Boatmad.com

Old 09-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #881

Boat name: snow monkey
Boat make: extreme 24
Engines: mercruiser 6.2

well theres a surprise,not

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #882

I think it may be worth noting that we haven't, as yet, officially cancelled the Venture Cup. What has been announced is that the RYA were unable to approve the race and have handed back their element to the UIM. At this time it's not appropriate to comment any further for fear of jeopardising any work which is currently being done.

blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #883
Captain slow

Boat name: terminal velocity no.120
Boat make: phantom20
Engines: 2.5efi smillin jack
Cruising area: solent

No matter the out come of this great event. The Venture cup team have my respect, for trying, against all odds, to get this extravaganser together. Would like to say that, if you so called race fanatics where a little less negative towards people trying to sort something out, then maybe it might of happened.
andymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #884

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymac View Post
No matter the out come of this great event. The Venture cup team have my respect, for trying, against all odds, to get this extravaganser together. Would like to say that, if you so called race fanatics where a little less negative towards people trying to sort something out, then maybe it might of happened.
So you really think that negative comments on an open forum was the downfall of this event .

There is no such thing as bad publicity

What there is is no publicity
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #885
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
So you really think that negative comments on an open forum was the downfall of this event .

There is no such thing as bad publicity

I doubt the RYA were swayed by the comments on here!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #886

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Great shame - and doubt if there will be any winners from this - not the organsiers, RYA, competitors or the sport itself.

Fundamentally really shows that the sport needs some pretty big changes - but that is a whole bigger issue.

But maybe still possible that some type of event happens I guess........
Old 10-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #887
topgun

Interests: Boats/bikes/Black label
Boat name: Flash Back/Avenger/Anchor Management
Boat make: Sunseeker San Remo/mini cougar/Cougar cat 25/Avenger 21
Engines: San Remo 2x Volvo 5.7 v8/mini cougar Yamaha 25/Cougar 2x twin spark Yam V6/Avenger has volvo 300v8
Cruising area: C.I.Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Great shame - and doubt if there will be any winners from this - not the organsiers, RYA, competitors or the sport itself.

Fundamentally really shows that the sport needs some pretty big changes - but that is a whole bigger issue.

But maybe still possible that some type of event happens I guess........
How about including Guernsey and Jersey then back to UK, not quite Monte but enough enthusiasts to help out here. Would be a great shame after all the efforts made to date by the organisers and the racers to not have any race.
topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #888

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
How about including Guernsey and Jersey then back to UK, not quite Monte but enough enthusiasts to help out here. Would be a great shame after all the efforts made to date by the organisers and the racers to not have any race.
They done that last year.

How about Hamble to Cowes and back.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #889

Quote:
Marinautic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #890
topgun

Interests: Boats/bikes/Black label
Boat name: Flash Back/Avenger/Anchor Management
Boat make: Sunseeker San Remo/mini cougar/Cougar cat 25/Avenger 21
Engines: San Remo 2x Volvo 5.7 v8/mini cougar Yamaha 25/Cougar 2x twin spark Yam V6/Avenger has volvo 300v8
Cruising area: C.I.Waters

Quote:
They done that last year.

How about Hamble to Cowes and back.
I know they did this but my train of thought was if permission was given by the mighty RYA before there should be no reason to refuse it again!
topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #891

In my ignorance, was my thought about re-running Round Britain.
All the hard work was done for the 2008 race, so my logic says it should be much easier to re-run, but even with Neil M et al behind it they failed to get that re-run.

Quote:
I know they did this but my train of thought was if permission was given by the mighty RYA before there should be no reason to refuse it again!
wickedtopspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #892

Quote:
That's like cancelling the le mans 24 and telling the teams to race around the indy circuit of Brands Hatch for an hour
Old 11-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #893

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedtopspeed View Post
In my ignorance, was my thought about re-running Round Britain.
All the hard work was done for the 2008 race, so my logic says it should be much easier to re-run, but even with Neil M et al behind it they failed to get that re-run.

http://www.mamarine.com/cowes_week_e...-Boat-Race.php

Reading that, it looks like they were trying to put something on that was going to be much more extravagant than the RB 2008, perhaps if they'd stuck to Mike's well proven formula, it might have happened!
Marinautic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #894
BananaShark Member

Having been told of the latest news of the Venture Cup my lovely wife had a few choice words to say:

Didn't RB12 get cancelled quite close to the start and didn't a bunch of people lose money on that? She then said didn't Mike Lloyd cancel Cowes Monaco after taking quite a bit of money (mine included)? Isn't the Venture Cup the same race a year later? Are people going to lose more money again? Her observation is that as a group powerboat racers are obviously a bunch of hopelessly optimistic gullible idiots being taken advantage of.

Personally I think that's a bit strong but there does seem to be a pattern forming here - I really hope Aidan gets his sh1t together and sorts something out because I like him and I know he's been working very hard ..... time will tell!

Old 12-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Having been told of the latest news of the Venture Cup my lovely wife had a few choice words to say:

Didn't RB12 get cancelled quite close to the start and didn't a bunch of people lose money on that? She then said didn't Mike Lloyd cancel Cowes Monaco after taking quite a bit of money (mine included)? Isn't the Venture Cup the same race a year later? Are people going to lose more money again? Her observation is that as a group powerboat racers are obviously a bunch of hopelessly optimistic gullible idiots being taken advantage of.

Personally I think that's a bit strong but there does seem to be a pattern forming here - I really hope Aidan gets his sh1t together and sorts something out because I like him and I know he's been working very hard ..... time will tell!
At last someone in the cookee camp talks sense
Old 12-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #896

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post

I take exception to that comment Cookee. Your wife needs to know the FULL facts and not just comments from you. Cowes to Monte-Carlo was organised by MPA Powerboats Events Ltd, a limited company with three Directors submitting full audited accounts each year to Companies House showing ALL expenditures and monies spent, something that you can check out quite easily.

The final three Directors included myself, Alan Goodwin and Aidan Foley. Alan & Aidan - who were shareholders of MPA - went on to try to organise the London to Monte-Carlo - with others after I resigned my Directorship of MPA Powerboat Events Ltd. I had personally spent over 6,000hrs over two years - UNPAID - and a considerable amount of my own money - again - to try to make that race happen only to finally to run into a brick wall with only a few teams wanting to take part instead of the original 48. However, that wasn't the only reason for cancelling the race but that is another story. So be careful about throwing careless words around, it's not appreciated.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #897
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
I take exception to that comment Cookee. Your wife needs to know the FULL facts and not just comments from you. Cowes to Monte-Carlo was organised by MPA Powerboats Events Ltd, a limited company with three Directors submitting full audited accounts each year to Companies House showing ALL expenditures and monies spent, something that you can check out quite easily.

The final three Directors included myself, Alan Goodwin and Aidan Foley. Alan & Aidan - who were shareholders of MPA - went on to try to organise the London to Monte-Carlo - with others after I resigned my Directorship of MPA Powerboat Events Ltd. I had personally spent over 6,000hrs over two years - UNPAID - and a considerable amount of my own money - again - to try to make that race happen only to finally to run into a brick wall with only a few teams wanting to take part instead of the original 48. However, that wasn't the only reason for cancelling the race but that is another story. So be careful about throwing careless words around, it's not appreciated.
ML.
Sorry should have said origianl Cowes Monaco committee/organisers - I was only trying to separate you from the current race.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post

ML.

Why throw your toys out the pram. Can't people make comments if you read the post it was cookee's wife's opinion.

So how many teams are out of pocket not just there entry fee but build costs.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #899

Hunton maybe that question should be aimed if the race does not go ahead !
Untill we are notified otherwise I take it that it is in fact happening.
Red-Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Leader View Post
Hunton maybe that question should be aimed if the race does not go ahead !
Untill we are notified otherwise I take it that it is in fact happening.
I hope it does but I wont hold my breath

Mike 6,000 hours over 2 years is a 62.5 hour week that's if you took 4 weeks holiday.
No comments please about the holidays