
Blimey, someone who has joined this forum this month & with just 7 posts thinks thay can speak for 95% of the readers? Hmm.. rather presumptious me thinks!
Quite Brambles, but we should make allowances for the new Sprog, he needs to "get some time in" before spouting off otherwise he will continue to make himself look a fool. Isn't there a saying about that?
ML.

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote