Boatmad.com

Old 23-02-2014, 03:00 PM   #701

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
blimp

"Boatmad obviously serves the first group, and if you recall the websites for RB 08 and the planned RB11 and RB12, these were mostly speaking to that same audience. For us, we can speak to racers in a more controlled manner through our group emails - which you've been receiving from the outset".

I looked after the Round Britain 2008 web site from nearly the start of the idea to the completion of the race.

From the start Mike Lloyd would regularly - if not on a daily basis email me information about competitors, photographs that he had been sent etc. and I would keep the site updated.

As we got nearer to the event, (3 months) the Race Secretary, Annie Beakhust would make sure all competitor entrant info on the site collated with her forms and paperwork.

Boatmad acted as a forum for competitors and others to have their say about the forthcoming race. Some ideas were adopted by the Race Committee - Some were disregarded, but overall the experience even with historical "Rose tinted Glasses" was positive for the outcome of the Round Britain 2008.

blimp

Delivering just the 'race' element simply isn't enough anymore - at least for something like London to Monte-Carlo. The costs are significant and there just aren't enough revenues available to run the race alone. That's why it needs to expand out into an event where you can hope to gain the necessary funding the run all the parts.

I am finding it hard to see where you are delivering "the 'race' element"?
With your group emails, there has been no mention of specifics at the Port of Calls.

Petrol / Diesel requirements. Mike Lloyd was told categorically by Tim Powell during a Round Britain 2008 meeting, "If you haven't got fuel, boats can't race". Mike then had to go out and find a commercial solution for this for the harbours and marinas they couldn't supply (It wasn't cheap).

Safety. Are Venture Cup competitors going to be fitted with trackers? Who will provide them and who will be the Safety Officer that a competitor can trust when their boat is sinking off the cost of Portugal?

blimp

That's why it needs to expand out into an event where you can hope to gain the necessary funding the run all the parts.

I totally agree.

Do I book up my Ryanair flight to Malaga to spend a few Euros at your Event in Puerto Banús with my ex-pat and Spanish friends in June?

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #702

John - every single one of the areas you mentioned is being managed and full details will only be announced when we have (a) absolute written confirmation (or in the case of the trackers, full testing completed) and (b) full approval from race approvals.

We will, however, be giving the teams advisories on the venues (facilities, locations, general info, etc.) and this will be starting in the next couple of weeks.

blimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #703

Part of the fun with a race/event like this is to build up the excitement and expectetions together with other competitors. And solve the problems together.
Because of the organizers "send me an email" attitude there is no discussion -anywhere. Not here on Boatmad, not on VentureCups website, not on Venture Cups FB-page!
You must remember that most of the people on the entrylist has not been farther away than Jersey with their boats. So there must be a lot of questions out there...

The last information about the RACE was a mail from Aidan on Oct 22 with the list of entries. After that all the mails have been about the EVENT.
The lack of information about the RACE and the "no discussions-oneway communication" is not good.
Aidan told me a month ago that the new website "will be up in 10 days". Now it looks like it will be published in the beginning of April together with the "major launch".
Thats TWO MONTHS before the race...

As some of you might have seen I have my boat for sale. I built the boat for the RB 12 and Cowes-MonteCarlo and when the race was cancelled last year I lost some of the spark.
Before Mike pulled the plug for the CTC in Dec 2012 I was prepared to take all the money needed out of my own pocket. Mainly because of the great memories from the RB 08-race.
But as time goes on and the Venture Cup goes in a direction I don´t really like, its harder and harder to motivate spending £50-60000 on a single race.
But. You never know. It´s a hell of a challenge...

So John. Keep your flightreservation open......
Mikko Oikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #704

Hi Mikko

It's never easy to get the balance just right for everyone. We try to do the best for all teams and we make decisions that we feel are for their benefit. We took on this project under difficult circumstances and there are five racing teams directly involved in the management of the Venture Cup, so their concerns/requirements are largely in line with all other teams.

This time last year we'd never, as an organisation, run a race ...but in June we ran the longest marathon race in 5 years. It wasn't perfect by any means, but the racing itself was exciting for the teams and supporters. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we're more than open enough to respond to suggestions or well-intended criticism.

As a possible entrant, you feel that more information should be shared here on boatmad and we therefore need to listen to that and do more. You'll understand that some have a fondness for 'causing mischief' on here, but we can only hope that most will see the 'wood from the trees'

Specific race details will continue to be sent out by email - eg: course details for Jersey were sent out last week incl. lat/long info for marks - along with other info, but we'll put more 'substance' here on BM ....entry lists, etc.
Old 23-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #705

Whoops ....correction ...I meant to add 'in the UK' to the 'longest race in 5 years bit'.
Old 23-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #706

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
blimp

You'll understand that some have a fondness for 'causing mischief' on here.

Love it!

I organised 4 x Cowes Events without spouting a lot of old bollocks and got the job done.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #707

Interests: Boats, skiing pets
Cruising area: wherever there is work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimp View Post
Hi Mikko

It's never easy to get the balance just right for everyone. We try to do the best for all teams and we make decisions that we feel are for their benefit. We took on this project under difficult circumstances and there are five racing teams directly involved in the management of the Venture Cup, so their concerns/requirements are largely in line with all other teams.

This time last year we'd never, as an organisation, run a race ...but in June we ran the longest marathon race in 5 years. It wasn't perfect by any means, but the racing itself was exciting for the teams and supporters. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we're more than open enough to respond to suggestions or well-intended criticism.

As a possible entrant, you feel that more information should be shared here on boatmad and we therefore need to listen to that and do more. You'll understand that some have a fondness for 'causing mischief' on here, but we can only hope that most will see the 'wood from the trees'

Specific race details will continue to be sent out by email - eg: course details for Jersey were sent out last week incl. lat/long info for marks - along with other info, but we'll put more 'substance' here on BM ....entry lists, etc.
Blimp

I take it some of this refers to me well im afraid just because im not an entrant im allowed to ask questions even if you continually 'fob' me off! Claire
Mrs Smillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Smillie View Post
Blimp

I take it some of this refers to me well im afraid just because im not an entrant im allowed to ask questions even if you continually 'fob' me off! Claire
Of course you can. But does Aiden and co have to answer.

They should answer any one that has put there money were the mouth is or potentially putting there money were there mouth is.

May I ask you why you want to know?
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #709

Hi

I want to know

Eric
Old 23-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #710

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
Of course you can. But does Aiden and co have to answer.

They should answer any one that has put there money were the mouth is or potentially putting there money were there mouth is.

May I ask you why you want to know?
HUNTON69
The reason I would like to know is firstly my husband will be racing and secondly if im following the race and taking time off i would rather know sooner rather than a few weeks before the race!! Claire
Old 24-02-2014, 12:00 AM   #711

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

If your husband is racing wont he have the racers email?
Old 24-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
If your husband is racing wont he have the racers email?
Yes he does but they are very few and far between and not informative at all Eric has sent several emails to certain committee members asking questions and he too gets fobbed off it is a joke!
Old 24-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #713

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

On a lighter note, may I suggest that competitors taking part keep a very good look out. Just read that 516 40' containers fell off a Container ship on Feb 7th in the Bay of Biscay (waves of 50ft tipped them off) and are out there floating somewhere!!

ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #714

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

Quote:
Some people can not stop having a dig at others can they!!!! Claire
I know what you mean.
Old 24-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #715

Quote:
HUNTON69
The reason I would like to know is firstly my husband will be racing and secondly if im following the race and taking time off i would rather know sooner rather than a few weeks before the race!! Claire
I will help you out. You need to book some days on in June
Old 24-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #716

If its any like RB8 I wouldn't book to many days off
Old 24-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #717

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
If its any like RB8 I wouldn't book to many days off

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #718
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
On a lighter note, may I suggest that competitors taking part keep a very good look out. Just read that 516 40' containers fell off a Container ship on Feb 7th in the Bay of Biscay (waves of 50ft tipped them off) and are out there floating somewhere!!

ML.
Given the demand on race organisers to have a plan to recover sunken race boats in european waters, we can safely assume that Maersk will be picking all of these up or face a euro fine of epic proportions.

Or not.....
Old 24-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #719

Quote:
Hi

I want to know

Eric
Trouble maker !
Is this an argument or a heated discussion ?
Red-Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #720

Our understanding is that Maersk have indeed been advised that the 'authorities' consider those containers to be the property of Maersk and expect the company to recover them. In any case we'll obviously be keeping an eye on it.